SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

I am almost 100 sure Nylander will sign with Toronto

Oct. 4, 2018 at 2:13 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Give this a 5 star rating if you agree with me, he'll eventually re-sign. If you think he'll be traded, offer sheeted, or whatever, just rate 1 star.
Oct. 4, 2018 at 2:20 p.m.
Caps fan idk why
based off the one game Toronto played..... if they could get a solid rhd for him I would say do that, but then you need to find a team that values him at 8 million or whatever he actually wants. but if they are gonna have trouble beating teams like the habs maybe pay him? but with do I know im a caps fan
Billy316 liked this.
Oct. 4, 2018 at 2:20 p.m.
why use armchair gm ratings when you could just do a poll in the forums?
Oct. 4, 2018 at 2:32 p.m.
Jesus Christ Is King
Quoting: Capitalfail67
based off the one game Toronto played..... if they could get a solid rhd for him I would say do that, but then you need to find a team that values him at 8 million or whatever he actually wants. but if they are gonna have trouble beating teams like the habs maybe pay him? but with do I know im a caps fan

Spurgeon in MIN would be their best Trade Target IMO.
MIN has needs TML can address with Nylander or Without if TML took on the albatross Parise's contract i'm sure they'd make a good offer lol
Oct. 4, 2018 at 2:38 p.m.
Caps fan idk why
Quoting: Billy316
MIN has needs TML can address with Nylander or Without if TML took on the albatross Parise's contract i'm sure they'd make a good offer lol

ithnk the praise buyout is only like 750k / yr. I could be complete wrong but I think its close to that( im just being lazy and not 2x checking)... and he would be a solid pick for any team like habs that need center depth
Oct. 4, 2018 at 2:48 p.m.
Jesus Christ Is King
ithnk the praise buyout is only like 750k / yr. I could be complete wrong but I think its close to that( im just being lazy and not 2x checking)... and he would be a solid pick for any team like habs that need center depth

its not that low ,another 4 seasons before his buyout will be under a million

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator/zach-parise#results
Capitalfail67 liked this.
Oct. 4, 2018 at 2:50 p.m.
wont sign
Oct. 4, 2018 at 3:08 p.m.
Banned
He's signing in TO. There is no doubt.
rangersandislesfan liked this.
Oct. 4, 2018 at 3:10 p.m.
Banned

The problem with that is 2 fold.

1) All available Right handed defencemen are 27 or older. Trading a 22 year old elite offensive player for a defenceman leaving his prime is a terrible plan for the future.
2) All younger right handed defencemen will cost a kings ransom. Trouba for Nylander would be a close trade, but the Leafs would have to give way more than Trouba is worth to acquire him.
Oct. 4, 2018 at 3:18 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo

Piss poor effort from everyone.... I do however think our young D men did very well. Not to take anything away from the Habs, who I think played very well. Here’s hoping the whole team comes out fired up for saturday.
Oct. 4, 2018 at 3:26 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Harvey_13
wont sign

But he's an RFA. That's the weird part. RFAs re-sign. He's not a UFA.
Oct. 4, 2018 at 5:12 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Billy316

The age difference makes a trade of Nylander for Spurgeon bad. Doesn't matter what holes are being filled, the reality of the transaction is the best player is being moved for an older player who's best days are likely behind him. (A players prime is not 25-32 its 22-29, Spurgeon is 27 or 28 to he's exiting his prime.)
Oct. 4, 2018 at 5:37 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Here's my thoughts on Nylander:

Many people seem to think that the Leafs need Nylander to be a contender, when really our offence is still very high end without him. I personally think Kapanen could score 40+ on a line with Matthews and we have loads of Marlies who will soon enough be able to fill out middle six roles. I don't see anything wrong with moving Nylander for a high end RHD, simply because that is what is currently blocking the Leafs from winning a cup. We're one RHD from winning a Cup and we have RW's to spare, so I don't see why Dubas is reluctant to move an area of strength in order to fill out a major weakness.
Oct. 4, 2018 at 10:42 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Edited Oct. 4, 2018 at 11:22 p.m.
Quoting: Daryl

HD from winning a Cup and we have RW's to spare, so I don't see why Dubas is reluctant to move an area of strength in order to fill out a major weakness.

Here's my thought. Willie will sign as a Leaf.....and might not be till 2019.

You don't see why Dubas is reluctant to trade Nylander? 1. Other team may not want to pay Nylander more or much more that the Leafs are offering, so why would trade for a player that will still be a "hold out"
2. If Nylander goes to team that willing to pay him more than the Leafs, what happens next year, Marner and Matthews sit out home in October waiting for trade to team that will sign them for more money that the Leafs.
Oct. 5, 2018 at 10:07 a.m.
Banned

Many people seem to think that the Leafs need Nylander to be a contender, when really our offence is still very high end without him. I personally think Kapanen could score 40+ on a line with Matthews and we have loads of Marlies who will soon enough be able to fill out middle six roles. I don't see anything wrong with moving Nylander for a high end RHD, simply because that is what is currently blocking the Leafs from winning a cup. We're one RHD from winning a Cup and we have RW's to spare, so I don't see why Dubas is reluctant to move an area of strength in order to fill out a major weakness.

A few things here,

1) No one knows if there is actually anything stopping the Leafs from winning the cup, if they won it with the lineup they have, it wouldn't really be a stretch.
2) Moving Nylander for a high end Right Handed D isn't as easy as it sounds. There are two issues with that, 1) anyone that could be a 1-1 would be older than Nylander by several years. Trading a 22 year old Nylander for a 28-30 year old defenceman is a waste of Nylander's value. He's only getting better while that defenceman will have played his best hockey already. 2) a younger high end defenceman will cost significantly more than Nylander and therefor is a bad deal, overpaying for the sake of making a deal is bad management. (Chiarelli?)
3) fixing the 1 hole the Leafs have on D, can be done in a far more prudent manner than trading Nylander. Tanev for example can likely be obtained for a fair price and would fit in nicely next to Rielly for the next 2 seasons, giving Liljegren time to develop and take over in 2 seasons.
4) Watching Ennis play next to Matthews is getting hard, he is only a rush player, has zero cycle ability and isn't the best in his own zone. Nylander is a massive upgrade over Ennis.
Oct. 5, 2018 at 10:25 a.m.
get ur corsi up
Quoting: LoganOllivier
A few things here,

1) No one knows if there is actually anything stopping the Leafs from winning the cup, if they won it with the lineup they have, it wouldn't really be a stretch.
2) Moving Nylander for a high end Right Handed D isn't as easy as it sounds. There are two issues with that, 1) anyone that could be a 1-1 would be older than Nylander by several years. Trading a 22 year old Nylander for a 28-30 year old defenceman is a waste of Nylander's value. He's only getting better while that defenceman will have played his best hockey already. 2) a younger high end defenceman will cost significantly more than Nylander and therefor is a bad deal, overpaying for the sake of making a deal is bad management. (Chiarelli?)
3) fixing the 1 hole the Leafs have on D, can be done in a far more prudent manner than trading Nylander. Tanev for example can likely be obtained for a fair price and would fit in nicely next to Rielly for the next 2 seasons, giving Liljegren time to develop and take over in 2 seasons.
4) Watching Ennis play next to Matthews is getting hard, he is only a rush player, has zero cycle ability and isn't the best in his own zone. Nylander is a massive upgrade over Ennis.

1) I think we saw last year against Boston how they walked all over us in our zone. Honestly I was surprised we lasted 6 games, as by the way we were outplayed it should of been much shorter. Now imagine the difference if on offence we not had Tavares instead of Nylander, and then in defence we had someone like Trouba, Dumba, etc. Would of been a different series.
2) You make a fair point and I agree that trading for a 28-30 year old is a waste of Nylanders value. Honestly I could see a deal around Trouba or Dumba materializing, or perhaps something like Manson+.
3) Tanev spends have season injured, and Liljegren won’t be NHL ready until next year and even then he won’t be a top pairing guy. I like the idea of acquiring somebody like Stralman and keeping Nylander, but if Nylander is bent on 8+ million than we might as well use that cap elsewhere.
4) Id play Kapanen with Matthews if Nylander were traded. Ennis would go to the fourth/third line.
Oct. 5, 2018 at 10:34 a.m.
Banned
1) I think we saw last year against Boston how they walked all over us in our zone. Honestly I was surprised we lasted 6 games, as by the way we were outplayed it should of been much shorter. Now imagine the difference if on offence we not had Tavares instead of Nylander, and then in defence we had someone like Trouba, Dumba, etc. Would of been a different series.
2) You make a fair point and I agree that trading for a 28-30 year old is a waste of Nylanders value. Honestly I could see a deal around Trouba or Dumba materializing, or perhaps something like Manson+.
3) Tanev spends have season injured, and Liljegren won’t be NHL ready until next year and even then he won’t be a top pairing guy. I like the idea of acquiring somebody like Stralman and keeping Nylander, but if Nylander is bent on 8+ million than we might as well use that cap elsewhere.
4) Id play Kapanen with Matthews if Nylander were traded. Ennis would go to the fourth/third line.

I hear what you are saying and I agree at times, the Leafs looked hopeless in their own zone against Boston. Boston had a perfect game plan against TO and they didn't respond. If you take away the left side of the ice on breakouts and force TO up the right side, bad things happen. Hainsey just can't to where he needs to be fast enough anymore and he gets wrecked. I think Zaitsev will be vastly improved this year and Oz does look like a player. I think the two weak links are Hainsey and Gardiner. Gardiner is good, but he can get exposed, Boston forced him to move the puck with his feet because they took away his patented stretch pass. He just isn't fast enough to skate out of that anymore.

Tanev has had bad luck with injuries that's for sure, however, I would say its more luck than it is a recurring thing. He's broken bones and stuff like that isn't injury prone as much as bad luck. Also I do think TO's training staff is way better than Vancouver's which would help with his help as well.

As for Dumba or Manson, both would cost far more than Nylander, not because they are that much better but because the market for top end young right handers is about as overvalued as you can get. Just look at what happened in Edmonton. No chance you can get Dumba or Manson (Montour would be my ask because he's younger) in a straight up trade, it'd likely cost Nylander, a 1st and a prospect which is a gross overpayment.

As for Nylander's asking price, he'll bend. He doesn't really have a choice, sure he can go elsewhere but he doesn't want to, so he's going to have to adjust a bit. I think he'll make a consession and very quickly they'll come to an agreement around 7 million which is a fair price to pay.
Oct. 8, 2018 at 11:24 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: LoganOllivier
I hear what you are saying and I agree at times, the Leafs looked hopeless in their own zone against Boston. Boston had a perfect game plan against TO and they didn't respond. If you take away the left side of the ice on breakouts and force TO up the right side, bad things happen. Hainsey just can't to where he needs to be fast enough anymore and he gets wrecked. I think Zaitsev will be vastly improved this year and Oz does look like a player. I think the two weak links are Hainsey and Gardiner. Gardiner is good, but he can get exposed, Boston forced him to move the puck with his feet because they took away his patented stretch pass. He just isn't fast enough to skate out of that anymore.

Tanev has had bad luck with injuries that's for sure, however, I would say its more luck than it is a recurring thing. He's broken bones and stuff like that isn't injury prone as much as bad luck. Also I do think TO's training staff is way better than Vancouver's which would help with his help as well.

As for Dumba or Manson, both would cost far more than Nylander, not because they are that much better but because the market for top end young right handers is about as overvalued as you can get. Just look at what happened in Edmonton. No chance you can get Dumba or Manson (Montour would be my ask because he's younger) in a straight up trade, it'd likely cost Nylander, a 1st and a prospect which is a gross overpayment.

As for Nylander's asking price, he'll bend. He doesn't really have a choice, sure he can go elsewhere but he doesn't want to, so he's going to have to adjust a bit. I think he'll make a consession and very quickly they'll come to an agreement around 7 million which is a fair price to pay.

Manson is a good 2nd pairing d-man, maybe #2 guy. If Anaheim could get Nylander for him, they'd have to consider it. But if you're going to try and trade for a defenseman, why give up Nylander? Try to get one for picks/prospects and if you can't do that, just remember that Pittsburgh won 2 cups (or at least the 2017 one) with team defence. On paper, that 2017 Penguins defence wasn't great, but they had great team defence. So i don't see why they'd trade Nylander at all. I agree he'll sign in Toronto. Most likely a long-term deal IMO.
Oct. 9, 2018 at 10:46 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Manson is a good 2nd pairing d-man, maybe #2 guy. If Anaheim could get Nylander for him, they'd have to consider it. But if you're going to try and trade for a defenseman, why give up Nylander? Try to get one for picks/prospects and if you can't do that, just remember that Pittsburgh won 2 cups (or at least the 2017 one) with team defence. On paper, that 2017 Penguins defence wasn't great, but they had great team defence. So i don't see why they'd trade Nylander at all. I agree he'll sign in Toronto. Most likely a long-term deal IMO.

You are preaching to the choir my friend.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll