SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Comment on somehow getting D upgrade WITHOUT trading Nylander

Oct. 18, 2018 at 12:07 p.m.
GoCanada
Signing Petrovic
Oct. 18, 2018 at 12:22 p.m.
I think at some point the Leafs trade a 1st rounder. That is what contending teams do. Don't shop it, but if there is an opportunity to get a good long-term player for a trade that includes a 1st rounder, Leafs should consider it. People are going to jump on that with the absurd lines "We just came out of a re-build" and "You don't trade picks to build a team". There is a time and a place to make moves like that. That time is now for Toronto.

Also, there are some decent free agents out there like Tyler Myers, Anton Stralman, Alex Edler. Those guys would be worth a look.
Oct. 18, 2018 at 3:32 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: BeastModeUnknown
I think Kappy is a more of an untouchable piece now but I like the idea. maybe you can get a 2nd 3rd and leivo tho I like that look for Toronto

Leivo is untouchable, lol just kidding but I have been a fan of his for a couple of years. He is actually a pretty good player.
Oct. 18, 2018 at 3:35 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: arousedcat
I have to disagree. The reason he's been playing well is since he's with Matthews. When he wasn't playing with him he didn't put up anywhere close to the numbers he is now. Spurgeon is a top pairing RD, if the return isn't Kapanen or Nylander I think the Wild hold onto him. He'll fetch a massive return at the deadline this year or next if we explore that down the road.

But the age difference.
Quoting: Laudan
You ppl are fishing in wrong pond....it should be ANA or NSH ( CAR is out , they can keep Faulk, also VAN can keep Tanev and his doctor bills ), but those two will actually be in big cap crunch after this season and they are packed with D's ( maybe WPG also but they arent in Cap trouble )......so they will be forced to take what they will be able to afford and pay, mostly minor league players and pics for the future

Manson / Montour ( ANA ) or Ellis ( NSH ), so something like that comes to mind : https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/884345 ( three way with VAN included, so you dont lose Gardiner for nothing on 1st July )

I also think Kadri deserves to be No1 or No2 C in some other team, he was just "replaced" wit Tavares and likely Pacioretty type of trade can be pulled out for him where Tatar could result in some quality D, or as someone posted a trade Pesce <--> Kadri, 1st & 2nd : https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/172826

TVR one would also work fine, but thats more patching then upgrading

Kapanen is a bit overhyped atm, but if he gets us Spurgeon, i will yell hes Top 10 RWs in league every day

Okay, if you are talking about trading Kadri so he can be a 1C, then you have lost all credibility. I love Kadri but him at 3C at his salary is a coup for TO. You don't trade that, period.
Oct. 18, 2018 at 5:13 p.m.
Quoting: LoganOllivier
Okay, if you are talking about trading Kadri so he can be a 1C, then you have lost all credibility. I love Kadri but him at 3C at his salary is a coup for TO. You don't trade that, period.

I dont know if you noticed, but all our wishfull thinking that Matthews will be 10,5M max and Marner and Nylander would come "cheap" ( which in our simulations we are throwing around here made possible to squeeze all the players into a next years Cap ), are just starting to crumble....with the current performance those first 2 lines and PP units are showing...and that even without Nylander. So 4,5M for 3C doesnt look so sexy anymore, and Cap-wise with Pesce it would go 1 vs 1...
Oct. 18, 2018 at 5:24 p.m.
Banned
I dont know if you noticed, but all our wishfull thinking that Matthews will be 10,5M max and Marner and Nylander would come "cheap" ( which in our simulations we are throwing around here made possible to squeeze all the players into a next years Cap ), are just starting to crumble....with the current performance those first 2 lines and PP units are showing...and that even without Nylander. So 4,5M for 3C doesnt look so sexy anymore, and Cap-wise with Pesce it would go 1 vs 1...

So McDavid is the highest paid player in hockey and really, let's be honest here. He's worth every penny. He's not the problem.

Now Matthews, what will he deserve? Pretty anything under McDavid is a fair price. Let's say Matthews for 12 mill or less
Marner wants to be a winner in TO more than anything, he'll take a hometown discount for around 8.
Nylander is being lowballed so hard and I think its going to result in him bending a tad or he'll take a bridge. I'm totally against that but it is what it is.

Regardless of all that, Centre ice is an absolute must to be successful. Go cheap on the wings, trading Kadri though is just silly. Really who is more valuable, Kadri or Kapanen? Kadri by a long shot! He's an elite 3C and a very good 2C and at 4.5, its awesome! Find savings in areas that are easier to find players. Like depth wing positions.
Oct. 18, 2018 at 6:39 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
What level of d-man?
Oct. 18, 2018 at 7:34 p.m.
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
What level of d-man?

doesn't matter
Oct. 20, 2018 at 9:09 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: SammyT_51
And then TVR+Leivo+7th rounder for Parayko and Pietrangelo!!!!!

Don't need any Blues Dmen. Despite the the rumoured greatness of the Blues dmen over the years, I'd stay away from a team that is 5th last in GAA. And to think the Leafs need a defensive upgrade.
Oct. 20, 2018 at 9:36 a.m.
Quoting: palhal
Don't need any Blues Dmen. Despite the the rumoured greatness of the Blues dmen over the years, I'd stay away from a team that is 5th last in GAA. And to think the Leafs need a defensive upgrade.

yes Pietrangelo and Bouwmeester are lacking in fundamentals and in positioning on the ice. Allen is letting up some soft goals.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll