SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Top 11 Worst Contracts

Which Team has Been Hurt the Most by Bad Contracts Over the Last Few Seasons?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Oct. 15, 2018 at 1:19 a.m.
All it takes in the Salary Cap Era is one or two bad/expensive contracts and a team can be buried in the standings for several years. Look at what Tim Murray did in Buffalo or How Detroit has struggled since making the playoffs for a quarter century straight. There's no doubt about it: Bad contracts will decimate teams. Here are the 10 worst contracts right now, in my opinion. Notice how many of these teams haven't been successful recently. I won't include players on LTIR because their teams get cap relief (Zetterberg, Perry). Nor will I include players buried in the minors (i.e. Matt Moulson). Also, these 11 names are in no particular order as I believe Bobby Ryan to hold the worst contract in NHL history.
1. Loui Eriksson, VAN $6M AAV
2. Kyle Okposo, BUF $6M AAV
3. Kevin Shattenkirk, NYR $6.65M AAV
4. Marc Staal, NYR $5.7M AAV
5. Ryan Callahan, TBL $5.8M AAV
6. Ryan Kessler, ANA $6.875M AAV
7. Jonathan Ericsson, DET $4.25M AAV
8. Brent Seabrook, CHI $6.875M AAV
9. Justin Abdelkader, DET $4.25M AAV
10. Bobby Ryan, OTT $7.25M AAV
11. Brandon Dubinsky, CBJ $5.85M
Oct. 15, 2018 at 1:40 a.m.
Tampa Bay needs to figure out what to do w/ Palat, Callahan, and Killorn if they want to keep Point, Gourde, and Paquette.
Oct. 15, 2018 at 1:46 a.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Quoting: Brian2016
Tampa Bay needs to figure out what to do w/ Palat, Callahan, and Killorn if they want to keep Point, Gourde, and Paquette.

Are you suggesting that they deal Palat?
Oct. 15, 2018 at 1:51 a.m.
Zach Parise needs to be on that list for sure
Oct. 15, 2018 at 2:14 a.m.
Quoting: krakowitz
Are you suggesting that they deal Palat?

I don't think they have much of a choice. Tyler Johnson is gonna be trade bait too. Point is gonna get a big extension, probably north of $6M for 8 years. That deal alone will put Tampa about $8M over the cap (Kucherov's extension will go in effect too). They simply can't keep the $5M guys around when the young guys are already better. I expect a major roster overhaul this coming summer.
Oct. 15, 2018 at 4:34 a.m.
Quoting: MrBooth
Zach Parise needs to be on that list for sure

Parise still contributes though. He's clearly not worth anywhere near what he's being paid and he still has 7 years remaining on his current deal. I'd much rather have him on my team than guys like Loui Ericsson or Bobby Ryan, both of whom were never worth even half of what they're being paid now. All 3 are prime examples of why you shouldn't overpay for UFA's.
Oct. 15, 2018 at 6:35 a.m.
Habs
Parise still contributes though. He's clearly not worth anywhere near what he's being paid and he still has 7 years remaining on his current deal. I'd much rather have him on my team than guys like Loui Ericsson or Bobby Ryan, both of whom were never worth even half of what they're being paid now. All 3 are prime examples of why you shouldn't overpay for UFA's.

Kyle Okposo still contributes as well. I don't understand why he's ahead of guys like Ryan Callahan and Jonathan Ericsson who are barely NHL players anymore.
wojme and NARC311 liked this.
Oct. 15, 2018 at 8:10 a.m.
My Balls Itch
how the **** is lucic not in the top 2?
wojme and NARC311 liked this.
Oct. 15, 2018 at 8:21 a.m.
Parise still contributes though. He's clearly not worth anywhere near what he's being paid and he still has 7 years remaining on his current deal.

That, and the NMC on the contract, is what makes it so atrocious (for compression, Eriksson is currently on a NTC while Ryan’s term is only for 4 years.

I'd much rather have him on my team than guys like Loui Ericsson or Bobby Ryan, both of whom were never worth even half of what they're being paid now.

Loui Eriksson did put up 70 points during his Dallas years, while Bobby Ryan was a vital player in Anaheim playing shotgun to Getzlaf and Perry. The idea that they were never even worth $3M/$3.75M is inaccurate. I hate Eriksson just as much having to watch him every night, however context should be provided.
Oct. 15, 2018 at 9:30 a.m.
Okposo is nowhere near as bad of a contract as Lucic. Okposo is actually playing well now. If you factor in all of the clauses by the DRWs, they have the worst group of contracts.
Oct. 15, 2018 at 9:43 a.m.
Also how do you have okposo but not Frans Nielsen? This list is just confusing.
Oct. 15, 2018 at 10:18 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
All it takes in the Salary Cap Era is one or two bad/expensive contracts and a team can be buried in the standings for several years. Look at what Tim Murray did in Buffalo or How Detroit has struggled since making the playoffs for a quarter century straight. There's no doubt about it: Bad contracts will decimate teams. Here are the 10 worst contracts right now, in my opinion. Notice how many of these teams haven't been successful recently. I won't include players on LTIR because their teams get cap relief (Zetterberg, Perry). Nor will I include players buried in the minors (i.e. Matt Moulson). Also, these 11 names are in no particular order as I believe Bobby Ryan to hold the worst contract in NHL history.

I wouldn't put Shattenkirk on there. He's struggling a bit to start the season but was playing great last year, and then he got injured.
PrincessChloe liked this.
Oct. 15, 2018 at 10:39 a.m.
Below Market Value
I don't think they have much of a choice. Tyler Johnson is gonna be trade bait too. Point is gonna get a big extension, probably north of $6M for 8 years. That deal alone will put Tampa about $8M over the cap (Kucherov's extension will go in effect too). They simply can't keep the $5M guys around when the young guys are already better. I expect a major roster overhaul this coming summer.

Tampa would be foolish to trade Palat to keep guys like Paquette and Gourde. Paquette is nothing but a 4th liner, and while Gourde is good, Palat is probably the most complete forward in Tampa, except for perhaps Point. Plus he has a full NTC for the next three seasons. It makes more sense to trade Johnson and Killorn than it does Palat.
Rangsey liked this.
Oct. 15, 2018 at 11:09 a.m.
WentWughes

You are missing Alzner. Year two of his 5 year contract and has been a healthy scratch this entire year so far. With Montreal's weakish (to be fair, they do have the best 3rd pair in the NHL) with Ouellet and Been on the 3rd pairing, the only way I see Alzner getting in, is if a trade or an injury happens
Oct. 15, 2018 at 11:22 a.m.
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
You are missing Alzner. Year two of his 5 year contract and has been a healthy scratch this entire year so far. With Montreal's weakish (to be fair, they do have the best 3rd pair in the NHL) with Ouellet and Been on the 3rd pairing, the only way I see Alzner getting in, is if a trade or an injury happens

I excluded MTL b/c every move that Bergevin makes is appalling. In fact, next I'll do a list of the worst moves by Bergevin over the last few seasons. It'll take some time.
mhockey91 liked this.
Oct. 15, 2018 at 11:24 a.m.
Quoting: wojme
Also how do you have okposo but not Frans Nielsen? This list is just confusing.

The list is far from complete. Obviously DET made a ton of desperate signings in an attempt to remain relevant and it cost them several extra years of rebuilding. I'm still confused about the Vanek signing. If he exceeds 10G and 20 points this season I'll be surprised.
Oct. 15, 2018 at 11:26 a.m.
Quoting: DeadGuy63
how the **** is lucic not in the top 2?

Hahaha. Lucic us a terrible contract for the team he plays for. I still fell like he could be productive in the right system. He's much more skilled than a guy like Pat Maroon on STL. Then again, Maroon makes about 1/4 of Lucic's salary.
Oct. 15, 2018 at 11:29 a.m.
Quoting: OpaqueZoo
Kyle Okposo still contributes as well. I don't understand why he's ahead of guys like Ryan Callahan and Jonathan Ericsson who are barely NHL players anymore.

I didn't put these guys in any particular order. I suppose I used Okposo to summarize all of the other terrible signing made by Tim Murray. The fact that everyone who plays w/ Tavares always becomes less productive after he's gone obviously never occurred to him. Wait and see what happens to Josh Bailey and Andres Lee's numbers this season w/ NYI.
Oct. 15, 2018 at 1:53 p.m.
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS

Best third pair in the NHL? Definitely not.
krakowitz liked this.
Oct. 15, 2018 at 1:55 p.m.
Jack Johnson May not be top 10 but he’s a bad one. 5 years...
Oct. 15, 2018 at 3:30 p.m.
Quoting: mhockey91
Jack Johnson May not be top 10 but he’s a bad one. 5 years...

Yeah, and now that Shultz is out for 4 months w/ a broken leg, J.J. is gonna have a chance to prove all of his critics wrong, or maybe prove them all right, hahha.
mhockey91 liked this.
Oct. 15, 2018 at 3:32 p.m.
Yeah, and now that Shultz is out for 4 months w/ a broken leg, J.J. is gonna have a chance to prove all of his critics wrong, or maybe prove them all right, hahha.

Not a good scenario for the pens... he just has to be SOLID. Nothing flashy. If he can get his CF/CA% to 50% I will be extremely happy
Oct. 15, 2018 at 3:35 p.m.
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
I wouldn't put Shattenkirk on there. He's struggling a bit to start the season but was playing great last year, and then he got injured.

Fair enough w/ Shattenkirk. But the NYR could have a few names on the list. Brandon Smith was placed on waivers last season (he's back now). Ryan McDonagh was way way overpaid by Tampa, and Girardi. is still costing the Rangers from the buyout. Here's a little advice: Stop signing UFA Defensemen in their late 20's-early 30's to long term big money contracts. I can probably count on one hand how many of these work out. Draft and develop.
Oct. 15, 2018 at 3:40 p.m.
Not a good scenario for the pens... he just has to be SOLID. Nothing flashy. If he can get his CF/CA% to 50% I will be extremely happy

Yup. Letang has seriously upped his offensive game thus far to compensate for the loss of Shultz. 20 mins per game from Jack w/ the occasional Assist every 3-4 games. He actually does bring some offensive upside when he's playing well. But you're right: Defense first, no bad turnovers.
mhockey91 liked this.
Oct. 15, 2018 at 3:43 p.m.

Jack Johnson was a plus 23 two years ago w/ CBJ. He is definitely capable. Maybe he just needed to get away from Torts. No question they weren't getting along very well, especially at the end of last season. He was benched during the playoffs too.
mhockey91 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit