Forums/Armchair-GM

cheap scoring

Created by: Eli
Team: 2018-19 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 21, 2018
Published: Oct. 21, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The Oilers need a goal scoring winger, but have no cap space. Here's a trade with another team that has no cap space, and has an elite scoring winger it really isn't using. Roughly equal players. Different stage of development.
Trades
EDM
  1. Burakovsky, André ($1,000,000 retained)
Additional Details:
6th in his draft class in even strength goals with 44. 10th in points.
WSH
  1. Puljujärvi, Jesse
Additional Details:
7th in his draft class in even strength goals with 14, 11th in points.
Buyouts
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the STL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$79,500,000$74,840,331$0$230,000$4,659,669
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW, C
UFA - 3
$12,500,000$12,500,000
C
UFA - 8
$800,000$800,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Washington Capitals
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 7
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 5
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$230,000$230K)
RW
RFA - 3
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$3,100,000$3,100,000
RW, C
UFA - 2
$650,000$650,000
RW
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$1,150,000$1,150,000
C
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,200,000$3,200,000
LD
UFA - 2
$4,166,666$4,166,666
RD
UFA - 3
$4,166,666$4,166,666
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,167,000$4,167,000
LD
UFA - 5
$1,900,000$1,900,000
RD
UFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LD/RD
NMC
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000
RD
RFA - 5
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD/RD
NMC
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 21, 2018 at 7:28 p.m.
Who adds what?
I think the Caps should do this because they're barely using Burakovsky in a bottom six role this year, and they'd be just as well served with a developing player in his minutes. I tried to ballpark the amount of retention that would let the Oilers keep 23 people after Russell comes back. Yes, I had to waive Kassian to get down to 23. I was off by about 91k. I didn't want to re-enter the trade, but if the actual teams want to mess with this, I think the Caps would have to retain 1.091M on Burakovsky for him to fit with the Oilers in the unprecedented event that Edmonton's whole blue-line is healthy at any point this season.

You might then ask, why not have the Oilers throw in a draft pick and get the Caps to retain 1.5M, the max allowable? I'll leave that to the pros. Since this is the last year of his contract, and the Caps are unlikely to trade away two other players this year, they should be open to it.
Oct. 21, 2018 at 7:38 p.m.
Its a no from me
Oct. 21, 2018 at 7:59 p.m.
Who adds what?
Quoting: Max
Its a no from me

Thanks. Any counteroffer? I know it's been two years since Burakovsky played with Kuznetsov and put up 17 even strength goals. I think the Caps would probably trade him for a 1st and a 2nd, and 3M of dead cap space. Here's a list of current Oilers wingers who have put up 17 even strength goals in a season:
Oct. 21, 2018 at 8:00 p.m.
Who adds what?
Oh wait. Does Lucic still count?
Oct. 21, 2018 at 8:00 p.m.
Using draft class ranks as a comparison doesn't really work. Each draft class is different, some being better and others being worse.

Caps decline. Pulijujarvi has been one of the more disappointing high draft picks of recent years. Would rather have Burakovsky on my team.
Eli liked this.
Oct. 21, 2018 at 8:40 p.m.
LobbysOilers
Quoting: TheJonSnow
Using draft class ranks as a comparison doesn't really work. Each draft class is different, some being better and others being worse.

Caps decline. Pulijujarvi has been one of the more disappointing high draft picks of recent years. Would rather have Burakovsky on my team.

he's 20
Oct. 21, 2018 at 8:48 p.m.
Who adds what?

Well said, and I mostly agree, but Burakovsky's already in new head coach Reirden's doghouse, and the Caps already have a bunch of Swedes and no German speakers, so it's about finding the right guys to work together.

In looking up those dubious numbers I noticed Burakovsky is outscoring Drouin, Domi, and Mantha, at evens. I wasn't familiar with the guys Puljujarvi is ahead of, but at least he's showing a little potential.

With Shumakov in the system, though, the Caps could trade Burakovsky for picks and still contend. They'd be some high picks, though.

Edmonton's the ideal fit because Burakovsky's from Austria, where they speak Draisaitl and Rieder's language. He played in Sweden for a while, but doesn't seem to have clicked with Backstrom. Bringing back a native Swede could work for team chemistry reasons, even though Pool Party's stock is plummeting.

Edmonton has tried ignoring nationality, drafting a Russian kid first overall and not signing anyone else who spoke his language for the six years that they wasted his time on their third line, got no production out of him, and wrecked his career. Signing Rieder to complement Draisaitl's native German speaking ability shows they might have turned a corner on that approach. Adding Burakovsky means they can all three speak their native language on the ice, for the first time in their careers. Clear communication should mean a career year for each of them. I'd look for 50, 50, and 80 points, because sports are easier when you can talk to your teammates.

Quoting: LobbysOilers
he's 20

And Swedish, with 14 goals and 29 points in his career. Yes. Burakovsky's 23 and Austrian, with 50 and 120, plus a championship he played a huge role in. Which one is going to bring out the best in Drai?
Oct. 21, 2018 at 9:25 p.m.
Quoting: LobbysOilers
he's 20

Yes. I know he is still growing and will improve. But for a 4th overall pick he has been rather disappointing. Look at past drafts top 5 picks, all the players(for the most part) were able to make immediate, direct impacts to their teams success.

Let's compare their seasons when each player was 19 for the sake of this posts trade.

Burakovsky 22 points in 53 games +12, 7 in 13 in the AHL
Pulijujarvi 20 points in 65 games -1, 5 in 10 in the AHL.
Eli liked this.
Oct. 21, 2018 at 9:45 p.m.
Who adds what?
Yes. I know he is still growing and will improve. But for a 4th overall pick he has been rather disappointing. Look at past drafts top 5 picks, all the players(for the most part) were able to make immediate, direct impacts to their teams success.

Let's compare their seasons when each player was 19 for the sake of this posts trade.

Burakovsky 22 points in 53 games +12, 7 in 13 in the AHL
Pulijujarvi 20 points in 65 games -1, 5 in 10 in the AHL.

Well done. You didn't like my statistics for showing that they're the same guy at different ages, with a slight advantage for Burakovsky, so you dug up your own stat that showed that...... drumroll... they're the same guy at different ages, with a slight advantage for Burakovsky. Nice. I still think the bigger difference is that Burakovsky spaks German better, and should be playing with Draisaitl, while Puljujarvi speaks Swedish better, and should play with Backstrom.
Earth liked this.
Oct. 21, 2018 at 10:03 p.m.
Quoting: Eli
Well done. You didn't like my statistics for showing that they're the same guy at different ages, with a slight advantage for Burakovsky, so you dug up your own stat that showed that...... drumroll... they're the same guy at different ages, with a slight advantage for Burakovsky. Nice. I still think the bigger difference is that Burakovsky spaks German better, and should be playing with Draisaitl, while Puljujarvi speaks Swedish better, and should play with Backstrom.

I just don't like rankings in draft classes. Like Matthews and Laine, one and two from 2016. Hischier and Nolan, one and two from 2017. Obviously one is a lot better than the other. Puljujarvi could be higher or lower than 11th in points if he was drafted in a different year, its all relative to how good your draft class was. NHL stats are relative to every NHL player, no matter what year you were drafted.

I get your language thing from a players point of view, it's actually extremely important. But that's not a problem for Burakovsky, watch a recent interview with him, his English is fine. And from a GMs point of view I think MacLellan holds on to the more developed player when they are contenders.
Eli liked this.
Oct. 21, 2018 at 10:20 p.m.
Who adds what?
I just don't like rankings in draft classes. Like Matthews and Laine, one and two from 2016. Hischier and Nolan, one and two from 2017. Obviously one is a lot better than the other. Puljujarvi could be higher or lower than 11th in points if he was drafted in a different year, its all relative to how good your draft class was. NHL stats are relative to every NHL player, no matter what year you were drafted.

I get your language thing from a players point of view, it's actually extremely important. But that's not a problem for Burakovsky, watch a recent interview with him, his English is fine. And from a GMs point of view I think MacLellan holds on to the more developed player when they are contenders.

Only if the coach wants to play him. Last game he moved from third line to fourth. Wilson's suspended and he isn't getting a shift on the top line. I don't think they'd give him away cheaply, but even an underperforming 20 year old 4th overall pick is not cheap. I probably should have titled this, "immediate goal scoring help," but I was thinking in response to all the posts suggesting the Oil throw the kitchen sink at W. Nylander, who tops out at 21 goals a year, playing with Matthews, and would probably get 20 playing with Draisaitl. Burakovsky's contract could be a lot cheaper, and he'd be less costly to acquire, but he'd get 25 a year with Drai and Rieder, because they can talk to each other better.

I saw a post where Edmonton fans were excited about trading Puljujarvi, a first, and Klefbom to get W. Nylander, who simply wouldn't play as well with Draisaitl as Burakovsky would because he doesn't speak German, but who also has scored half as many NHL points as Burakovsky, and is only 10th in his draft class in even strength goals, well behind Burakovsky or Puljujarvi, for whatever that's worth.
Oct. 21, 2018 at 11:27 p.m.
ForeignObjects316
if you're looking for German why not get German ? Burakovsky is Austrian
CHI has an Undrafted Teammate of Drisatl's Dominik Kahun who's got 5 points in 7 games in his first NHL year
offer CHI RNH and they might even make the Kahun trade with a pick or two

he not only speaks German but would be a perfect fit for EDM for their 2nd RW with Drisatl
Oct. 21, 2018 at 11:32 p.m.
Who adds what?
Quoting: Billy316
if you're looking for German why not get German ? Burakovsky is Austrian
CHI has an Undrafted Teammate of Drisatl's Dominik Kahun who's got 5 points in 7 games in his first NHL year
offer CHI RNH and they might even make the Kahun trade with a pick or two

he not only speaks German but would be a perfect fit for EDM for their 2nd RW with Drisatl

Chuckle.

I think that price is about in line with the W. Nylander deals I keep reading all over this board this week.
Billy316 liked this.
Oct. 21, 2018 at 11:51 p.m.
ForeignObjects316
Quoting: Eli
Chuckle.

I think that price is about in line with the W. Nylander deals I keep reading all over this board this week.

i mostly ignore the Nylander deals , people get to butt hurt when you tell them he's not worth what a Mcdavid or Crosby is .

i cant wait until he signs/leaves so Arm Chair GM wont be Nylander Central :P
Eli liked this.
Oct. 22, 2018 at 2:20 a.m.
This seems like a good deal for both teams... Burak is 23 and is pretty much what he is - a thirty-point guy who skates well and can provide some offensive punch. Pulijarvi, by contrast, is something of an unknown, with a higher ceiling but a lower floor.
Eli liked this.
Oct. 22, 2018 at 10:14 a.m.
Who adds what?
Quoting: Oilfan1717
This seems like a good deal for both teams... Burak is 23 and is pretty much what he is - a thirty-point guy who skates well and can provide some offensive punch. Pulijarvi, by contrast, is something of an unknown, with a higher ceiling but a lower floor.

Thanks so much! It's so rare that anyone agrees on this board. I think most hockey fans tend to assume a fan of another team couldn't possibly understand our team's point of view.

Maybe I'm more optimistic about Burakovsky... I see both players likely developing into perennial 20 g 20a 40p middle six wingers, and I think either of them, around age 25 to 27, if they play with a great center, could reach 50 points. Burakovsky is closer to that, but hasn't found offensive consistency in what's lately been a bottom six role. I think the Caps would make this deal in order to save about 2M next year, because they are deep enough that they can still contend, especially if they move Shumakov up from the minors to take a top nine spot (he was top twenty in KHL points last year, and might be a good linemate for their Russians), and rotate Puljujarvi in and out of their bottom six this year, work on his checking, and try to get him ready for a top six audition next fall. I think it helps the Oilers make the playoffs this year, and might help them win a round.

I can also see it being unpopular in Edmonton because Puljujarvi was a top five pick two years ago, but I could see some hardcore hockey fans liking it if they watched the Eastern Conference Finals, and the Stanley Cup Finals, and thought six points in the last six games showed an ability to play well under pressure.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll