Forums/Armchair-GM

Trade Deadline and leading up to it NJD WPG VAN STL DAL

Created by: MajesticWalrus
Team: 2018-19 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 13, 2019
Published: Jan. 13, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Solidifies our future centres and gives us more than one option at centre too. Improves the available scratched forwards and AHL call ups. Leaves extra cap room for next season. We have more draft picks to improve our prospect pool.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$888,888
Trades
PIT
  1. 2019 3rd round pick (ANA)
  2. 2019 6th round pick (NJD)
Additional Details:
The 3rd is conditional and could be moved to 2020 and to a later round depending on their performance
PIT
  1. Calderone, Tony
  2. Faksa, Radek
  3. 2020 3rd round pick (DAL)
VAN
  1. Simon, Dominik
  2. 2019 2nd round pick (PIT)
PIT
  1. Kyrou, Jordan
  2. 2021 5th round pick (STL)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the STL
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$79,500,000$75,965,834$0$982,500$3,534,166
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$734,167$734,167 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 7
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$1,475,000$1,475,000
RW, LW, C
UFA - 1
$9,500,000$9,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
$6,800,000$6,800,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
$3,750,000$3,750,000
LW
UFA - 3
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$2,200,000$2,200,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
NTC
UFA - 5
$650,000$650,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$750,000$750,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
UFA - 5
$7,250,000$7,250,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
$3,750,000$3,750,000
G
UFA - 2
$794,167$794,167
LD
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$675,000$675,000
G
UFA - 1
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$2,137,500$2,137,500
LD/RD
UFA - 3
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$800,000$800,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 13, 2019 at 7:56 a.m.
Banned
Dallas fans apparently have no interest in Maatta for Faska Personally I think it's a fair deal but whatever.

There is no way NJ takes that trade.
Have no interest in the Winnipeg trade.
They give up way more than they get back. At best I would consider Myers for Brass straight up. No more. I'm not giving them a 2nd. Nor do I want to give up a decent back up d man to get scraps back on the back end of the trade.
The Vancouver trade might be an over payment.
And according to blues fans Kyrou Jordan is a "top prospect in the whole NHL" so good luck with that. Even though Jarry is probably the more useful player for them if he can keep developing into an NHL level goalie. He played decent last year in his 26 games with a .908 average. But that isn't going to win you a starting job anywhere. But make's him a decent back up at this point. Maybe he turns into more with more NHL experience. He's better than Allen that's for sure but if I was the Blues I would probably play Binnington and see what he can do. He hasn't looked too bad.
If you really want Kyrou just wait till next year. If they call him up and he plays as bad as he did this year you'll be able to get him for almost nothing. This is his 3rd year, next year is his 4th year on waivers. Only one more after that which is why he'll be gone off that team soon if he sucks it up next year. They will get what they can before the waivers runs out if they don't think he can make the main team.
MajesticWalrus liked this.
Jan. 13, 2019 at 9:40 a.m.
Quoting: pharrow
Dallas fans apparently have no interest in Maatta for Faska Personally I think it's a fair deal but whatever.

They give up way more than they get back. At best I would consider Myers for Brass straight up. No more. I'm not giving them a 2nd. Nor do I want to give up a decent back up d man to get scraps back on the back end of the trade.
And according to blues fans Kyrou Jordan is a "top prospect in the whole NHL" so good luck with that. Even though Jarry is probably the more useful player for them if he can keep developing into an NHL level goalie. He played decent last year in his 26 games with a .908 average. But that isn't going to win you a starting job anywhere. But make's him a decent back up at this point. Maybe he turns into more with more NHL experience. He's better than Allen that's for sure but if I was the Blues I would probably play Binnington and see what he can do. He hasn't looked too bad.
If you really want Kyrou just wait till next year. If they call him up and he plays as bad as he did this year you'll be able to get him for almost nothing. This is his 3rd year, next year is his 4th year on waivers. Only one more after that which is why he'll be gone off that team soon if he sucks it up next year. They will get what they can before the waivers runs out if they don't think he can make the main team.

What? This is Kyrous first year in the AHL/NHL. He has a long time before he is will need to be sent through waivers. That trade is lopsided in favor on the pens anyway.
Jan. 13, 2019 at 10:05 a.m.
Trading 6 starters off a 21 man roster sounds like a terrible plan.
Jan. 13, 2019 at 10:25 a.m.

Time to hang'm up bud, it's getting embarrassing
Jan. 13, 2019 at 10:41 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: boats22
What? This is Kyrous first year in the AHL/NHL. He has a long time before he is will need to be sent through waivers. That trade is lopsided in favor on the pens anyway.

https://www.capfriendly.com/waivers-calculator/jordan-kyrou

this is year 3. Next year is year 4. and the year after that is year 5. As much as you think you have forever......You don't.
Which is why if he isn't playing well by next year, you can see the writing on the wall because the year after is his last year waiver free. You can't just ping pong him up and down forever.
You should really look it up before opining.
Jan. 13, 2019 at 10:41 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Turner33
Time to hang'm up bud, it's getting embarrassing

You are embarrassing. Troll away little goof.
Jan. 13, 2019 at 10:47 a.m.
Edited Jan. 13, 2019 at 11:25 a.m.
You are embarrassing. Troll away little goof.

I'm not spewing BS I don't know sh*t about...... And who's really trolling here? I'm just calling a spade a spade, lil buddy
Jan. 13, 2019 at 11:15 a.m.
Sam

Kyrou made a deep team out of camp and really was only sent down to get top line minutes instead of 8 a game. When Kyrou was sent down, the Rampage were 2-9-0. Since then, they are 18-9-1 and Kyrou has been a point a game player with the longest point streak in team history. He’s 20 so he’s gonna have a lot of chances to stick in the NHL before they trade him for a cap dump and a mediocre goalie.
Jan. 13, 2019 at 11:26 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Turner33
I'm not spewing BS I don't know sh*t about...... And who's really trolling here? I'm just calling a spade a spade, lil buddy

bye little goof
Jan. 13, 2019 at 12:06 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: STLBlues17
Kyrou made a deep team out of camp and really was only sent down to get top line minutes instead of 8 a game. When Kyrou was sent down, the Rampage were 2-9-0. Since then, they are 18-9-1 and Kyrou has been a point a game player with the longest point streak in team history. He’s 20 so he’s gonna have a lot of chances to stick in the NHL before they trade him for a cap dump and a mediocre goalie.

he got sent down because his possession numbers were awful. You can't skate around on the ice at the NHL level with a 39% corsi expect to suit up. So please, lets be honest about it.
His play away from the puck was bad. It was not a good showing on his part by any means of that matter. He was a weak link on his line.
If he had even passenger level play they would have kept him on the team. He didn't. So please lets not come up with fairy tale reasons as to why he was sent down. A lot of the 4th liners in the NHL have more skill than those 1st liners in the AHL. So it has nothing to do with getting "experience." Believe me, they would have loved for him to go out there shoot the puck a bunch and scored goals. Hell they would have found more ice time for him if he did. But you have to actually earn it. You have to make your own breaks. He didn't, wasn't even close.
He needs to be coached up, hand held and taught how to play because it clearly was not going to work out how it was going and at the NHL level they just don't have time for that. That's why he is in the AHL. Hell if anyone listened to you he was amazing on the ice and only got sent down to get more time. What a crock. If he played well they would have found him more time.
Jan. 13, 2019 at 12:48 p.m.
Sam
he got sent down because his possession numbers were awful. You can't skate around on the ice at the NHL level with a 39% corsi expect to suit up. So please, lets be honest about it.
His play away from the puck was bad. It was not a good showing on his part by any means of that matter. He was a weak link on his line.
If he had even passenger level play they would have kept him on the team. He didn't. So please lets not come up with fairy tale reasons as to why he was sent down. A lot of the 4th liners in the NHL have more skill than those 1st liners in the AHL. So it has nothing to do with getting "experience." Believe me, they would have loved for him to go out there shoot the puck a bunch and scored goals. Hell they would have found more ice time for him if he did. But you have to actually earn it. You have to make your own breaks. He didn't, wasn't even close.
He needs to be coached up, hand held and taught how to play because it clearly was not going to work out how it was going and at the NHL level they just don't have time for that. That's why he is in the AHL. Hell if anyone listened to you he was amazing on the ice and only got sent down to get more time. What a crock. If he played well they would have found him more time.

Tough to look good when you’re playing 8 minutes a game with Ivan Barbashev (one of the worst corsi numbers in the league.) To be honest, corsi doesn’t mean crap because Barbashev has been super consistent in both zones. And yeah, if he lit the world on fire he would have stayed in the NHL for sure, but you make it seem like he was and is a terrible player who’s never gonna make it. In fact, the 2nd time he was called up they sent him down a game after his 1st career goal. Obviously you want your 20 year old rookie playing 1st line minutes in the AHL and destroying that league than struggling in the NHL. I’d be concerned if he was middling in the AHL, but he’s not. He made the AHL all star game and missed 11 games and has propelled his team from last in the league to contending for a playoff spot. It’s funny that we’re having this argument because guess who was called up today.
Jan. 13, 2019 at 1:01 p.m.
https://www.capfriendly.com/waivers-calculator/jordan-kyrou

this is year 3. Next year is year 4. and the year after that is year 5. As much as you think you have forever......You don't.
Which is why if he isn't playing well by next year, you can see the writing on the wall because the year after is his last year waiver free. You can't just ping pong him up and down forever.
You should really look it up before opining.

Dude, this is literally his FIRST year of his contract. Not year three. What are you smoking? Do you not know that contracts slide if they are playing for their junior teams?
Turner33 liked this.
Jan. 13, 2019 at 1:50 p.m.
Banned
Tough to look good when you’re playing 8 minutes a game with Ivan Barbashev (one of the worst corsi numbers in the league.) To be honest, corsi doesn’t mean crap because Barbashev has been super consistent in both zones. And yeah, if he lit the world on fire he would have stayed in the NHL for sure, but you make it seem like he was and is a terrible player who’s never gonna make it. In fact, the 2nd time he was called up they sent him down a game after his 1st career goal. Obviously you want your 20 year old rookie playing 1st line minutes in the AHL and destroying that league than struggling in the NHL. I’d be concerned if he was middling in the AHL, but he’s not. He made the AHL all star game and missed 11 games and has propelled his team from last in the league to contending for a playoff spot. It’s funny that we’re having this argument because guess who was called up today.

I never said he couldn't be a good player. He clearly has some level of talent. Many players that didn't work out clearly had talent. But doing something with it is much harder. No where will you have seen me type that he can't develop into a good player. But lets be clear. From what he has done so far, he isn't there. I have only stated what he has done, and that if he continues to play that way that he will be on the trade block because they can't wait forever on him while he plays like that and because they will make that decision quick as the waiver time will be running out in 2 more years. I don't know why you have an issue with that. You can't stay in the NHL without having a complete game and you aren't a "top prospect" without one. You can't struggle away from the puck. Unless you are a 70+ point winger you can't not play defense well. Even then you are going to P.O. your coach. Go ask Kessel. Kyrou still needs to figure out how to play because he isn't even close to being a 70 point winger. It doesn't matter where they are put in the line up. If you are a good player it will be clear by what you are doing on the ice. It will show on the stats sheet in numbers like corsi because your line won't be a joke. No one expects a 60% corsi. But can you get close to 50 and be respectable. Especially when you get 53% of your starts in the O zone. And that is not 4th line time by the way it's more like 3rd liner time. If you want to see 4th line time go look at ZARs stats. 70% starts in the D zone at 5v5 playing against better players trying to score. But yet he still manages to get his corsi at least close to 50% and net a few points. Which is why he's still on the Penguins and Sprong is long gone. And if Kyrou doesn't want the same fate he better figure it out. But you aren't seeing him put those numbers up. Instead you see the numbers suck. Which is exactly why if they continue to suck, he'll be gone.
Jan. 13, 2019 at 2:01 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: boats22
Dude, this is literally his FIRST year of his contract. Not year three. What are you smoking? Do you not know that contracts slide if they are playing for their junior teams?

Waivers are measured from the time you sign your contract. It does not slide. You don't get to keep a player on waivers till they are 26.
I don't know where you even come up with this stuff. Hell I gave you the calculator on this site that shows he has 2 more years after this one.

I guess you have a hard time realizing you don't get to develop a player forever. Crap or get off the pot. Teams ain't waiting on you forever. And they aren't developing a player so some other team can steal them. You either make a team by 22, are an AHL level player or you are trade because if they call you up and you are decent but they won't play you. Someone else will. It's that simple.
Jan. 13, 2019 at 2:14 p.m.
Sam
I never said he couldn't be a good player. He clearly has some level of talent. Many players that didn't work out clearly had talent. But doing something with it is much harder. No where will you have seen me type that he can't develop into a good player. But lets be clear. From what he has done so far, he isn't there. I have only stated what he has done, and that if he continues to play that way that he will be on the trade block because they can't wait forever on him while he plays like that and because they will make that decision quick as the waiver time will be running out in 2 more years. I don't know why you have an issue with that. You can't stay in the NHL without having a complete game and you aren't a "top prospect" without one. You can't struggle away from the puck. Unless you are a 70+ point winger you can't not play defense well. Even then you are going to P.O. your coach. Go ask Kessel. Kyrou still needs to figure out how to play because he isn't even close to being a 70 point winger. It doesn't matter where they are put in the line up. If you are a good player it will be clear by what you are doing on the ice. It will show on the stats sheet in numbers like corsi because your line won't be a joke. No one expects a 60% corsi. But can you get close to 50 and be respectable. Especially when you get 53% of your starts in the O zone. And that is not 4th line time by the way it's more like 3rd liner time. If you want to see 4th line time go look at ZARs stats. 70% starts in the D zone at 5v5 playing against better players trying to score. But yet he still manages to get his corsi at least close to 50% and net a few points. Which is why he's still on the Penguins and Sprong is long gone. And if Kyrou doesn't want the same fate he better figure it out. But you aren't seeing him put those numbers up. Instead you see the numbers suck. Which is exactly why if they continue to suck, he'll be gone.

That just seems like a redundant argument. Obviously if he’s 22 and can’t stay in the NHL he’ll be traded or waived, but his production at every level would say that that’s probably not likely. Obviously some players tear up the AHL and go on to be busts, but not many are doing it at age 20. Sure it happened to Sprong, but he was a one-tool, supplemental player with a bad attitude and really was never considered a top prospect like Kyrou was/is. Pretty much all of the trustworthy prospect people have had him I’m their top 25 prospects going into the year. So yes, if Kyrou keeps playing bad in his call-ups for the next two years, the Blues will trade him, but the eye test and numbers say that won’t happen.
Jan. 13, 2019 at 4:08 p.m.
Banned
That just seems like a redundant argument. Obviously if he’s 22 and can’t stay in the NHL he’ll be traded or waived, but his production at every level would say that that’s probably not likely. Obviously some players tear up the AHL and go on to be busts, but not many are doing it at age 20. Sure it happened to Sprong, but he was a one-tool, supplemental player with a bad attitude and really was never considered a top prospect like Kyrou was/is. Pretty much all of the trustworthy prospect people have had him I’m their top 25 prospects going into the year. So yes, if Kyrou keeps playing bad in his call-ups for the next two years, the Blues will trade him, but the eye test and numbers say that won’t happen.

I love how people say someone they never met has a bad attitude. Or how a player with a great shot and smooth skating skill was a one tool player. I mean really did you see those games Kyrou was in at the NHL level. If Sprong was a 1 tool player, he didn't have a single tool in his box.

At some point you have to stop reading click bait. He's a 2nd round pick. 34 other picks passed him by, that isn't a top prospect. Every year there are 30 players drafted in the first round. At some point the wore out over used phrase of top prospect by every writer trying to hype up players for a fan base is just old. It's like listening to Mel Kiper talk about how every player drafted in the 4th round is a 1st round talent. But he's a "draft expert." Dear Diary, no one cares. If he was that high of a prospect he'd been picked earlier and be doing something with it by now. But he wasn't.

And yes, when you are drafted the expectation is to come into the AHL and play well at 20. You know, that's exactly how you get promoted up. It's not come to the AHL and take your time. But it doesn't mean if you do that you will do anything once you get to the NHL. Funny thing about the NHL. Unlike the CHL which is filled with kids who will never lace up again, and the AHL, which is filled with mostly with guys who will never make it to the NHL. In the NHL the majority of the players are just as fast and talented as everyone else. You can no longer get by on just pure talent unless you are like top 5 draft player. Seems lots of people don't realize that. That why all the Mel Kiper "top prospects" never really pan out there for some "crazy" reason. But they look really well playing against those Will O'Neill or Kevin Czuczman's of the AHL. Gee what a surprise they can score on them! Give them a medal for scoring on the Tom Sesstito's of the AHL.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll