Forums/Armchair-GM

Big trade with the Wild

Created by: brokos73
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 27, 2018
Published: Dec. 27, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Blockbuster trade before the trade deadline during 2018-19 season.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
8$9,500,000
8$11,500,000
2$975,000
4$3,000,000
3$1,500,000
2$975,000
2$975,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
6$6,000,000
2$1,100,000
Trades
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,000,000$76,579,999$0$500,000$6,420,001

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RW
UFA - 6
$700,000$700,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$11,500,000$11,500,000
C
UFA - 5
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW
UFA - 3
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$916,666$916,666 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$975,000$975,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
UFA - 4
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$750,000$750,000
LD
UFA - 2
$975,000$975,000
RD
UFA
$975,000$975,000
G
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 27, 2018 at 9:56 p.m.
Not yet trannycided
I see what you're going for, but I personally would not do this. Dumba is too important for us. Take out the 2nd and I'd probably change my mind though.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Dec. 27, 2018 at 9:59 p.m.
Quoting: Icegirl
I see what you're going for, but I personally would not do this. Dumba is too important for us. Take out the 2nd and I'd probably change my mind though.

The draft pick isn't too important but Minny would have to throw something else in, assuming they resign Gardiner in the summer. Could be a 3rd or a 4th instead. I think it's a win win for both teams.
Dec. 27, 2018 at 10:02 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Yes, this is a great idea, but the price is a little too stiff for Minnesota, in my opinion, as @Icegirl says. I would settle for my original trade, which was Spurgeon, Greenway and the second for Nylander, Borgman or Rosen and a fourth, but could be talked into Gardiner instead of the prospect -- especially since Gardiner is from Minnesota. I wouldn't ask for Dumba because I'd want Fenton to be happy, too.
Dec. 27, 2018 at 10:05 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
PS. . . . and the money I'd save between Dumba's salary and Spurgeon's, I'd give to Sparks and Ozhiganov.

And I'd trade Trevor Moore here to home, maybe for Michael Amadio or Austin Wagner.
Dec. 27, 2018 at 10:06 p.m.
Quoting: OldNYIfan
Yes, this is a great idea, but the price is a little too stiff for Minnesota, in my opinion, as @Icegirl says. I would settle for my original trade, which was Spurgeon, Greenway and the second for Nylander, Borgman or Rosen and a fourth, but could be talked into Gardiner instead of the prospect -- especially since Gardiner is from Minnesota. I wouldn't ask for Dumba because I'd want Fenton to be happy, too.

Dumba is the centre of the trade. No Dumba, no trade. He may not even be healthy for the playoffs this year and who knows if his pectoral injury will affect his shot or game when he returns. Just remember that you have to give up a lot to get a lot. And Nylander would be huge for Minny and I think Gardiner would be a good replacement for Dumba on the opposite side. He would most likely flourish away from the spotlight in TO.
tomato43 liked this.
Dec. 27, 2018 at 10:13 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Why would the Wild do this? Gardiner is going to be a UFA in the summer. Wild aren't trading Dumba, Greenway and 2nd rounder for Nylander. If they really wanted Gardiner in the summer sign him. If there is too much cap on the team, then you trade another player. That's how you maximize return, not trading full value for UFA and then hoping you sign him.
For instance during the summer....sign Gardiner as a UFA, trade Dumba for Nylander, and then you get to keep the cap friendly and the very promising Greenway.
OldNYIfan and tomato43 liked this.
Dec. 27, 2018 at 10:16 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: brokos73
Dumba is the centre of the trade. No Dumba, no trade. He may not even be healthy for the playoffs this year and who knows if his pectoral injury will affect his shot or game when he returns. Just remember that you have to give up a lot to get a lot. And Nylander would be huge for Minny and I think Gardiner would be a good replacement for Dumba on the opposite side. He would most likely flourish away from the spotlight in TO.

Gardiner is already flourishing in the spotlight and I agree he would be a good fit for Minnesota. My point is, we don't have to be pigs and say Dumba or no deal. In my opinion, Spurgeon gives us almost as great a chance to win the Cup and that extra $800k+ gives additional flexibility. But all of this is moot because I don't think Dubas trades Nylander during the season.
Dec. 27, 2018 at 10:20 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: palhal
Why would the Wild do this? Gardiner is going to be a UFA in the summer. Wild aren't trading Dumba, Greenway and 2nd rounder for Nylander. If they really wanted Gardiner in the summer sign him. If there is too much cap on the team, then you trade another player. That's how you maximize return, not trading full value for UFA and then hoping you sign him.
For instance during the summer....sign Gardiner as a UFA, trade Dumba for Nylander, and then you get to keep the cap friendly and the very promising Greenway.

That's exActly why I think Toronto needs to add another asset not named Gardiner, and Minnesota is weak on LD (and RD) prospects likely to be NHL-ready next year. Greenway, Grundstrom and Johnsson should sew up LW for Toronto past the expansion draft.
Dec. 27, 2018 at 10:25 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: OldNYIfan
Gardiner is already flourishing in the spotlight and I agree he would be a good fit for Minnesota. My point is, we don't have to be pigs and say Dumba or no deal. In my opinion, Spurgeon gives us almost as great a chance to win the Cup and that extra $800k+ gives additional flexibility. But all of this is moot because I don't think Dubas trades Nylander during the season.

IMO, Dumba isn't traded by the Wild anyway. Good Dmen on long term contracts you just don't trade away. I have different opinion Nylander that almost all Leaf fans. For cap reasons and to shore up the defence short term, it my thought Nylander IS traded this summer. For instance Spurgeron and futures....do the term difference. Heck I would do this year but with front loading of the contract next summer, Nylander is even more desirable trade for some teams next year.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Dec. 27, 2018 at 10:49 p.m.
I think the two teams definitely match up as potential trade partners...from a Leafs fan perspective, I would hope that if we are including Nylander that Dumba is the other main part coming...but can definitely see a smaller, less riskier trade going down
Dec. 28, 2018 at 11:56 a.m.

The draft pick could be conditional on the Wild resigning Gardiner and the leafs could give them permission to negotiate with him before the trade. If he doesn't resign, the Wild get a Leafs 2nd rounder and if he does, the Leafs get theirs. Doesn't have to be 2nd rounders either. Either way, you have to give up a lot to get a lot and Nylander would instantly become the Wild's best offensive player.
Dec. 28, 2018 at 12:06 p.m.
this trade has been made so many times and the only fans it seems to be happy with it are leaf fans. why would the wild trade a defenseman who is probably a 50-70 piont player for a center(yes i get wild desperate need is a young center ) but it makes no sence for the wild to trade dumba. i dont see a deal between the leafs and wild if it involves dumba. there should only be 2 players who shouldnt be save and its dumba and granlund. but even granlund i could see being traded.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Dec. 28, 2018 at 12:16 p.m.
Quoting: Wildfan24
this trade has been made so many times and the only fans it seems to be happy with it are leaf fans. why would the wild trade a defenseman who is probably a 50-70 piont player for a center(yes i get wild desperate need is a young center ) but it makes no sence for the wild to trade dumba. i dont see a deal between the leafs and wild if it involves dumba. there should only be 2 players who shouldnt be save and its dumba and granlund. but even granlund i could see being traded.

How are the Wild doing with that offence and with Dumba? Just look at the Johansen/Jones trade. I'd say Jones was better than Dumba at that point and still is in my opinion and he got traded for a player that isn't as good as Nylander or at least if Nylander lives up to his potential. But that trade worked out well for both teams. The Wild desperately need help up front and are fairly deep on the blue line and Leafs are the opposite. The trade works well for both teams in my opinion but I'm sure there's no chance it ever happens.
Dec. 28, 2018 at 12:25 p.m.
How are the Wild doing with that offence and with Dumba? Just look at the Johansen/Jones trade. I'd say Jones was better than Dumba at that point and still is in my opinion and he got traded for a player that isn't as good as Nylander or at least if Nylander lives up to his potential. But that trade worked out well for both teams. The Wild desperately need help up front and are fairly deep on the blue line and Leafs are the opposite. The trade works well for both teams in my opinion but I'm sure there's no chance it ever happens.

the jones trade i thinknis different Nashville is and was completly loaded with top4 or top talent defenseman if the wild trade dumba that leaves sprugeon as the top rd with no proven rd to come in. i get the wild arent a very good team this year but ill go back to the same idea that its trading the same point person for another that just doesnt help the wild as they dont have that perfect replacement for dumba. Nashville had the replacement and there top 4 d is still insane. i think the wild just need to continue to suck and try and draft a high talent prospect. (with more then 3 points during his draft year)
Dec. 28, 2018 at 12:33 p.m.
the jones trade i thinknis different Nashville is and was completly loaded with top4 or top talent defenseman if the wild trade dumba that leaves sprugeon as the top rd with no proven rd to come in. i get the wild arent a very good team this year but ill go back to the same idea that its trading the same point person for another that just doesnt help the wild as they dont have that perfect replacement for dumba. Nashville had the replacement and there top 4 d is still insane. i think the wild just need to continue to suck and try and draft a high talent prospect. (with more then 3 points during his draft year)

I see your point. And as i said, I really don't see either GM pulling this trade off realistically but it's fun to dream up possible trades and i really do think this would work out well for both teams now and in the future.
Dec. 28, 2018 at 12:38 p.m.
I see your point. And as i said, I really don't see either GM pulling this trade off realistically but it's fun to dream up possible trades and i really do think this would work out well for both teams now and in the future.

yeah id be really upset if it happened but id be happy our gm finally made a move. i think i like kapanen also might be a smaller move and cheaper future cost maybe anyways have a good one
Dec. 28, 2018 at 12:42 p.m.
yeah id be really upset if it happened but id be happy our gm finally made a move. i think i like kapanen also might be a smaller move and cheaper future cost maybe anyways have a good one

I actually prefer Kapanen to Nylander personally lol. You too
Wildfan24 liked this.
Dec. 28, 2018 at 1:59 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
The draft pick could be conditional on the Wild resigning Gardiner and the leafs could give them permission to negotiate with him before the trade. If he doesn't resign, the Wild get a Leafs 2nd rounder and if he does, the Leafs get theirs. Doesn't have to be 2nd rounders either. Either way, you have to give up a lot to get a lot and Nylander would instantly become the Wild's best offensive player.[/quoter e]

Let'a halt this fantasy that a contending team like the Leafs are going to allow an important player like Gardiner to negotiate with another team. So the Leafs are telling Gardiner, you're not needed, and then if the Wild and Gardiner DON"T the Leafs have to welcome back an unwanted player. This never happens. Do other teams regard 20 goal 40 assist Nylander their best offensive player?
Dec. 28, 2018 at 3:05 p.m.

Just throwing out ideas and as I said multiple times, neither GM would ever make this trade but on paper it makes sense to me and I think it would help both teams.

And I'd say about half the teams in the league would consider Nylander their best offensive player. He hasn't even come close to reaching his potential either.
Dec. 28, 2018 at 7:07 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too

I agree that the Wild should not trade Dumba. He's essential for Minnesota's future and I don't think Dubas would even waste Fenton's time asking for him.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll