Forums/Armchair-GM

The only TDL trade we should make

Created by: tomkinoo
Team: 2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 9, 2019
Published: Jan. 9, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Whether you agree with the value of this deal or not, my point is that we shouldn't be giving up too many top quality futures in a blockbuster deal. The shanaplan is about being good for a long period of time, and once the core is locked up this summer for 6-8 years it will be about using these futures to fill those roster spots for cheap.

And realistically giving up high quality futures for a Edler/Tanev/Kronwall caliber player just isn't worth it, does the upgrade of Tanev over Hainsey on the first unit suddenly make us better then Tampa, absolutely not.

Jensen gives us a slight upgrade and would cost us at most a 3rd rounder.

Anything can happen in hockey, so we still have a slight chance of beating Tampa this year, but if we keep our futures, and play our cards right, I could almost guarantee that we will be a better team than Tampa in 2-4 years. And compete with them every year until then.

My one exception might be Hamilton though, if we could get Hamilton for Kapanen, Lilgren, 1st and 3rd I'd do it(which I know is very unlikely). Only for him since he's 25, has a low cap hit for a few years , is a true top pairing defensemen and will be for years to come. Parayko is simililar but I don't think St Louis would trade him without Nylander being apart of the deal, Carolina is more of a wild card because of their hockey illiterate owner forcing their Gms arm
Trades
DET
  1. Holl, Justin
  2. 2019 5th round pick (TOR)
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$79,500,000$77,048,611$2,550,000$5,400,000$2,451,389
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$787,500$787,500
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
C
UFA - 1
$10,277,778$10,277,778
RW
UFA - 6
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 7
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
UFA - 1
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$863,333$863,333
RW
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, C
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 4
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$812,500$812,500
RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,050,000$4,050,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 6
$675,000$675,000
G
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 2
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 9, 2019 at 2:54 p.m.
I like your trade. Kronwall is another guy I would look at for a rental. Wouldn't cost much, lots of experience, and would be an upgrade on D. Not a big Hamilton fan personally, He has been traded twice now in his career and there have been some red flags raised about him. If an impact D is on the table, id be looking at guys like Slavin, Pesce, one of Philly's D, Tanev, something like that. But I like your Jensen trade, cheap, effective D-man.
Jan. 9, 2019 at 3:13 p.m.
It's a small point, but defensemen go for more than that. Jensen plays 20:45 a night. That will cost a 2nd.
GenXHockey liked this.
Jan. 9, 2019 at 3:14 p.m.
Tanev can be effective
Jan. 9, 2019 at 3:23 p.m.
The main theme, which I agree with, is the leafs are likely better off trading mid picks/b-prospects for depth on defence...not sending 1sts/top prospects/current young roster players in a blockbuster type deal

My only caveat would be if, between now and the TDL, Nylander has his game back on track and there’s a sense Kapanen/Johnsson are looking for bigger paydays next year than can reasonably be fit...I’m okay parting with one of them in a package for a d-man with term on a good contract
GenXHockey liked this.
Jan. 9, 2019 at 3:48 p.m.
holy moly
Quoting: Juice
The main theme, which I agree with, is the leafs are likely better off trading mid picks/b-prospects for depth on defence...not sending 1sts/top prospects/current young roster players in a blockbuster type deal

My only caveat would be if, between now and the TDL, Nylander has his game back on track and there’s a sense Kapanen/Johnsson are looking for bigger paydays next year than can reasonably be fit...I’m okay parting with one of them in a package for a d-man with term on a good contract

This is not the way to think. This is the last year of ELC on marner and Matthews. This year is the best shot you’ll have for the next 4 years. You guys need to trade for very good defense.
Jan. 9, 2019 at 4:00 p.m.
Quoting: LetsGoBlues18
This is not the way to think. This is the last year of ELC on marner and Matthews. This year is the best shot you’ll have for the next 4 years. You guys need to trade for very good defense.

Respectfully disagree. Why blow your load on one year and sacrifice several others in the future?

I don’t accept that this is the best chance the Leafs will have to win a cup with this core. IMO, they may take a step back next year with Gardiner and Hainsey being replaced by Marlies...but two years from now you’ll have the same core, still very much in their primes, top defensive prospects hopefully ready to contribute, and cap space to maneuver with
GenXHockey liked this.
Jan. 9, 2019 at 4:14 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Respectfully disagree. Why blow your load on one year and sacrifice several others in the future?

I don’t accept that this is the best chance the Leafs will have to win a cup with this core. IMO, they may take a step back next year with Gardiner and Hainsey being replaced by Marlies...but two years from now you’ll have the same core, still very much in their primes, top defensive prospects hopefully ready to contribute, and cap space to maneuver with

I think the other thing to keep in mind is that yes a small step back replacing Gardiner and hainsey but a step forward in development with all young players. Especially guys like dermott Johnsson and kappy who will all have their first full nhl seasons under their belt. Even an older player like ozhiganov playing his first nhl season will certainly be more prepared for next season. Even seen a bit of growth from gauthier this season.
Jan. 9, 2019 at 4:22 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
I agree with what you are saying (besides Hamilton, no thank you). Depth moves are more than likely what we will see. Don’t like the idea of bumping out Ozzy but it’s much better than the prospect of an injury in the playoffs and having to move in Holl or marincin.
tomkinoo liked this.
Jan. 9, 2019 at 4:23 p.m.
The Leafs are in a bit of a predicament. On the one hand, the fan base and analysts have been calling for a upgrade to be made on the defensive core for two years now. It hasn't been addressed - to date - and we all know what happened against Boston last year in the playoffs.

On the other hand, Tampa made a huge swing last year acquiring JT Miller and Ryan McDonaugh, and it got them within one game of the Cup finals but not all the way there. Granted - they are an absolutely wagon this year and are more experienced for another run with those pieces added.

So what does Toronto do? They need to get out of the first round of the playoffs to start, and I think that will happen. However, without a significant add or two by the TDL I don't see Toronto beating Tampa unless a key injury occurs to Tampa (Vasilevsky or Hedman or Kucherov, etc.). Should Toronto be patient like Tampa has been and keep adding and have continued regular season and some playoff season success (but no cups since 2003-2004) or do they show the fan base they can make a run with the cap space they have? It'll be interesting to see what transpires...
tomkinoo and GenXHockey liked this.
Jan. 9, 2019 at 4:53 p.m.
Quoting: littlejerryseinfeld
It's a small point, but defensemen go for more than that. Jensen plays 20:45 a night. That will cost a 2nd.

I would be fine giving up a second. Seems to be this teams MO at the deadline only instead of trading for a 4th line centre they're trading for a bottom 4 defenseman.
Jan. 9, 2019 at 5:35 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: rush5154
The Leafs are in a bit of a predicament. On the one hand, the fan base and analysts have been calling for a upgrade to be made on the defensive core for two years now. It hasn't been addressed - to date - and we all know what happened against Boston last year in the playoffs.

On the other hand, Tampa made a huge swing last year acquiring JT Miller and Ryan McDonaugh, and it got them within one game of the Cup finals but not all the way there. Granted - they are an absolutely wagon this year and are more experienced for another run with those pieces added.

So what does Toronto do? They need to get out of the first round of the playoffs to start, and I think that will happen. However, without a significant add or two by the TDL I don't see Toronto beating Tampa unless a key injury occurs to Tampa (Vasilevsky or Hedman or Kucherov, etc.). Should Toronto be patient like Tampa has been and keep adding and have continued regular season and some playoff season success (but no cups since 2003-2004) or do they show the fan base they can make a run with the cap space they have? It'll be interesting to see what transpires...

With the cap issues we are facing next season I think it’s more wise to wait and see what we have in defence next season. It will be just as easy to trade a player who is signed next year as it is to trade rfa rights this season.

I think it’s unfair to put the blame solely on the defence last year. Digging that hole in the first round was a team effort.
rush5154 liked this.
Jan. 9, 2019 at 6:17 p.m.

Every year in hockey, there’s at least 5-6 teams who are considered cup contenders. A lot of times any of the 16 teams that qualify have a punchers chance.

Would it be overly surprising to anyone if Nashville, San Jose, Winnipeg, Tampa, Vegas, Washington, Pittsburgh or Toronto won?

All have great teams, all have some warts.

In a hypothetical universe, let’s say San Jose puts Karlsson on the block and the Leafs can pick him up for a first, Sandin and Kapanen (troll disclaimer: no, I don’t think EK is available nor would that offer be near enough.). Would the leafs adding EK to their blue line guarantee anything?

Would it make them head and shoulders above Tampa who they’d have to get past in the 2nd round at the earliest?

No. There’s never any guarantees. I’m hard pressed to think of any MAJOR deadline acquisition that catapulted a team from ‘one of the contenders’ to Cup champs.

Maybe Bourque to Colorado? Avalanche were already a cup favourite but that’s the only example that comes to mind.

IMO, deadline is best for adding complimentary and depth pieces to an already good team, or for restructuring teams to offload vets for futures. Not for contending teams to sell the farm to add a stud in hopes the few weeks you have him for get you a ring.
tomkinoo and rush5154 liked this.
Jan. 10, 2019 at 10:22 a.m.
Every year in hockey, there’s at least 5-6 teams who are considered cup contenders. A lot of times any of the 16 teams that qualify have a punchers chance.

Would it be overly surprising to anyone if Nashville, San Jose, Winnipeg, Tampa, Vegas, Washington, Pittsburgh or Toronto won?

All have great teams, all have some warts.

In a hypothetical universe, let’s say San Jose puts Karlsson on the block and the Leafs can pick him up for a first, Sandin and Kapanen (troll disclaimer: no, I don’t think EK is available nor would that offer be near enough.). Would the leafs adding EK to their blue line guarantee anything?

Would it make them head and shoulders above Tampa who they’d have to get past in the 2nd round at the earliest?

No. There’s never any guarantees. I’m hard pressed to think of any MAJOR deadline acquisition that catapulted a team from ‘one of the contenders’ to Cup champs.

Maybe Bourque to Colorado? Avalanche were already a cup favourite but that’s the only example that comes to mind.

IMO, deadline is best for adding complimentary and depth pieces to an already good team, or for restructuring teams to offload vets for futures. Not for contending teams to sell the farm to add a stud in hopes the few weeks you have him for get you a ring.

All great points you've raised here.

You're right, there's no guarantee and the current playoff format will - again - eliminate a top 6 team in the second round.

In terms of previous adds that may have put a contending team over the top, Carter and Gaborik to LA gave them some finishing abilities and speed, respectively, in addition to their heavy play style. Other than that - I think you're right modernly speaking. Martin St.Louis to NYR didn't guarantee a win, neither did adding Eric Staal a few years later. Rick Nash to Boston didn't guarantee a win. Iginla to Pittsburgh didn't guarantee a win.

My only critique would be that the Leafs have done this small, depth adds for two years in a row now. First with Boyle, then with Pleckanec. Neither of these moves addressed the defense and neither of these moves allowed them to get out of the first round. Maybe if Carolina falls out of the playoff race (they've won 5 in a row however) the Leafs can meet somewhere in the middle. Acquire a 3-4 defenceman on cap certainty for picks, prospects and maybe one roster player. But, even that may be unattainable if the Leafs have to sacrifice winger depth like Johnsson or Kapanen.
Juice liked this.
Jan. 10, 2019 at 10:35 a.m.
All great points you've raised here.

You're right, there's no guarantee and the current playoff format will - again - eliminate a top 6 team in the second round.

In terms of previous adds that may have put a contending team over the top, Carter and Gaborik to LA gave them some finishing abilities and speed, respectively, in addition to their heavy play style. Other than that - I think you're right modernly speaking. Martin St.Louis to NYR didn't guarantee a win, neither did adding Eric Staal a few years later. Rick Nash to Boston didn't guarantee a win. Iginla to Pittsburgh didn't guarantee a win.

My only critique would be that the Leafs have done this small, depth adds for two years in a row now. First with Boyle, then with Pleckanec. Neither of these moves addressed the defense and neither of these moves allowed them to get out of the first round. Maybe if Carolina falls out of the playoff race (they've won 5 in a row however) the Leafs can meet somewhere in the middle. Acquire a 3-4 defenceman on cap certainty for picks, prospects and maybe one roster player. But, even that may be unattainable if the Leafs have to sacrifice winger depth like Johnsson or Kapanen.

Agreed. I hated the Plekanec deal last year. Boyle I didn't mind as much and he filled more holes. And I agree with the LAK trade assessment too.

I think where Dubas is in the biggest bind is Marner. I love the kid but he's likely handcuffing the Leafs right now. He's pretty much refusing to sign an extension in-season and everything I know about him and his camp tells me that they want Matthews to sign first so they can piggyback off his number the way Draisatl did with McDavid. On the other hand...I think Matthews' camp is sitting there waiting for the leafs to offer a deal as they care much less about what number Marner comes in at.

This is significant because I don't think Dubas wants to sacrifice any major futures for a deadline rental. If M&M numbers come in on the high end...those futures will be more valuable as you need bodies that can contribute on ELC's. I think Dubas would love to get in on talks for Pietrangelo...and probably has already done so...but without knowing the cap hit for M&M, can't take on the risk of adding another contract for next season. That's why I think it's safer to stay away from bigger trade deals this TDL...take your lumps next year with what will probably be a lower skilled d-group, and re-group the following year. Marner getting signed to a reasonable contract before this year's TDL would change everything, IMO
rush5154 liked this.
Jan. 10, 2019 at 11:59 a.m.
Agreed. I hated the Plekanec deal last year. Boyle I didn't mind as much and he filled more holes. And I agree with the LAK trade assessment too.

I think where Dubas is in the biggest bind is Marner. I love the kid but he's likely handcuffing the Leafs right now. He's pretty much refusing to sign an extension in-season and everything I know about him and his camp tells me that they want Matthews to sign first so they can piggyback off his number the way Draisatl did with McDavid. On the other hand...I think Matthews' camp is sitting there waiting for the leafs to offer a deal as they care much less about what number Marner comes in at.

This is significant because I don't think Dubas wants to sacrifice any major futures for a deadline rental. If M&M numbers come in on the high end...those futures will be more valuable as you need bodies that can contribute on ELC's. I think Dubas would love to get in on talks for Pietrangelo...and probably has already done so...but without knowing the cap hit for M&M, can't take on the risk of adding another contract for next season. That's why I think it's safer to stay away from bigger trade deals this TDL...take your lumps next year with what will probably be a lower skilled d-group, and re-group the following year. Marner getting signed to a reasonable contract before this year's TDL would change everything, IMO

You're right - I think the Leafs thought Marner would be good, but not this good so early in his career. Marner's camp may also wait and see what Rantanen and Laine sign for, as they're both right wingers. Last summer my mindset was, Nylander will sign for 6-6.5 million AAV, Marner 7-7.5 AAV, and Matthews 11 AAV. Well lol - I highly doubt that is going to happen. Nylander signed for 7 (essentially), Matthews will get 11.5-12 AAV and Marner will probably look for 10 million. So, as you said, that extra 2-3 million that Marner is asking for - and may likely get - handcuffs the Leafs ability to be aggressive on the trade and free agent markets. They'll have to subtract some pieces - yes Marleau gone after next season helps - but then Reilly will be up, so will Kadri and Freddie Andersen, and then the problem restarts. Not an envious position to be in if you're Dubas.
Jan. 10, 2019 at 12:33 p.m.
Notice whichever team wins the Presidents Trophy the last few years get a out in the second round? Bad spot to be in apparently. And regular season success has nothing to do with post season success

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll