SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Will women play in the NHL?

When will women play in the NHL?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Nov. 6, 2018 at 1:46 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
It's an interesting question that has been asked a lot. I'm not gonna lie, i think it might happen sooner than we think. No idea when though. But you never know what could happen in 10-20 years ... go ahead 10 years from now and there might be a few women in the NHL. What do you think?
Nov. 6, 2018 at 2:03 p.m.
I would argue that size difference might be a barrier to entry, but then again Johnny Hockey is excelling.
jmac490 liked this.
Nov. 6, 2018 at 3:40 p.m.
Maybe as a goalie, but I think the physical aspect would just be to tough for a women to handle. Against other women its one thing, to have a guy like Ovie of Buff coming down on you is a whole different story.
KSIxSKULLS, mhockey91, Kotkaniemi15 and 1 other person liked this.
Nov. 6, 2018 at 4:34 p.m.
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
It's an interesting question that has been asked a lot. I'm not gonna lie, i think it might happen sooner than we think. No idea when though. But you never know what could happen in 10-20 years ... go ahead 10 years from now and there might be a few women in the NHL. What do you think?

do u realize that team Canadas women olympic team plays exhibition games against midget minor/major AAA teams? women will NEVER play in the nhl. its just not physically possible
Brian2016 and palhal liked this.
Nov. 6, 2018 at 5:11 p.m.
Quoting: mhockey91
do u realize that team Canadas women olympic team plays exhibition games against midget minor/major AAA teams? women will NEVER play in the nhl. its just not physically possible

The idea is ridiculous. The only position that women could possibly play in Goalie. And given the trend of Goalies being 6' 4" and taller these days, I just don't see it happening. Other positions are too physically demanding. Can you imagine a 20 year old girl being leveled by a Tom Wilson body check? As long as hockey is a contact sport women will have to play in their own league.
mhockey91, CFMan and SpaghettiPasta liked this.
Nov. 6, 2018 at 5:12 p.m.
Quoting: wojme
I would argue that size difference might be a barrier to entry, but then again Johnny Hockey is excelling.

I think Johnny Gaudreau might take offense to being compared to a woman. Lol.
mhockey91, CFMan and SpaghettiPasta liked this.
Nov. 6, 2018 at 5:15 p.m.
Quoting: Brian2016
The idea is ridiculous. The only position that women could possibly play in Goalie. And given the trend of Goalies being 6' 4" and taller these days, I just don't see it happening. Other positions are too physically demanding. Can you imagine a 20 year old girl being leveled by a Tom Wilson body check? As long as hockey is a contact sport women will have to play in their own league.

idek why this is a thread. like the idea is sooooooo ridiculous. its like asking "do u think mcdavid will ever score 300 points in a season"
it will NEVER EVER HAPPEN. zero percent chance. there is no argument to be made. its facts

lets make this more interesting. do you ever think there will be women coaches, GM's etc...
I say theres definitely a possibility for that one day
CFMan liked this.
Nov. 6, 2018 at 5:48 p.m.
Molson beer is meh
Coach or GM is much more likely. I give that 5-10 years.

Goalie would be the next step. Highly unlikely however. It does happen quite frequently for pro women Goaltenders to practice with NHL teams when a goalie is having a therapy day or something like that.

As a forward or defensemen, I doubt it. Perhaps one day there will be a 6’ + tall woman who can skate and compete. Yet to see it though.

More interesting question is when the NHL will get the first transgender woman. That is a much higher possibility.
mhockey91 and Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Nov. 6, 2018 at 6:06 p.m.
Quoting: Blazingbat11
Coach or GM is much more likely. I give that 5-10 years.

Goalie would be the next step. Highly unlikely however. It does happen quite frequently for pro women Goaltenders to practice with NHL teams when a goalie is having a therapy day or something like that.

As a forward or defensemen, I doubt it. Perhaps one day there will be a 6’ + tall woman who can skate and compete. Yet to see it though.

More interesting question is when the NHL will get the first transgender woman. That is a much higher possibility.

I was thinking that but didnt want to bring that up
krakowitz and nobody liked this.
Nov. 6, 2018 at 7:21 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
idek why this is a thread. like the idea is sooooooo ridiculous. its like asking "do u think mcdavid will ever score 300 points in a season"
it will NEVER EVER HAPPEN. zero percent chance. there is no argument to be made. its facts

lets make this more interesting. do you ever think there will be women coaches, GM's etc...
I say theres definitely a possibility for that one day

I'd definitely say it's at least a possibility. Someday maybe. Idk why people are acting like it CAN NEVER HAPPEN. Even if we're talking about size here, there are a lot of small players right now, like Gaudreau.
Nov. 6, 2018 at 9:39 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
I think it is very unlikely, but could happen. But for it to happen, it would take an extremely exceptional player and a management group that’s completely committed to the idea. I think we’re still a ways away yet.
Bflo_Soldier liked this.
Nov. 6, 2018 at 10:07 p.m.
I'd definitely say it's at least a possibility. Someday maybe. Idk why people are acting like it CAN NEVER HAPPEN. Even if we're talking about size here, there are a lot of small players right now, like Gaudreau.

Just cause gaudreau is short doesn’t mean he’s not strong lmao that is such a bad example. Buddy; women OLYMPIANS train against minor midget AAA teams and the games are competitive... if you’re saying that a women could one day join the NHL that’s the same as saying a 16 year old boy could. And I believe those games are non contact so if you include contact the AAA team would destroy them. It is PHYSICALLY impossible. Just to put this into perspective, one of the greatest women hockey player of all time, Hayley whickenhiser played in a D2 finish men’s league for 10 games and scored 0 points. That’s D2 finish hockey league and one of the best women of all time. Probably a step up from beer league. Zero chance any women steps foot in the NHL. Not being sexist, it’s just facts
SpaghettiPasta liked this.
Nov. 6, 2018 at 10:10 p.m.
Just cause gaudreau is short doesn’t mean he’s not strong lmao that is such a bad example. Buddy; women OLYMPIANS train against minor midget AAA teams and the games are competitive... if you’re saying that a women could one day join the NHL that’s the same as saying a 16 year old boy could. And I believe those games are non contact so if you include contact the AAA team would destroy them. It is PHYSICALLY impossible. Just to put this into perspective, one of the greatest women hockey player of all time, Hayley whickenhiser played in a D2 finish men’s league for 10 games and scored 0 points. That’s D2 finish hockey league and one of the best women of all time. Probably a step up from beer league. Zero chance any women steps foot in the NHL. Not being sexist, it’s just facts

https://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/news/2009-nwt-007-en
Article on women vs midget AAA. That’s the level they’re playing at
Nov. 7, 2018 at 7:42 a.m.
Edited Nov. 7, 2018 at 7:50 a.m.
Anyone saying it's not ever possible clearly doesn't know the history of groups of people who it was once said could never play major pro sports before.

There is certainly a lot standing in the way right now. Think of the disparity in funding that goes into the development of players depending on their gender. Not to mention the stigma to overcome that is clearly on display here.

It would take an immensely talented female with the right body type, incredible mental toughness (mostly for the stuff that would happen off the ice than on), and a structure (societal and within the hockey community) with it's own motivation to properly develop their talents. That's a lot to overcome, for sure. But to say it's not ever possible is to not know that those same barriers were (and in some cases still are) in place for others who have been able to overcome them already.
rangersandislesfan and nobody liked this.
Nov. 7, 2018 at 10:17 a.m.
Black Lives Matter

I get what you're saying, but i think one day it might happen. I'm not saying a woman will suddenly sign an NHL contract this season and play already, i'm saying maybe in 10-20 years. But i do think it will happen eventually, someday at least.
Nov. 7, 2018 at 10:38 a.m.

I'm curious as to why you think it's possible?

Have you heard of Hayley Wickenheiser? She's the Wayne Gretzky of women's hockey (the greatest ever by a wide margin). She's also 5'9 and 175 lbs.

26-GP| 18-G | 33-A | 51-PTS | Olympic Totals (19 points and 0.5 points per game better than any women in history).
51-GP| 68-G | 87-A | 155-PTS | WWHL Totals (over 3 points per game and 1 point per game better than anyone else).

The Olympics are the pinnacle of women's hockey and the WWHL was the best women's league in the world when she played.

Here's where it gets interesting. She also made history as the first women to play men's professional hockey.

10-GP| 0-G | 0-A | 0-PTS | Mestis - 2003-04 (Finand's 2nd tier men's professional league after Liiga).
21-GP| 1-G | 2-A | 3-PTS | Ettan - 2008-09 (Sweden's 3rd tier men's professional league after the SHL and Allsvenskan).

CONCLUSION:

1. Wickenheiser dominated women on the same level that Gretzky dominated men.
2. She's taller and heavier than a fair number of NHL superstars and Hall of Famer's.
3. She didn't last a year in men's professional leagues that rank far below the ECHL.
4. Defense and puck battles were her glaring weakness (not her offensive stats).

The Canadian Women's Olympic Team loses exhibition games to 14 year old boys (AAA teams) who aren't allowed to hit.

That's a big jump to the NHL.
mhockey91 and KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Nov. 7, 2018 at 11:48 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: drewjenks

Have you heard of Hayley Wickenheiser? She's the Wayne Gretzky of women's hockey (the greatest ever by a wide margin). She's also 5'9 and 175 lbs.

26-GP| 18-G | 33-A | 51-PTS | Olympic Totals (19 points and 0.5 points per game better than any women in history).
51-GP| 68-G | 87-A | 155-PTS | WWHL Totals (over 3 points per game and 1 point per game better than anyone else).

The Olympics are the pinnacle of women's hockey and the WWHL was the best women's league in the world when she played.

Here's where it gets interesting. She also made history as the first women to play men's professional hockey.

10-GP| 0-G | 0-A | 0-PTS | Mestis - 2003-04 (Finand's 2nd tier men's professional league after Liiga).
21-GP| 1-G | 2-A | 3-PTS | Ettan - 2008-09 (Sweden's 3rd tier men's professional league after the SHL and Allsvenskan).

CONCLUSION:

2. She's taller and heavier than a fair number of NHL superstars and Hall of Famer's.
3. She didn't last a year in men's professional leagues that rank far below the ECHL.
4. Defense and puck battles were her glaring weakness (not her offensive stats).

The Canadian Women's Olympic Team loses exhibition games to 14 year old boys (AAA teams) who aren't allowed to hit.

But think about it. There have been thousands of men who are good enough to play in the NHL. So if a woman plays as much hockey as the players that are in the NHL, it could happen one day. I'm just saying, who knows what could happen in a few decades?
Nov. 7, 2018 at 12:00 p.m.
But think about it. There have been thousands of men who are good enough to play in the NHL. So if a woman plays as much hockey as the players that are in the NHL, it could happen one day. I'm just saying, who knows what could happen in a few decades?

The argument they are making is that it hasn't happened (which actually isn't true), so it can't happen. It's a fallacy.
Nov. 7, 2018 at 12:14 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Bflo_Soldier
The argument they are making is that it hasn't happened (which actually isn't true), so it can't happen. It's a fallacy.

It's never happened in the regular season. But i agree it's at least possible. They're saying that they don't think it will happen which i understand, but i don't agree that it "can't" happen.
Nov. 7, 2018 at 12:57 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Before someone starts it, I hope people realize that this thread isn't discriminating against women at all. This is simply due to their physical differences
Nov. 7, 2018 at 1:41 p.m.
Below Market Value
Quoting: krakowitz
Before someone starts it, I hope people realize that this thread isn't discriminating against women at all. This is simply due to their physical differences

Nah, personally, I don't think women should be allowed in the NHL because they have cooties.
J2W, Buchnevesey, krakowitz and 5 others liked this.
Nov. 7, 2018 at 1:42 p.m.
Quoting: DoctorBreakfast
Nah, personally, I don't think women should be allowed in the NHL because they have cooties.

Ewww cooties.
SpaghettiPasta liked this.
Nov. 7, 2018 at 1:57 p.m.
Quoting: drewjenks

CONCLUSION:

Great analysis. 100% true
Nov. 7, 2018 at 2:00 p.m.
Quoting: Bflo_Soldier
Anyone saying it's not ever possible clearly doesn't know the history of groups of people who it was once said could never play major pro sports before.

There is certainly a lot standing in the way right now. Think of the disparity in funding that goes into the development of players depending on their gender. Not to mention the stigma to overcome that is clearly on display here.

It would take an immensely talented female with the right body type, incredible mental toughness (mostly for the stuff that would happen off the ice than on), and a structure (societal and within the hockey community) with it's own motivation to properly develop their talents. That's a lot to overcome, for sure. But to say it's not ever possible is to not know that those same barriers were (and in some cases still are) in place for others who have been able to overcome them already.

it’s the PHYSICAL BARRIERS that prevent this from happening. Women are not strong enough, fast enough, agile enough, etc... this will never ever ever ever ever happen. This is not a discriminatory thing like racism in hockey. This is just facts. There is a better chance that one of those Kenyan hockey players From the Tim hortons commercial make the NHL then a women. Least they have the physical capacity.
Nov. 7, 2018 at 2:02 p.m.
I get what you're saying, but i think one day it might happen. I'm not saying a woman will suddenly sign an NHL contract this season and play already, i'm saying maybe in 10-20 years. But i do think it will happen eventually, someday at least.

Dude have you even taken grade 11 bio yet? Clearly not lmao. It’s PHYSICALLY impossible. If Haley wickenhiser struggled immensely against men in a league below the ECHL and she’s the “best women of all time” no women will touch the ice in any North American pro hockey leagues (NHL, AHL, ECHL)

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit