SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Remember the days when it didnt cost your first born to acquire a defenceman

Dec. 6, 2018 at 4:17 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: IAMAHOCKEYPLAYER69
it betters my day by giving myself a few laughs because someone like you lacks the understanding to take a joke

I don't buy it. No jokes were delivered. Dig deeper my friend, lets figure this out. Maybe you'll turn me into a troll as well, how does pissing someone off make you feel better? There must be a definable reason for this, lets figure it out man!
Dec. 6, 2018 at 5:05 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: LoganOllivier
I don't buy it. No jokes were delivered. Dig deeper my friend, lets figure this out. Maybe you'll turn me into a troll as well, how does pissing someone off make you feel better? There must be a definable reason for this, lets figure it out man!

thank you for being my own personal psychologist sir i won't troll you again
Dec. 6, 2018 at 6:18 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
With the apparent going rate for an upgrade on Defence having a absolutely massive price tag on it, there is almost no point to make a trade.

The pieces I would be willing to move on from are Brown, Zaitsev, a prospect not named Liljegren or Sandin and a 1st round pick. What could that get the Leafs as far as a defensive upgrade is concerned?

1. Dmen acquisitions are unreasonable high.....especially on CapFriendly. 2. Bottom end Dmen from any other team are always way better than the guys you have, 3. RHD, and RHD, are so much better than any of the other Dmen on your team. 4. Leafs Dmen are the worse in league. 5. Leafs always have overpay for Dmen.

Now to answer your question, I don't think there will be many available until non contenders become sellers. From a Leafs view are you getting better Dmen in a trade than their third pairing (unless there's injuries) Dermot and Ozzie?
Dec. 6, 2018 at 6:28 p.m.
its in the game
Sure, what decent rental options are available then?

id say its too soon to determine what teams are deadline sellers at this point. im a canucks fan and know that team well enough that theyd likely be selling. Edler or Tanev could probably be had, but I have no idea if they would be an upgrade. Toronto would surely have better options available closer to the actual trade deadline.
Dec. 6, 2018 at 9:45 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Jerdog666
id say its too soon to determine what teams are deadline sellers at this point. im a canucks fan and know that team well enough that theyd likely be selling. Edler or Tanev could probably be had, but I have no idea if they would be an upgrade. Toronto would surely have better options available closer to the actual trade deadline.

I think Tanev is the perfect guy for TO. Would Brown and a 1st be enough to get him? We could add more especially if it gets some salary retention.
Dec. 7, 2018 at 12:03 a.m.
its in the game
I think thats probably enough. your 1st (although likely a later pick) has more value to Vancouver than anybody else, as Van is hosting the draft this year and it would create a buzz.
Only issues are:
1.Van looks like even more crap than usual without Tanev in their lineup.
2. if another team offers a higher 1st round pick, van goes with it.
Dec. 11, 2018 at 3:38 p.m.
Assuming you're looking for help this season, there are a few D men that should be available at the deadline for reasonable prices depending on whether their teams are sellers.
1) Adam McQuaid (NYR)
2) Jay Bouwmeester (STL)
3) Deryk Engelland (LV)
4) Niklas Kronwall (DET)
Dec. 11, 2018 at 4:04 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: me212
Assuming you're looking for help this season, there are a few D men that should be available at the deadline for reasonable prices depending on whether their teams are sellers.
1) Adam McQuaid (NYR)
2) Jay Bouwmeester (STL)
3) Deryk Engelland (LV)
4) Niklas Kronwall (DET)

I am certain that 3 of those offer zero upgrade for TO and Engelland isn't really much more than anything TO already has. But thanks for the input all the same. I have thought about Engelland several times, he's not a bad depth pickup in case of injuries.
Dec. 14, 2018 at 3:48 p.m.
Would like to hear more from STL fans about Parayko. Is there a package of picks, prospects and players not named Nylander, Matthews, Marner or Reilly that can get a deal done? Is our 1st, Kapanen and Liljegren enough?
Dec. 14, 2018 at 4:51 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: KoneDome
Would like to hear more from STL fans about Parayko. Is there a package of picks, prospects and players not named Nylander, Matthews, Marner or Reilly that can get a deal done? Is our 1st, Kapanen and Liljegren enough?

That is way too much of a price in my mind. Parayko is a great defenceman but he is one player and this is a team sport. Having 3 potential higher end players go out the door for 1 player that may or may not be better than any of the pieces leaving seems like a huge gamble to make because talking heads think TO's shots allowed is actually a problem. There is a tonne of stats to support the notion that teams who have the lead allow more shots. TO has the lead more than most other teams so its not a suprise they allow many shots. Who cares if you give up 40 shots when you win more than pretty much everyone else. I look long term and see a deal that takes that much long term assets to make as a negative.
Dec. 14, 2018 at 7:16 p.m.
bigbig nerd big
Need a guy who can excel at defensive zone exits and passes. By most accounts, Liljegren and Sandin both excel at that. I urge patience.
Dec. 15, 2018 at 3:23 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: S1LV3R
Why not just play Dermott with Reilly, and Hainsey with Oz?

Cause those two guys can't skate the puck out of the zone. No use loading up a better so called # pair 1, when it would mean the bottom end pairing couldn't get out of their own end.
Duster liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll