Forums/Armchair-GM

Nurse is a top pairing d man now

Created by: kailer_memeamoto
Team: 2018-19 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 17, 2019
Published: Jan. 17, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
never thought i'd see it happen, but with all these young d prospects coming in, someone will have to get traded.
Trades
EDM
  1. 2019 4th round pick (DAL)
EDM
  1. Schlemko, David
  2. 2019 3rd round pick (MTL)
Additional Details:
Oilers take on the cap of schlemko (though it's already buried in the minors) and the habs get a decent #4-5 d man, which the oilers already have in jones/russell
EDM
    waived
    NYR
    1. Kassian, Zack
    2. Maksimov, Kirill
    3. 2019 1st round pick (EDM)
    4. 2019 3rd round pick (NYI)
    Buyouts
    Buried
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    24$79,500,000$81,835,331$0$2,800,000-$2,335,331
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
    $3,100,000$3,100,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 2
    $12,500,000$12,500,000
    C
    UFA - 8
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
    RW
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the New York Rangers
    $4,625,000$4,625,000
    LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $8,500,000$8,500,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 7
    $894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$230,000$230K)
    RW
    RFA - 3
    $5,250,000$5,250,000
    LW, RW
    NMC
    UFA - 5
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    LW, C
    UFA - 3
    $650,000$650,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $675,000$675,000
    LW, C
    UFA - 1
    $1,150,000$1,150,000
    C
    UFA - 2
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $3,200,000$3,200,000
    LD
    UFA - 2
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    LD/RD
    NMC
    UFA - 3
    $4,166,666$4,166,666
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $4,167,000$4,167,000
    LD
    UFA - 5
    $4,166,666$4,166,666
    RD
    UFA - 3
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    G
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    LD/RD
    NMC
    UFA - 3
    $720,000$720,000 (Performance Bonus$70,000$70K)
    LD/RD
    UFA - 2
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $1,900,000$1,900,000
    RD
    UFA - 2
    Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
    $2,100,000$2,100,000
    LD
    UFA - 2
    $800,000$800,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $675,000$675,000
    C
    RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jan. 17, 2019 at 12:42 p.m.
    MK458
    I assume Jones will get sent down once Klefbom is healthy. He's played well, but we can send him down without waivers, and he's definitely a little sloppy still
    kailer_memeamoto liked this.
    Jan. 17, 2019 at 12:45 p.m.
    Tspky
    rangers do not take that trade. if kreider was a pure rental it's still a lowish offer, but he has a full year left on his deal.
    Jan. 17, 2019 at 12:46 p.m.
    Habs don’t really need a RD man. Have plenty of 3rd pairing type of dmen.
    Jan. 17, 2019 at 12:47 p.m.
    Banned
    Outside of Bouchard, what young D prospects are you referring too? Edmonton has one of the weakest prospect pools in the league! Fire the GM hire Mark Hunter and aim for being in the playoffs in 3 seasons.
    Jan. 17, 2019 at 1:21 p.m.
    rip
    Quoting: Spanky227
    rangers do not take that trade. if kreider was a pure rental it's still a lowish offer, but he has a full year left on his deal.

he's a quick, 50-60 point guy. They're getting a top 20 pick and a top 9 fwd prospect. If you look at the ask for most other similar players, this is pretty close
    Jan. 17, 2019 at 1:23 p.m.
    Quoting: LoganOllivier
    Outside of Bouchard, what young D prospects are you referring too? Edmonton has one of the weakest prospect pools in the league! Fire the GM hire Mark Hunter and aim for being in the playoffs in 3 seasons.

Bouchard, Jones, Bear, Lagesson, Persson, Samorukov all good defensive prospects. The defensive prospect pool is pretty good, the forwards not so much (Yamamoto, Benson, Safin, Maksimov).
    kailer_memeamoto liked this.
    Jan. 17, 2019 at 1:25 p.m.
    rip

you really are blind. that's one of the stupidest things i've read all day. Yamamoto, Bouchard are decent blue chip prospects. Tons of late round steals in skinner, rodrigue, maksimov, samorukov, bear, jones recently. Benson leads all AHL rookies in assists at 20 years old. Puljujarvi really is the only one not working out, and the drafting used to suck, but it's looking up.
    Jan. 17, 2019 at 1:27 p.m.
    I don't think the cap space works on any of this unless Sekera stays on the LTIR plus I don't think anyone is trading for Manning, doubt he'd even be picked up off waivers. The Petrovic Schlemko deal seems a bit farfetched as well, can't see the Oiler's flipping him so quickly just to end up with a bad contract.

I think there is something there on the Kreider deal but needs more salary going to NYR.
    Jan. 17, 2019 at 1:28 p.m.
    rip
    Quoting: bwar
    I don't think the cap space works on any of this unless Sekera stays on the LTIR plus I don't think anyone is trading for Manning, doubt he'd even be picked up off waivers. The Petrovic Schlemko deal seems a bit farfetched as well, can't see the Oiler's flipping him so quickly just to end up with a bad contract.

I think there is something there on the Kreider deal but needs more salary going to NYR.

Maybe spooner is added ontop? He fit in well a year ago with the rangers
    bwar liked this.
    Jan. 17, 2019 at 1:34 p.m.
    Quoting: roosroos
    Maybe spooner is added ontop? He fit in well a year ago with the rangers

That's a tough sell, might be able to swing it if you retain just enough to make the numbers work.
    Jan. 17, 2019 at 1:39 p.m.
    Banned
    Bouchard, Jones, Bear, Lagesson, Persson, Samorukov all good defensive prospects. The defensive prospect pool is pretty good, the forwards not so much (Yamamoto, Benson, Safin, Maksimov).

Bouchard and Bear are the only guys mentioned who aren't B level or lower. Hire Mark Hunter.
    Jan. 17, 2019 at 1:44 p.m.
    Bouchard and Bear are the only guys mentioned who aren't B level or lower. Hire Mark Hunter.

Caleb Jones seems to at that level and is in the NHL right now. Samorukov was just at the world Juniors for Russia. Lagesson having a very good first season in the AHL. And Persson posting his second very good campaign in Sweden. Defense prospect pool is just fine.
    Jan. 17, 2019 at 1:46 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: roosroos
    you really are blind. that's one of the stupidest things i've read all day. Yamamoto, Bouchard are decent blue chip prospects. Tons of late round steals in skinner, rodrigue, maksimov, samorukov, bear, jones recently. Benson leads all AHL rookies in assists at 20 years old. Puljujarvi really is the only one not working out, and the drafting used to suck, but it's looking up.

If you have so many blue chip prospects, why does TSN have you ranked with zero guys in the top 50 affiliated prospects? I know Button is a bit of a tool and Bouchard probably deserves being on there but Yamamoto isn't that good and the rest aren't great either. Its easy to see someone as valuable when he's the best you have but if the best isn't all that great to begin with, then the rest aren't superstars either. Listen man, I really want the Oilers to be a good team, I love McDavid and the city needs a winner. With that being said, I am also not going to sugar coat the situation there. The team isn't near good enough. They've drafted exceptionally poorly, have made a tonne of bad trades and signings and ownership and upper management have zero idea how to succeed in the current era of hockey we are in.

So instead of getting angry because someone says something negative about your team and in turn verbally attacking someone for saying something you don't like, try taking a deep breath step back from the picture and try to see the whole thing. Really dude, the Oilers are struggling to make the playoffs in a really poor division in the weaker of the two conferences. Vancouver should absolutely not be in a playoff race, but they are because the Pacific is so weak and after the top 4 teams in the Central, there isn't much there either. Don't settle for being a playoff team, demand better from your management team. Get someone who has the intelligence to pick the right players to succeed in this day and age of the NHL. Chiarelli is the worst and his bosses all want to make the playoffs because they are idiots who don't understand hockey anymore.
    Jan. 17, 2019 at 1:49 p.m.
    Banned
    Caleb Jones seems to at that level and is in the NHL right now. Samorukov was just at the world Juniors for Russia. Lagesson having a very good first season in the AHL. And Persson posting his second very good campaign in Sweden. Defense prospect pool is just fine.

I totally understand what you are thinking here, and one of those guys could very well hit, but in reality out of that list Bouchard is the one guy with a high probability of being an impact player. Bear looks pretty okay as well but Jones looks like a depth guy. Most of the prospects on any team will sign their ELC's and 3 years later be gone, mainly because the jump from the AHL, or Sweden or the OHL to the NHL is massive!

Edmonton doesn't need a bunch of okay prospects, they've had okay prospects for the past decade and only a couple guys picked outside of the 1st round have seen NHL action. You definitely need a better scouting staff and management team.
    Jan. 17, 2019 at 1:58 p.m.
    I totally understand what you are thinking here, and one of those guys could very well hit, but in reality out of that list Bouchard is the one guy with a high probability of being an impact player. Bear looks pretty okay as well but Jones looks like a depth guy. Most of the prospects on any team will sign their ELC's and 3 years later be gone, mainly because the jump from the AHL, or Sweden or the OHL to the NHL is massive!

Edmonton doesn't need a bunch of okay prospects, they've had okay prospects for the past decade and only a couple guys picked outside of the 1st round have seen NHL action. You definitely need a better scouting staff and management team.

I might be out of the loop but how many teams have better defensive prospect pools than Edmonton? I'm sure we aren't the best but I'd be surprised if we aren't in the top 10. Not making that same argument on the offensive side of things but our drafting and development has greatly improved and we finally have players starting to trickle into the NHL from outside the first round. This has been a huge issue in Edmonton that is slowly being corrected. Jones is likely in the NHL permanently, drafted in the fourth round, Khaira is a very important player on the roster and still improving, third round pick. Our scouting staff was terrible for the better part a decade and now they are improved greatly. Our management is the biggest joke in the league but we do have actual development happening finally.
    Jan. 17, 2019 at 2:07 p.m.
    Banned
    I might be out of the loop but how many teams have better defensive prospect pools than Edmonton? I'm sure we aren't the best but I'd be surprised if we aren't in the top 10. Not making that same argument on the offensive side of things but our drafting and development has greatly improved and we finally have players starting to trickle into the NHL from outside the first round. This has been a huge issue in Edmonton that is slowly being corrected. Jones is likely in the NHL permanently, drafted in the fourth round, Khaira is a very important player on the roster and still improving, third round pick. Our scouting staff was terrible for the better part a decade and now they are improved greatly. Our management is the biggest joke in the league but we do have actual development happening finally.

All it takes is 1 player to be ranked higher than Bouchard and that team has a better defensive prospect pool than the Oilers. Vancouver, Chicago, Colorado, Tampa, Nashville, Carolina, Calgary, Islanders, Philly, Toronto a ways ahead of Edmonton and if you take out Bouchard, it gets much worse.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll