SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Gards problems are overblown

Oct. 9, 2018 at 3:18 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: MTLaveragefan
Well pts on a high scoring team isn't that crazy -> try making 42pts on the MTL roster (Petry)

- points are not everything, Petry had 42pts but he was -26 and a liability.

Yes, just ignore the fact that he dragged around the corpse of Ron Hainsey and played on the shut down pair, facing the toughest opponents constantly...
Oct. 9, 2018 at 3:19 p.m.
I post sometimes
Quoting: Random2152
You do realized you've said nothing to refute his claims here, and are just disregarding everything that has been said as if it means nothing right?

I'm in class, I have to take notes AND argue with you - I don't have time to supply stastitical evidence ahahha
Oct. 9, 2018 at 3:19 p.m.
I post sometimes
Yes, just ignore the fact that he dragged around the corpse of Ron Hainsey and played on the shut down pair, facing the toughest opponents constantly...

So did Petry ->

Reilly also played with AM34 and Marner...
Oct. 9, 2018 at 3:21 p.m.
I post sometimes
Also, I'm arguing with two guys at the same time and my midterm-tired brain cannot handle it.
Oct. 9, 2018 at 3:21 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
So did Petry ->

Petry played with an awful partner all year?
Did he also not play with Drouin, Patches, Galch, Gallagher etc?
Oct. 9, 2018 at 3:24 p.m.
I post sometimes

yep -> he played with ALZNER ahahhah
Oct. 9, 2018 at 3:25 p.m.
I post sometimes

except Gally, none of these guy reached 30 goals...

while TML had 3-4?
Oct. 9, 2018 at 3:29 p.m.
Its not only turnovers.. its the IQ overall and lack of effort physically. What I see when Gardiner plays is a guy with loads of skill, with good speed and a good shot but finds himself in places he shouldn't be. He pinches when he shouldn't giving up 2 on one rushes the other way, he is consistently caught puck watching in the D-Zone and loses coverage a lot. Rather than taking the body of the puck carrier he lunges for the puck often times taking himself out of position or letting the carrier fly by him.
He consistently uses the center of the ice on clearing attempts over trying off the glass or up the boards which leads to better chances for the other team over more board play, granted at this point I have to think its the Leafs' Defensive system at fault here.
When I say physical play I don't mean hitting but what I refer to is having proper body position on the opposing players to block their path or lean on them in battles or clearing the front of the net... A lot of the goals scored on Freddy is because he can't see the puck and I know that net front traffic can't be eliminated, Gardiner could use a little more effort.
At this stage the Leafs don't need their Dmen to take unnecessary risks. they need Dmen to move the puck to their wealth of talented forwards and be vigilant of defense. I like Gardiner but he needs to be dialed back.
Oct. 9, 2018 at 4:10 p.m.
Banned
Because he puts on a show - don't get me wrong I LOVED Subban with the habs... he was, sometimes, the only one giving me my money's worth - but he is not as good as everybody claims.

Everyone outside of Montreal's management group and fanbase have Subban as a top 5 defenceman in the league. But you are right, everyone is wrong and Bergevin knows whats what.
Random2152 liked this.
Oct. 9, 2018 at 4:11 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Can you point me to any stats for that? I do not know of any that deal with that, so it is hard to quantify. I'd be willing to be Gards is not far off the average.

These are easier just noted by watching him play. He makes a few poor decisions and is weak (not physical) in his end. Those are his two draw backs. The fact of the matter is we out chance the other team when he is on the ice. Gardiner can be very effective but needs someone defensive and physical to be paired with. He is certainly not the weakest and no where near the villain everyone makes him out to be.
Random2152 liked this.
Oct. 9, 2018 at 4:11 p.m.
Banned
So did Petry ->

Neither of those two players are defenceman.
Oct. 9, 2018 at 4:14 p.m.
Banned
yep -> he played with ALZNER ahahhah

He didn't actually play much time with Alzner, Alzner was a terrible player until he was put with Juulsen, I believe Petry played the majority of his season with Mete and Benn. Eitherway, Petry is a solid player. Terrific second pairing guy.
Oct. 9, 2018 at 4:17 p.m.
Banned
I'm in class, I have to take notes AND argue with you - I don't have time to supply stastitical evidence ahahha

You are using laughter in odd places.

"I'm a student who is not paying attention in class, I don't have time to further waste my time while being educated to argue with you guys who are legitimately trying to have a conversation about hockey while I throw out opinions that have no statistics to back them up. You guys are so stupid lol."

Seems like you should probably spend more time on your education there dude, clearly you have some gaps in your communication skills.
Oct. 9, 2018 at 4:58 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Two years ago when Karlsson and Burns had their great seasons, they were # 1 and 2 in giveaways. Players that handle the puck a lot will have more giveaways. It's really a tough stat to analyze.
MTLaveragefan liked this.
Oct. 10, 2018 at 8:55 a.m.
I post sometimes
Quoting: LoganOllivier
You are using laughter in odd places.

"I'm a student who is not paying attention in class, I don't have time to further waste my time while being educated to argue with you guys who are legitimately trying to have a conversation about hockey while I throw out opinions that have no statistics to back them up. You guys are so stupid lol."

Seems like you should probably spend more time on your education there dude, clearly you have some gaps in your communication skills.

add the fact that I am arguing in my second language with guys who are a bit too intense about banter,
Oct. 10, 2018 at 9:22 a.m.
Banned
add the fact that I am arguing in my second language with guys who are a bit too intense about banter,

Were you in English class and pointless arguments were part of a class assignment?
Oct. 10, 2018 at 10:11 a.m.
I post sometimes
Quoting: LoganOllivier
Were you in English class and pointless arguments were part of a class assignment?

No, Insurance Law - great course, awful teacher

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll