SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(LAK / PIT) - Hagelin for Pearson

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Nov. 14, 2018 at 12:07 p.m.
A trade between Los Angeles Kings and Pittsburgh Penguins has been confirmed.
Trade Details
Los Angeles Kings Acquire:
Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
Carl Hagelin ($250,000 retained - 6.3%) · $3,750,000$3,750,000$3,436,875
Sum: $3,750,000$3,750,000$3,436,875
Change: $0
Change: -$363,125
Pittsburgh Penguins Acquire:
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
Tanner Pearson · $3,750,000$3,750,000$3,800,000
Sum: $3,750,000$3,750,000$3,800,000
Change: +$363,125
Nov. 14, 2018 at 12:18 p.m.
Below Market Value
Pearson is having an awful year, but is much younger than Hagelin, overall a better player, and is on a way better contract. It's possible he gets put with Crosby and can re-find his game. Even playing with Malkin or Brassard would objectively be better than playing with Kempe and Lewis like he has been recently. Advantage Pittsburgh.

LA wanting Hagelin is a sign of them addressing their need for faster skaters, but Hagelin doesn't bring much else, top six scoring-wise. He'll probably be dealt at the deadline.
okrepps185 and Reeds77 liked this.
Nov. 14, 2018 at 12:25 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
This is probably the Kings way of saying that they need more speed. Given Hagelin's status as a pending UFA, if the experiment doesn't work, they can flip him at the deadline. It's a decent plan for them, but they still didn't get enough value in this deal. While Hagelin will help out their PK, they need more goals. Hagelin is a huge downgrade from Pearson in that regard, even if Pearson hasn't gotten going yet this year.

LA is probably looking at this as Pearson isn't doing anything for them, so why not bring in someone else to help with the PK and mix things up.
Chopper02, exo2769, ZiggyPalffy and 3 others liked this.
Nov. 14, 2018 at 12:44 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Hagelin is a UFA after the year and Pearson is probably the better player. Yes, he's struggling and i understand the move for both teams, both teams are struggling and they have traded players who are struggling this year. However, i don't think it makes a ton of sense for LA. But we'll see how it turns out, it's too early to know.
Brian2016 liked this.
Nov. 14, 2018 at 12:47 p.m.
Crazy
What!? how did this happen.... to be honost im not that supprised the kings and the penguins both need a shake up in there locker room though i very much think that pittsburgh benifited from this deal, the kings got a okay player for pearson who if he has a good year can really be a great player i dont understand why the kings made this trade other than to shake up there locker room
Nov. 14, 2018 at 12:50 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
If the Leaf/King game was any indication the maximum value of any Kings player would be about a 4th rounder. Kings/Pens are hoping a change of scenery for both players help. Kings get some cap space for next year which might be their main objective. Certainly Hagelin will help with his speed and PK, although Kings just might be a lottery team this year anyway.
Brian2016 liked this.
Nov. 14, 2018 at 1:14 p.m.
Not yet trannycided
The BOG has flagged the following trades as potentially "obscenely unfair, having a profound impact on general market values or attempting to circumvent trade rules". We will be voting on whether deal reconstruction will be necessary, in the mean time all assets involved will be frozen.

Pittsburgh Penguins
Tanner Pearson

Los Angeles Kings
Carl Hagelin @ 6% retained
ItzMeTaboo, Missouri, BruinsWillWin2020 and 2 others liked this.
Nov. 14, 2018 at 1:39 p.m.
Quoting: Icegirl
The BOG has flagged the following trades as potentially "obscenely unfair, having a profound impact on general market values or attempting to circumvent trade rules". We will be voting on whether deal reconstruction will be necessary, in the mean time all assets involved will be frozen.

Pittsburgh Penguins
Tanner Pearson

Los Angeles Kings
Carl Hagelin @ 6% retained

You arent BOG.
Nov. 14, 2018 at 1:41 p.m.
exo2769
PIT definitely won the trade. Curious what JR's going to do next year though. Jake's getting a big raise and they need to ice a team. Already not a lot of cap space. Kudos to PIT for the deal though.
Nov. 14, 2018 at 2:11 p.m.
Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmm?

Kings, you OK?
Nov. 14, 2018 at 2:48 p.m.
Habs/Pens fan
People on Armchair GMs thought he was worth Maatta. Hope the guy does well, cheaper than Hags. Miss you Hags and your speed.
Missouri liked this.
Nov. 14, 2018 at 3:48 p.m.
Retired V2 V3 GM
Quoting: Hockeylover360
People on Armchair GMs thought he was worth Maatta. Hope the guy does well, cheaper than Hags. Miss you Hags and your speed.

Agreed.

I am happy with the change up as we needed something to happen and now hopefully we can do like we did in 2016, after 1 trade that involved Perron for Hagelin at the time from ANA, we went on a large win streak and won the cup! Can we do it again this year???? We'll see!

Hags will be very much missed for his speedy play and puck abilities that helped us win Back 2 Back Stanley Cups!

But anyways welcome to the team Tanner Pearson!

Pittsburgh Penguins
Hockeylover360 liked this.
Nov. 14, 2018 at 3:56 p.m.
GO PENGUINS GO!
Hags, you will be missed.

But welcome Tanner Pearson!!!
Missouri liked this.
Nov. 14, 2018 at 4:24 p.m.
Habs/Pens fan
Quoting: Missouri
Agreed.

I am happy with the change up as we needed something to happen and now hopefully we can do like we did in 2016, after 1 trade that involved Perron for Hagelin at the time from ANA, we went on a large win streak and won the cup! Can we do it again this year???? We'll see!

Hags will be very much missed for his speedy play and puck abilities that helped us win Back 2 Back Stanley Cups!

But anyways welcome to the team Tanner Pearson!

Pittsburgh Penguins

I know, I'm just glad it was Hags and not like a Rust or a Maatta. Hopefully this shake up is what the Pens need.
Missouri liked this.
Nov. 14, 2018 at 6:18 p.m.
My Balls Itch
going to depend on what la get for hags when they deal him at the deadline. as of now though pens win
Reeds77 liked this.
Nov. 14, 2018 at 6:22 p.m.
Retired V2 V3 GM
Quoting: Hockeylover360
I know, I'm just glad it was Hags and not like a Rust or a Maatta. Hopefully this shake up is what the Pens need.

Ya, Extremely glad it wasn't one of them. Rust and Maata are way better than Hags Imo.
Brian2016 liked this.
Nov. 14, 2018 at 6:25 p.m.
Quoting: palhal
If the Leaf/King game was any indication the maximum value of any Kings player would be about a 4th rounder. Kings/Pens are hoping a change of scenery for both players help. Kings get some cap space for next year which might be their main objective. Certainly Hagelin will help with his speed and PK, although Kings just might be a lottery team this year anyway.

LAK are pretty much throwing in the towel on this season. I wonder what Kovalchuck was thinking when he chose the Kings. He did say he wanted to go somewhere he could win, right?
Nov. 14, 2018 at 6:31 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo

I think this is a cap move by the kings. Frees up Pearson from cap next year and maybe if hagelin can perform they will think about resigning. I don’t think thatvwould be a great idea.
Nov. 14, 2018 at 6:49 p.m.
I'm a Skatman
I see this deal as much worse for the Kings than many suggest here - Hagelin didn't have a good first stint in the pacific. the heavier , possession style game doesn't suit him. he's a North-South player, PKer and secondary scorer at best. his best time in New York was when they were playing true Run'n gun hockey. I've lost count how often his stone hands cost him goals. could've easily had 25-30.read: he's not the kind of guy you can plop on your top line alongside an elite center and expect him to produce. for what he's able to do he was always overpaid. now the pens found a way to move him for someone who CAN be relied upon for that exact purpose while the Kings just piss away an asset (sorry but it has to be said in a crass manner) without even a mid round pick back. poor move
Nov. 14, 2018 at 8:04 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Barathrum_Obama

Barathrum, haven't seen you lately. Hope to read more of your insights.
Barathrum_Obama liked this.
Nov. 14, 2018 at 9:06 p.m.
Quoting: Brian2016
LAK are pretty much throwing in the towel on this season. I wonder what Kovalchuck was thinking when he chose the Kings. He did say he wanted to go somewhere he could win, right?

Likewise, Doughty has said a big reason he decided to go ahead and re-sign was that front office promised no rebuild (see: tank).
Brian2016 liked this.
Nov. 15, 2018 at 1:54 p.m.
Quoting: Bflo_Soldier
Likewise, Doughty has said a big reason he decided to go ahead and re-sign was that front office promised no rebuild (see: tank).

You also have to wonder just how long Willie Desjardins is gonna last in LAK. They've really looked terrible in their last 3 games. I believe they've only scored 3G TOTAL in those 3 games combined.
Nov. 15, 2018 at 2:14 p.m.
Quoting: krakowitz
This is probably the Kings way of saying that they need more speed. Given Hagelin's status as a pending UFA, if the experiment doesn't work, they can flip him at the deadline. It's a decent plan for them, but they still didn't get enough value in this deal. While Hagelin will help out their PK, they need more goals. Hagelin is a huge downgrade from Pearson in that regard, even if Pearson hasn't gotten going yet this year.

LA is probably looking at this as Pearson isn't doing anything for them, so why not bring in someone else to help with the PK and mix things up.

I think this is a salary dump, plain and simple. Pearson was dead weight and Haglin's contract expires at season's end. LAK needs every possible dollar of cap space to pursue a UFA scorer if they plan on rebounding next season. And they pretty much have to go for it. Their salary structure won't really allow them to rebuild as long as they have so many top heavy contracts, Kopitar, Doughty, Phaneuf, Brown, Quick, and Carter, just to name a few on their roster.
Nov. 16, 2018 at 6:30 p.m.
I'm a Skatman

thanks pal. not much stuff requiring input going on lately!
Nov. 16, 2018 at 6:40 p.m.
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Hagelin is a UFA after the year and Pearson is probably the better player. Yes, he's struggling and i understand the move for both teams, both teams are struggling and they have traded players who are struggling this year. However, i don't think it makes a ton of sense for LA. But we'll see how it turns out, it's too early to know.

Clearly this isn't a move that's gonna save the season for LAK. They'll probably just let Haglin go after the season and save the cap space for another UFA. Their problems lie w/ their overpaid underperforming veterans.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit