Vancouver Trade but not Tanev

Created by: brenfox31
Team: 2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 22, 2018
Published: Dec. 24, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
A few notes:

-Return of Hyman would see him take the 3RW and Brown plays the 4RW, or we could see some big line shuffles and probably see Johnsson on the 4th. Either way, the depth here (Even with Ennis gone long term) is great! Moore, Par, and gauthier would split duties on the 4th, with Lindholm switching between LW and C.

Return of Ozhiganov means he is probably scratched alongside Marincin, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them steal some games from Ron, plus injuries.

Holl simply needs to get a return, given the fact he doesn't have a purpose and Marincin has looked good enough to get the extra games IMO.

This deal requires Vancouver to tank and/or not compete for a playoff spot, and right now they are close so it's hard to say whether they even consider moving Edler. However, they know they can get him (or a similar guy) back in FA. He is cheaper than Tanev, but provides more consistently IMO because Tanev is very injury-prone and has slumped recently. Instead of paying a 2nd for a useless 4c, we can get a proven Dman, an actual need!

This solves some serious problems for the leafs, even if he is Left handed. We could even put Gardiner and Reilly together and have Edler on the left.

The value is probably off, but i'm not sure what prospect to add. Reasonably they would have to add someone like Klimchuk or better.
Trades
VAN
  1. Holl, Justin
  2. 2019 2nd round pick (TOR)
  3. 2019 7th round pick (TOR)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$79,500,000$76,586,111$2,550,000$6,250,000$2,913,889
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$863,333$863,333
RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
C
UFA - 1
$10,277,778$10,277,778
RW
UFA - 6
$787,500$787,500
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 7
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
UFA - 1
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
LW, C
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 4
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,050,000$4,050,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 6
$675,000$675,000
G
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 1
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$650,000$650,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 24, 2018 at 1:12 p.m.
Sexiest in the world
Edler can play in all situations and is on pace for 49 points and that's all were are getting back!?!?

No way if the canucks are looking to trade Edler they're looking for a first or prospect. Yes he's worth that much cuz unlike your defenceman u have already he's actually good in all situations. Not just offence or defence.
sedin33 liked this.
Dec. 24, 2018 at 1:34 p.m.
JJ_91
This trade is horrible, but since its the holiday season, im in a good mood, so 3 stars
Ryminister_27 liked this.
Dec. 24, 2018 at 1:37 p.m.
I like the idea of Edler but the rental market is thin and the cost prohibitive. I'm sure a desperate team would offer more than a 3rd+ but the real question is, does Edler push this team over the top? He'd help but I strongly doubt it.
Dec. 24, 2018 at 1:40 p.m.
Wannabe Leafs GM
Quoting: RC333
Edler can play in all situations and is on pace for 49 points and that's all were are getting back!?!?

No way if the canucks are looking to trade Edler they're looking for a first or prospect. Yes he's worth that much cuz unlike your defenceman u have already he's actually good in all situations. Not just offence or defence.

Yeah, you're right, Rielly playing an average of 22 minutes a night, against top units, is on the PK and is plus 26. But hey, what do I know.

Oh and btw our player that plays on the PK, PP and top defensive pair has 44 points on the year so far, thats better than your whole team btw wink
Dec. 24, 2018 at 1:52 p.m.
Banned

LOL ... seriously dude? .. Edler isn't a fit for Toronto. Forget the fact that they need a right handed shot, not another lefty.. but he'd play bottom pairing minutes at best with maybe a little time on the PK. He's no where close to cracking either of the Leafs PP units so he wouldn't get any points either. So you're being biased and overvaluing your teams players. You might get lucky and get a 1st OR a decent prospect in return for him. But with him being a pending UFA this summer, you eon't get both.

& I'm sorry, did you say the Leafs defensemen aren't good in all situations? .. Rielly is FAR better than Edler in any situation. even in Edler's prime. and Dermott is better than Edler too, just doesn't have the points cause even he can't get on the Leafs PP. Edler is actually on pace for 39 points, not 49 (he's missed 15 games this year so he would't play a full season). And even Dermott who is playing third pairing minutes is on pace for 23 points. If he got more time on the PP he'd easily hit 30 this year and plays much better defence than Edler. He's not a fit in Toronto. and if he got traded here, you'd be lucky to get a 3rd and a player for him.

Don't overvalue your players just cause their on your favourite team.
Dec. 24, 2018 at 2:18 p.m.
Brendan Fox
Well it looks like I started some debate on Edler, that’s great!

Also; I’m well aware that Edler could get a 1st or so, but if they can’t move him, they will do it similar to the Vanek Trade, get something at least! I’d say the Leafs probably give a second and Holl instead of the third, I thought that’s what I had done. My bad
Dec. 24, 2018 at 2:22 p.m.
Brendan Fox
Quoting: Goulet
I like the idea of Edler but the rental market is thin and the cost prohibitive. I'm sure a desperate team would offer more than a 3rd+ but the real question is, does Edler push this team over the top? He'd help but I strongly doubt it.

I tend to agree that he won’t push them over the top, but if they are fighting Tampa for 1st in the Atlantic, or fighting for the cup, why wouldn’t they make a move on a guy like Edler? Also, I would say that they probably give a 2nd and Holl, accidentally put a third instead.
RC333 liked this.
Dec. 24, 2018 at 2:45 p.m.
McFaksaGOAT
Quoting: jonesryan
LOL ... seriously dude? .. Edler isn't a fit for Toronto. Forget the fact that they need a right handed shot, not another lefty.. but he'd play bottom pairing minutes at best with maybe a little time on the PK. He's no where close to cracking either of the Leafs PP units so he wouldn't get any points either. So you're being biased and overvaluing your teams players. You might get lucky and get a 1st OR a decent prospect in return for him. But with him being a pending UFA this summer, you eon't get both.

& I'm sorry, did you say the Leafs defensemen aren't good in all situations? .. Rielly is FAR better than Edler in any situation. even in Edler's prime. and Dermott is better than Edler too, just doesn't have the points cause even he can't get on the Leafs PP. Edler is actually on pace for 39 points, not 49 (he's missed 15 games this year so he would't play a full season). And even Dermott who is playing third pairing minutes is on pace for 23 points. If he got more time on the PP he'd easily hit 30 this year and plays much better defence than Edler. He's not a fit in Toronto. and if he got traded here, you'd be lucky to get a 3rd and a player for him.

Jesus oof
Dec. 24, 2018 at 3:38 p.m.
Log off the internet
An AHLer and a 3rd doesn’t get Edler
sedin33, RC333 and Tmclean64 liked this.
Dec. 24, 2018 at 3:58 p.m.
I submitted a trade for Edler and Tanev that I think is reasonable and helps the Leafs with their cap situation. Essentially it's Edler + Tanev retaining 1/2 their salary for their respective terms for Zaitsev, 3rd, and Sandin.

Not sure how much Gardiner will want, but getting rid of Zaitsev gives you a shot are resigning him or another Dman. Having Edler allows you to still push for the cup this year. What do you think?
Dec. 24, 2018 at 4:18 p.m.
Brendan Fox
Quoting: sedin33
I submitted a trade for Edler and Tanev that I think is reasonable and helps the Leafs with their cap situation. Essentially it's Edler + Tanev retaining 1/2 their salary for their respective terms for Zaitsev, 3rd, and Sandin.

Not sure how much Gardiner will want, but getting rid of Zaitsev gives you a shot are resigning him or another Dman. Having Edler allows you to still push for the cup this year. What do you think?

I wouldn’t give up Sandin but I like the idea. Makes sense to me.
Dec. 24, 2018 at 4:30 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
If, if, wants to waive his NTC, the Canucks would get more in a trade. But there has to be some logic on where Elder fits into the lineup. Reilly with his season and Gardiner aren't moving from their LHD positions. You just can't say Elder is better that Ozhiganov so the Leafs should trade for him.
Reilly is having a career season...and Hainsey is his partner. Does having Elder really help Reilly especially if Reilly has to move to the right side.
Dec. 24, 2018 at 4:31 p.m.
Quoting: brenfox31

Who would you include instead?
Dec. 25, 2018 at 6:04 a.m.
Canucks

Wtf? Lol. When youre trading for another teams player youre trading for the value of what that player is worth to them, not what the player is worth to you.. Edler is Vancouvers top Dman and runs 1st PP. Leaf fans, trading a AHLer and a 3rd for him doesnt fly to say the least.. Van says no.
RC333 liked this.
Dec. 25, 2018 at 2:49 p.m.
Sexiest in the world

Quoting: Davisoc
Yeah, you're right, Rielly playing an average of 22 minutes a night, against top units, is on the PK and is plus 26. But hey, what do I know.

Oh and btw our player that plays on the PK, PP and top defensive pair has 44 points on the year so far, thats better than your whole team btw wink

I'll have what these guys are smoking. Leafs fans are the most clueless LOL
Tmclean64 liked this.
Dec. 26, 2018 at 7:40 a.m.
Brendan Fox
Quoting: Tmclean64
Wtf? Lol. When youre trading for another teams player youre trading for the value of what that player is worth to them, not what the player is worth to you.. Edler is Vancouvers top Dman and runs 1st PP. Leaf fans, trading a AHLer and a 3rd for him doesnt fly to say the least.. Van says no.

I see now why my trade was undervalued, even considering he is a rental, old and at the deadline Vancouver would have to move him, so what would you guys say is fair?

I say a 2nd, Holl (for roster spot), and a winger prospect or pick - Maybe a guy like Engvall but I like him a lot, and frankly idk if I wanna move any RWs
Dec. 27, 2018 at 10:56 a.m.
Wannabe Leafs GM
I'll have what these guys are smoking. Leafs fans are the most clueless LOL

You are a joke dude. What I hate is the NHL fandom that thinks any Toronto Player isnt not as good as what they are. Let me guys, Marner isn't a top winger in the league, Tavarse is over rated. Mathews shouldn't have gone first overall. Get over yourself dude. Stop wasting our time.
Dec. 27, 2018 at 3:35 p.m.
Sexiest in the world
Quoting: Davisoc
You are a joke dude. What I hate is the NHL fandom that thinks any Toronto Player isnt not as good as what they are. Let me guys, Marner isn't a top winger in the league, Tavarse is over rated. Mathews shouldn't have gone first overall. Get over yourself dude. Stop wasting our time.

Are you kidding me dude? Marner Tavares and Matthews are all elite don't assume cuz it'll make an ass out of you and not me.

Instead of assuming and playing the poor little victim why don't u get over yourself and understand that not all your players are worth a premium. I know a hell of a lot more hockey than some 10 year old computer warrior so sit back down. The points I made about Tanev are real and if u can't argue against them just don't reply. I don't see the point of making ridiculous claims about your own elite players. Maybe Leafs fans are really dumb haha

Btw learn how to at least spell your players names right
Dec. 27, 2018 at 5:39 p.m.
Wannabe Leafs GM
Are you kidding me dude? Marner Tavares and Matthews are all elite don't assume cuz it'll make an ass out of you and not me.

Instead of assuming and playing the poor little victim why don't u get over yourself and understand that not all your players are worth a premium. I know a hell of a lot more hockey than some 10 year old computer warrior so sit back down. The points I made about Tanev are real and if u can't argue against them just don't reply. I don't see the point of making ridiculous claims about your own elite players. Maybe Leafs fans are really dumb haha

Btw learn how to at least spell your players names right

Good one man, assuming everyones age, clever. Really shows your age. I am not even going to fall into your trap of showing how wrong you are. You prove every single time I see your comments just how little you really know. You actually are sad, you call me a keyboard warrior, at least I am not a pathetic online bully.

It is almost as sad as it is funny how pathetic you are.
Dec. 27, 2018 at 8:04 p.m.
Brendan Fox
Let's not fight please, this is my post so I don't really need your whiny asses ruining it.

As you can probably see, i've edited the trade slightly. However I still pose the question - What would you think is more reasonable for Edler AT THE DEADLINE, with no other offers?? (cuz Leafs will only offer a small amount, enough to convince Van to do it if they NEED to.)

If you wanna argue over the skill level of players and whether or not Leafs fans are dumb, do it somewhere else. I didn't make this post for those arguments, i just wanted to know what people thought of acquiring a cheaper rental instead of a longer term option like Tanev (who will cost a guy like Brown - and get rid of our strength of forward depth)

Feel free to debate nicely!

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll