SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

How Many Games Should've Tom Wilson Been Suspended For?

How Many Games?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Oct. 3, 2018 at 4:05 p.m.
Respond below and let us know what you think. I believe that the hit by itself should've only warranted about 3-4 games, but his history is deplorable. He's also shown no ability to learn from past mistakes. This one is gonna cost him deep $$$, so maybe he'll learn his lesson. This is why I hated paying him over $5M AAV! He's always suspended, and if he can't impose his physicality he's essentially a $1M AAV 4th line player.
Oct. 3, 2018 at 4:12 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Maybe a 20 game suspension will send a message to Wilson and to other players, that deliberate attempts to injure will result in long suspensions. So I'm all for the 20 games.
Willian_Cardoso liked this.
Oct. 3, 2018 at 4:34 p.m.
Follow capfriendly

mhockey91 and Willian_Cardoso liked this.
Oct. 3, 2018 at 5:06 p.m.
Quoting: Banks

HAHA. $1,260,162.44!!! I think this is the most costly suspensions in NHL history. If I'm wrong, let me know. I read somewhere that in the 1920's a player named Coutu on the Habs was given a lifetime ban for assaulting two officials in a playoff game, but I doubt he forfeited over $1M way back then HAHA!
mhockey91 liked this.
Oct. 3, 2018 at 5:16 p.m.
Buchnevesey
Infinite
Oct. 3, 2018 at 6:16 p.m.
Still a Leafs Fan
not 20
Oct. 3, 2018 at 7:15 p.m.
Quoting: Brian2016
Respond below and let us know what you think. I believe that the hit by itself should've only warranted about 3-4 games, but his history is deplorable. He's also shown no ability to learn from past mistakes. This one is gonna cost him deep $$$, so maybe he'll learn his lesson. This is why I hated paying him over $5M AAV! He's always suspended, and if he can't impose his physicality he's essentially a $1M AAV 4th line player.

He can impose his physicality without going out there headhunting.
Oct. 4, 2018 at 3:52 a.m.
Repeat offenders HAVE to be taught a lesson. There’s no place for that garbage in the leauge. If a player like Bäckström made that hit with a clean record he’d obviously get less, but repeat offenders MUST be made an example of.
Oct. 4, 2018 at 2:30 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
This isn’t a popular opinion among Caps fans, but I like it. I think a suspension of this magnitude is good for a repeat offender, especially when this hit was not at all necessary. There’s nothing wrong with hitting a guy as he cuts across the middle, and yes, Sundqvist should’ve had his head up. But Wilson got him in the head, period. That’s not okay.

I hope this sends a message to him. He’s extremely effective when he’s not doing stuff like this, but we can’t afford to be without him for long, extended periods. A 20 game suspension should be a huge wake up call that it’s time to stop. Even his own fan base is getting annoyed by it.
mhockey91 and Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Oct. 4, 2018 at 3:02 p.m.
Quoting: palhal
Maybe a 20 game suspension will send a message to Wilson and to other players, that deliberate atpts to injure will result in long suspensions. So I'm all for the 20 games.

Question What is the length of the suspension if the hit was on McDavid or Mathews? or is it a suspension if McDavid or Mathews make that hit.
Oct. 4, 2018 at 3:28 p.m.
Quoting: krakowitz
This isn’t a popular opinion among Caps fans, but I like it. I think a suspension of this magnitude is good for a repeat offender, especially when this hit was not at all necessary. There’s nothing wrong with hitting a guy as he cuts across the middle, and yes, Sundqvist should’ve had his head up. But Wilson got him in the head, period. That’s not okay.

I hope this sends a message to him. He’s extremely effective when he’s not doing stuff like this, but we can’t afford to be without him for long, extended periods. A 20 game suspension should be a huge wake up call that it’s time to stop. Even his own fan base is getting annoyed by it.

Agreed. He''s making too much money to be missing games. The game has changed...The Scott Stevens days are long over. Concussions are bad for the NHL and bad for the sport. Even the technically legal hits Wilson makes are dangerous. Sometimes I don't think he realizes just how strong and powerful he is, especially when he's skating at full speed across the middle of the ice.
mhockey91 liked this.
Oct. 4, 2018 at 4:08 p.m.
Quoting: mcoach69
Question What is the length of the suspension if the hit was on McDavid or Mathews? or is it a suspension if McDavid or Mathews make that hit.

McDavid and Matthews also haven't been suspended 4 times now in 102 games played... that's a pretty cherry-picking narrative you're trying to push there.
mhockey91 liked this.
Oct. 4, 2018 at 4:25 p.m.
Edited Oct. 4, 2018 at 4:34 p.m.
Quoting: mtdavis311
McDavid and Matthews also haven't been suspended 4 times now in 102 games played... that's a pretty cherry-picking narrative you're trying to push there.

Who is cherry-picking i'm asking a Question What is the length of the suspension if the hit was on McDavid or Mathews? or is it a suspension if McDavid or Mathews make that hit. Better yet is it a suspension for a first offense
Oct. 4, 2018 at 5:45 p.m.
Who is cherry-picking i'm asking a Question What is the length of the suspension if the hit was on McDavid or Mathews? or is it a suspension if McDavid or Mathews make that hit. Better yet is it a suspension for a first offense

I'll give it a shot. If this was a hit by a first timer it would probably be a 2 game suspension, in my opinion. It would still be a suspension if Matthews or McDavid made the hit b/c the league would need to show they're unbiased-remember the suspension on ANA Forward Andrew Cogliano last season that broke his consecutive games streak? They suspended him despite a lot of media backlash, and he was a first time offender. Finally, if Wilson were to make this hit on a superstar player AFTER he serves this suspension, I believe he would be suspended for AT LEAST 50 games! The league would not tolerate, nor should they tolerate, a dangerous hit that injures a "face of the league" type player.
mcoach69 and mhockey91 liked this.
Oct. 4, 2018 at 5:51 p.m.
Quoting: Brian2016
I'll give it a shot. If this was a hit by a first timer it would probably be a 2 game suspension, in my opinion. It would still be a suspension if Matthews or McDavid made the hit b/c the league would need to show they're unbiased-remember the suspension on ANA Forward Andrew Cogliano last season that broke his consecutive games streak? They suspended him despite a lot of media backlash, and he was a first time offender. Finally, if Wilson were to make this hit on a superstar player AFTER he serves this suspension, I believe he would be suspended for AT LEAST 50 games! The league would not tolerate, nor should they tolerate, a dangerous hit that injures a "face of the league" type player.

would 20 be the length if it was Matthews or McDavid that got hit
Oct. 4, 2018 at 9:25 p.m.

Yes. The league has to be able to justify their decision when Wilson appeals the suspension.
Oct. 5, 2018 at 5:43 p.m.

It doesn't matter who he hit. It's the fact that this is his 4th time being suspended in a calendar year.

League is sending a message to Wilson to clean his act up, or they're going to make sure he doesn't play. Keep in mind that doesn't even include a few borderline incidents with Wilson that didn't get suspensions during that time frame as well (ex. the hit on Dumoulin in the playoffs).

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit