Created by: tomkinoo
Team: 2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Nov. 14, 2018
Published: Nov. 14, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
3 Modern day trades where young talent was traded too young:

- Filip Forsberg to Nashville for Martin Erat, Michael Latta
- Tyler Seguin to Dallas for Loui Eriksson, Reilly Smith, Matt Fraser and Joe Morrow.
- Taylor Hall to the Devils for Adam Larsson

And for my leaf fans:

- Alex Steen, Carlo Colaiacovo to St Louis for Lee Stempniak
- Tuukka Rask to Boston for Andrew Raycroft

I could also list some trades where a GM was pressured into a trade (Hoffman and Karlsson off the top of my head), that didn’t go to well.

This is why I’d rather Nylander play a year in the KHL rather than trade him for the names that get floated around all the time.

A1 talent for A1 talent, or no trade.

Names I’d consider:
- Sanheim or Provorov
- Lindholm
- Parayko
- Ristolainen
- Slavin or Hamilton
- Dumba

Quality over quantity

This article supports this point very well

https://editorinleaf.com/2018/11/13/toronto-maple-leafs-myth-roster-balance/
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$79,500,000$68,208,333$2,550,000$6,250,000$11,291,667
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 7
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
C
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
RW
UFA - 1
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$787,500$787,500
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, C
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 4
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 6
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,050,000$4,050,000
LD
UFA - 1
RD
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
G
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 1
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 2
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Nov. 14, 2018 at 12:59 a.m.
Smokewise Ganja
Nylander is different i'd say. Could be argued as a product of matthews, and is asking for way too much money. The leafs really don't have a choice unless they trade either zaitsev or marleau.
Nov. 14, 2018 at 1:07 a.m.
Dubas for Prez
Quoting: smokewiseganja
Nylander is different i'd say. Could be argued as a product of matthews, and is asking for way too much money. The leafs really don't have a choice unless they trade either zaitsev or marleau.

I've done tones of AGMs keeping everybody , well except for Gardiner. And yes our defence doesn't look ideal in those, but as the article above suggests, the difference in skill between a Ozighanov and a Pesce let's say, does not change much for the overall team success.

A Nylander vs a Connor Brown on the other hand, has a more significant effect on team success
GenXHockey liked this.
Nov. 14, 2018 at 1:13 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: smokewiseganja

Think you need to read the description...

All great points and I agree with you completely. I am not in favour of any trades that bring back more than two players. (I know you said one) the trades you have listed are decent one for one type deals. I liked a few of the two player deals, spurgeon greenway... tanev virtanen these give us a solid offensive player back and a short term Dman to ease in liljegren. Also like the pesce foegele deal. Trading nylander for a bunch of 3rd line players and a mediocre Dman is not a good return and will end up like the trades you have posted.
Nov. 14, 2018 at 1:15 a.m.
Molson beer is meh
Edited Nov. 14, 2018 at 1:21 a.m.
almost everyone you mentioned (apart from Sanheim and Risto) are more valuable than Nylander. You are reaching.

and it's usually the team that's dealing from a position of weakness that gets the short end of the stick. Hall for Larsson was Chia being desperate for a defender being the most famous case of that.

Due to the circumstances of Nylander not being signed, having high demands, and Dubas now feeling pressured that he might have to trade him. I'd say TOR are 100% not dealing from a position of strength, wouldn't you say?!

and then there's that popular saying that other team GMs throw anchors and not life vets when it comes to helping other GMs out. So a trade involving Nylander will most likely end with the leafs settling, and definitely not reaching for those A1 guys you mentioned.
Nov. 14, 2018 at 6:58 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Blazingbat11
almost everyone you mentioned (apart from Sanheim and Risto) are more valuable than Nylander. You are reaching.

and it's usually the team that's dealing from a position of weakness that gets the short end of the stick. Hall for Larsson was Chia being desperate for a defender being the most famous case of that.

Due to the circumstances of Nylander not being signed, having high demands, and Dubas now feeling pressured that he might have to trade him. I'd say TOR are 100% not dealing from a position of strength, wouldn't you say?!

and then there's that popular saying that other team GMs throw anchors and not life vets when it comes to helping other GMs out. So a trade involving Nylander will most likely end with the leafs settling, and definitely not reaching for those A1 guys you mentioned.

I don't think Dubas (it's really the Leafs executive) are dealing from weakness at all. Nylander is still under Leafs NHL control for 5 years (less six weeks). So it's not like they have to trade him now or even this season. Many other trades are for players, including good players are for far less term. But Nylander's problem with any trade, is there might be very few teams that want to pay him more or least substantially more than the Leafs. So while I see many logical trades for Nylander....trade value wise, there is the bigger issue, and paying Nylander an appropriate salary that he and his new team would agree to.
At some time, maybe next year and the Leafs need cap space, a player like Nylander might have to be traded, and would be for less players and futures, so yes it will would be not those A1 players as you suggested.
Nov. 14, 2018 at 7:10 a.m.
Molson beer is meh
Quoting: palhal
I don't think Dubas (it's really the Leafs executive) are dealing from weakness at all. Nylander is still under Leafs NHL control for 5 years (less six weeks). So it's not like they have to trade him now or even this season. Many other trades are for players, including good players are for far less term. But Nylander's problem with any trade, is there might be very few teams that want to pay him more or least substantially more than the Leafs. So while I see many logical trades for Nylander....trade value wise, there is the bigger issue, and paying Nylander an appropriate salary that he and his new team would agree to.
At some time, maybe next year and the Leafs need cap space, a player like Nylander might have to be traded, and would be for less players and futures, so yes it will would be not those A1 players as you suggested.

for sure it's not a position of weakness if the Leafs are fine with him sitting out the rest of the year. As you say, they will maintain control of his rights. but I doubt that's the view point of management. leaving an asset of that caliber out of the of the lineup is not an option imo. either himself or moving him for someone else to help
Nov. 14, 2018 at 7:51 a.m.
Dubas for Prez
Quoting: Blazingbat11

So then don't trade, A1 or the KHL is my point
Nov. 14, 2018 at 8:08 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: tomkinoo
So then don't trade, A1 or the KHL is my point

Yea, I think the KHL or SHL is very possible option. The other reason not to trade Nylander especially if he gets a much bigger salary, is the that it sets a bad precedent. Would that just encourage other Leafs from "holding out" next year in hopes being traded so they can get a larger salary. So, the Leafs might just make a statement by not trading him, even if it hurts them on the ice this year.
tomkinoo liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll