SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Remember the days when it didnt cost your first born to acquire a defenceman

Dec. 6, 2018 at 2:25 p.m.
its in the game
less than stellar prospects and non lottery draft pics are typically only good for rental players.
Dec. 6, 2018 at 2:27 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: LoganOllivier
The Leafs have a top D man in Rielly. They don't desperately need one. They need an upgrade over Hainsey, someone who can actually keep up with the speed of the game. I have no thirst for guys like Parayko, Pietrangelo or Brett Pesce. Those guys will cost WAYYYYY more than they are worth and I refuse to overpay when a more cost effective route could be taken. I'd honestly rather trade for Connor Carrick than give up a kings ransom for a "2 or 3" defenceman (which is a ridiculously vague classification) So what could the Leafs acquire at the deadline who would be an upgrade over Hainsey?

you actually do desperately need one cause if you into the playoffs with Odoginov as a top 4 guy have fun losing to Boston again kid
Dec. 6, 2018 at 2:40 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Eli
If you just want a guy with good plus minus, rain or shine.... Brown and Marincin should get you Michal Kempny. He's +12 this year, playing 19 minutes a night, with two goals and six points. Boring, I know. But last year he was +10 on the Blackhawks, and Duncan Keith was -29. Kempny played tougher zone starts than Keith. But between Siegenthaler, Djoos, and Marincin, I think the Caps could replace his minutes, and adding Brown's scoring touch would be neat.*

*plus, a lot of people don't know this, but he and Burakovsky were teammates in juniors!

This is the kind of move I am talking about. Of course all the trolls on here suggesting I am insane because I apparently want a top pair elite defenceman for a bag of pucks still won't understand what the point of this is but thanks for the input! You are a thoughtful contributor and that is always welcome to see!
Eli liked this.
Dec. 6, 2018 at 2:41 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: wojme
brent seabrook

Chicago is going to have to pay someone to take Seabrook. If you have no intentions of providing meaningful feedback, just keep quiet, I really don't care to hear any more trolling.
Dec. 6, 2018 at 2:42 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: S1LV3R
Why not just play Dermott with Reilly, and Hainsey with Oz?

Because Babs is Babs. I am not sure Dermott is quit ready for top line minutes but he definitely wouldn't be worse than Hainsey.
Dec. 6, 2018 at 2:44 p.m.
Chicago is going to have to pay someone to take Seabrook. If you have no intentions of providing meaningful feedback, just keep quiet, I really don't care to hear any more trolling.

Not trolling just being honest. That's the type of dman you are going to get without top prospects or futures. Maybe a guy like marco scandella, but not him because no rivalry trades.
Dec. 6, 2018 at 2:46 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Hedman77
I’m not arguing, I’m just doing your work for you: by calling everyone who disagrees a troll

You are not going to do my work for me? What are you even talking about, asking for input from other hockey fans is the point here. Your input, "no, it'll never happen, all Leaf fans are stupid for suggesting crazy trades, I am not a troll." Umm I didn't propose a trade here, I gave a list of assets and asked what others think the package could bring back. "I am not arguing, but you are wrong and all Leaf fans are stupid, I am not doing your work for you, I am not a troll but I am going to go post a AGM where the Leafs get every teams best player for a 7th round pick because that isn't remotely close to anything that is coming from this post but I am not a troll and there is no point to anything except trolling people."
Dec. 6, 2018 at 2:48 p.m.
Log off the internet
You are not going to do my work for me? What are you even talking about, asking for input from other hockey fans is the point here. Your input, "no, it'll never happen, all Leaf fans are stupid for suggesting crazy trades, I am not a troll." Umm I didn't propose a trade here, I gave a list of assets and asked what others think the package could bring back. "I am not arguing, but you are wrong and all Leaf fans are stupid, I am not doing your work for you, I am not a troll but I am going to go post a AGM where the Leafs get every teams best player for a 7th round pick because that isn't remotely close to anything that is coming from this post but I am not a troll and there is no point to anything except trolling people."

I can’t even read that last sentence.

I don’t think all leaf fans are stupid, just you.
Dec. 6, 2018 at 2:49 p.m.
I'd be relatively happy if the Wild traded Spurgeon for Kapanen + a pick. I don't think Spurgeon is part of our long term plan given that our deepest prospect position is RD and he'd be a huge addition for Toronto.
Dec. 6, 2018 at 2:49 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Jerdog666
less than stellar prospects and non lottery draft pics are typically only good for rental players.

Sure, what decent rental options are available then?
Dec. 6, 2018 at 2:52 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: IAMAHOCKEYPLAYER69
you actually do desperately need one cause if you into the playoffs with Odoginov as a top 4 guy have fun losing to Boston again kid

Ozhiganov isn't playing top 4, he's on the bottom pair. And the team that is right near the top of the league in Goals against doesn't desperately need a top defenseman. Again they already have one in Reilly, they need a better partner for him. A rental player would be fine, what's available in the rental market? If you are going to just jump back in here saying Nylander, Liljegren, Sandin, Marner and Matthews for Brett Pesce, just don't. Just go find a bridge and troll others.
Dec. 6, 2018 at 2:52 p.m.
Molson beer is meh
Point is simple. You gotta give something to get something. The “I’ll send average things to get a better things” is a ACGM exclusive.
Dec. 6, 2018 at 2:54 p.m.
Banned
Not trolling just being honest. That's the type of dman you are going to get without top prospects or futures. Maybe a guy like marco scandella, but not him because no rivalry trades.

So the options for TO are to massively overpay for a top 4 defenceman to play with Rielly, or a declining asset who has one of the worst contracts in the entire game. You really left no rock unturned on this one. Thanks for the input tips.
Dec. 6, 2018 at 2:56 p.m.
So the options for TO are to massively overpay for a top 4 defenceman to play with Rielly, or a declining asset who has one of the worst contracts in the entire game. You really left no rock unturned on this one. Thanks for the input tips.

Your options are to pay the correct price for a stud or pay the low price for low value
Dec. 6, 2018 at 2:57 p.m.
At this point, as others have mentioned, you can't upgrade the Defense without downgrading the Forwards.
The Leafs cap situation is also a problem unless you're looking for a rental.
Look at it this way, nobody wants to give up a good RHD, and if they do, the Leafs probably don't want that player for the same reason their team is willing to move them (defensive issues, cap hit, etc.)
I'd rather see the Leafs go the Dermott route and wait for one of our prospects to establish themselves (Lil'green).
If they do make a trade for an RHD, it's probably for Playoff Depth.

I agree 100%. I'd even like to see Holl get more of a look before they make a trade. But I think you're right, move Dermott up next to Mo and put Hainsey back with Oz. Hainsey is doing well this year IMO, just oversued a bit maybe. And Dert's already stealing some shifts next to Reilly if you watch the games. My guess is Babs is easing him into this role before playoffs

I could see the Leafs going after Jensen at the deadline for soem depth. He's a ufa this summer and I imagine the Wings will be out of it by then.
Dec. 6, 2018 at 2:57 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Hedman77
I can’t even read that last sentence.

I don’t think all leaf fans are stupid, just you.

And why is that? Because I propose crazy one side trades? Did you notice that there was no trade proposed here? Probably not because you aren't a troll, you didn't just see my name and didn't say an argumentative statement as your only input. You have said nothing productive anywhere on here and only contradict stuff because you have a very unfortunate thirst for either arguing or pissing people off. Do you know what they call people like that in the internet age? Trolls.

So once again, go troll someone else.
Dec. 6, 2018 at 2:58 p.m.
Edited Dec. 6, 2018 at 3:04 p.m.
I think most one here have answered you, though. For the pieces you are willing to give up, you are looking at landing a 30+ dman who is largely viewed as a 4-5 defenceman....which is what you already have in Hainsey. A second or 3rd round pick could land you this kind of player.

If you package enough up, maybe somewhere between an Alec Martinez and a Deryk Engelland.

You just can't have it both ways....it's not reasonable to move the assets you're referring to and pick up someone who's:
1. Capable of taking on top 4 minutes from the right side
2. Better than what you're getting out of Hainsey right now
3. Doesn't have a big contract moving forward
4. Is available
5. Fits in with the long term strategy of the Leafs

I think the point you're tying to make is....that you're not willing to sacrifice anything meaningful from this team in order to improve the defence in any significant way. And that's fine if that's your opinion. I'm sure there's many GM's in the league who inquire on a d-man, find out the asking price, and hang up in disbelief.

The baseline rate, it seems from deadlines past, to acquire and impact player is a 1st rounder, top prospect + a roster player. If I told you that only 20% of draft picks taken between picks 20-31 overall ever turn out to be a top 6 forward, top 4 d-man or #1 goalie...does that change your willingness to include the Leafs' first rounder? If you learn that Kapanen pots 30 goals this season and won't settle for any contract extension under $5m, does that change your willingness to include him?

The way we all value the various assets around the league is always going to vary wildly and I imagine that's the same with actual GM's.

Personally, I've found most regulars on here to be quite reasonable. If I like a player on their team and want to know what it would take from the Leafs roster to acquire him, I may not like the responses, but it's a good way to get a feel for how those fans view their players vs. yours.

Yes, there's a lot of posters on here who love to slam anything Leafs related. But there's also lots of leaf fans on here who post some pretty unrealistic trade proposals or contract numbers. I think we all need to realize that we have people on here ranging from 60+ years old probably down to around 10 years old or younger....so anytime I see something posted that's way off base, I try and picture a young boy on the opposite end who just came on here for fun to try and see what his favourite team looks like stacked up with his favourite players.

While you and I typically have different opinions with respect to the Leafs, I respect your posts and insights.....my advice is to take a step back, sometimes....a lot of times you'll take a disagreement with someone in one thread and then post your own ACGM team shortly after to try and prove your point....all this does in encourage the posters you've been arguing with to simply carry their criticisims foward on the new thread.

For a long time I've taken the approach that the purpose of a debate or argument in not to win it...it's to learn the other persons point of view. Encourage people to disagree with you and learn from it. Anyway...my 2 cents from one leaf fan to another.
blowing_the_zone and S1LV3R liked this.
Dec. 6, 2018 at 3:01 p.m.
Lets Go Blues
Quoting: Juice
I think most one here have answered you, though. For the pieces you are willing to give up, you are looking at landing a 30+ dman who is largely viewed as a 4-5 defenceman....which is what you already have in Hainsey. A second or 3rd round pick could land you this kind of player.

If you package enough up, maybe somewhere between an Alec Martinez and a Deryk Engelland.

You just can't have it both ways....it's not reasonable to move the assets you're referring to and pick up someone who's:
1. Capable of taking on top 4 minutes from the right side
2. Better than what you're getting out of Hainsey right now
3. Doesn't have a big contract moving forward
4. Is available
5. Fits in with the long term strategy of the Leafs

I think the point you're tying to make is....that you're not willing to sacrifice anything meaningful from this team in order to improve the defence in any significant way. Any that's fine if that's your opinion. I'm sure there's many GM's in the league who inquire on a d-man, find out the asking price, and hang up in disbelief.

The baseline rate, it seems from deadlines past, to acquire and impact player is a 1st rounder, top prospect + a roster player. If I told you that only 20% of draft picks taken between picks 20-31 overall ever turn out to be a top 6 forward, top 4 d-man or #1 goalie...does that change your willingness to include the Leafs' first rounder? If you learn that Kapanen pots 30 goals this season and won't settle for any contract extension under $5m, does that change your willingness to include him?

The way we all value the various assets around the league is always going to vary wildly and I imagine that's the same with actual GM's.

Personally, I've found most regulars on here to be quite reasonable. If I like a player on their team and want to know what it would take from the Leafs roster to acquire him, I may not like the responses, but it's a good way to get a feel for how those fans view their players vs. yours.

Yes, there's a lot of posters on here who love to slam anything Leafs related. But yes, there's lots of leaf fans on here who post some pretty unrealistic trade proposals of contract numbers. I think we all need to realize that we have people on here ranging from 60+ years old probably down to around 10 years old or younger....so anytime I see something posted that's way off base, I try and picture a young boy on the opposite end who just came on here for fun to try and see what his favourite team looks like stacked up with his favourite players.

While you and I typically have different opinions with respect to the Leafs, I respect your posts and insights.....my advise is to take a step back, sometimes....a lot of times you'll take a disagreement with someone in one thread and then post your own ACGM team shortly after to try and prove your point....all this does in encourage the posters you've been arguing with to simply carry their criticisims foward on the new thread.

For a long time I've taken the approach that the purpose of a debate or argument in not to win it...it's to learn the other persons point of view. Encourage people to disagree with you and learn from it. Anyway...my 2 cents from one leaf fan to another.

The Juice is Loose, baby! cheers
Log off the internet
And why is that? Because I propose crazy one side trades? Did you notice that there was no trade proposed here? Probably not because you aren't a troll, you didn't just see my name and didn't say an argumentative statement as your only input. You have said nothing productive anywhere on here and only contradict stuff because you have a very unfortunate thirst for either arguing or pissing people off. Do you know what they call people like that in the internet age? Trolls.

So once again, go troll someone else.

No, because you call anyone who disagrees with you a troll. I never even said there was a crazy trade proposal here lmao.. I probably should have expected once since you were the OP

If valuing defensemen for what they’re worth is trolling, then **** it I guess I’m a troll
Let's all just take a breather...

The point I was trying to make is that I don't think we can upgrade over what we already have.

I agree again, and I don't get the panic in Leafland. We're sitting in a good position right now and we've been missing Matthews for a big chunk of the year and we're just getting Nylander back now. We're 2nd in goals for and 5th in goals against without seeing our full roster yet. We should just sit back and enjoy the ride until we get closer to the deadline and then look at some depth insurance
Dec. 6, 2018 at 3:02 p.m.
Who adds what?
This is the kind of move I am talking about. Of course all the trolls on here suggesting I am insane because I apparently want a top pair elite defenceman for a bag of pucks still won't understand what the point of this is but thanks for the input! You are a thoughtful contributor and that is always welcome to see!

Thanks so much! This board is so much more fun when we all just get along and talk hockey.

By the way, because the Caps are close to the contract limit, and have no waiver exempt guys, they're probably going to throw in a roster player like Dowd or Stephenson, and a C prospect or two, before they're actually comfortable taking on two players for one..... if the teachers' pension approves.

I think the value of a player to a team depends a lot on the player, but also a lot on the team's needs, so if you're not picky, there's usually a way to find someone who can help a team at whatever you consider a reasonable price.
Dec. 6, 2018 at 3:04 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Blazingbat11
Point is simple. You gotta give something to get something. The “I’ll send average things to get a better things” is a ACGM exclusive.

Really that's the point? Oh thanks for the help.

The following isn't neccessarily directed at you more to pretty much everyone who has not at all understood what the point of this post is.

Guy 1 asks, hey internet friends and hockey fans. Here are a list of assets, what do you think I can get for these?

Internet people.

YOU CAN'T GET A STUD DEFENCEMAN FOR THAT PRICE YOU IDIOT! YOU ARE SO STUPID!

Guy 1

Ah, I didn't ask for a stud defenceman, I asked what defenceman I could get for the package of assets I listed.

Internet people.

Nylander or nothing.

Guy 1

"Excuse me? I gave a list of players can we work within the parameters listed above?"

Internet people.

"Are you stupid? We already said you aren't getting a stud defenceman unless you trade Nylander, a 1st and your top prospect!"

Guy 1

"Is anyone reading anything I am saying? I gave a list of assets and I am wondering what I can get for them, it doesn't have to be a stud defenceman."

Internet people,

"Auston Matthews!"

Guy 1

Face palm and quietly mutters, "well this really is my won fault, this is 100% the outcome of any realistic question on cap friendly"
Dec. 6, 2018 at 3:05 p.m.
Quoting: A_K
The Juice is Loose, baby! cheers

hahaha...good to be back!
Dec. 6, 2018 at 3:06 p.m.
Who adds what?

Oooh. Great idea. Scandella's another underrated defensive defenseman. After the Caps trade Kempny for Brown and Marincin, how about Marco and a 2nd for Burakovsky and a surprise AHLer?
Dec. 6, 2018 at 3:07 p.m.
I think we all need to realize that we have people on here ranging from 60+ years old probably down to around 10 years old or younger....so anytime I see something posted that's way off base, I try and picture a young boy on the opposite end who just came on here for fun to try and see what his favourite team looks like stacked up with his favourite players.

I think this is a really important point, Juice.
Juice liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll