Forums/Armchair-GM

What I think is the value for Nylander for Montreal

Created by: SammyT_51
Team: 2018-19 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 24, 2018
Published: Oct. 24, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This would not happen but here is the value.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
7$7,500,000
Trades
MTL
  1. 2019 3rd round pick (FLA)
MTL
    Nylander 7.5x7
    TOR
    1. Domi, Max
    2. Juulsen, Noah
    3. 2019 2nd round pick (MTL)
    Buyouts
    Retained Salary Transactions
    Buried
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the FLA
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$79,500,000$74,061,309$0$3,932,500$5,438,691

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
    $4,800,000$4,800,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 3
    $7,500,000$7,500,000
    RW
    UFA - 6
    $1,166,667$1,166,667
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 5
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
    C
    UFA - 3
    $3,750,000$3,750,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 3
    $839,166$839,166
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $3,083,333$3,083,333
    C
    UFA - 3
    $1,850,000$1,850,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $650,000$650,000
    C, LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $1,300,000$1,300,000
    LW, C
    UFA - 2
    $3,900,000$3,900,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 4
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $748,333$748,333 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
    LD/RD
    UFA - 2
    $7,857,143$7,857,143
    RD
    UFA - 8
    $10,500,000$10,500,000
    G
    NMC
    UFA - 8
    $725,000$725,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    RD
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 3
    $950,000$950,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $2,100,000$2,100,000
    LD
    UFA - 2
    $700,000$700,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $950,000$950,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $2,250,000$2,250,000 (Performance Bonus$1,250,000$1M)
    C
    UFA - 1
    $1,100,000$1,100,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Oct. 24, 2018 at 12:21 p.m.
    Mac Jameson is a god
    I actually think this is pretty fair.
    SammyT_51 liked this.
    Oct. 24, 2018 at 12:22 p.m.
    Thats probably fair.. I don't like it but its fair lol
    SammyT_51 liked this.
    Oct. 24, 2018 at 12:32 p.m.
    Formerly Jamiepo
    Yup, that sounds perfect.
    SammyT_51 liked this.
    Oct. 24, 2018 at 12:43 p.m.
    Mac Jameson is a god
    Guess there are reasonable Habs fans out there...
    Lenny7 liked this.
    Oct. 24, 2018 at 1:11 p.m.
    i dont like that trade one bit, buts its fair.
    Oct. 24, 2018 at 1:15 p.m.
    Do you guys think Nylander would score 60+ playing for the Habs? At center no doubt?

Yeah sure the value is probably correct but this, as of right now, doesn't make sense for Montreal. We'd be paying 7.5M for a guy who probably won't produce as much as he did in Toronto as he was with Matthews, and who isn't playing center for Toronto, and all that for a guy who is half the cost, actually playing center for the Habs and well, one of our only good D prospects right now in Juulsen, and a 2nd rounder.....

If Nylander comes in and scores 60+ while playing center for the Habs at a 1st line minute rate, Then I'd be way more inclined but otherwise, I don't think its prudent. We are getting what we'd probably get from Nylander with Domi already and losing Juulsen and a 2nd only cripples us in other areas.

And just food for thought, Domi over the same age and games in his career as Nylander has scored at a ~0.65 PPG pace while Nylander has a ~0.75. PPG. Except one guy was playing next to Auston Matthews and the other was playing in Arizona......

Domi as of right now is a point per game playing center on a team that isn't supposed to be good this year and won't cost us 7.5M in his next contract.

There is really no point to the Habs to making this trade. Even if the value of the trade is probably fair, it doesn't mean the Habs should do it.
    Oct. 24, 2018 at 1:25 p.m.
    GM Hockeysaurus Rex
    Quoting: F50marco
    Do you guys think Nylander would score 60+ playing for the Habs? At center no doubt?

Yeah sure the value is probably correct but this, as of right now, doesn't make sense for Montreal. We'd be paying 7.5M for a guy who probably won't produce as much as he did in Toronto as he was with Matthews, and who isn't playing center for Toronto, and all that for a guy who is half the cost, actually playing center for the Habs and well, one of our only good D prospects right now in Juulsen, and a 2nd rounder.....

If Nylander comes in and scores 60+ while playing center for the Habs at a 1st line minute rate, Then I'd be way more inclined but otherwise, I don't think its prudent. We are getting what we'd probably get from Nylander with Domi already and losing Juulsen and a 2nd only cripples us in other areas.

And just food for thought, Domi over the same age and games in his career as Nylander has scored at a ~0.65 PPG pace while Nylander has a ~0.75. PPG. Except one guy was playing next to Auston Matthews and the other was playing in Arizona......

Domi as of right now is a point per game playing center on a team that isn't supposed to be good this year and won't cost us 7.5M in his next contract.

There is really no point to the Habs to making this trade. Even if the value of the trade is probably fair, it doesn't mean the Habs should do it.

Its just about value. Nylander is not going to be traded. And Habs should not trade either Domi or Juulsen..
    Lenny7 and Billy316 liked this.
    Oct. 24, 2018 at 1:25 p.m.
    Lenny7
    Most realistically valued trade that I've seen on here in a long time.

Doesn't really make sense for the Habs, but IMO it's a pretty even trade.

High five.
    SammyT_51 liked this.
    Oct. 24, 2018 at 1:28 p.m.
    What in tarnation
    Nice. It's rare to see such a solid trade.
    SammyT_51 liked this.
    Oct. 24, 2018 at 2:08 p.m.
    VeryLeafy
    I don’t think this trade is fair tbh. I get why people think it is but domi has been very underwhelming and juulsen is an Ok D man but no real high upside there.
    SammyT_51 liked this.
    Oct. 24, 2018 at 2:11 p.m.
    GM Hockeysaurus Rex
    Quoting: MattyMadden28
    I don’t think this trade is fair tbh. I get why people think it is but domi has been very underwhelming and juulsen is an Ok D man but no real high upside there.

Domi is point per game on 3rd line.. I would think that Domi-Kadri-Brown line would do super damage and Juulsen was great to this moment and is still young
    Oct. 24, 2018 at 2:59 p.m.
    Go Bruins Go
    love this
    SammyT_51 and Billy316 liked this.
    Oct. 24, 2018 at 3:40 p.m.
    Jesus Christ Is King
    i'd do it for any of our RD but Juulsen , that being said its value is fair for both teams .
    i might give up Brook or Petry instead . Juulsen's our best D after Weber and Petry and our most solid youth we'd crumble in our rebuild without him

5/5 though , even though i wouldnt do it
    it makes sense
    Oct. 24, 2018 at 4:55 p.m.

Quoting: SammyT_51
    Domi is point per game on 3rd line.. I would think that Domi-Kadri-Brown line would do super damage and Juulsen was great to this moment and is still young

Sammy, Just to clarify, Habs don't really have a top line per se. Any given night somebody different can be our "1st" line.

Matty, If Domi was able to produce what he had in Arizona on literally one of the worst teams in the league the past 3 years, extrapolate that if he were in Nylander's position to start his career. Whats the over under he'd have between 50-60 points each year also? Because through the same amount of games at same age, Domi is only a little less Nylander and playing with way less talented players then Nylander has.

Not trying to diminish Nylander here. He is a solid player. I just think Domi was given a rough ride in Arizona and people put that on him rather than the team he played for. All things equal, Domi could potentially be closer to a Nylander than people think. Not saying a 1 for 1 trade should be fair, just that the Habs adding Juulsen and a pick is not that difference.

Juulsen btw is not an offensive dynamo by any stretch but then again, neither is Brandon Carlo. You wouldn't want a player like that one your team? Becuase Juulsen is the same age and on the same path. Only difference is one guy was ahead of the curve and started younger than the other.
    Oct. 25, 2018 at 2:22 a.m.
    VeryLeafy
    Quoting: F50marco
    Sammy, Just to clarify, Habs don't really have a top line per se. Any given night somebody different can be our "1st" line.

Matty, If Domi was able to produce what he had in Arizona on literally one of the worst teams in the league the past 3 years, extrapolate that if he were in Nylander's position to start his career. Whats the over under he'd have between 50-60 points each year also? Because through the same amount of games at same age, Domi is only a little less Nylander and playing with way less talented players then Nylander has.

Not trying to diminish Nylander here. He is a solid player. I just think Domi was given a rough ride in Arizona and people put that on him rather than the team he played for. All things equal, Domi could potentially be closer to a Nylander than people think. Not saying a 1 for 1 trade should be fair, just that the Habs adding Juulsen and a pick is not that difference.

Juulsen btw is not an offensive dynamo by any stretch but then again, neither is Brandon Carlo. You wouldn't want a player like that one your team? Becuase Juulsen is the same age and on the same path. Only difference is one guy was ahead of the curve and started younger than the other.

I agree that domi has upside given his history and he has the skill to be a 60 point guy. Juulisen is a fine defensive piece and one that the leafs could use. But I am of the belief that Nylander is a 80+ point guy with a way underrated defensive game. He carries the puck as good as anyone in the league. The leafs can’t downgrade on talent. They have lots of D coming. Sandin will be a real solid player once he adjusts to the speed of the game. Liljegren is a great puck mover that will add a dynamic RD for the Leafs.

But as fair as “value” goes if Domi added a different element to the leafs and found great chemistry with one of the centres. And Juuly is a stud then ya it’s a fair enough “value trade”.
    Oct. 25, 2018 at 4:50 p.m.
    I agree that domi has upside given his history and he has the skill to be a 60 point guy. Juulisen is a fine defensive piece and one that the leafs could use. But I am of the belief that Nylander is a 80+ point guy with a way underrated defensive game. He carries the puck as good as anyone in the league. The leafs can’t downgrade on talent. They have lots of D coming. Sandin will be a real solid player once he adjusts to the speed of the game. Liljegren is a great puck mover that will add a dynamic RD for the Leafs.

But as fair as “value” goes if Domi added a different element to the leafs and found great chemistry with one of the centres. And Juuly is a stud then ya it’s a fair enough “value trade”.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if the roles were reversed (Nylander/Domi) in their career, would you have the same expectations of both of them? Would Domi have not been able to produce the same way Nylander has? IMHO i think he'd have been pretty darn close if not. Like i said the PPG is not that big of a difference considering the talent differences on bot teams.

So if you can concede that based off what we can speculate only, that if Nylander is an 80+ point guy that Domi must be pretty close to that. Maybe 70, then what is the benefit of that extra couple points when it comes at the cost of Juulsen who as is in Montreals top 4 and playing well and a 2nd rounder? not too mention that Nylander will cost someone 7.5+ probably. Domi is at 3M and will be what maybe a 5.5M mil guy in his next contract?

That's why i originally said, Nylander would have to come in and be a undisputed #1 center on the Habs for years to come, for this trade to not only make sense in their eyes but to be worth it. So that's why I say, this isn't to say Nylander isn't a really good player. He is. I just think the gap between Domi and Nylander is being exaggerated here and that the difference between them two isn't a young stud defender and a 2nd.

Although its literally impossible to prove, I'd wager Domi would have put up 60 point seasons playing alongside Matthews also and whatever category Nylander excelled in more, Domi would make up for it in other ways. (Probably intangibles like fighting, rough stuff )

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll