Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jan. 17, 2019 at 9:49 p.m.
Trade confirmed: Buffalo Sabres - Philadelphia Flyers
Trade Details
Buffalo Sabres Acquire:
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
Taylor Leier · $0$720,000$720,000 (AHL/JR)
Sum: $0$720,000$720,000
Change: $0
Change: +$5,000
Change: +$720,000
Philadelphia Flyers Acquire:
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
Justin Bailey · $0$715,000$70,000 (AHL/JR)
Sum: $0$715,000$70,000
Change: $0
Change: -$5,000
Change: +$70,000
Jan. 17, 2019 at 9:58 p.m.
Banned
Holy s**t, another blockbuster from Fletcher...bunch of worthless trades is all this guy knows how to do. Well that and sign guys to super long contracts for a bunch of money. At least the NHL saw that nonsense and put a stop to it.

Why do I feel like we have a 8 year x $8.5 mil contract coming to Simmonds?
Jan. 17, 2019 at 10:04 p.m.
Quoting: DirtyDangles
Holy s**t, another blockbuster from Fletcher...bunch of worthless trades is all this guy knows how to do. Well that and sign guys to super long contracts for a bunch of money. At least the NHL saw that nonsense and put a stop to it.

This deal likely allows Weise or Lehtera to go to the ahl since Leier counts toward the ahl veteran maximum.
rebecca liked this.
Jan. 17, 2019 at 11:47 p.m.
Quoting: Dmh1055
This deal likely allows Weise or Lehtera to go to the ahl since Leier counts toward the ahl veteran maximum.

That’s a good point. That said the Flyers could send Lehtera-Weise down at any time, they just can’t ice them all at the same time. But this move does create space as Bailey is under the 320gp cut-off. They’re opposite shots, Bailey is a year younger. Both players seemed to be on the outs in terms of NHL opportunities with their respective organization so it’s most fundamentally a “change of scenery” move. Fair deal.
Jan. 18, 2019 at 4:09 a.m.
It's good housekeeping for new GMs to clear the decks on some prospects who are dominant AHL, but need to earn a NHL roster spot.
Development time is over for these two. NHL or bust. Flyers got the bigger player between two mostly evenly matched players.
Jan. 18, 2019 at 4:44 a.m.

Comments like this annoy me to no end. Why do you think that trading a depth guy for another depth guy is worthless? Bailey is relatively young and from what I heard from the Sabres fans, he has been pretty solid when called up, but never got a fair shot. And even if he doesn't get to play for the Flyers, LHV has been struggling in the last couple of weeks and he improves them.

Your evaluation of Fletcher is just inaccurate as he made several very good trades over his career. The Parise and especially the Suter contracts are not that bad, he just got unlucky with Parise's injuries.

Seriously, what do you want him to do? Trade Giroux? Provorov? Gostisbehere? Trade Voracek just to get rid of his contract? Come on. The Simmonds trade is coming.
msekkes, GeraltofRivia, Caufzi and 2 others liked this.
Jan. 18, 2019 at 8:37 a.m.
Crazy
As a buffqalo fan im a little disapointed never was a big fan of Bailey though
Jan. 18, 2019 at 9:30 a.m.
SOS...Same Old Sabre
It is interesting to me, as the Sabres are somewhat backlogged at RW with Reinhart, Okposo, Pominville, Thompson as well as Nylander, Simpson and likely O'Regan also on that side and being just as productive as Bailey. Even with Pominville out next year, Bailey wasn't getting the nod.

Now at LW, after Skinner it gets much less interesting with Sobotka, Sheary, Larsson Girgensons and Elie. I wonder if flipping the wing in Rochester allows the big team to get a look at Olofsson in Buffalo or to bring Smith back full time. Reality is, LW and C is where guys will break in next year or two and Olofsson, Asplund, Oglevie, Smith are the guys.

I still think that should the team not improve and stay where it is standings wise...fighting for an 8th seed and one and done playoff appearance...we should be sellers again at the deadline and move a few depth guys who a real contender would appreciate. Girgensons has value as a PK and bottom 6 guy who won't hurt you at a low $ hit and can play all 3 spots in a pinch. McCabe is another guy I'd think a contender might value in a 6/7 role down the stretch.
Jan. 18, 2019 at 11:22 a.m.
Banned
Edited Jan. 18, 2019 at 12:20 p.m. by Jarvis
Quoting: Radovan
Comments like this annoy me to no end. Why do you think that trading a depth guy for another depth guy is worthless? Bailey is relatively young and from what I heard from the Sabres fans, he has been pretty solid when called up, but never got a fair shot. And even if he doesn't get to play for the Flyers, LHV has been struggling in the last couple of weeks and he improves them.

Your evaluation of Fletcher is just inaccurate as he made several very good trades over his career. The Parise and especially the Suter contracts are not that bad, he just got unlucky with Parise's injuries.

Seriously, what do you want him to do? Trade Giroux? Provorov? Gostisbehere? Trade Voracek just to get rid of his contract? Come on. The Simmonds trade is coming.

Lmfao. Leier is the same age and you can say he never got the chance that he should have because he played well when called up. As for Fletcher, Dubnyk and Niederreiter were basically his only good trades. He had many other very bad trades. So no, my assessment of Fletcher is not “innacurrate”!
So sorry hat you are annoyed by truths.
Jan. 18, 2019 at 12:05 p.m.
Crazy
Quoting: yodamage
It is interesting to me, as the Sabres are somewhat backlogged at RW with Reinhart, Okposo, Pominville, Thompson as well as Nylander, Simpson and likely O'Regan also on that side and being just as productive as Bailey. Even with Pominville out next year, Bailey wasn't getting the nod.

Now at LW, after Skinner it gets much less interesting with Sobotka, Sheary, Larsson Girgensons and Elie. I wonder if flipping the wing in Rochester allows the big team to get a look at Olofsson in Buffalo or to bring Smith back full time. Reality is, LW and C is where guys will break in next year or two and Olofsson, Asplund, Oglevie, Smith are the guys.

I still think that should the team not improve and stay where it is standings wise...fighting for an 8th seed and one and done playoff appearance...we should be sellers again at the deadline and move a few depth guys who a real contender would appreciate. Girgensons has value as a PK and bottom 6 guy who won't hurt you at a low $ hit and can play all 3 spots in a pinch. McCabe is another guy I'd think a contender might value in a 6/7 role down the stretch.

Sabres wont sell, they dont have a need to there team is young and has the potentional to be a power hosue
Jan. 18, 2019 at 12:24 p.m.
Lmfao. Leier is the same age and you can say he never got the chance that he should have because he played well when called up. As for Fletcher, Dubnyk and Niederreiter were basically his only good trades. He had many other very bad trades. So no, my assessment of Fletcher is not “innacurrate”!
So sorry hat you are annoyed by truths.

@Dmh1055 I’m not a parasite. It’s not my fault that all your trades are horrific and I am sure many would back me up on that fact. You have the absolute least clue as to a player’s value.

Your thoughts on Fletcher are very interesting. You must have an excellent eye doctor because your Hindsight is 20/20 and no one has that. You should probably see a teacher though because you think it's foresight.

It wouldn't be a dangle post if it didn't include horrific, trash, or some other put down that makes him rise out of Mommy's basement. Figuratively speaking of course.
Jan. 18, 2019 at 2:32 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Why have there been so many trades in the NHL? There's a trade almost every day right now.
Jan. 18, 2019 at 4:04 p.m.
MikeY
Quoting: Dmh1055

No he doesn't. Next year he will (so will Bailey), but neither of them are AHL vets this year.
Jan. 18, 2019 at 4:06 p.m.
MikeY
Quoting: rebecca
That’s a good point. That said the Flyers could send Lehtera-Weise down at any time, they just can’t ice them all at the same time. But this move does create space as Bailey is under the 320gp cut-off. They’re opposite shots, Bailey is a year younger. Both players seemed to be on the outs in terms of NHL opportunities with their respective organization so it’s most fundamentally a “change of scenery” move. Fair deal.

They can send any one player down at any time because they only have 4 AHL vets on the team. Leier wasn't one and Bailey isn't one so this trade doesn't effect that situation at all.
Jan. 18, 2019 at 4:55 p.m.
Quoting: MikeY
They can send any one player down at any time because they only have 4 AHL vets on the team. Leier wasn't one and Bailey isn't one so this trade doesn't effect that situation at all.

They can have 5/6/7 vets (>320 pro games) but only dress 4 per night (plus a 5th with up to 280gp). I was going off what the OP said regarding Leier being over that threshold, I didn’t crunch the numbers in that regard. But if you’re right then this discussion is moot.
Jan. 18, 2019 at 5:58 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Why have there been so many trades in the NHL? There's a trade almost every day right now.

It's never a bad thing to have trades.
Jan. 20, 2019 at 1:21 a.m.
Retired V2 V3 GM
Leier sucks. Easy win for Philly.
Jan. 21, 2019 at 11:07 a.m.
MikeY
Quoting: rebecca
They can have 5/6/7 vets (>320 pro games) but only dress 4 per night (plus a 5th with up to 280gp). I was going off what the OP said regarding Leier being over that threshold, I didn’t crunch the numbers in that regard. But if you’re right then this discussion is moot.

They can dress up to 6 AHL vets (AHL vet = 260 or more games played in NHL + AHL + KHL + SHL) per night, but one of them has to be under 320 games.
rebecca liked this.
Jan. 21, 2019 at 12:26 p.m.
Quoting: MikeY
They can dress up to 6 AHL vets (AHL vet = 260 or more games played in NHL + AHL + KHL + SHL) per night, but one of them has to be under 320 games.

Thanks, that’s much more clear than what I wrote.
Jan. 21, 2019 at 1:23 p.m.

God I can only hope

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit