Forums/Armchair-GM

Nylander trades ranked by TOR Cup wins

Created by: Eli
Team: 2018-19 Washington Capitals
Initial Creation Date: Nov. 13, 2018
Published: Nov. 13, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
From fewest definite Toronto Cups to most, here are possible Caps players the Leafs could trade Nylander for:
Free Agent Signings
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Nye, Bill
7$5,500,000
Trades
WSH
    Skylander, Will I Am
    TOR
    1. Bowey, Madison
    2. Connolly, Brett
    3. Smith-Pelly, Devante
    Additional Details:
    Doesn't quite get them there this year, but Bowey improves after Gardiner leaves (leafs?) as a UFA, and the Leafs remain on experts' lists of "contenders" for a long time. With another rental at the deadline, maybe Hainsey and a 2nd for Mike Green, this year isn't impossible, but Bowey is worth Nylander in trade, but not as good this year until he gets more experience.
    WSH
      Nylander, Not Buffalo--Bill
      TOR
      1. Niskanen, Matt
      Additional Details:
      Leafs win the Cup this year. Game over. Next year, they still have a great chance. After that, it's up to Liljegren and Sandin. So this gets them 1.5 Cups.
      WSH
      1. 2019 2nd round pick (TOR)
      Additional Details:
      The Nylander who only got 22 goals and 39 assists with Auston Matthews and JVR? Weaksauce, but if he gets real about his salary demands, and sights 5.5Mx7years, it gives the Caps some cap stability, and a fresh face to market.
      TOR
      1. Burakovsky, André
      2. Kempný, Michal
      Additional Details:
      Burakovsky got 17 goals as a 20 year old, playing with a rookie center and a late thirties wing. He got 41 goals as a rookie in Erie. Same skill set. Can carry the puck end to end and make decent passes, or some pretty good shots. Went from twice Nylander's career playoff goal total to three times it, in just game seven of the Eastern Conference Finals.

Kempny is like Hainsey, but half the price. Extend Burakovsky for five years at 4M, and he's just like Nylander, but actually good when it counts.

Adding an equally good goal scorer, plus a decent defenseman gives the Leafs cheap depth at two positions for most of the Tavares window, Over four years, this probably gets them two Cups.
      WSH
      1. Liljegren, Timothy
      2. Sandin, Rasmus
      3. Timashov, Dmytro
      4. 2019 1st round pick (TOR)
      Additional Details:
      Nylander
      TOR
      1. Bindulis, Kris
      2. Carlson, John
      3. Jaskin, Dmitrij
      4. Mitchell, Mason
      Additional Details:
      Carlson is every bit as valuable as Tavares, and only one year older. He plays all of the Caps' power plays. When Niskanen needs a break, he is a solid penalty killer. He led the NHL's defensemen in points last season and last postseason. Add him to the Leafs, keep making good moves, and they could win three of the next five. Part of the high price is that there's a temporary shortage of right shot defensemen in the NHL (but an excess of LHD, so Gardiner can be just about replaced in UFA, or might even test the market and then take a pay cut after he feels the pinch of supply and demand). Caps don't think about trading John Carlson, until they hear this offer, and then, okay. I threw in Jaskin because Babs wants more big, tough checking guys.
      DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
      Logo of the WSH
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the WSH
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the WSH
      Logo of the WSH
      Logo of the WSH
      Logo of the WSH
      Logo of the WSH
      Logo of the WSH
      Logo of the WSH
      Logo of the WSH
      Logo of the WSH
      Logo of the WSH
      Logo of the WSH
      Logo of the WSH
      Logo of the WSH
      Logo of the WSH
      Logo of the WSH
      Logo of the WSH
      Logo of the WSH
      ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
      21$79,500,000$55,778,739$82,500$1,447,500$23,721,261
      Left WingCentreRight Wing
      Logo of the Washington Capitals
      $9,538,462$9,538,462
      LW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 3
      $3,900,000$3,900,000
      C
      UFA - 7
      $5,166,667$5,166,667
      RW
      UFA - 6
      $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$600,000$600K)
      LW
      UFA - 1
      $6,700,000$6,700,000
      C
      M-NTC
      UFA - 2
      $5,750,000$5,750,000
      RW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 7
      $860,000$860,000
      LW
      UFA - 3
      $2,415,000$2,415,000
      C
      UFA - 5
      Nye, Bill
      $5,500,000$5,500,000
      Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
      $694,444$694,444 (Performance Bonus$165,000$165K)
      LW
      UFA - 2
      $800,000$800,000
      C, RW
      UFA - 2
      $650,000$650,000
      C, LW
      UFA - 1
      $650,000$650,000
      C
      UFA - 1
      Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
      $1,275,000$1,275,000
      LD
      UFA - 5
      $6,100,000$6,100,000
      G
      M-NTC
      UFA - 2
      $650,000$650,000
      G
      UFA - 1
      $1,000,000$1,000,000 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
      LD
      NTC
      UFA - 1
      $714,166$714,166 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
      LD
      UFA - 2
      $650,000$650,000
      LD
      UFA - 1
      $925,000$925,000
      LD
      UFA - 4
      $894,167$894,167
      RD
      RFA - 4

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
      • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
      Nov. 13, 2018 at 9:37 a.m.
      These aren't even close to fair value
      Nov. 13, 2018 at 9:47 a.m.
      Daily NHL Follower
      I'll pass on all of them
      Eli liked this.
      Nov. 13, 2018 at 10:00 a.m.
      well this was 5 minutes of my life that ill never get back
      Nov. 13, 2018 at 10:06 a.m.
      I am assuming that this is actually a troll AGM.
      Nov. 13, 2018 at 10:08 a.m.
      Who adds what?
      Quoting: TheDream_43
      These aren't even close to fair value

Quoting: Caps_Man
      I'll pass on all of them

I'm with you, if he insists he's better than Pastrnak, but if he comes down on his asking price, and accepts a contract in the range of comparable players, they're not so bad.
      Nov. 13, 2018 at 10:08 a.m.
      Who adds what?
      Quoting: CastingCouchGuy
      well this was 5 minutes of my life that ill never get back

Quoting: biglite351
      I am assuming that this is actually a troll AGM.

Thanks for reading. It's always great talking to you both!
      Nov. 13, 2018 at 10:16 a.m.
      Who adds what?
      Quoting: Caps_Man
      I'll pass on all of them

I know I shouldn't be down on Kempny or Burakovsky over a slow start, but if BUrakovsky gets 4M next year, then a combination of Nylander and Siegenthaler could save a little cap space compared to Burakovsky and Kempny. Worst case, if Burakovsky takes a two year bridge deal and then signs for 6M in three years, when the Caps have to negotiate again with Holtby and Backstrom, trading them for a cost-controlled, long-term contract on a proven 2R could give the Caps an extra 3M cap space to keep two of their all time greats.

I'm not going to claim the other trades help the Caps much, but I did try to make them even. You think I'm buying into the hype, and overpaying? I think Sandin and Liljegren could be a solid third pair in two years, with maybe top four potential. If there's a lockout, they give the Caps some cheap depth to stay competitive. And of course those 1st round picks in lockout years are like twice as likely to make an impact, as the whole league gets younger with a lot of veterans moving away to Europe. Carlson would give the Leafs a dynasty, and Nylander is obviously only a quarter of the return, but I think I accounted for that.
      Nov. 13, 2018 at 10:19 a.m.
      You should trade Ovechkin @50% to the Penguins for Matt Cullen.

Using Eli logic...
      Ovechkin has 1 Cup, Cullen has 3.
      Cullen's 1st Cup offsets Ovechkin's.
      Cullen's 2nd Cup offsets the 50% retention.
      Cullen's 3rd Cup proves that he is better than Ovechkin.
      PLUS... This season Cullen has the most even strength assists than anyone else from his draft class. <- icing on the cake!!!

Ovechkin @50% for Cullen = Eli Logic no brainer!!!
      CastingCouchGuy and Caps_Man liked this.
      Nov. 13, 2018 at 10:20 a.m.
      Caps fan idk why
      You mean bill nylander who is a young elite player that teams should give up the world for ......but Toronto won’t pay him ......a must have player who can massively improve s team...... but the leafs won’t sign him.....

Why aren’t they signing this generational guy worth his weight in gold?
      Eli liked this.
      Nov. 13, 2018 at 10:20 a.m.
      Who adds what?
      You should trade Ovechkin @50% to the Penguins for Matt Cullen.

Using Eli logic...
      Ovechkin has 1 Cup, Cullen has 3.
      Cullen's 1st Cup offsets Ovechkin's.
      Cullen's 2nd Cup offsets the 50% retention.
      Cullen's 3rd Cup proves that he is better than Ovechkin.
      PLUS... This season Cullen has the most even strength assists than anyone else from his draft class. <- icing on the cake!!!

Ovechkin @50% for Cullen = Eli Logic no brainer!!!

Your jokes might land more often if you could read. smile
      Capitalfail67 liked this.
      Nov. 13, 2018 at 10:22 a.m.
      Caps fan idk why
      Quoting: Eli

He’s a penguins fan .... like the really really bad ones. Like the type who thinks tom Wilson can’t play hockey and skates around with a club instead of a hockey stick. Or the type who thinks letang is a top 5 defenseman still. Or thinks Crosby is better than Mc’david.
      Eli liked this.
      Nov. 13, 2018 at 10:34 a.m.

What did I miss?

That this was obviously a troll AGM? No, I got that.
      That you generally grossly overvalue the worth of having a Cup ring? No, I got that.
      That you generally grossly overvalue the worth of even strength whatever compared to others in the draft class? No, I got that.

So what did I not read that make that post appropriate for this AGM?
      Nov. 13, 2018 at 10:36 a.m.
      Quoting: Capitalfail67
      He’s a penguins fan .... like the really really bad ones. Like the type who thinks tom Wilson can’t play hockey and skates around with a club instead of a hockey stick. Or the type who thinks letang is a top 5 defenseman still. Or thinks Crosby is better than Mc’david.

Awe, I hurt your feelings by saying Wilson's value was more sentimental than on-ice... Do... do you need a hug? Eli, he needs a hug. Can you give him a hug? Awe... poor guy.
      Nov. 13, 2018 at 10:38 a.m.
      Who adds what?
      What did I miss?

That this was obviously a troll AGM? No, I got that.
      That you generally grossly overvalue the worth of having a Cup ring? No, I got that.
      That you generally grossly overvalue the worth of even strength whatever compared to others in the draft class? No, I got that.

So what did I not read that make that post appropriate for this AGM?

No. You missed that it's a thread predicting how many Cups the Leafs win with different additions to a lineup that's already widely considered a contender, but that's still got some defensive weaknesses to address. Bowey didn't even play in the playoffs, and he's the main piece of the first one. I often can't tell whether you misunderstand intentionally, or just misunderstand.
      Nov. 13, 2018 at 10:39 a.m.
      Who adds what?
      Awe, I hurt your feelings by saying Wilson's value was more sentimental than on-ice... Do... do you need a hug? Eli, he needs a hug. Can you give him a hug? Awe... poor guy.

Of course! https://www.google.com/search?q=Tom+Wilson+Ovechkin+hug&rlz=1C1JZAP_enUS794US795&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=U6AvkZsPOevf1M%253A%252CyCBRH6Z0PhQAXM%252C_&usg=AI4_-kRm1E2Qgr2WQgA6PK-HeeVUQewWpw&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwit29ru2dHeAhUNKawKHbWZBk8Q9QEwBHoECAQQCA#imgrc=U6AvkZsPOevf1M:
      Capitalfail67 liked this.
      Nov. 13, 2018 at 10:50 a.m.
      Caps fan idk why

No just think it’s funny. Unlike the leafs the caps are willing to risk money for talent. When Wilson comes back I can’t wait to @ you.
      Eli liked this.
      Nov. 13, 2018 at 10:51 a.m.
      Caps fan idk why
      Eli liked this.
      Nov. 13, 2018 at 11:44 a.m.
      Quoting: Capitalfail67
      No just think it’s funny. Unlike the leafs the caps are willing to risk money for talent. When Wilson comes back I can’t wait to @ you.

He's back.
      Nov. 13, 2018 at 11:50 a.m.
      No. You missed that it's a thread predicting how many Cups the Leafs win with different additions to a lineup that's already widely considered a contender, but that's still got some defensive weaknesses to address. Bowey didn't even play in the playoffs, and he's the main piece of the first one. I often can't tell whether you misunderstand intentionally, or just misunderstand.

That doesn't change anything that I said. Basically every trade that you posted was trash. How many Cups the trade would bring the Leafs is meaningless when looking at the individual trades. You posted your normal ramblings trying to justify each trade but people are only supposed to comment on the # of potential Cups and not comment on the value of the trades themselves? That's like crazy guy on the corner talking to things that aren't there level again.
      Nov. 13, 2018 at 11:51 a.m.

Would have been better if you just posted the picture as opposed to a link to a google search of pictures with one in the middle picked. But it's the right comeback none the less.
      Eli liked this.
      Nov. 13, 2018 at 11:59 a.m.
      Who adds what?
      That doesn't change anything that I said. Basically every trade that you posted was trash. How many Cups the trade would bring the Leafs is meaningless when looking at the individual trades. You posted your normal ramblings trying to justify each trade but people are only supposed to comment on the # of potential Cups and not comment on the value of the trades themselves? That's like crazy guy on the corner talking to things that aren't there level again.

These are the Nylander trades that make sense for Washington.... aside from Connolly and a 4th for Alex Nylander, of course. If you don't think they help Toronto enough, it sounds like you're quite capable of expressing that in terms requested, rather than nonsensical ad hominem attacks.
      Nov. 13, 2018 at 12:07 p.m.
      These are the Nylander trades that make sense for Washington.... aside from Connolly and a 4th for Alex Nylander, of course. If you don't think they help Toronto enough, it sounds like you're quite capable of expressing that in terms requested, rather than nonsensical ad hominem attacks.

Nylander for a 7th makes sense for Washington... but it doesn't mean that it has any realistic chance of happening, exactly like the trades that you listed above. The first 3 are just so bad that they barely rate comment ,_ the barely comment. The 4th at least the Leafs get Carlson, but what is going back to Washington is underpants on the outside crazy.
      Nov. 13, 2018 at 12:38 p.m.
      Who adds what?
      Nylander for a 7th makes sense for Washington... but it doesn't mean that it has any realistic chance of happening, exactly like the trades that you listed above. The first 3 are just so bad that they barely rate comment ,_ the barely comment. The 4th at least the Leafs get Carlson, but what is going back to Washington is underpants on the outside crazy.

I'm sorry, you think Tor can win the Cup without any of these trades? Build me a Leafs team that can win the ECF while Washington has Carlson, Niskanen and Bowey. cool
      Nov. 13, 2018 at 1:01 p.m.
      I'm sorry, you think Tor can win the Cup without any of these trades? Build me a Leafs team that can win the ECF while Washington has Carlson, Niskanen and Bowey. cool

As any Caps fan should know, any team can lose a playoff series, any team can win a playoff series. But technically, they could win the Cup as in right now, without Nylander in the lineup, without trading Nylander.

(At the moment)
      They are 4th in the league (points), 5th in GF/G, 7th in GA/G, 6th in PP, 12th in PK.
      They are 2nd in the East (points), 3rd in GF/G, 3rd in GA/G, 4th in PP, 4th in PK.

Without doing anything with Nylander they are contenders, as is. Don't let this technological marvel that you created lull you into a sense of invincibility.
      Nov. 13, 2018 at 10:25 p.m.
      Who adds what?
      As any Caps fan should know, any team can lose a playoff series, any team can win a playoff series. But technically, they could win the Cup as in right now, without Nylander in the lineup, without trading Nylander.

(At the moment)
      They are 4th in the league (points), 5th in GF/G, 7th in GA/G, 6th in PP, 12th in PK.
      They are 2nd in the East (points), 3rd in GF/G, 3rd in GA/G, 4th in PP, 4th in PK.

Without doing anything with Nylander they are contenders, as is. Don't let this technological marvel that you created lull you into a sense of invincibility.

Caps fans have heard the idea that any team can win once they get there, but they've also seen it disproven by Pittsburgh teams that started out bigger, tougher, faster, and more skilled, and then made deadline trades for leadership and elite goal scoring in new forms every year. The Caps would come in with better team defense, or with one great goal scorer, and get bounced, again, and again, and again. Caps fans know that it's hard to predict which team can win a seven game series by looking at standings points, because a seven game series is very different from an individual game, and it takes different strengths and different strategies.

So far, with anyone on their current roster, the Leafs have won 0% of their playoff series. Last year they ranked higher, and had more size and hitting, but didn't have as much offensive depth and skill. It was a gutsy decision to sign Tavares at a cost of Martin and Komarov. I applaud it. It was the right move for the game. I just hope they don't get bounced by the Islanders after that.

To create a post please Login or Register
      Question:
      Options:
      Add Option
      Submit Poll