Forums/Armchair-GM

In late Nov if nylander still thinks hes worth 8 million

Created by: PuckPal
Team: 2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 20, 2018
Published: Oct. 21, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
So if nylander refuses to negotiate then it's time to move on. It will be a sad day in leafland but if he and his entourage can't realize that he is't worth 8 million either he is indirectly asking for a trade or he is more like his father than we thought. MIN make a great trade partner for multiple reasons. 1st they are very deep on D. 2nd they have a solid vet forward that can be a sound depth player that has experience at centre/wing that has experience playing under babcock (in tournaments). 3rd are in need of a reboot and more willing to trade seeing the new GM is not tied to the core of this roster. Trading nylander and depth players for Niederreiter, Spurgeon and Staal helps both be even more complete this season but helps long term as well. Also allows the leafs to pull a Belichick. Meaning when a player tries to Mess with your gameplan you trade him to a team either on the cusp of a rebuild that will cost him other revenue streams (ie small market) or is a complete hot mess and will be stuck in purgatory for years. In this situation it's option A though a very strong hockey market MIN is a small market that is even with nylander probably on the cusp of a complete overhaul.
Trades
TOR
  1. Niederreiter, Nino
  2. Spurgeon, Jared ($2,500,000 retained)
  3. Staal, Eric ($1,700,000 retained)
MIN
  1. Holl, Justin
  2. Johnsson, Andreas
  3. Marincin, Martin
Additional Details:
Nylander Rights
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$79,500,000$74,758,333$2,550,000$5,400,000$4,741,667

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$863,333$863,333
RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
C
UFA - 1
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 7
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
UFA - 1
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$1,800,000$1,800,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, C
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 4
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 6
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$2,687,500$2,687,500
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$675,000$675,000
G
UFA - 1
$4,050,000$4,050,000
LD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 2
$650,000$650,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 21, 2018 at 1:22 p.m.
Lol. You better add some. Johnsson. Holl, Marincin combined are worth a 3rd and 5th roughly.
Oct. 21, 2018 at 1:23 p.m.
That's a preposterous trade

Also, why is it the players fault and not the teams?
Oct. 21, 2018 at 1:26 p.m.
Quoting: Gofnut999
Lol. You better add some. Johnsson. Holl, Marincin combined are worth a 3rd and 5th roughly.

And how much is nylander worth?
Eli liked this.
Oct. 21, 2018 at 1:28 p.m.
Quoting: PuckPal
And how much is nylander worth?

Not the 3 Wild players. 2 of them...maybe. But the 3rd is worth more than the leftovers.
Eli liked this.
Oct. 21, 2018 at 1:29 p.m.
Quoting: littlejerryseinfeld
That's a preposterous trade

Also, why is it the players fault and not the teams?

Really? Its the leafs fault nylander is asking for what every analyst and executive willing to comment are saying is 1.5 - 2 million over what he be worth on to everyother team.
Oct. 21, 2018 at 1:31 p.m.
Think this is a little too much from Minny for the return. I love the basis (Nino + Spurgeon with retention for Nylander + a little extra) but we aren't trading our 1C in that package unless we're getting a 1st or a great prospect coming back. Nylander could be our 1C someday if we traded for him, but I think he'll need some sheltered minutes on the 2nd line to develop at that position which is why keeping Staal until at least the deadline would be important for us in this scenario. I don't think Staal is a fit in Toronto either, the "Staal on the wing expirement" was a complete failure on the NYR, and with Toronto's center depth I don't think they need him.

Completely agree with your description. Toronto and Minny are fantastic trade partners for the reasons you laid out.
Eli liked this.
Oct. 21, 2018 at 1:37 p.m.
Quoting: arousedcat
Think this is a little too much from Minny for the return. I love the basis (Nino + Spurgeon with retention for Nylander + a little extra) but we aren't trading our 1C in that package unless we're getting a 1st or a great prospect coming back. Nylander could be our 1C someday if we traded for him, but I think he'll need some sheltered minutes on the 2nd line to develop at that position which is why keeping Staal until at least the deadline would be important for us in this scenario. I don't think Staal is a fit in Toronto either, the "Staal on the wing expirement" was a complete failure on the NYR, and with Toronto's center depth I don't think they need him.

Completely agree with your description. Toronto and Minny are fantastic trade partners for the reasons you laid out.

Well i don't mind adding a 1st this year to close this deal. But staal failed on wing in NYR cause the players were not a complement. Staal is a playmaker and needs players wanting to allow the play to be run by him like marner did last year with Marleau, and Kadri last year so i do think that line could be a great complement also if we get an injury to our top 3 centres he can plug and play.
TanSor liked this.
Oct. 21, 2018 at 1:45 p.m.
Well i don't mind adding a 1st this year to close this deal. But staal failed on wing in NYR cause the players were not a complement. Staal is a playmaker and needs players wanting to allow the play to be run by him like marner did last year with Marleau, and Kadri last year so i do think that line could be a great complement also if we get an injury to our top 3 centres he can plug and play.

I think if you took out Holl and added a 1st it's much closer. I'd definitely consider that if I were Fenton. Johnson is kind of a risky pickup since he was phenomenal in the AHL last year but hasn't been super productive this year.
Eli liked this.
Oct. 21, 2018 at 1:54 p.m.
Quoting: arousedcat
I think if you took out Holl and added a 1st it's much closer. I'd definitely consider that if I were Fenton. Johnson is kind of a risky pickup since he was phenomenal in the AHL last year but hasn't been super productive this year.

My thinking was Johnsson is just in need of a chance at proper icetime just like Kapanen just needed a chance with Matthews to prove his worth. Also, Nylander is the piece and johnsson, and Holl working out just makes this trade a clear win for MIN.
TanSor liked this.
Oct. 21, 2018 at 1:55 p.m.
BeastMode5515
If this happens Dubas looks like a total doofus. “We can and we will.”
Oct. 21, 2018 at 2:34 p.m.
Chicago
Quoting: BeastMode5515

How does Dubas look like a doofus if this happens? This return is ridiculously favoring Toronto. 3 NHLers from Minnesota for 2 NHLers from Toronto, 1 of which hasn't participated in an NHL practice since playoffs last season. Nylander is not worth that much right now.
Eli and TanSor liked this.
Oct. 21, 2018 at 2:41 p.m.
you should listen to this weeks 31 thoughts podcast. they talked about nylander and how it all relates to dubas going to europe and how matthews contract is tied to nylanders
Oct. 21, 2018 at 3:38 p.m.
Who adds what?
Staal, this year, is as good as Nylander at maybe a third, maybe a fourth of the price. Niederreiter is almost as good. Spurgeon is about as good, and plays a more valuable position. I get wanting a "rental price" on Staal since his next contract is not going to fit in Toronto's salary structure next year, but Minnesota aren't impressed by that reasoning.

Staal for Nylander is even on the ice this year, but Minnesota has to add a lot because of age and contract status. If Minnesota throws in 28 year old #1RHD Jared Spurgeon into that trade, I think Toronto needs to add a mid-round pick, because those don't grow on trees. Adding a 26 year old top six forward is just ridiculous. None of those prospects moving from Toronto are blue chips.
Oct. 21, 2018 at 3:56 p.m.
Quoting: BeastMode5515

The thing is nylander unknowingly or not is forcing them to consider trading him. From what I've been reading he still even after talking to dubas is still of the belief he is worth 8 million and i read somewhere isn't even wanting to talk bridge. Dubas is in similar situation as Belichick has been in for the Patriots so cutting your losses strengthening the overall skill level of the team is a win for the leafs. Nylander wants to be paid to be in Tavares position seeing he's using a player that was signed to a contract knowing he was going to be moved to centre (Draisaitl) but obviously the leafs don't see him as the best option to play centre or they wouldn't have signed Tavares. So if he wants to be a centre and he isn't viewed as a primary option by the leafs it's time to move on. And if Dubas pulls off a trade like this very few fans or analysts will fault him or think he is being a doofus.
Oct. 21, 2018 at 4:26 p.m.
Quoting: Price_is_the_goat
you should listen to this weeks 31 thoughts podcast. they talked about nylander and how it all relates to dubas going to europe and how matthews contract is tied to nylanders

I did listen to that pod cast and i agree that they tried to convince him that they want him in TOR long term and have no intention to trade him but he also like they said need to realize the situation the leafs are in and if he is concerned that Matthews will be offered 20% of cap and will force the leafs to match he is asking them to project the future of a player who has stated how bad he wants to stay in TOR and that money will not be the deciding factor in this next contract. Nylander by even not realizing the situation he personally is trying to cause is forcing the leafs to maybe having to trade a core player or 2 to afford him is causing the issue he wants assurances they wont do. He either is lying to the leafs for why he won't sign or just delusional.
Oct. 21, 2018 at 4:39 p.m.

And maybe dubas and Shanahan should sit down with matthews agent and explain to him that nylander won't sign til he knows what he wants and if he has all intentions to sign a 5 year deal at lets say 10 million maybe you should do it so we can get his linemate signed. I'm not saying thats what Mathews wants but it's very clear neither Marner nor Nylander are really willing to negotiate til he does sign and the longer this goes it becomes more clear that that is the case.
Oct. 21, 2018 at 4:57 p.m.
And maybe dubas and Shanahan should sit down with matthews agent and explain to him that nylander won't sign til he knows what he wants and if he has all intentions to sign a 5 year deal at lets say 10 million maybe you should do it so we can get his linemate signed. I'm not saying thats what Mathews wants but it's very clear neither Marner nor Nylander are really willing to negotiate til he does sign and the longer this goes it becomes more clear that that is the case.

imo, if they sign matthews to a shorter deal, then the aav is higher. also, he's a FA after, and he'll be like 25-26, entering in his prime. he's gonna make a loottttt of money. theres that complexity too
Oct. 21, 2018 at 5:04 p.m.
imo, if they sign matthews to a shorter deal, then the aav is higher. also, he's a FA after, and he'll be like 25-26, entering in his prime. he's gonna make a loottttt of money. theres that complexity too

The money wasn't the point but maybe getting matthews to sign will help him get his linemate back on the roster or if he does sign the ridiculous contract everyone is thinking he wants even though he and his agency have stated that his next contract will not be about salary but winning cups in TOR (both bobby orr and matthews have stated this) then either he will sign a leaf friendly contract and nylander fits long term or he doesn't and they trade nylander to deepen this roster then only have to deal with Marner next year which will be alot easier seeing he too will not even truly start negotiating with the leafs til his agent knows Matthews number.
Oct. 21, 2018 at 6:21 p.m.
The money wasn't the point but maybe getting matthews to sign will help him get his linemate back on the roster or if he does sign the ridiculous contract everyone is thinking he wants even though he and his agency have stated that his next contract will not be about salary but winning cups in TOR (both bobby orr and matthews have stated this) then either he will sign a leaf friendly contract and nylander fits long term or he doesn't and they trade nylander to deepen this roster then only have to deal with Marner next year which will be alot easier seeing he too will not even truly start negotiating with the leafs til his agent knows Matthews number.

if u listened to the podcast i metioned earlier, they discussed the nuclear option. lets say a team comes in and offer sheets matthews. yes we all know its very rare for offer sheets to happen, and if it would have happened, it would have been on none other then mcdavid, but that doesnt mean teams dont talk about this, but lets say a team comes in and offers matthews a max money and term deal, and leafs match, sign him for like 15-16 mill or whatever the max cap percentage is then, what happens then? ur fuxked basically.
Oct. 21, 2018 at 7:02 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming

It is RFA years. Shorter means less AAV. Longer term only means smaller AAV in ufa
Oct. 21, 2018 at 7:23 p.m.
Quoting: Random2152
It is RFA years. Shorter means less AAV. Longer term only means smaller AAV in ufa

a shorter term would mean a higher aav. why would u take less money and less term?
Oct. 21, 2018 at 8:09 p.m.
if u listened to the podcast i metioned earlier, they discussed the nuclear option. lets say a team comes in and offer sheets matthews. yes we all know its very rare for offer sheets to happen, and if it would have happened, it would have been on none other then mcdavid, but that doesnt mean teams dont talk about this, but lets say a team comes in and offers matthews a max money and term deal, and leafs match, sign him for like 15-16 mill or whatever the max cap percentage is then, what happens then? ur fuxked basically.

They also mentioned that they doubt matthews will get to July 1st so a team can actually even offersheet. Also, if nylander thinks Dubas is able to truly know exactly what matthews will go for nylander is asking for the impossible no GM knows for certain what the salary hit will be til they sit down a try and hammer out a deal. Also, Matthews knows his contract will impact how deep the team will be and how a cup contender needs depth which is why knowing it would cut into his salary he wanted Tavares in TOR. But if that is what he wants maybe tell the leafs now so that they can start finding trade partners for nylander and marner cause after wanting Tavares on this roster he would purposly put this team back to square one which though might not be his plan is exactly the result. I honestly still think Matthews will be signed to a more favourable deal than people think and though he knows he can get more after july 1st will take between 10-11 on a 5-6 year contract. Which might sound like I'm delusional when Crosby signed his contract extention he was actually a 12.4% hit (though the cap was 60 the teams were allowed to sign up to 70 million so his cap % when his contract kicked in was around 12.4). This allows the leafs to keep the three together which from what I'm gathering matthews wants.
Price_is_the_goat liked this.
Oct. 21, 2018 at 8:27 p.m.
They also mentioned that they doubt matthews will get to July 1st so a team can actually even offersheet. Also, if nylander thinks Dubas is able to truly know exactly what matthews will go for nylander is asking for the impossible no GM knows for certain what the salary hit will be til they sit down a try and hammer out a deal. Also, Matthews knows his contract will impact how deep the team will be and how a cup contender needs depth which is why knowing it would cut into his salary he wanted Tavares in TOR. But if that is what he wants maybe tell the leafs now so that they can start finding trade partners for nylander and marner cause after wanting Tavares on this roster he would purposly put this team back to square one which though might not be his plan is exactly the result. I honestly still think Matthews will be signed to a more favourable deal than people think and though he knows he can get more after july 1st will take between 10-11 on a 5-6 year contract. Which might sound like I'm delusional when Crosby signed his contract extention he was actually a 12.4% hit (though the cap was 60 the teams were allowed to sign up to 70 million so his cap % when his contract kicked in was around 12.4). This allows the leafs to keep the three together which from what I'm gathering matthews wants.

again, some of this was discussed in the podcast and last weeks podcast.
Oct. 21, 2018 at 9:52 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
a shorter term would mean a higher aav. why would u take less money and less term?

Have you ever heard of a bridge contract? it is a bet on yourself.

Edit: For example, Johnsson on the Leafs, accepted his QA instead of signing a likely higher contract with some term (2 or 3 years) because he thought he would play well enough that he would earn more by signing the following year.
Oct. 21, 2018 at 9:55 p.m.
Quoting: Random2152
Have you ever heard of a bridge contract? it is a bet on yourself.

Your right most players in nylanders situation would i heard a rumour he isn't interested in a bridge. I hope it's not true but it would explain why he isn't signed yet.
Price_is_the_goat liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll