(ARI / CHI) - Schmaltz for Perlini, Strome

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Nov. 26, 2018 at 8:28 a.m.
exo2769
Edited Nov. 26, 2018 at 8:36 a.m.
Quoting: kaljakori
So you're essentially saying he's the bargain bin version of Marner?

No, I'm saying he probably wants to be paid like Marner, but is having an identity crisis on whether he can center a line or not. The hard part about Schmaltz being a winger is that he doesn't really have a shot. He's an assist guy like a Ribiero.

***EDIT*** I'm excited to see what Dylan Strome can do on a team that actually believes in him. I've said on here for years that Chayka was messing up his development. Erie to Phoenix to Erie to Phoenix to Tuscon to Phoenix. He never got any consistent time with teammates. I get that that's just how things work sometimes, but when you draft him as the #3 overall....You might want help nurture your asset.
Nov. 26, 2018 at 8:50 a.m.
Kyle from Chicago
Strome has three goals and six points and offers glimpses of play-making ability, but he loses too many puck battles, some through a lack of genuine engagement, and at times, he doesn’t speed through the decision-making process fast enough – with or without the puck.

Perlini has just two goals and six points in 22 games this season, well off the 17-goal, 30-point pace he set last season. He had flashes on Sunday. Flashes are not enough.

Craig Morgan Athletic Arizona
Nov. 26, 2018 at 8:56 a.m.
exo2769
Quoting: Stan_Bowman
Strome has three goals and six points and offers glimpses of play-making ability, but he loses too many puck battles, some through a lack of genuine engagement, and at times, he doesn’t speed through the decision-making process fast enough – with or without the puck.

Perlini has just two goals and six points in 22 games this season, well off the 17-goal, 30-point pace he set last season. He had flashes on Sunday. Flashes are not enough.

Craig Morgan Athletic Arizona

How many goals does Schmaltz have in 23 games? 2
Nov. 26, 2018 at 9:53 a.m.
Kyle from Chicago
Quoting: exo2769
How many goals does Schmaltz have in 23 games? 2

Simply stating facts, and showing the two players through an Arizona perspective prior to the trade.
exo2769 liked this.
Nov. 26, 2018 at 10:12 a.m.
Schmaltz = Best player in deal right now. Safe bet to help team start winning right now.
Strome+Perlini = Players who haven't performed well but have tons of potential. Long term hedging. Risky but with high reward.

Chicago isn't winning anytime soon so making a long term bet might be worth it. Arizona needs to start winning now. They're willing to potentially lose some high end skill for players who can win them games now. In this case Chayka still did well since Schmaltz is also young enough to be part of the core and not a savvy vet who will help now but decline in future years.

I like this deal for both teams but if I had to side with one of them, I like what Chicago got more than Arizona. I think all 3 players are for the most part products of their environment. Playing in Arizona sucks and the team has stunk for a while now. See Max Domi. Chicago despite not being a powerhouse anymore, still have the powerhouse players like Toews, Kane, etc. I think they will have a huge impact on Strome and Perlini. Just like it did for Schmaltz.
Nov. 26, 2018 at 10:37 a.m.
Ooooh fun! A (sorta) hockey trade! At first blush it strikes me as fair but when you’re looking ahead I reckon Chicago rushed to pull the trigger on this one as they’re likey going to be big time winners in anywhere from 3 months to 1 years time.

Let’s look at it in draft terms:
Chicago moves up from the 20th to 12th picks from 2014. Oh, and they add the 2015 3rd overall pick. Now, devil’s advocates are saying that Schmaltz has improved more so than these two combined. I find that hard to believe really. And the numbers really do not bear this out.

Schmaltz had 1 good season - 17/18 - when he posted 20g and 50p. This is greater than either player has done thus far. But, let us look at context: Schmaltz has had Kane as a regular linemate. Perlini and Strome, when in Arizona? Max Domi? (Oh wait, I mean 2017 Max Domi). Richard Panik? Christian Dvorak? Even at their peak they are not the type of player like Kane who makes everyone around him better.

This season Perlini and Strome combine for 12 points. Schmaltz has 11 points. Has Strome developed as fast as other 2015 draft mates? No. Has he faltered at any level? No! He has been a 1st/2nd/3rd team All Star and Memorial Cup MVP at the Junior level. Last year he made the AHL all-rookie team & was an All-Star to boot, scoring at > than a PPG. If you look at players who have scored at that clip in the AHL at age 20, you see a host of solid NHL players, most who are at least middle-6 but many who can play a top line role.

Perlini I believe has equal skill and ceiling as Schmaltz, maybe it’s evened up from the draft of 2014 (when Schmaltz was 20, Perlini 12), but the Hawks have basically gotten a future middle-6 centre for nothing.

If this isn’t a win, I don’t know what is.
Nov. 26, 2018 at 10:41 a.m.
Those Strome boys have to be up there for family draft busts don't they?

Ryan Strome - 5th OA in 2011
Dylan Strome - 3rd OA in 2015

Neither have come close to be worth where they were picked.
Nov. 26, 2018 at 7:29 p.m.

I don't care who won this trade.

Chyaka just had to give up his

- 2015 #03 overall pick
- 2014 #12 overall pick

For someone else's

- 2014 #20 overall pick

And it wasn't because Schmaltz is a star.

Chyaka is losing at life.
Nov. 26, 2018 at 10:29 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Quoting: drewjenks

I don't care who won this trade.

Chyaka just had to give up his

- 2015 #03 overall pick
- 2014 #12 overall pick

For someone else's

- 2014 #20 overall pick

And it wasn't because Schmaltz is a star.

Chyaka is losing at life.

Let's rewind a bit and realize that these players weren't drafted by Chayka and that they haven't produced with either Tippet or Tocchet as the coach, even though they've been given every opportunity to thrive. This is him cashing in on what he inherited before their value drops too far low. Yes, on paper it looks awful. But we can't just look at this on paper. There's more too it, and anyone who doesn't see that is downright ignorant.
DoctorBreakfast liked this.
Nov. 26, 2018 at 11:09 p.m.
exo2769
Quoting: krakowitz
Let's rewind a bit and realize that these players weren't drafted by Chayka and that they haven't produced with either Tippet or Tocchet as the coach, even though they've been given every opportunity to thrive. This is him cashing in on what he inherited before their value drops too far low. Yes, on paper it looks awful. But we can't just look at this on paper. There's more too it, and anyone who doesn't see that is downright ignorant.

I think it's fair for you to say these weren't his guys, but when it comes to every last chance and player development, dont you think this is proof he isn't very good at player development? I mean Domi and Duclair are successful in other teams. Crouse is still struggling in AZ. It's not as if stepan, gally, or raanta needed additional seasoning. Other teams did that for him. Thoughts?
Nov. 27, 2018 at 12:30 a.m.
Quoting: Mr_cap
Dude, what? Whos the 1st line RW or 2nd line C here? Lol cuz it aint Schmaltz.

Schmaltz did put up 52 points last season as a 21 year old. He's got the potential to break out in ARI and become an excellent top six Forward. Strome, on the other hand, has shown absolutely zero potential to be a 50+ point player at the NHL level and he's already 21. I don't like this move from CHI's standpoint.
Nov. 27, 2018 at 9:32 a.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Quoting: exo2769
I think it's fair for you to say these weren't his guys, but when it comes to every last chance and player development, dont you think this is proof he isn't very good at player development? I mean Domi and Duclair are successful in other teams. Crouse is still struggling in AZ. It's not as if stepan, gally, or raanta needed additional seasoning. Other teams did that for him. Thoughts?

I think most of the blame for that falls to the coaching staff than it does Chayka. He’s not the one making lines every day or deciding who’s playing and who isn’t playing. Yes, Chayka does have some of the blame for it, but I’d point fingers at the coaching staff before the GM for the way their development has gone.

If we look at the players that Chayka has drafted, Keller is a stud, Chychrun is growing into a top four role, PO is killing it in juniors, and Hayton almost made the team out of camp. I think he’s just a GM who has his specific guys, and if he doesn’t like someone he’ll move them for someone he does like
exo2769 liked this.
Nov. 27, 2018 at 6:01 p.m.
As much as I can't stand Stanny Blowman I'm going to hold my judgement on this one. Its only going to take the rest of this year to determine if they won or lost this one.
My initial reaction is he sold low on Schmaltz, feels 2 players is better than 1, and is taking draft positions into account like so many people do. News flash people, draft position means literally NOTHING a few years after the 18 year olds were drafted. Perlini was the better player when drafted and very clearly isn't anymore. Strome was certainly a much better player at 18 than Schmaltz was. But at 21 it sure seems like Schmaltz is the better player. Its very unlikely the development trend will flip back in Strome's favor.

There is still the chance Strome becomes a solid 2/3C and a 45-50 point player and Perlini continues to be a 15 goal 30 point player or better. In which case I do have to say Chicago wins this. BUUUTT I'm not sure I see Strome becoming a top-6 player. I do see Perlini being a good middle-6 scoring winger throughout his career though.

I also don't picture Schmaltz being a real difference maker on any team. He is baby **** soft and lazy. He'll probably continue to be a 50-60 point guy but never someone who wins you close games or any playoff games.
Feb. 12, 2019 at 2:17 p.m.
Kyle from Chicago
Quoting: Sidstick87
Arizona - always good to buy low on a slumping player , Schmaltz a 1st line RW or 2nd line C... Good for you
Chicago - Just entered the Jack Hughes sweepstakes - a good 4th line LWer and a slow 4th line Center ... yikes

lol this aged well.
exo2769 and HabsForEver liked this.
Feb. 12, 2019 at 2:25 p.m.
exo2769
lol this aged well.

Hahaha, Strome has 30 points in 32 games while playing the #2C. Awesome Bowman trade
HabsForEver liked this.
Feb. 12, 2019 at 6:16 p.m.
Hockey God Genius
lol this aged well.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut , huh ?? Guess its easy to say when the other guy is hurt ?
exo2769 liked this.
Feb. 12, 2019 at 6:24 p.m.
exo2769
Quoting: Sidstick87
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut , huh ?? Guess its easy to say when the other guy is hurt ?

I was wrong (much more wrong too!) about Erik Karlsson years ago...guy sucks right??? haha
Feb. 13, 2019 at 12:13 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
The biggest thing for the Coyotes is that they are getting a sure thing with Schmaltz. Neither Perlini or Strome has come close to living up to expectations, and I don’t think they ever would in Arizona. If one or both of them breaks out in a Chicago, then they’re a winner. But I think we have to look at this as the Coyotes getting an upgrade over what they have, because neither player was going to thrive with them.

I stand by this statement, even though Schmaltz is banged up. Strome was thrown into a great situation in Chicago. He's gotten to play with familiarity in Debrincat and one of the best players in the world in Kane. The Coyotes don't have that type of talent to surround him with. Schmaltz on the other hand fits what they're trying to do more, and he was fitting in remarkably well before he went down.
Feb. 13, 2019 at 12:31 p.m.
exo2769
I stand by this statement, even though Schmaltz is banged up. Strome was thrown into a great situation in Chicago. He's gotten to play with familiarity in Debrincat and one of the best players in the world in Kane. The Coyotes don't have that type of talent to surround him with. Schmaltz on the other hand fits what they're trying to do more, and he was fitting in remarkably well before he went down.

Except Strome doesn't really play with Kane. During this past 7 game with streak, Kane's been with Toews and Strome with Debrincat/Kahun. WITH Strome/Debrincat/Kahun getting the #1 line last night...Toews/Kane/Drake the #2. Albeit mostly for match up purposes. I mean, Debrincat is good, but so is Keller. I do however agree with the Schmaltz comment. He was great there too until he got injured.
Oct. 18, 2019 at 4:37 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
A healthy Nick Schmaltz to start the year has been huge for the Coyotes. There's a clear vision for how Chayka and Tocchet want this team to play, and Chayka has moved out a lot of the guys who he didn't personally acquire to get that. Schmaltz is a great fit playing either center or wing for the Yotes and he's been very productive offensively to start. Strome was never going to do that in Arizona. Both teams are happy with this deal
DragonRaptorHybrid liked this.
Oct. 18, 2019 at 4:48 p.m.
Sensible Commentary
A healthy Nick Schmaltz to start the year has been huge for the Coyotes. There's a clear vision for how Chayka and Tocchet want this team to play, and Chayka has moved out a lot of the guys who he didn't personally acquire to get that. Schmaltz is a great fit playing either center or wing for the Yotes and he's been very productive offensively to start. Strome was never going to do that in Arizona. Both teams are happy with this deal
indeed. he had a slow start, but Tocchet said he was shaking off the rust, and he appears to have shaken it off pretty quickly.

I also like that things are starting to fall into place for the Coyotes: the power play, Tocchet's system, getting shots on goal, etc. yesterday's game against the Preds was great in terms of the Coyotes continuing to put shots on goal, even after being up in goals.
Nov. 15, 2022 at 9:07 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Quoting: hawksfan881965
Perlini, toews, kane
Saad, Strome, debrincat
Potential is there for a well rounded top 6. Not this year but down the road... all about the word potential

That aged well
Saskleaf and RawDeal liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit