SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Value of Zaitsev and Brown

Jan. 3, 2019 at 10:59 a.m.
Dwight_Schrute
It seems like an hourly occurrence on here that there is a thread saying Zaitsev, Brown and a draft pick should be traded for a Norris caliber D-man. Stop it, neither of them alone will bring back a jaw dropping haul and putting them together will not change that. Zaitsev's contract is horrendous, sure he blocks shots that just means hes always in his own end, yes Babcock has him out there alot but who else is he going to use? Leaf D is horrendous.

Can we please just move on and admit that two middle of the lineup *at best* players arent going to bring back a first pairing Dman?
Jan. 3, 2019 at 11:22 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
No they won’t but then again no one is saying they will. Your value on zaitsev is low and possibly a bit low on brown but Erne isn’t having a terrible season so that one is close. If he manages to put up 15-20 goals then I would say the value is there.

I’m not really looking to move zaitsev he’s been solid. Brown may need to be moved for cap reason but it will be for a picks or a prospect.
SammyT_51 liked this.
Jan. 3, 2019 at 11:26 a.m.
Leaf fans have become the new Hab fans reality is not applicable.
sedin33, KSIxSKULLS and Lenny7 liked this.
Jan. 3, 2019 at 11:29 a.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
Who was trading Zaitsev, Brown and pick for Norris caliber D man? If someone is doing that he is clearly stupid.. Also Adam Ernes value is equivalent of 4th liner.

For me.. Browns value is Mirco Mueller and pick as they are similarly young and helpful to their respective teams. Brown has higher potential and contract for next season. Zaitsevs value is Radko Gudas and pick or AHL talent. He plays with Gardiner as offensive D man.. he should not play with Gardiner. Its destroying him as a player..
TH13 liked this.
Jan. 3, 2019 at 11:30 a.m.
Lenny7
Unfortunately it's probably not going to happen. We all have our home-team bias and, especially around here, the majority of us have read/watched/listened to far too many sunshine reports on our players/prospects (Whatever team they may be on) and then overvalue the heck out of them.
Jan. 3, 2019 at 1:02 p.m.
Quoting: SammyT_51
Who was trading Zaitsev, Brown and pick for Norris caliber D man? If someone is doing that he is clearly stupid.. Also Adam Ernes value is equivalent of 4th liner.

For me.. Browns value is Mirco Mueller and pick as they are similarly young and helpful to their respective teams. Brown has higher potential and contract for next season. Zaitsevs value is Radko Gudas and pick or AHL talent. He plays with Gardiner as offensive D man.. he should not play with Gardiner. Its destroying him as a player..

Sammy, so I've read elsewhere where his $ is not bad, its the term you guys are not happy with. But it seems like all proposals are looking for a shutdown d man (Adam Larsson for example). I don't watch TML's, but is he not that? He's playing with the wrong partner based on what I read from you. Is that all correct? Thx
SammyT_51 liked this.
Jan. 3, 2019 at 1:36 p.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
Quoting: Smitty426
Sammy, so I've read elsewhere where his $ is not bad, its the term you guys are not happy with. But it seems like all proposals are looking for a shutdown d man (Adam Larsson for example). I don't watch TML's, but is he not that? He's playing with the wrong partner based on what I read from you. Is that all correct? Thx

Its correct! Im not happy with the term but also Zaitsev was brought to NA as offensive defenceman who has exceptional defensive and shutdown capabilities for an offensive guy. He always was offensive Dman as I remember him from his days in KHL and actually Ozhiganov was defensive partner for him for few years thats why Ozhiganov seems better player than Zaitsev. Oz was always defensive defender while Zaitsev offensive one. His play for national team at last IIHF World championship was exceptional and he was ppg player. Why? He was paired with two-way guys on his LHD side. He has become that. The fact that he is paired with wrong guy is true as well. Gardiner has been horrible defensively and actually was never good with Zaitsev. They are both affected by them being together. Zaitsev was paired with Rielly in first year of his NHL career and was 36 point or so guy. He is that and I actually see him (if not traded) being paired with Dermott next year which would help him getting his offence into place.
TH13 liked this.
Jan. 3, 2019 at 2:10 p.m.
Godfried
Leafs fans think the hedman one is fair probably lol. Zaitsev is garbage

And you are the drunk one lol. Cause gudas is worth more than zaitsev. Oh leafs fans you are funny
Jan. 3, 2019 at 2:25 p.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
Quoting: Carter_G
Leafs fans think the hedman one is fair probably lol. Zaitsev is garbage

And you are the drunk one lol. Cause gudas is worth more than zaitsev. Oh leafs fans you are funny

Nobody thinks thats fair lol. In what parallel universe is Gudas worth more than Zaitsev LMAO?!
Jan. 3, 2019 at 3:26 p.m.
Its correct! Im not happy with the term but also Zaitsev was brought to NA as offensive defenceman who has exceptional defensive and shutdown capabilities for an offensive guy. He always was offensive Dman as I remember him from his days in KHL and actually Ozhiganov was defensive partner for him for few years thats why Ozhiganov seems better player than Zaitsev. Oz was always defensive defender while Zaitsev offensive one. His play for national team at last IIHF World championship was exceptional and he was ppg player. Why? He was paired with two-way guys on his LHD side. He has become that. The fact that he is paired with wrong guy is true as well. Gardiner has been horrible defensively and actually was never good with Zaitsev. They are both affected by them being together. Zaitsev was paired with Rielly in first year of his NHL career and was 36 point or so guy. He is that and I actually see him (if not traded) being paired with Dermott next year which would help him getting his offence into place.

Then it seems safe to say, its D partners more so than him? Yes the term is a year or two too much, who did that Lou Lams, sounds like him! But he will be what 33/34 at the end? That's not ancient!
Jan. 4, 2019 at 7:30 a.m.
Godfried
Nobody thinks thats fair lol. In what parallel universe is Gudas worth more than Zaitsev LMAO?!

In all parallel and the current universe
Jan. 4, 2019 at 10:12 a.m.
Dwight_Schrute

Its actually pretty easy to look at a stat sheet and their contracts and know that Gudas has more value than Zaitsev man...
Jan. 4, 2019 at 11:05 a.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
Quoting: Smitty426
Then it seems safe to say, its D partners more so than him? Yes the term is a year or two too much, who did that Lou Lams, sounds like him! But he will be what 33/34 at the end? That's not ancient!

I hope he gets good again because he has good skills to be succesful.. I feel like if we trade him to whichever team in league he is going to explode.
Jan. 4, 2019 at 5:07 p.m.
I hope he gets good again because he has good skills to be succesful.. I feel like if we trade him to whichever team in league he is going to explode.

If he goes to a team looking for Defensive D its a bonus if he gets going offensively!
Other than the term (up at 33) its not horrible, you guys got use to his first year here huh?
Feb. 20, 2019 at 9:38 a.m.
Brown is a swiss army knife . 20 goals possible on middle 6. Great PK man. Good puck digger on the boards and in the corners. Very sound defensibly and good back checker. Zaits is harder to move for sure. I would like to see him on a new pairing though before I gave up on him. Don't think you can move him right now without taking a hit anyways.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll