Forums/Armchair-GM

Nylander Offer Sheet Fixed

Created by: CaptainFlynnt
Team: 2018-19 Colorado Avalanche
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 20, 2018
Published: Oct. 20, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Screwed up the offer sheet compensation for the last team..

New offer sheet is for 3 or 4 years (as long as Colorado owns his RFA rights when this deal expires).

I know $8M is an overpayment for Nylander, but if you could trade a 1st, 2nd, and a 3rd for him (believing you will be a playoff team and these will be later round picks) I think most would do it.

It becomes easier for a team like Colorado since they have Ottawa's 1st and 3rd round picks this year anyways.

They are using their surplus of draft picks and cap space to acquire high end 22 year old forward. When the deal expires he will be an RFA so they will still own his rights.

Colorado should take advantage of MacKinnon's contract while they can, he is one of the best players in the league and only making $6.3M for the next 5 years. Use the cap savings from his contract to add some help.

What does Toronto do? If they match this offer they don't have the cap space to sign Matthew's and Marner next year. If they don't they get a low return for Nylander.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$8,000,000
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the COL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$79,500,000$71,758,928$0$2,195,000$7,741,072
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$5,571,429$5,571,429
LW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$6,300,000$6,300,000
C
UFA - 5
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, C
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
LW, C, RW
UFA - 1
$4,750,000$4,750,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RW
UFA - 6
$2,850,000$2,850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$885,833$885,833 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C
UFA - 2
$3,937,500$3,937,500
C, LW
UFA - 1
$1,975,000$1,975,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$833,333$833,333
C
RFA - 1
$950,000$950,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$728,333$728,333 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 5
$5,900,000$5,900,000
G
UFA - 1
$3,450,000$3,450,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RD
UFA - 2
$3,333,333$3,333,333
G
UFA - 3
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD
UFA - 1
$2,150,000$2,150,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,450,000$1,450,000
LD
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$100,000$100K)
C, RW
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 20, 2018 at 1:13 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Nylander wants a long term deal, this is why their aren’t any offersheets flying his way. Also 8m is an overpay that no GM’s are in favour of.
Oct. 20, 2018 at 1:14 p.m.
TiBo
Then the Leafs offer sheet Rantanen next year just for spite... This is why there are no offer sheets.
Oct. 20, 2018 at 1:16 p.m.
Habs
I imagine Toronto would be tempted to match this offer and then try to trade Nylander throughout the year.. however they would have a hard time finding a trade partner due to Nylander's high cap hit.

I don't get why the NHL even has offer sheets - GM's are too scared to use them. Offer sheets are there to ensure players are fairly compensated. Toronto is trying to make Nylander take a pay cut so they can stay competitive. He is fair game.
Oct. 20, 2018 at 1:17 p.m.
Habs
Quoting: Jamiepo
Nylander wants a long term deal, this is why their aren’t any offersheets flying his way. Also 8m is an overpay that no GM’s are in favour of.

A team with $12M in cap space should be. Nylaned is worth $6.5M, they are overpaying $1.5M. With the cap space they have that's not a tough sell.
Oct. 20, 2018 at 1:21 p.m.
Habs
Quoting: TiBo23
Then the Leafs offer sheet Rantanen next year just for spite... This is why there are no offer sheets.

Next year Wilson and Varlomov's conteact will expire. That's $10M. They already have $4M in cap space left this year and the cap will rise probably another $3 to $4M. Colorado has plenty of cap space to resign Ranatanen (they need $8M to sign him I think). If the leafs offer more than that the offer sheet compensation will go way up.

It's not the same situation as the leafs find themselves in with Nylander.
Oct. 20, 2018 at 1:28 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: CaptainFlynnt
A team with $12M in cap space should be. Nylaned is worth $6.5M, they are overpaying $1.5M. With the cap space they have that's not a tough sell.

It certainly is when you consider they have their own rfa’s to sign. If nylander is worth 8m on a bridge deal than how much will Rantanen be worth on 8 year deal? You’ve pretty much said he is worth over 10m on a bridge deal. You do understand that players will use this as a comparable right? So is Rantanen going to be a 13m player on an 8 year deal?

Look how many gm’s Are upset over the Draisatl contract. This deal is far worse. Most Management back the leafs up in saying they need to stand firm on nylanders salary.
Oct. 20, 2018 at 1:30 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Next year Wilson and Varlomov's conteact will expire. That's $10M. They already have $4M in cap space left this year and the cap will rise probably another $3 to $4M. Colorado has plenty of cap space to resign Ranatanen (they need $8M to sign him I think). If the leafs offer more than that the offer sheet compensation will go way up.

It's not the same situation as the leafs find themselves in with Nylander.

So nylander gets 8m over 4 years and you are going to try to give Rantanen 8m on a long term... bahahaha.

Think you just realized where you shot yourself in the foot.
Oct. 20, 2018 at 1:35 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
I imagine Toronto would be tempted to match this offer and then try to trade Nylander throughout the year.. however they would have a hard time finding a trade partner due to Nylander's high cap hit.

I don't get why the NHL even has offer sheets - GM's are too scared to use them. Offer sheets are there to ensure players are fairly compensated. Toronto is trying to make Nylander take a pay cut so they can stay competitive. He is fair game.

It’s not that they are scared it’s called the salary cap and Gm’s don’t want to start a chain reaction of inflated salaries.

I think offersheets could be very useful in mid tier players. Players. Players that after all the big deals are signed are thrown leftovers. Players on the leafs like johnsson leivo kappanen. These players will be offered less than what they are worth on short term deals. Perfect spot for an offersheet. Very small compensation and a decent player at a fair price that fits a teams need.
Oct. 20, 2018 at 1:36 p.m.
Habs
It certainly is when you consider they have their own rfa’s to sign. If nylander is worth 8m on a bridge deal than how much will Rantanen be worth on 8 year deal? You’ve pretty much said he is worth over 10m on a bridge deal. You do understand that players will use this as a comparable right? So is Rantanen going to be a 13m player on an 8 year deal?

Look how many gm’s Are upset over the Draisatl contract. This deal is far worse. Most Management back the leafs up in saying they need to stand firm on nylanders salary.

1) I think Draisaitl is worth every $ on his contract. He is an elite player. GM's should stop overpaying UFA's if they have a problem with youn stars getting paid.

2) If an agent brought up Nylander as a comparable I would straight up tell him we overpayed so the team couldn't match the offer sheet. I would sign Rantanen to $8M × 8 years.. if he does not like it sign an offer sheet for $10M and I'll take the 2 1st round picks, a 2nd, and 3rd. Or the ridiculous $13M which you suggested and I'll take 4 1st round picks. Me signing Nylander does not give Rantanen any more leverage unless I was planning on trying to sign him for less than $8M.. (no way he would be happy getting less than Nylander).

Nylander and a 1st > Rantanen.

In summary if Colorado was to do this, they need to be prepared to give Rantanen $8M.

Edit:
More to this, Toronto couldn't afford to offersheet Rantanen, that's why they can't afford to match the offersheet for Nylander.
Oct. 20, 2018 at 1:36 p.m.

It is when they have to sign Matthews and Marner next year. And you can bet someone will try to offer sheet Matthews if he isn’t locked up by then. Overpaying Nylander could put them in position to be unable to match it.
Oct. 20, 2018 at 1:42 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
1) I think Draisaitl is worth every $ on his contract. He is an elite player. GM's should stop overpaying UFA's if they have a problem with youn stars getting paid.

2) If an agent brought up Nylander as a comparable I would straight up tell him we overpayed so the team couldn't match the offer sheet. I would sign Rantanen to $8M × 8 years.. if he does not like it sign an offer sheet for $10M and I'll take the 2 1st round picks, a 2nd, and 3rd. Or the ridiculous $13M which you suggested and I'll take 4 1st round picks. Me signing Nylander does not give Rantanen any more leverage unless I was planning on trying to sign him for less than $8M.. (no way he would be happy getting less than Nylander).

Nylander and a 1st > Rantanen.

In summary if Colorado was to do this, they need to be prepared to give Rantanen $8M.

Yes and then his agent laughs at you because regardless of the offersheet you were willing to pay that to nylander his contract is now a comparable even in arbitration hearings and in non arb eligible contract talks. You have now set the bar for Rantanen to make 10m+ on a 4 year deal... like it or not Rantanen will not sign for less than nylander.
Oct. 20, 2018 at 1:42 p.m.
Habs
Quoting: Gofnut999
It is when they have to sign Matthews and Marner next year. And you can bet someone will try to offer sheet Matthews if he isn’t locked up by then. Overpaying Nylander could put them in position to be unable to match it.

Agreed, which is why I'm saying Colorado should overpay Nylander. Toronto will be unable to match it.
Oct. 20, 2018 at 1:47 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Agreed, which is why I'm saying Colorado should overpay Nylander. Toronto will be unable to match it.

And what about keerfoot? I’m sure he would be the next one in line saying where’s my piece after Rantanen.
Oct. 20, 2018 at 1:48 p.m.
Habs
Yes and then his agent laughs at you because regardless of the offersheet you were willing to pay that to nylander his contract is now a comparable even in arbitration hearings and in non arb eligible contract talks. You have now set the bar for Rantanen to make 10m+ on a 4 year deal... like it or not Rantanen will not sign for less than nylander.

See ya Rantanen, Nylander and a 1st > Rantanen. (Or depending on your definition of $10M+) Nylander and 3 1st >>>>>>>>> Rantanen a 2nd, and a 3rd.

I've thought about this man, I know you're a leafs fan so you're a little triggered about the potential of Nylander being offersheeted, but you aren't using enough logic in your arguement.

The only leverage this gives Rantanan is he can demand $8M. Anything more and he's not getting it from me, a team would have to offersheet him, in which case I would be recieving a higher compensation than what I gave up to get Nylander. That's good asset management.
Oct. 20, 2018 at 1:49 p.m.
Habs
And what about keerfoot? I’m sure he would be the next one in line saying where’s my piece after Rantanen.

Kerfoot is 24 years old and has one 40 pt season under his belt. I mean you're just reaching now he's not comparable to these players at all.
Oct. 20, 2018 at 1:55 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
See ya Rantanen, Nylander and a 1st > Rantanen. (Or depending on your definition of $10M+) Nylander and 3 1st >>>>>>>>> Rantanen a 2nd, and a 3rd.

I've thought about this man, I know you're a leafs fan so you're a little triggered about the potential of Nylander being offersheeted, but you aren't using enough logic in your arguement.

The only leverage this gives Rantanan is he can demand $8M. Anything more and he's not getting it from me, a team would have to offersheet him, in which case I would be recieving a higher compensation than what I gave up to get Nylander. That's good asset management.

Than you lose Rantanen and over pay nylander and keerfoot but does it make your team better?

As I said in my first post Nylander wants a long term deal so he may or may not sign this sheet. I doubt Toronto matches at 8m because if they did they could not trade nylander till 1year after first refusal. Sure they could probably sign marner to a bridge deal and match Colorado with 8m x 8years but I don’t think they want to put themselves in the position that you are putting your team in.

If we pay nylander 8m we owe mathews 16m... no thank you.
Oct. 20, 2018 at 1:56 p.m.
Habs
@Jamiepo I know you're a leafs fan, so it might be hard but you've gotta see where Nylander is coming from. If he takes a discount, do you think Toronto will expect the same thing from Matthew's and Marner next year? Probably not, Nylander's discount is going to them. Why should Nylander take $6.5M when Marner is gonna get $8M+? Why should Nylander have to sign a bridge deal (which makes it easier for Toronto to trade him) when they will lock up Matthews and Marner long term?

Nylander and his agent are taking a stand to make sure the leafs don't screw him over.
Oct. 20, 2018 at 1:58 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
@Jamiepo I know you're a leafs fan, so it might be hard but you've gotta see where Nylander is coming from. If he takes a discount, do you think Toronto will expect the same thing from Matthew's and Marner next year? Probably not, Nylander's discount is going to them. Why should Nylander take $6.5M when Marner is gonna get $8M+? Why should Nylander have to sign a bridge deal (which makes it easier for Toronto to trade him) when they will lock up Matthews and Marner long term?

Nylander and his agent are taking a stand to make sure the leafs don't screw him over.

How is 6.5m a discount? Fair market value is not a discount...
Oct. 20, 2018 at 2:00 p.m.
Habs
Than you lose Rantanen and over pay nylander and keerfoot but does it make your team better?

As I said in my first post Nylander wants a long term deal so he may or may not sign this sheet. I doubt Toronto matches at 8m because if they did they could not trade nylander till 1year after first refusal. Sure they could probably sign marner to a bridge deal and match Colorado with 8m x 8years but I don’t think they want to put themselves in the position that you are putting your team in.

If we pay nylander 8m we owe mathews 16m... no thank you.

That's one scenario. The other is you overpay Nylander and you overpay Rantanen (I'm willing to give him $8M / year that is an overpayment in my opinion - if I didnt give Nylander $8M I'd be trying to sign Rantanen for $7-$7.5M). Cross that kerfoot bridge when we get there but I dont feel like he is even close to the level of the other two guys.
Oct. 20, 2018 at 2:03 p.m.
Habs
Edited Oct. 20, 2018 at 2:09 p.m.
How is 6.5m a discount? Fair market value is not a discount...

I agree it is market value, but it's a discount in a sense that Toronto will be giving Marner and Matthews a lot more than $6.5M. Even though Marner and Nylander are quite comparable.

Edit:
This is the most solid point you've made, $6.5M is market value and Nylander should be happy with it. But will he be happy when Marner signs for $8M+?

Edit 2.0:
And my point of this is, yes $6.5M is market value for Nylander, but if you have $12M in cap space like Colorado and Nylander isn't for sale at market price, why not just overpay? Teams trade salaries all the time, buyouts, salary retention, etc. Every team has the same cap space, Colorado has $12M. They should use it to their advantage. They don't need to worry about signing Matthews and Marner, the only elite guy they have to sign is Rantanen.
Oct. 20, 2018 at 2:24 p.m.
Quoting: TiBo23

Players would have to want to sign an offer sheet if they get to that point, which won't happen as Sakic has already said that Rants will be in Colorado a very long time and that Avs and Rants camp want to wait till this summer to sign a long term extention

Nylander is holding out bc you wont bay him, Rants will get paid and so the "will offer him one out of spite" thing is just silly
Oct. 20, 2018 at 2:26 p.m.

Kerfoot will be a 4.5x4 type deal if he puts up another 40 point season. Look at the Tuch deal, Byron, Elia Lindholm deal. Similar production
Oct. 20, 2018 at 2:27 p.m.
The only negative to this that I see is alot of NHL GMs would be pissed off at sakic. I wish more teams would use offer sheets.
Oct. 20, 2018 at 2:33 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
I agree it is market value, but it's a discount in a sense that Toronto will be giving Marner and Matthews a lot more than $6.5M. Even though Marner and Nylander are quite comparable.

Edit:
This is the most solid point you've made, $6.5M is market value and Nylander should be happy with it. But will he be happy when Marner signs for $8M+?

Edit 2.0:
And my point of this is, yes $6.5M is market value for Nylander, but if you have $12M in cap space like Colorado and Nylander isn't for sale at market price, why not just overpay? Teams trade salaries all the time, buyouts, salary retention, etc. Every team has the same cap space, Colorado has $12M. They should use it to their advantage. They don't need to worry about signing Matthews and Marner, the only elite guy they have to sign is Rantanen.

Marner will get a fair market value contract, if it’s 8m than he is 1.5m better than nylander, simple as that. Dubas isn’t conspiring to fleece nylander to give marner an inflated salary. If anyone on the leafs other than Reilly and Kadri is willing to take a friendly discount it is marner. He already gave up one on his elc because he wanted to help the team. Yeah I know he gave up like 50k but it does show his attitude. With Matthews it’s pretty much a blank cheque. He will get a fair contract but he is one of the best players in the league and will pretty much name his price within reason.

Your arguments that everyone will understand why we are overpaying nylander and take less is as unfounded as leafs fans assuming everyone will take a discount to stay in Toronto. I actually read a good article with some GM’s anonymous quotes i’ll Find them and put them up here when I can. There is a reason you don’t see offersheets and it’s not just because it pisses people off. It is not in any gm or owners best intrest to inflate contract prices either.
Oct. 20, 2018 at 2:43 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: coga16
Kerfoot will be a 4.5x4 type deal if he puts up another 40 point season. Look at the Tuch deal, Byron, Elia Lindholm deal. Similar production

So 60 points is an 8yr bridge and 40 is 4.5m...after already taking a bridge this is his big deal? Hmm math doesnt seem to work out. What if he puts up 60 points this season?

Gm’s Think of the big picture, these are people you are dealing with and these people have agents who are there to squeeze the most out of you that they can...

I think the league would be a pretty horrible place with offersheets flying around all over the place. Star players would be holding out on contract talks and waiting for their rfa offer sheets.

I said it before and I will say it again in this thread offer sheets would be a great way of picking up good mid tier players that are left behind when teams sign their big contracts. Toronto has many rfa’s to sign next season and some of them will feel the squeeze. This is a great opportunity for a team to come in with a fair market value offersheet on 5 year term. Give up a second or third round pick for a 40 point player and pay a fair market value contract.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll