Forums/Armchair-GM

Tom Wilsons victims and my opinion on every hit

Created by: STLBlues17
Team: 2018-19 Custom Team
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 1, 2018
Published: Dec. 1, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Schenn: This one was alright, Schenn put himself in an awful position but Jesus Christ did Wilson come in hot.

Marchessault: interference but nothing else

Blais: Egregiously late boarding penalty and in the first game back from pre-season suspension. Definitely deserved 4 games.

Seney: this is one where you usually give the benefit of the doubt to the player, but not for Wilson. He knew what he was doing

Wennberg: way high and on an ususpecting player. It’s charging but probably not suspendable.

Sundqvist: Legitimately one of the worst hockey hits I’ve ever seen. I watched it live and thought Sundqvist might be dead or had his career ended. He had time and space to deliver a hard and clean check but he decided to try to turn Sundqvist’s brain to mush. Good on the NHL for this suspension.

Cogliano: late and on the head, but probably not suspension worthy

ZAR: He broke his jaw and it was definitely worthy of suspension, but ZAR was in a bad spot

Sherry: Awful interference/kneeing away from the play. Good thing Sherry didn’t get hurt.

Zadorov: clean

Robert Thomas: high, late, and he went out of his way to hit an 18 year old rookie in the pre-season but he shouldn’t have gotten suspended for it.

Campbell: viscous boarding play. It’s a miracle he wasn’t suspended for this
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
13$79,500,000$32,474,999$0$95,000$47,025,001
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the St. Louis Blues
$673,333$673,333 (Performance Bonus$2,500$2K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$5,125,000$5,125,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$757,500$757,500 (Performance Bonus$92,500$92K)
C, LW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
$4,900,000$4,900,000
C
UFA - 5
Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 6
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$894,166$894,166
C, RW
UFA - 3
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
UFA - 5
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$2,150,000$2,150,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
Campbell, Brian
$1,000,000$1,000,000

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 1, 2018 at 7:20 p.m.
Banned
Crazy how people can defend a guy when you can almost make a complete team out of the people who he hurt or laid a cheap shot
Hedman77 liked this.
Dec. 1, 2018 at 7:23 p.m.
Sam
Quoting: hockeyfanatic05
Crazy how people can defend a guy when you can almost make a complete team out of the people who he hurt or laid a cheap shot

Yeah, so many of his hits are hits that you could easily defend if a normal player did it, but you can’t defend it when one player does it so much.
hockeyfanatic05 liked this.
Dec. 1, 2018 at 7:24 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: STLBlues17
Yeah, so many of his hits are hits that you could easily defend if a normal player did it, but you can’t defend it when one player does it so much.

Give it a few more weeks. There will be a complete team cause Wilson will never learn
Dec. 1, 2018 at 8:05 p.m.
Caps fan idk why
Hahaha oh my. Obsessed much?
Dec. 1, 2018 at 8:10 p.m.
Sam
Quoting: Capitalfail67
Hahaha oh my. Obsessed much?

I like Wilson’s game, I’m just trying to give an unbiased opinion on him
Hedman77 and TJTwolf liked this.
Dec. 1, 2018 at 8:28 p.m.
Caps fan idk why
I like Wilson’s game, I’m just trying to give an unbiased opinion on him

I also didn’t mean to come off as a dick but at this point it’s like beating a dead horse. We all know he has a bad history and he’s also been punished for it. Depending on your stance too lights or too heavy but last night was blown way out of proportion. But again at this point it’s just getting old.

I would love to see one of these for Marchand or Kadri? Either way that’s just where I stand on this.
Dec. 1, 2018 at 8:31 p.m.
Sam
I also didn’t mean to come off as a dick but at this point it’s like beating a dead horse. We all know he has a bad history and he’s also been punished for it. Depending on your stance too lights or too heavy but last night was blown way out of proportion. But again at this point it’s just getting old.

I would love to see one of these for Marchand or Kadri? Either way that’s just where I stand on this.

I kind of agree with you. The NHL used the Wilson hit to completely ignore Erik Johnson delivering a way late, retaliatory, headshot to a player that had just came back from a concussion.
Dec. 1, 2018 at 8:33 p.m.
Log off the internet

marchand should have his own i agree
Capitalfail67 and TJTwolf liked this.
Dec. 1, 2018 at 8:35 p.m.
Caps fan idk why
I kind of agree with you. The NHL used the Wilson hit to completely ignore Erik Johnson delivering a way late, retaliatory, headshot to a player that had just came back from a concussion.

I mean every headline had the guy laying on the ground like he was dead..... he played the next shift.

Did ej get suspended. Also reeves hit from behind made Wilson’s look like a pillow fight
Dec. 1, 2018 at 8:36 p.m.
Caps fan idk why
Quoting: Hedman77
marchand should have his own i agree

Injuries and licks/kissing. He’s a dirt bag ha
Dec. 1, 2018 at 10:17 p.m.
Who adds what?
Here's a video of the Blues kicking a goalie while he's down, elbowing two skilled players in their faces, punching rookies, and otherwise making a mockery of the idea of a preseason hockey game: https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/capitals/robert-bortuzzo-will-have-hearing-high-hit-michal-kempny

Human reaciton time is two seconds, according to traffic studies. If you watch the video of Wilson hitting Sundqvist the game after Bortuzzo elbowed Wilson and Kempny each in their faces, each at full speed, you can pause one second before the hit, and you can see that Wilson is lining up a clean, shoulder-to-shoulder check. Then Sundqvist tries to get a shot off rather than lose the puck, he falls over to his right, and he put his face in the way of Wilson's shoulder, without sufficient time to react. The result is also like a car accident, and it's really sad that it happened, but using something that Wilson did not physically or neurologically have time to react to as evidence to look at a more recent play that meets the criterion for an interference minor and call for a suspension based on your imaginings of Wilson's intent to injure? That's ridiculous.

Complaining that Wilson hit hard in the preseason after Bortuzzo elbowed WIlson and Kempny in the face in the preseason is ridiculous. You're being a homer.
Dec. 1, 2018 at 11:22 p.m.
Don’t forget visnovsky in the playoffs
Dec. 1, 2018 at 11:38 p.m.
Sam
Quoting: tankbarzal
Don’t forget visnovsky in the playoffs

That was a charge, but I don’t think it was head-contact
Dec. 2, 2018 at 5:39 p.m.
I'm going to disagree with you all night long on the Steen/MacK/EJ thing and you can call me biased all you like, I'd just throw it back at you so we may as well leave that one alone.

Marchand I can't stand, he's a dick and licking someone's face, especially with his pre-history is one of the grossest pieces of unsportsmanlike conduct I've seen.

As for Wilson. I like his game when he plays it right. He seems to have rushes of blood to the head far too often or certainly did when he was younger, and he often suffers for it now because of the precedent. If a ref sees a borderline call it's almost always going to go against him. Sometimes, in a game where hitting is a part of it, then there are going to be bad hits where a player gets it wrong or timing is a split second late. As said above we're in danger of throwing out the baby with the bath water. I'm not saying I have the answers either. Wilson IS a repeat offender but I don't like a guy necessarily getting calls go against him because of who he is. That said, sometimes you reap what you sow.
Dec. 2, 2018 at 5:39 p.m.
I mean every headline had the guy laying on the ground like he was dead..... he played the next shift.

Did ej get suspended. Also reeves hit from behind made Wilson’s look like a pillow fight

No EJ hasn't been suspended.
Capitalfail67 liked this.
Dec. 2, 2018 at 5:45 p.m.
Sam
Quoting: TJTwolf
I'm going to disagree with you all night long on the Steen/MacK/EJ thing and you can call me biased all you like, I'd just throw it back at you so we may as well leave that one alone.

Marchand I can't stand, he's a dick and licking someone's face, especially with his pre-history is one of the grossest pieces of unsportsmanlike conduct I've seen.

As for Wilson. I like his game when he plays it right. He seems to have rushes of blood to the head far too often or certainly did when he was younger, and he often suffers for it now because of the precedent. If a ref sees a borderline call it's almost always going to go against him. Sometimes, in a game where hitting is a part of it, then there are going to be bad hits where a player gets it wrong or timing is a split second late. As said above we're in danger of throwing out the baby with the bath water. I'm not saying I have the answers either. Wilson IS a repeat offender but I don't like a guy necessarily getting calls go against him because of who he is. That said, sometimes you reap what you sow.

I can kind of understand how Steen's hit was unavoidable, but the fact that it happened right after a hit on MacKinnon and the fact that it’s also late makes me think that the intention was there. Maybe I’m just biased because of my hatred of golf-kart boy, but I’m also a ref in real life and I think that was suspension worthy.
TJTwolf liked this.
Dec. 2, 2018 at 5:54 p.m.
I can kind of understand how Steen's hit was unavoidable, but the fact that it happened right after a hit on MacKinnon and the fact that it’s also late makes me think that the intention was there. Maybe I’m just biased because of my hatred of golf-kart boy, but I’m also a ref in real life and I think that was suspension worthy.

As I say we'll have to agree to disagree and regardless of being a ref, the NHL doesn't agree. I'd forgotten the ex-STL factor as well lol.
STLBlues17 liked this.
Dec. 2, 2018 at 6:01 p.m.
Sam
As I say we'll have to agree to disagree and regardless of being a ref, the NHL doesn't agree. I'd forgotten the ex-STL factor as well lol.

Golf-kart boy has no track record so I guess I’ll agree with the NHL and give him the benefit of the doubt but If this was Wilson it would have to be atleast 20 games.
Capitalfail67 and TJTwolf liked this.
Dec. 2, 2018 at 6:41 p.m.
Golf-kart boy has no track record so I guess I’ll agree with the NHL and give him the benefit of the doubt but If this was Wilson it would have to be atleast 20 games.

LMAO, yeah the intent is possibly more likely there with Wilson.
Dec. 2, 2018 at 7:09 p.m.
Edited Dec. 2, 2018 at 7:14 p.m.

I should add that I agree EJ intended to hit Steen in a retaliatory fashion for the hit on MacK but I certainly don't think there was any intent to injure and the elbow was pretty much tucked in (or as much as it could have been). It was intended to be a clean hard retaliatory hit to let him know if you're going to dish it out to someone you're going to get it back. I would probably have called a 2 for interference as it was a bit late. I am also not in favour of guys going and deliberately chasing down players who deliver a clean hit to a star player, that's just the nature of the game. Even a star gets hit hard sometimes. Lining them up for a big hit after is fine. You should expect that to be coming as it's the nature of the beast, and again, it's part of the game. Steen's hit on Mack was pretty much clean (some are saying he left his feet but I think that was more on impact) and a 'doozy'. If it's a bad hit by all means go after the guy, if not then make sure you plant him on his ass later hard and fair which is what I believe EJ was trying to do. It doesn't appear to be in his nature to intend to injure, and as you said, no history. I liked how Cole stuck up for Jost the other night when Dunn was in his face, that kind of thing is fair enough to my mind. Nice to be able to have sensible discourse about it though.
STLBlues17 liked this.
Dec. 2, 2018 at 7:20 p.m.
Sam
I should add that I agree EJ intended to hit Steen in a retaliatory fashion for the hit on MacK but I certainly don't think there was any intent to injure and the elbow was pretty much tucked in (or as much as it could have been). It was intended to be a clean hard retaliatory hit to let him know if you're going to dish it out to someone you're going to get it back. I would probably have called a 2 for interference as it was a bit late. I am also not in favour of guys going and deliberately chasing down players who deliver a clean hit to a star player, that's just the nature of the game. Even a star gets hit hard sometimes. Lining them up for a big hit after is fine. You should expect that to be coming as it's the nature of the beast, and again, it's part of the game. Steen's hit on Mack was pretty much clean (some are saying he left his feet but I think that was more on impact) and a 'doozy'. If it's a bad hit by all means go after the guy, if not then make sure you plant him on his ass later hard and fair which is what I believe EJ was trying to do. It doesn't appear to be in his nature to intend to injure, and as you said, no history. I liked how Cole stuck up for Jost the other night when Dunn was in his face, that kind of thing is fair enough to my mind. Nice to be able to have sensible discourse about it though.

I don’t know why the called it elbowing lol, but yeah he definitely clocked him in the head. I think the NHL nailed this one. Definitely should have gotten a major, but also shouldn’t have been suspended.
TJTwolf liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll