Forums/Armchair-GM

BOS MTL and OTT interested in Coyle

Created by: TanSor
Team: 2018-19 Minnesota Wild
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 8, 2018
Published: Dec. 8, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Per our beat writer Michael Russo, these 3 teams have all shown interest in Coyle and Fenton is actively shopping him along with Niederreiter. The Wild need a scoring right shot forward, what you be willing to give up for Coyle or a package that includes Coyle?

Guys I'd be interested in:

OTT: Batherson, White, Stone

BOS: Donato (left shot but the guy I like most from Boston)

MTL: Suzuki (probably not available), Gallagher (also probably not available)
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$79,500,000$74,837,758$25,000$825,000$4,662,242
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 5
$3,500,000$3,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,750,000$5,750,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$7,538,462$7,538,462
LW
NMC
UFA - 7
$3,200,000$3,200,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$916,666$916,666 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
C
UFA - 1
$2,875,000$2,875,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$687,500$687,500
RW
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
RW, C, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,538,462$7,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 7
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
UFA - 5
$2,166,667$2,166,667
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,166,667$4,166,667
LD
UFA - 3
$5,187,500$5,187,500
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$650,000$650,000
G
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RD
UFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$650,000$650,000
RD
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 8, 2018 at 2:40 p.m.
What in tarnation
I could see BOS moving Donato for Coyle.
TanSor liked this.
Dec. 8, 2018 at 2:42 p.m.
Quoting: BurgerBoss
I could see BOS moving Donato for Coyle.

So could I, but that doesn't really solve our right shot issue, unfortunately, even though I really like him as a prospect.
justaBoss liked this.
Dec. 8, 2018 at 2:44 p.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
MTL: Hudon and pick for Coyle
BOS: Heinen or Cehlarik and pick for Coyle (Coyle is safer player and great for Bruins need of 2RW with Krejci and DeBrusk, but Heinen has higher ceiling)
OTT: Coyle and JEE for Dzingel and Chlapik (Dzingel is better point producer, much better one tbh and changing prospects with higher/lower ceilings would be to equal the value)
TanSor liked this.
Dec. 8, 2018 at 2:48 p.m.
Quoting: SammyT_51
MTL: Hudon and pick for Coyle
BOS: Heinen or Cehlarik and pick for Coyle (Coyle is safer player and great for Bruins need of 2RW with Krejci and DeBrusk, but Heinen has higher ceiling)
OTT: Coyle and JEE for Dzingel and Chlapik (Dzingel is better point producer, much better one tbh and changing prospects with higher/lower ceilings would be to equal the value)

Those all seem pretty ballpark on value. I wouldn't hate those trades, although if we made a trade with OTT I'd probably offer a good package to try and get White or Betherson (maybe dangle Spurgeon in a package with Coyle for another RD and one of those two). Unfortunately, none of these solve our right shot forward issue. In fact, they make it worse since we would now have no right shots in our top 9 since Coyle is our only one, lol.
Dec. 8, 2018 at 2:50 p.m.
Can't see Ottawa being interested in Coyle, and definitely not for White, Batherson or Stone. The sens have no reason to want to add a Centre right now. We currently have Duchene-White-Tierney-Pageau-Smith in the NHL and Brown, Chlapik and Norris who all could be in the NHL in the next season or two.
Even if we lose Duchene, I think it would be a bad move. We don't need centers, we need right D.
TanSor liked this.
Dec. 8, 2018 at 2:51 p.m.
Pens Rule!
How about Derrick Brassard from the Pens as a 2nd line Center and Bryan Rust or Kessel as a right shot winger?
TanSor liked this.
Dec. 8, 2018 at 2:55 p.m.
Quoting: Claesson4Norris
Can't see Ottawa being interested in Coyle, and definitely not for White, Batherson or Stone. The sens have no reason to want to add a Centre right now. We currently have Duchene-White-Tierney-Pageau-Smith in the NHL and Brown, Chlapik and Norris who all could be in the NHL in the next season or two.
Even if we lose Duchene, I think it would be a bad move. We don't need centers, we need right D.

Well, they might be. Our beat writer is extremely reliable when it comes to information. Here's his quote from his article today:

"It is believed that Eastern Conference teams Ottawa, Montreal and Boston have at least shown interest and are watching Coyle closely. The Canadiens have shown interest in prior years, too."

I didn't mean any of those 3 for Coyle straight up, that would be terrible for the Sens. I was more thinking something like Coyle + Spurgeon for White/Batherson + Ceci as a base, but more might be needed to balance the trade out. Coyle also primarily plays RW, not C, although he can fill in at center if needed.

Quoting: coffey77
How about Derrick Brassard from the Pens as a 2nd line Center and Bryan Rust or Kessel as a right shot winger?

Not a huge fan of Brassard. I like Rust, although he's not great at scoring. I'm a big fan of Sprong but unfortunately that ship has sailed. Brassard + Sprong for Coyle + a little extra could have been an interesting trade.
coffey77 liked this.
Dec. 8, 2018 at 3:05 p.m.
Quoting: arousedcat
Well, they might be. Our beat writer is extremely reliable when it comes to information. Here's his quote from his article today:

"It is believed that Eastern Conference teams Ottawa, Montreal and Boston have at least shown interest and are watching Coyle closely. The Canadiens have shown interest in prior years, too."

I didn't mean any of those 3 for Coyle straight up, that would be terrible for the Sens. I was more thinking something like Coyle + Spurgeon for White/Batherson + Ceci as a base, but more might be needed to balance the trade out. Coyle also primarily plays RW, not C, although he can fill in at center if needed.

Batherson and White are totally untouchable. White has turned into a reliable 2C this season, and Batherson looks like Mark Stone junior.

I'd love to see Spugeon in Ottawa, but the cost is one of our young forwards, I don't think it's the right move. Maybe if it was part of a Duchene deal, but that doesn't solve the right shot issue for MIN.
TanSor liked this.
Dec. 8, 2018 at 3:06 p.m.
Quoting: Claesson4Norris
Batherson and White are totally untouchable. White has turned into a reliable 2C this season, and Batherson looks like Mark Stone junior.

I'd love to see Spugeon in Ottawa, but the cost is one of our young forwards, I don't think it's the right move. Maybe if it was part of a Duchene deal, but that doesn't solve the right shot issue for MIN.

Bummer, I'm a big Batherson and White fan. Spurgeon would definitely cost a young forward, so it seems as if it's not a fit frown
Claesson4Norris liked this.
Dec. 8, 2018 at 3:08 p.m.
Dont see Boston offering up Donato. Hometown kid, just left school last year and in his first full pro year
TanSor liked this.
Dec. 8, 2018 at 3:09 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Montreal would probably need to give up a forward when trading for Coyle. Hudon+ is probably the most likely scenario.
TanSor and Price_is_the_goat liked this.
Dec. 8, 2018 at 3:11 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: EthanK24
Montreal would probably need to give up a forward when trading for Coyle. Hudon+ is probably the most likely scenario.

I don’t know how he’ll fit into our lineup, though. Is he more of a center, or winger?
Dec. 8, 2018 at 3:19 p.m.
I don’t know how he’ll fit into our lineup, though. Is he more of a center, or winger?

winger. but i got one question. is he a fast skater? if he isn't, then no point in trading for him
Dec. 8, 2018 at 3:19 p.m.

More of a winger, but he can play center.
Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Dec. 8, 2018 at 3:21 p.m.
Quoting: Price_is_the_goat
winger. but i got one question. is he a fast skater? if he isn't, then no point in trading for him

Yes, he can skate well and has good speed. He's not going to get you to jump out of your seat with his speed but he's certainly not slow, either.
Price_is_the_goat liked this.
Dec. 12, 2018 at 7:12 p.m.
boothy424
Quoting: ON3M4N
Dont see Boston offering up Donato. Hometown kid, just left school last year and in his first full pro year

yea I don't see them training Donato or Heinen for Coyle. Heinen had more points than Coyle in his rookie year. He is having a tough slump right now but he will find his game. I could the Bruins offering some B level prospects that could pay off later and someone who could step in now. Something like Colby Cave or Peter Cehlarik, Zach Senshyn, and a 2nd for Coyle. Decent bottom six center or wing, our leading scorer in the AHL at the moment, and a 2nd for a middle 6 RW that hopefully fits well next to Krejci and Debrusk
Dec. 12, 2018 at 7:21 p.m.
Quoting: boothy424
yea I don't see them training Donato or Heinen for Coyle. Heinen had more points than Coyle in his rookie year. He is having a tough slump right now but he will find his game. I could the Bruins offering some B level prospects that could pay off later and someone who could step in now. Something like Colby Cave or Peter Cehlarik, Zach Senshyn, and a 2nd for Coyle. Decent bottom six center or wing, our leading scorer in the AHL at the moment, and a 2nd for a middle 6 RW that hopefully fits well next to Krejci and Debrusk

I think if they offered up a young player it would be Heinen. They have a lot a left shot wingers and Heinen is the first up for a new contract. Bjork is waiting, Studnicka plays C/RW, Lauko was really impressive during camp and having a strong rookie year in the QMJHL and of course their project Zachary Senyshyn. I know B's fans seem to hate the kid, but they are taking their time to mold him into a two-way power forward in the new NHL.

Cave really isn't worth much and I wouldn't put to much stock in his AHL numbers. Cehalarik probably has some value as a big skilled winger, but there are concerns with the B's about his pace of play and if its up to the NHL standards.
Dec. 12, 2018 at 7:28 p.m.
gabriiel40
What about maybe Shaw, Hudon and a 5th for Coyle and a 3rd?
Dec. 12, 2018 at 7:37 p.m.
Quoting: gabriiel40
What about maybe Shaw, Hudon and a 5th for Coyle and a 3rd?

No need for Hudon and Shaw is a downgrade from Coyle, not to mention we're giving up the better pick. To be completely honest the Habs just aren't very good trade partners for the Wild, even if Coyle is a good fit for the Habs.
Dec. 12, 2018 at 7:39 p.m.
gabriiel40
Edited Dec. 12, 2018 at 8:00 p.m.
No need for Hudon and Shaw is a downgrade from Coyle, not to mention we're giving up the better pick. To be completely honest the Habs just aren't very good trade partners for the Wild, even if Coyle is a good fit for the Habs.

Does Coyle always play on the 2nd line or is he typically on the 3rd?
Dec. 12, 2018 at 7:53 p.m.
Does Coyle always play on the 2nd line or is he typically on the 3rd?

Kind of all over the place, he's the Wild's jack-of-all-trades guy. He can play anywhere in the top 9 on RW, but generally he plays in the middle 6 (Bruce loves to switch up lines). As a center we've only ever needed him to play 3C since Koivu and Staal have been extremely healthy, but as you most likely saw last night he shows flashes of being a decent 2C.
Dec. 12, 2018 at 8:00 p.m.
gabriiel40
Kind of all over the place, he's the Wild's jack-of-all-trades guy. He can play anywhere in the top 9 on RW, but generally he plays in the middle 6 (Bruce loves to switch up lines). As a center we've only ever needed him to play 3C since Koivu and Staal have been extremely healthy, but as you most likely saw last night he shows flashes of being a decent 2C.

What about say if Habs were to take back the Foligno contract? You say Shaw is a downgrade but he has a better ppg this year. Perhaps a deal can be worked out where we send you Shaw + and receive Coyle and Foligno?
Dec. 12, 2018 at 8:20 p.m.
What about say if Habs were to take back the Foligno contract? You say Shaw is a downgrade but he has a better ppg this year. Perhaps a deal can be worked out where we send you Shaw + and receive Coyle and Foligno?

Foligno has been awesome, I wouldn't want to trade him. His contract is expensive and he probably isn't worth all of it but I think he's maybe only $500k overpaid and he's an absolute force on the PK. IMO any Coyle trade with Shaw as the centerpiece for the Habs is a loss for the Wild. Id take Coyle over Shaw 10 times out of 10.
Dec. 12, 2018 at 8:35 p.m.

Foligno's not quite worth his contract (~$250k too much), but he's not massively overpayed. He'll chip in his yearly 23p, but isn't going to light up the scoreboard. He's more valuable to the Wild than anything they'll get in trade for him. He's the meat and potatoes player that MN lacks: he's physical, doesn't take shifts off, will drop the gloves if needed, and is a quality PKer. He's one of those guys that Playoff teams are always adding at the TDL.

I like Shaw, but not his contract. He also takes too many dumb penalties for my liking. A deal of Shaw for Coyle could work, but I'm not really a trade I'd look into too hard if I was MN.
TanSor liked this.
Dec. 12, 2018 at 8:38 p.m.
gabriiel40
Foligno has been awesome, I wouldn't want to trade him. His contract is expensive and he probably isn't worth all of it but I think he's maybe only $500k overpaid and he's an absolute force on the PK. IMO any Coyle trade with Shaw as the centerpiece for the Habs is a loss for the Wild. Id take Coyle over Shaw 10 times out of 10.

Call me not convinced, there is a reason they are willing to move Coyle. Your writer said that they are looking for scoring winger....any move I can see that can get you that for Coyle would require an add on your end. I consider Shaw and Coyle to be a fairly even currently in value. You clearly wont be getting Gallagher and Suzuki as the value is just not there for the habs. In fact Donato is the only one I can see out of the players that you mentioned that could be moved and he is in the AHL so an add would be required by Boston. What do you think about say Byron? Has scored 20+ goals the last 2 years and 40 ish points.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll