RW
UFA - 6
Logo of the New York Islanders
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW, LW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
C
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$863,333$863,333
RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Logo of the St. Louis Blues
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 4
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,050,000$4,050,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 6
$675,000$675,000
G
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, C
UFA - 1
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$787,500$787,500
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 24, 2018 at 2:53 p.m.
TiBo
How would the Leafs pay Matthews and Marner in the future? Leafs should have traded JVR for a 1st and a 3rd, Bozak for a 2nd and Komarov for a 4th last year. Hopefully the Leafs will learn from their mistakes and trade Gardiner to gain capital before he hits free agency.
tatatavares liked this.
Oct. 24, 2018 at 3:05 p.m.
Big John T
Quoting: TiBo23
How would the Leafs pay Matthews and Marner in the future? Leafs should have traded JVR for a 1st and a 3rd, Bozak for a 2nd and Komarov for a 4th last year. Hopefully the Leafs will learn from their mistakes and trade Gardiner to gain capital before he hits free agency.

This isn't an exhaustive what-if tree of possibilities. It's the simplest possible comparison at a glance, from which you could imagine trades.

I don't hope Gardiner is traded, but I do hope management has a clear plan to stay on top of all problems in the next couple seasons.
I can't tell if they've been patient trying to get the best deals, or just procrastinating until it's too late.
We'll know what Dubas is made of before next year's draft; this will be the hardest and most consequential year of his career as GM.
TiBo23 liked this.
Oct. 24, 2018 at 3:16 p.m.
TiBo
My point with the Leafs is I believe that they are still a year or two away from being a contender. A true Cup contender. Trading JVR, Bozak, Komarov and now Gardiner would help expedite the process. Dermott or Rosen will take up Gardiner's minutes quickly. Cheers!
tatatavares liked this.
Oct. 24, 2018 at 4:51 p.m.
Banned
My point with the Leafs is I believe that they are still a year or two away from being a contender. A true Cup contender. Trading JVR, Bozak, Komarov and now Gardiner would help expedite the process. Dermott or Rosen will take up Gardiner's minutes quickly. Cheers!

JVR, Bozak and Komarov where all let go in free agency. They were not traded. I am not sure I understand what you are trying to say here.
Oct. 24, 2018 at 5:01 p.m.
TiBo
Quoting: LoganOllivier
JVR, Bozak and Komarov where all let go in free agency. They were not traded. I am not sure I understand what you are trying to say here.

My point is the Leafs should have traded them as they should trade Gardiner now.
Oct. 24, 2018 at 5:06 p.m.
Banned
My point is the Leafs should have traded them as they should trade Gardiner now.

Ah, now I follow, and I don't disagree. I think though the only way you move Gardiner is if you have obtained a clear upgrade at 1RHD, then move Hainsey to 3LD and Dermott to 2LD. I think that would be okay but if we just lose Gardiner, that isn't the worst thing either. The Leafs have to be carefull with how many contracts they have.
Oct. 24, 2018 at 5:13 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer

Don't know how a 1st rounder in the mid 20s or even 30s "helps speed up the process". So you are suggesting that last February, the Leafs (and really all 28 teams) that didn't have a shot a the Cup to trade their upcoming UFAs. The market would have been flooded with upcoming UFAs.
So you telling the remaining players on the team and the fans, "This year is lost, we aren't winning, so don't bother trying. Doesn't really matter if we make the playoffs or not, the players don't need the playoff experience which may the help the in the future. Our philosophy will be to not make the playoffs, or certainly be knocked out easily in the first round and somehow in a future season when the executives think they would have a shot at the Cup, then we wouldn't trade all upcoming UFAs.
Great way to a run a team. No chance of signing of any UFA of consequence.
If Marleau wasn't signed the Leafs wouldn't have a 27 goal scorer last year.
I'm not a big fan of Gardiner but he certainly is in the Leafs top 5 Dman. Trade him for futures, the Leafs team in weaker this year . The real MLSE is trying to build a team, not playing CapFriendly trying to make trades.
GenXHockey liked this.
Oct. 24, 2018 at 5:18 p.m.
TiBo
Quoting: palhal
Don't know how a 1st rounder in the mid 20s or even 30s "helps speed up the process". So you are suggesting that last February, the Leafs (and really all 28 teams) that didn't have a shot a the Cup to trade their upcoming UFAs. The market would have been flooded with upcoming UFAs.
So you telling the remaining players on the team and the fans, "This year is lost, we aren't winning, so don't bother trying. Doesn't really matter if we make the playoffs or not, the players don't need the playoff experience which may the help the in the future. Our philosophy will be to not make the playoffs, or certainly be knocked out easily in the first round and somehow in a future season when the executives think they would have a shot at the Cup, then we wouldn't trade all upcoming UFAs.
Great way to a run a team. No chance of signing of any UFA of consequence.
If Marleau wasn't signed the Leafs wouldn't have a 27 goal scorer last year.
I'm not a big fan of Gardiner but he certainly is in the Leafs top 5 Dman. Trade him for futures, the Leafs team in weaker this year . The real MLSE is trying to build a team, not playing CapFriendly trying to make trades.

Gardiner is not part of the long term plans! Sorry... JVR, Bozak were not part of the long term plans. I could see keeping Komarov for the playoffs last year but he would have been the only one. Reilly has taken Gardiner's job on the #1 power play unit. Dermott can take his place now. If by trading Gradiner sinks the hopes of the fans. Well I don't know what to tell you..
Oct. 24, 2018 at 5:27 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Gardiner is not part of the long term plans! Sorry... JVR, Bozak were not part of the long term plans. I could see keeping Komarov for the playoffs last year but he would have been the only one. Reilly has taken Gardiner's job on the #1 power play unit. Dermott can take his place now. If by trading Gradiner sinks the hopes of the fans. Well I don't know what to tell you..

I know Gardiner isn't part of the long term plan but it part of the team now. Your logic suggest the the 28 teams that don't have a shot at the Cup trade those 85 upcoming UFAs. for futures to the 4 contenders.
But in my original narrative, but of long term building is allow your team to go as deep as it can in the playoffs. To suggest that a team "gives up" by TDL and trade upcoming UFAs isn't in the DNA or logic in teams that have chance at the playoffs, especially teams that can win a around or two. I don't why you even think "Dermot can take his place". Do you even watch the Leafs? Dermot is playing now. Trading Gardiner forces the Leafs to have a replacement for Gardiner.
GenXHockey liked this.
Oct. 24, 2018 at 5:34 p.m.
My take on this situation from while ago : https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/884345
Oct. 24, 2018 at 5:40 p.m.
TiBo
Quoting: palhal
I know Gardiner isn't part of the long term plan but it part of the team now. Your logic suggest the the 28 teams that don't have a shot at the Cup trade those 85 upcoming UFAs. for futures to the 4 contenders.
But in my original narrative, but of long term building is allow your team to go as deep as it can in the playoffs. To suggest that a team "gives up" by TDL and trade upcoming UFAs isn't in the DNA or logic in teams that have chance at the playoffs, especially teams that can win a around or two. I don't why you even think "Dermot can take his place". Do you even watch the Leafs? Dermot is playing now. Trading Gardiner forces the Leafs to have a replacement for Gardiner.

Yeah, Rosen and or Borgman could replace minutes on the third pairing. Hopefully by the trade deadline Hainsey is on the bottom pair. And yes, I do watch the Leafs. I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing.
Oct. 24, 2018 at 6:21 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo

And replaced them with who for the playoffs?
Oct. 24, 2018 at 6:36 p.m.
Edited Oct. 24, 2018 at 6:44 p.m.
Quoting: Jamiepo
And replaced them with who for the playoffs?

They defenitelly were great assets in playoff......

Said it before, will say it again.....TML werent Cup-contenders aka "buyers" last season, Tavares makes them looking a bit better this year but still not close.....D will fail again in first round Playoffs
tatatavares liked this.
Oct. 24, 2018 at 7:04 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: Laudan
They defenitelly were great assets in playoff......

Said it before, will say it again.....TML werent Cup-contenders aka "buyers" last season, Tavares makes them looking a bit better this year but still not close.....D will fail again in first round Playoffs

But who would you replace them with? We are going into the playoffs you need to have a roster and try and compete. You don’t say bah we’re not going to win and unload 3 major parts of your roaster at TDL. Vegas and capitals made the finals with suspect D. It’s ridiculous to think you tear down your roster for a few picks going into the playoffs.
palhal liked this.
Oct. 24, 2018 at 7:46 p.m.
Edited Oct. 24, 2018 at 7:59 p.m.
But who would you replace them with? We are going into the playoffs you need to have a roster and try and compete. You don’t say bah we’re not going to win and unload 3 major parts of your roaster at TDL. Vegas and capitals made the finals with suspect D. It’s ridiculous to think you tear down your roster for a few picks going into the playoffs.

I dont remember corectlly all the lineups but i think it was something like :

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Marner
Johnsson - Plekanec - Brown
JVR - Bozak - Komarov

Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Polak

So its like the whole 4th line that was left walking out, and you could get at least some leverage for them if you would tank the last season knowing Tavares is coming and you could pull Pacioretty trade on JVR

4th line would easily be prospects from last year with their 8:00 TOI

but maybe thats just me, being military educated and thinking strategically and few steps in front, not just from meal to meal....
tatatavares liked this.
Oct. 24, 2018 at 11:41 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
I dont remember corectlly all the lineups but i think it was something like :

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Marner
Johnsson - Plekanec - Brown
JVR - Bozak - Komarov

Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Polak

So its like the whole 4th line that was left walking out, and you could get at least some leverage for them if you would tank the last season knowing Tavares is coming and you could pull Pacioretty trade on JVR

4th line would easily be prospects from last year with their 8:00 TOI

but maybe thats just me, being military educated and thinking strategically and few steps in front, not just from meal to meal....

No, it was jvr-bozak-marner 2nd line. Komarov was on the 3rd line with Kadri and marleau. What planet are you from?

You are zero steps ahead tripping over your own feet.
Oct. 24, 2018 at 11:50 p.m.
Edited Oct. 25, 2018 at 12:12 a.m.
No, it was jvr-bozak-marner 2nd line. Komarov was on the 3rd line with Kadri and marleau. What planet are you from?

You are zero steps ahead tripping over your own feet.

All 89 games ?

Damn, you beat me now...im all wrong and you are right about the future of TML again, it was the best thing to do to let them just go..........*facepalm*

Take your horse-blinders off honey....dont just read the lines but use brains when you do that.....cause dialogues cant be won like you are trying to do it....
Oct. 25, 2018 at 12:13 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
All 89 games ?

Damn, you beat me now...im all wrong and you are right about the future of TML again, it was the best to let them go..........*facepalm*

Yes it was, let them go for nothing and pick up Tavares with the money we save.

Do you not think these things were considered and weighed by people who know more than you (like what lines they played on). You just tried to play them off as 4th liners and in the same breath talk about how much we could have got in return for them.

We didn’t do any major buying at the deadline, just picked up plekanec cheap for a 4C and went with what we had. I have never heard of a team in the playoffs (and I believe at the deadline we were in the lead or close to it in our division) selling off two thirds of their second line including their top goal scorer and a gritty guy like Komarov when they are trying to Push for the playoffs. Do you have any idea how ridiculous you sound?
Oct. 25, 2018 at 12:19 a.m.
Yes it was, let them go for nothing and pick up Tavares with the money we save.

Do you not think these things were considered and weighed by people who know more than you (like what lines they played on). You just tried to play them off as 4th liners and in the same breath talk about how much we could have got in return for them.

We didn’t do any major buying at the deadline, just picked up plekanec cheap for a 4C and went with what we had. I have never heard of a team in the playoffs (and I believe at the deadline we were in the lead or close to it in our division) selling off two thirds of their second line including their top goal scorer and a gritty guy like Komarov when they are trying to Push for the playoffs. Do you have any idea how ridiculous you sound?

It ended pretty well tho, didnt it...."your" push for the playoffs......with your false feeling of being cup-contender....
Oct. 25, 2018 at 12:31 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
It ended pretty well tho, didnt it...."your" push for the playoffs......with your false feeling of being cup-contender....

Well we should probably trade mathews marner nylander and Kadri right now too so we can get some good picks by your standards right?

Why would we trade bozak and jvr without knowing that we would land Tavares?

I hate to break it to you but their were 30 teams that didn’t win the cup last year. All you can do is ice the best team you can.

You have no clue who will win the cup any given year, I don’t think using your super powers of hindsight makes you intelligent. Get up and away from the keyboard and watch some hockey maybe try playing, might give you a greater understanding of game.
Oct. 25, 2018 at 12:35 a.m.
Edited Oct. 25, 2018 at 2:59 a.m.
Well we should probably trade mathews marner nylander and Kadri right now too so we can get some good picks by your standards right?

I hate to break it to you but their were 30 teams that didn’t win the cup last year. All you can do is ice the best team you can.

You have no clue who will win the cup any given year, I don’t think using your super powers of hindsight makes you intelligent. Get up and away from the keyboard and watch some hockey maybe try playing, might give you a greater understanding of game.

hopeless

but if you would be able to think what i wanted to point with them in 4th line, you would ( ofc with using brains, which i doubt more and more its possible in your case ) notice what my point was. "Your" push for playoffs would be doable even without those three and JVR trade in Feb 2018 could bring you Pacioretty kind of income.....for the bold moves you need balls and brains.....thats why proly you cant understand what im trying to prove here....

PS
You would be surprised about my ice-hockey pro playing history ( Europe ), but wont really discuss my RL with some pretencious kids on internet forum....

Tavares was sure shot to come after hitting UFA...but you were proly to young to notice how Burke was hunting him when he wasnt even draftable
Oct. 25, 2018 at 12:58 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
hopeless

but if you would be able to think what i wanted to point with them in 4th line, you would ( ofc with using brains, which i doubt more and more its possible in your case ) notice what my point was. "Your" push for playoffs would be doable even without those three and JVR trade in Feb 2018 could bring you Pacioretty kind of income.....for the bold moves you need balls and brains.....thats why proly you cant understand what im trying to prove here....

PS
You would be surprised about my ice-hockey pro playing history, but wont really discuss my RL with some pretencious kids on internet forum....

Bahahaha... pro hockey... nah bud you’ve proved your point. Patches wasn’t a TDL. Nothing but picks and prospects coming back to Toronto for our leading goal scorer going into the playoffs. I’m not even a jvr fan, he’s got one trick and it isn’t back checking. But we had to keep him and decide whether or not we were going to re sign him. We snagged Tavares and cut the other two loose. Wish we coukd’ve Kept uncle Leo but I’m glad he’s making some good money. The problem is you see numbers and dollar signs and not people, players and teams.
Oct. 25, 2018 at 3:30 a.m.
Edited Oct. 25, 2018 at 12:25 p.m.
The problem is you see numbers and dollar signs and not people, players and teams.

True, its salary cap era, so you go full strategy ( where you have to be objective about being cup-contender ) or you end like ANA next year...which is actually hard to explain to ppl that "learned their hockey" from EA Sports and watching games from their armchair on PayTV.

Bahahaha... pro hockey... nah bud you’ve proved your point. Patches wasn’t a TDL. Nothing but picks and prospects coming back to Toronto for our leading goal scorer going into the playoffs. I’m not even a jvr fan, he’s got one trick and it isn’t back checking. But we had to keep him and decide whether or not we were going to re sign him. We snagged Tavares and cut the other two loose. Wish we coukd’ve Kept uncle Leo but I’m glad he’s making some good money.

Yes, cause Nash, Tatar & Stastny just brought nothing to the selling teams....you are right.

Nash and Stastny are what is called rentals, not JVR, Bozak, Komarov and this year Gardiner ( as you like to call them ) Those are guys that did their job for the team thru the years and you either re-sign them ( which i wouldnt except for Gardiner ) or you make them rentals by trading them at TDL in their last year of contract. Again.....TML were far from Cup-contenders last season, so they should trade for picks and prospects, lose in 1st round anyway and rebuild further, but they just packed 28 GA in seven games and letting them go after. Cause i see how useless it is to explain basics to you, i will back out and give you a win here so on friday night you will be able to boast infront of your pond-hockey buddies how you roasted someone on forums......

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll