SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Toronto Maple Leafs signed William Nylander (6 Years / $6,962,366 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Dec. 2, 2018 at 3:20 p.m.
Quoting: Brian2016
I don't doubt what you're saying for a moment. All three should be solid NHL players. But the NHL playoffs are a totally different ballgame. The physicality is ramped up big time and the speed is far far greater than even regular season NHL games. It's a big step to take. Clearly, Dubas is counting on a young D-corps on entry-level contracts to balance out the ridiculously disproportionate amount of cap space being spent on his top six Forward group, plus Kadri at $4.5M AAV. I'm definitely curious about what Dubas plans to do w/ Kapanen though. He could expect $4M AAV and I don't see that in the cards for the Leafs given their cap situation. He could be a. valuable asset for a trade though. To say the Leafs have an embarrassment of riches is an understatement.

I'm not buying the "ramped up physicality" anymore. Speed and intensity, sure. Look at the Penguins, did that team win b2b with physicality?

Also, before you say "but Caps", yes, they have physical guys, but that's not what won them the cup. It was their high-end talent, Tampa completely choking and Vegas running out of gas in the finals. I give the Knights full credit, they did something historical, but also at the same time, Caps lose that final if anyone else of the final 4 comes out of the West.
Dec. 2, 2018 at 3:56 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Clubkid75
I bet you a loonie that Nylander gets injured the first game back and misses three months

Well then the Leafs get cap reliefsmile
Dec. 2, 2018 at 4:08 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Brian2016
Lou had to give Marleau 3 year’s instead of two. A total lack of foresight on his part considering everyone knew the Leafs had 3 young star RFA’s all within a year of each other.

I wish someone would please explain to me how TOR possibly intends to keep all 3. Matthews and Marner are gonna ask north of $20M combined. That’s a minimum of $45M for just 5 Forwards.

It just might not be possible. But that isn't really the issue. The Leafs signed him to a fair contract and have the ability to trade him. Th structure of the contract have the Leafs paying over 30m by next summer. For the next five years the cap is almost 7m but the yearly $$$ money payout is just 6.140m It's a trade friendly contract.

If a team has their players signed to reasonable contract (including Matthews and Marner) that's all a GM can do. If it's over the cap, then a player can be traded. Heck of a lot better than having waste cap on bad value contracts, retained contracts or buy outs.
Brian2016 liked this.
Dec. 2, 2018 at 5:12 p.m.
Quoting: palhal
It just might not be possible. But that isn't really the issue. The Leafs signed him to a fair contract and have the ability to trade him. Th structure of the contract have the Leafs paying over 30m by next summer. For the next five years the cap is almost 7m but the yearly $$$ money payout is just 6.140m It's a trade friendly contract.

If a team has their players signed to reasonable contract (including Matthews and Marner) that's all a GM can do. If it's over the cap, then a player can be traded. Heck of a lot better than having waste cap on bad value contracts, retained contracts or buy outs.

That's why I agreed with the Nylander contract. He's 22 years old and has great potential. 35+ year old UFA's are high risk contracts that rarely work out for the entire term of the deal. That's why SJS keeps giving Jumbo one year deals at a time lol. Ask LAK if they'd still offer Kovalchuck that monster deal?
palhal liked this.
Dec. 2, 2018 at 5:13 p.m.

There'll be a dozen or more teams lined up to trade for Nylander if he were too become available.
Dec. 2, 2018 at 5:21 p.m.
Yeah, they now need to trade him or Marleau to even have an inkling of a shot of signing Marner, Matthews, Kapanen, and Johnsson. Someone needs to give Dubas a math lesson.
Dec. 2, 2018 at 8:02 p.m.
Quoting: Hedman77
i love how when you can't continue the argument, you try to change the subject.basically par for the course dealing with you lol

Your original comment on this thread = “All of our problems on defense are solved now, we have Nylander”

The Leafs have the 3rd least goals against in the NHL.

My original response to your comment = "All of our problems in game 7's are solved now, we have Stamkos"

Stamkos still has zero points in playoff game sevens.

Was I rude? Yes. Were you rude first? Yes. But there's no argument here to carry on.
You're a Tampa fan on Leaf thread providing unrelated criticism (without fact checking). Me (correctly) calling you salty is a fair end to the convo.
Dec. 2, 2018 at 8:23 p.m.
Log off the internet
Quoting: drewjenks
Your original comment on this thread = “All of our problems on defense are solved now, we have Nylander”

The Leafs have the 3rd least goals against in the NHL.

My original response to your comment = "All of our problems in game 7's are solved now, we have Stamkos"

Stamkos still has zero points in playoff game sevens.

Was I rude? Yes. Were you rude first? Yes. But there's no argument here to carry on.
You're a Tampa fan on Leaf thread providing unrelated criticism (without fact checking). Me (correctly) calling you salty is a fair end to the convo.

Correlation vs causation. Leafs are actually 5th lowest, not 3rd.
I guess Arizona has the third best blue line in the league.

And Toronto’s supposedly is better than Minnesota, Winnipeg, Tampa, San Jose, St. Louis, Calgary.. just because they have fewer goals allowed?
That’s like saying Ottawa has the 2nd best offense in the league because they’re 2nd in goals-for
Dec. 2, 2018 at 8:45 p.m.
Correlation vs causation. Leafs are actually 5th lowest, not 3rd.
I guess Arizona has the third best blue line in the league.

And Toronto’s supposedly is better than Minnesota, Winnipeg, Tampa, San Jose, St. Louis, Calgary.. just because they have fewer goals allowed?
That’s like saying Ottawa has the 2nd best offense in the league because they’re 2nd in goals-for

Great. Please point me to all the defensive problems we've been experiencing this year.
And tell my why starting this conversation on a Nylander signing thread does not make you salty.
Dec. 2, 2018 at 8:50 p.m.
Log off the internet
Quoting: drewjenks
Great. Please point me to all the defensive problems we've been experiencing this year.
And tell my why starting this conversation on a Nylander signing thread does not make you salty.

Ron Hainsey on the first pair.

Because I’m not angry or jealous that they signed Nylander. Leaf fans always overreact to good news and I’m just watching now before the cap crunch comes. If it took this long to sign Nylander, have fun with Marner
Dec. 2, 2018 at 9:48 p.m.
CGM
It was always going to take this long to sign Nylander simply because of the rule that allows you to get more of the cap hit in the first year of the contract.

As the Leafs do not have cap room to use next year and its Matthews and Marner as opposed to Nylander I don't seeing it be so drawn out.

Now the Marleau deal I never liked but hope there is some agreement behind the scenes that he can be traded next season and that it was structured in this way so he could get his money with a reasonable cap hit.

Now lets talk about finding a way so that Tampa can't artifically get extra cap because of the tax situation.
Dec. 3, 2018 at 11:51 a.m.
Below Market Value

I'd argue that Andersen sporting a .930+ SV% is the reason they're so high on that list. They still allow the 6th most shots per game, which is definitely an indictment on their defense.
Dec. 3, 2018 at 1:56 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Edited Jan. 19, 2019 at 6:08 p.m.
Ron Hainsey on the first pair.

Because I’m not angry or jealous that they signed Nylander. Leaf fans always overreact to good news and I’m just watching now before the cap crunch comes. If it took this long to sign Nylander, have fun with Marner

What is all this talk about "first pair'. Never understood it. Reilly is almost exclusively the Dman on the PP. So, Hainsey doesn't play Reilly all the time. Gardiner rarely kills penalties, so Hainsey is often is the LHD on the PK So I don't understand, the talk about "first pair" Hainsey? Of course, I don't think anyone really knows what "first pair" means anyways.
Dec. 3, 2018 at 1:59 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: DoctorBreakfast
I'd argue that Andersen sporting a .930+ SV% is the reason they're so high on that list. They still allow the 6th most shots per game, which is definitely an indictment on their defense.

J'd argue that in 18 games last year, Mcillerney had a better GAA and Save % than Andersen. So did the Leaf goalies bail out the Leafs defencmen for 82 games? Now that would be a miracle.
Dec. 3, 2018 at 3:50 p.m.
Below Market Value
J'd argue that in 18 games last year, Mcillerney had a better GAA and Save % than Andersen. So did the Leaf goalies bail out the Leafs defencmen for 82 games? Now that would be a miracle.

Well if you wanna talk about last season, Toronto gave up the 4th most shots per game and the 5th most 5v5 shot attempts, while having the 5th best SV%. So yes, I suppose you could say that their goaltending did bail them out quite a bit, and that their goaltending has more to do with their success than their ability to defend.
Dec. 3, 2018 at 4:08 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Well if you wanna talk about last season, Toronto gave up the 4th most shots per game and the 5th most 5v5 shot attempts, while having the 5th best SV%. So yes, I suppose you could say that their goaltending did bail them out quite a bit, and that their goaltending has more to do with their success than their ability to defend.

Leaf allow less than 2 shots a game more than first place Washington and Tampa and their highly paid defence. So I guess it's those teams goaltending has more to do with their success than their ability to defend.
Dec. 3, 2018 at 4:32 p.m.
Below Market Value
Leaf allow less than 2 shots a game more than first place Washington and Tampa and their highly paid defence. So I guess it's those teams goaltending has more to do with their success than their ability to defend.

It's okay to admit that the Leafs' defense isn't great, because it's not; at least not at defending, and some of that burden can be shouldered on to the forwards as well. They're among the league leaders in shot attempts against, shots against, scoring chances against, and high danger chances against. Among teams such as Ottawa, Chicago, Vancouver, and Anaheim. You know what the difference is between Toronto and those teams? Toronto has both one of the top offenses in the league and an elite-performing goaltender duo. They're also 2nd overall in the league right now and are likely a Cup contender. Just enjoy the fact that they are performing at such a high level and don't get so upset when someone points out the fact that the Leafs aren't great at defending, outside of their goaltending.
Dec. 3, 2018 at 4:53 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
It's okay to admit that the Leafs' defense isn't great, because it's not; at least not at defending, and some of that burden can be shouldered on to the forwards as well. They're among the league leaders in shot attempts against, shots against, scoring chances against, and high danger chances against. Among teams such as Ottawa, Chicago, Vancouver, and Anaheim. You know what the difference is between Toronto and those teams? Toronto has both one of the top offenses in the league and an elite-performing goaltender duo. They're also 2nd overall in the league right now and are likely a Cup contender. Just enjoy the fact that they are performing at such a high level and don't get so upset when someone points out the fact that the Leafs aren't great at defending, outside of their goaltending.

I'm just pointing out that other premier teams have the same defensive stats, but somehow those teams get a pass on being OK to good defensively mostly because they have some "name and expensive Dmen"
Dec. 8, 2018 at 11:32 a.m.
Quoting: Clubkid75
I bet you a loonie that Nylander gets injured the first game back and misses three months

Where is my loonie?
Dec. 8, 2018 at 4:28 p.m.
Quoting: iilucassxx
Where is my loonie?

Give it a couple of days, the whiplash from his recent car accident will show up yet
Jan. 16, 2019 at 11:55 p.m.
So whiplash is to blame still?
Jan. 19, 2019 at 6:10 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: PrisonBull
So whiplash is to blame still?

His play after six weeks.....I kinda wish the car accident had been more seriousConfused
Jan. 28, 2019 at 2:36 p.m.
WentWughes
His play after six weeks.....I kinda wish the car accident had been more seriousConfused

That's ****ed up
Mar. 5, 2019 at 4:56 p.m.
Edited Mar. 8, 2019 at 8:51 a.m.
This signing has aged well thus far.
May 9, 2019 at 1:40 p.m.

speaking of Game 7s, when can Toronto beat Boston?

Hey, at least we got to play a game 7. Unlike a certain other team.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit