SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(TOR / CGY) - Klimchuk for Nielsen

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Nov. 27, 2018 at 10:06 p.m.
A trade between Toronto Maple Leafs and Calgary Flames has been confirmed.
Trade Details
Calgary Flames Acquire:
Logo of the Calgary Flames
Andrew Nielsen · $0$697,500$70,000 (AHL/JR)
Sum: $0$697,500$70,000
Change: -$700,000
Change: -$2,500
Change: -$630,000
Toronto Maple Leafs Acquire:
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
Morgan Klimchuk · $700,000$700,000$700,000
Sum: $700,000$700,000$700,000
Change: +$700,000
Change: +$2,500
Change: +$630,000
Nov. 27, 2018 at 10:24 p.m.
Change of scenery trade for 2 players who were highly regarded by their franchises at one time but had been basically been given up on at this point.

After a solid rookie campaign, Nielsen had fallen out of favour amongst Marlies coaching staff. He has played just twice since October 19 and, in the organization, was no longer considered a viable prospect for the Leafs long-term.

As a Marlies watcher this trade is not surprising and, given Nielsen’s play (and lack of it), this is a better return than I could have expected. Nielsen was maligned by Marlies fans when he did play for his slow play and questionable decision making. While I haven’t seen Klimchuk play (Stockton & Toronto never play one another unfortunately), he seems like a viable AHL’er at the minimum having posted 19 goals and 40 points the past 2 seasons. I haven’t a clue if there is a next level or if this is his ceiling but anything is better than Nielsen at this point.
JakeD liked this.
Nov. 27, 2018 at 10:45 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: rebecca
Change of scenery trade for 2 players who were highly regarded by their franchises at one time but had been basically been given up on at this point.

After a solid rookie campaign, Nielsen had fallen out of favour amongst Marlies coaching staff. He has played just twice since October 19 and, in the organization, was no longer considered a viable prospect for the Leafs long-term.

As a Marlies watcher this trade is not surprising and, given Nielsen’s play (and lack of it), this is a better return than I could have expected. Nielsen was maligned by Marlies fans when he did play for his slow play and questionable decision making. While I haven’t seen Klimchuk play (Stockton & Toronto never play one another unfortunately), he seems like a viable AHL’er at the minimum having posted 19 goals and 40 points the past 2 seasons. I haven’t a clue if there is a next level or if this is his ceiling but anything is better than Nielsen at this point.

Looks more like a marlies move... making room for Holl to go down.
Nov. 28, 2018 at 1:41 a.m.
Quoting: Jamiepo
Looks more like a marlies move... making room for Holl to go down.

Perhaps that’s a factor. Regardless, Nielsen wasn’t getting ice time. Marlies have a decent if underperforming defence group of, most games these days comprised of:
Rosen-Liljegren
Sandin-LoVerde
Borgman-Subban

I really doubt that Holl or Marincin will be send down if they haven’t already. For whatever reason Babcock must want to have 8 D on the NHL roster. Many have been critical of his lack of use of Holl, in particular, and that Hainsey and Ozhiganov could sit the occasional game to keep them fresher for playoffs letting Holl sub in.
JakeD liked this.
Nov. 28, 2018 at 10:36 a.m.
Crazy
thoght this was the nylander trade :P just saw toronto logo

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit