Forums/Armchair-GM

Barrie-Point

Created by: SankFeravalli
Team: 2018-19 Colorado Avalanche
Initial Creation Date: Nov. 4, 2018
Published: Nov. 4, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Tampa Fans - I know everyone loves Brayden Point, so don’t come at me to hard for suggesting he could be traded. Simply based on value-for-value, is this a fair trade?

Colorado is looking for forward help on their second line, at center or right wing. Tampa tried to add Erik Karlsson, and while Barrie centrainly isn’t EK, he’s a very good puck-moving, right-shot defenseman. I’m also not sure how the Lightning are planning to resign Point, with the money they have committed to other parts of their team (especially after the Gourde dea). This, among many other reasons, is why I’m not a GM.

Here are their respective numbers from last year and so far this year (G+A=P in GP)

Barrie:
2017-18 14+43=57 in 68 games
2018-19 0+11=11 in 14 games

Point:
2017-18 32+34=66 in 82 games
2018-19 7+8=15 in 13 games
Trades
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the COL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
25$79,500,000$63,545,595$0$2,377,500$15,954,405
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$5,571,429$5,571,429
LW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$6,300,000$6,300,000
C
UFA - 5
$1,400,000$1,400,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,850,000$2,850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$4,750,000$4,750,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, C
UFA - 1
$1,975,000$1,975,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$3,937,500$3,937,500
C, LW
UFA - 1
$950,000$950,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
LW, C, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$100,000$100K)
C, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
C
UFA - 1
$885,833$885,833 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C
UFA - 2
$833,333$833,333
C
RFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
$686,667$686,667 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
C, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,450,000$3,450,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 5
$5,900,000$5,900,000
G
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD
UFA - 1
$3,333,333$3,333,333
G
UFA - 3
$2,150,000$2,150,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
RD
RFA - 3
$1,450,000$1,450,000
LD
UFA - 2
$728,333$728,333 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
LD/RD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Nov. 4, 2018 at 10:43 p.m.
Edited Nov. 4, 2018 at 10:59 p.m.
basically what my last 5 posts have suggested but ok.

Point for Barrie 1 for 1 is not a fair trade. Barrie has 2 years left before UFA and Point is an RFA this offseason. Point is much more valuable. In my previous posts I have suggested Point and a cap dump (Callahan) for Barrie (50% salary retained), Andrighetto, 2019 COL 1st, 2020 COL 2nd
Nov. 4, 2018 at 11:09 p.m.
Quoting: moli92

Point for Barrie 1 for 1 is not a fair trade. Barrie has 2 years left before UFA and Point is an RFA this offseason. Point is much more valuable. In my previous posts I have suggested Point and a cap dump (Callahan) for Barrie (50% salary retained), Andrighetto, 2019 COL 1st, 2020 COL 2nd

TBL won't let him go without the OTT 1st which I know people think is preposterous to do, but it's not preposterous to ask of that for Point. Might not do it, but that's what has to be in the deal for TBL to even get there mind halfway changed about the ideda of moving Point.
Nov. 4, 2018 at 11:16 p.m.
Quoting: BeastModeUnknown
TBL won't let him go without the OTT 1st which I know people think is preposterous to do, but it's not preposterous to ask of that for Point. Might not do it, but that's what has to be in the deal for TBL to even get there mind halfway changed about the ideda of moving Point.

I would be willing to give up the 2019 OTT 1st in exchange for point, but would not add Barrie on top of that.

Do you mean the OTT pick for Point as a 1 for 1 deal? Or what more would COL have to add?
Nov. 4, 2018 at 11:24 p.m.
I would be willing to give up the 2019 OTT 1st in exchange for point, but would not add Barrie on top of that.

Do you mean the OTT pick for Point as a 1 for 1 deal? Or what more would COL have to add?

I'm thinking Ott 1st, and a prospect in exchange for point
Nov. 4, 2018 at 11:47 p.m.

as long as the prospect isnt makar, timmins, kaut, or bowers id say yes. which prospect were you thinking of?
Nov. 4, 2018 at 11:52 p.m.
Jesus Christ Is King
Morrison or Greer and OTT 1st should make TBL happy .

there is other prospects TBL would rather have but i think both teams could settle on a Morrison or Greer .
Nov. 4, 2018 at 11:58 p.m.
Sorry but not gonna happen. Not trying to be mean but I wanna give you real reasons why it is a no from Tampa. Point is the heart and soul of our team. He is our top goal scorer this yr as well. He is 1 of our 4 best defenders in our forward group. On paper his line is our 2nd line but that is to show respect to our Captain's line. In reality, Point's line is our top line. Which includes Gourde, Point, & Johnson/Palat (who's day to day injured right now). This yr, Cooper is trying to roll all 4 lines equally in ice time however Point's line plays in the biggest situations. It's not the Stammer/ Kuch line out there when the game is on the line. No matter who we play, Point's line plays against the other teams top line. Especially in last yrs playoffs. We start every game with that line. We started OT tonight with Point & Gourde with McD and they won us the game in there 1st shift. We just locked up Gourde for 6 yrs. Johnson is locked up and next will be Point. Our GM JBB has said he will resign him in the off season. Translation he needs time to move some pieces out to clear cap for him. Don't be surprised when big fan favorite player(s)/ contract(s) are moved out at the TDL or off season. Then their is the fans... Tampa fans would rather lose Stammer than lose Point and Tampa loves Stammer. Sorry this is long and again I am not trying to be mean. Just from Tampa's point of view, he is on the untouchable list.
Nov. 5, 2018 at 12:17 a.m.
Edited Nov. 5, 2018 at 12:22 a.m.
Quoting: drumr0213
Sorry but not gonna happen. Not trying to be mean but I wanna give you real reasons why it is a no from Tampa. Point is the heart and soul of our team. He is our top goal scorer this yr as well. He is 1 of our 4 best defenders in our forward group. On paper his line is our 2nd line but that is to show respect to our Captain's line. In reality, Point's line is our top line. Which includes Gourde, Point, & Johnson/Palat (who's day to day injured right now). This yr, Cooper is trying to roll all 4 lines equally in ice time however Point's line plays in the biggest situations. It's not the Stammer/ Kuch line out there when the game is on the line. No matter who we play, Point's line plays against the other teams top line. Especially in last yrs playoffs. We start every game with that line. We started OT tonight with Point & Gourde with McD and they won us the game in there 1st shift. We just locked up Gourde for 6 yrs. Johnson is locked up and next will be Point. Our GM JBB has said he will resign him in the off season. Translation he needs time to move some pieces out to clear cap for him. Don't be surprised when big fan favorite player(s)/ contract(s) are moved out at the TDL or off season. Then their is the fans... Tampa fans would rather lose Stammer than lose Point and Tampa loves Stammer. Sorry this is long and again I am not trying to be mean. Just from Tampa's point of view, he is on the untouchable list.

"Tampa fans would rather lose Stammer than lose point". That statement is pure crazy, and is wayyy overvaluing a guy with 1 elite season. I agree with your overall thought though - Point is likely untouchable.

I've always thought Barrie to TBL would be good fit for a trade, but I thought (/hoped) it would be going after Miller or Gourde. And I think you were grossly undervaluing Barrie in your AGM's trade.

Trading the OTT 1st doesn't make sense for either team here. COL wouldn't want to move a pick that *should be* in the top 5, especially because COL is still wrapping up their rebuild. TBL is in win-now mode, so moving a top-2 center for a draft pick shoots themselves in the foot after all the trades they've made to be an elite team.
Nov. 5, 2018 at 2:00 a.m.
MK458
Personally think Point has far more value. Young, one of the fastest players in the league, coming of his ELC, and he'd be a number 1 centre on a lot of teams. Barrie is an amazing offensive dman, but 2 years of him are not worth Brayden Point
Nov. 5, 2018 at 2:02 a.m.
Quoting: drumr0213

Who will they get rid of to get cap space to sign him? They just signed a number of forwards since 2017 to extensions which include some sort of NTC/NMC. They left Point's extension to the very end. Unless point wants to sign a deal for $3M AAV someone has to go
Nov. 5, 2018 at 6:33 a.m.
as long as the prospect isnt makar, timmins, kaut, or bowers id say yes. which prospect were you thinking of?

Kamenev?
Nov. 5, 2018 at 7:50 a.m.
Who will they get rid of to get cap space to sign him? They just signed a number of forwards since 2017 to extensions which include some sort of NTC/NMC. They left Point's extension to the very end. Unless point wants to sign a deal for $3M AAV someone has to go

The two they would get the most return for would be Miller or Gourde before their NTCs kick in (assuming they sign Point).

I think Callahan is a lock to get moved. He can still be traded to 16 teams, so I'm sure they could bribe a team to take his cap hit - I think NYR would make sense, because his history, the teams' recent trade relationship, and the Rangers are rebuilding.

Lastly, TBL could always try to get Killorn or Johnson to waive their NTCs. I think that's much less likely, but they may be open to move to a team where they would have a more prominent role.
Nov. 5, 2018 at 7:57 a.m.

Jost , kamanev, ?
Nov. 5, 2018 at 8:59 a.m.
ThatGuy014Rob

Colorado would not take a cap dump at this point they are hopeful playoff contenders, so they are going to look to resign the players they have, but I agree TBL wouldn't do this, but I do not see TBL being able to resign Point and/or McD so they are going to have to make a decision to go for it or make a trade before the deadline.
Nov. 5, 2018 at 10:37 a.m.

That is a great question, who do you get rid of? We have 3 older dman (Stals, Girardi, CoBurn) who will be, I would assume getting smaller amounts on there next contracts b/c of age/back end of their prime. My guess is we only sign 1 of the 3 and for less than there current contact and a short term. Example: Say Stals for $2-3M range for 1-2 yrs. He loves it here and I think would sign it. I think Cernak (RHD) is a lock for next yr cause he almost beat out 1 of those 3 I mentioned for a job this yr. Koekkoek has had ice time now that Hedman has been hurt and looks really good. I mean really good. He gets resigned and for a lot let than again the 3 guys I mentioned... So then Serg would stay on the right side. Foote not ready for next yr and is probably 2yrs out. So next yr would be something like: Hedman-Stals; McD-Cernak; KK-Serg. My point is we will have some cap savings for Point from the D-Core BUT it will not be enough, I think Point will get $7-8M range. So where else does it come from? Callahan will get moved at the TDL or off season. He is a fan favorite, huge in the playoffs, and a leader on this team but we can't afford that much cap for a guy who plays 4th line for us. Does some $ get retained to move him, maybe. Do we lose a pick(s) or prospect(s) to move him, probably. BUT with Calli and DCore savings; boom, we can afford Point and Syracuse players whom make the team. Also 2 yrs from now when we have to resign Vasy & Serg, here's a few points. Killorn, Miller, maybe even Palat. all have NTC or modified NTC but if one or more of them have to go, than they may get pressured to waive it. Probably one of them will go to the new Seattle expansion team as well. Also Paquette has had a really good season so far but I don't see him getting resigned as well. It could be that when Point gets the big contract, than Serg just may not be in the budget and gets traded next yr. Who knows. Sorry again if this is long. It's just several things can happen so there are many, many, many options. Then you got the whole Eric Karlsson wants to come to Tampa rumor and hasnt signed with San Jose yet so man, who knows. But I do believe Point gets resigned, it won't be a bridge, it will be a long term and a little less than Stammer money. That is my guess.
Nov. 5, 2018 at 10:53 a.m.
Quoting: AIRWICK
Jost , kamanev, ?

Jost isn't a prospect anymore.

Even though Kamenev is in his first full season he is still an NHL roster player and I wouldn't call him a prospect either.

If the OTT 1st is being moved neither of them are leaving on top of that
Nov. 5, 2018 at 10:59 a.m.
Quoting: Billy316
Morrison or Greer and OTT 1st should make TBL happy .

there is other prospects TBL would rather have but i think both teams could settle on a Morrison or Greer .

i would take that deal in a heartbeat if i was COL

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll