SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/GM Game 2018-19

Depth Charts Beta

Jan. 21, 2019 at 3:17 p.m.
Follow capfriendly
Hey GMs,

If any of you are interested in trying out our incoming depth charts tool, let me know here and I will send you an invite!

Where we are really interested in feedback is the time-on-ice analysis method.

Also, like last time, I will be using the infraction system to send you the invite, so don't get alarmed when the popup comes.
ricochetii, A_K, rangersandislesfan and 4 others liked this.
Jan. 21, 2019 at 3:31 p.m.
SEA GM v5
Quoting: Banks
Hey GMs,

If any of you are interested in trying out our incoming depth charts tool, let me know here and I will send you an invite!

Also, like last time, I will be using the infraction system to send you the invite, so don't get alarmed when the popup comes.

Sure, I'd be down to try it.
Banks liked this.
Jan. 21, 2019 at 3:57 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Hit me up as well please. smile
Banks liked this.
Jan. 21, 2019 at 4:40 p.m.
Lets Go Blues
Hey GMs,

Sounds cool, I'll try it out.
Banks liked this.
Jan. 21, 2019 at 4:49 p.m.
May contain nuts
Hey GMs,

Pick me! Pick me!
Banks liked this.
Jan. 21, 2019 at 5:07 p.m.
V5 PHI GM and BOG
Hey GMs,

Please
Banks liked this.
Jan. 21, 2019 at 5:27 p.m.
GM - Canucks
Hey GMs,

I would love a chance to test it!

Thanks in advance you guys!
Banks liked this.
Jan. 21, 2019 at 5:48 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Hey GMs,

I'll try it
Banks liked this.
Jan. 21, 2019 at 6:53 p.m.
Can I try, I promise to use it this time unlike the vegas draft
Banks liked this.
Jan. 21, 2019 at 7:19 p.m.
Hey GMs,

I'd love to give it a look. Thanks!
Banks liked this.
Jan. 22, 2019 at 8:07 a.m.
CFGM Game Moderator
Hey GMs,

I too would like to look it over.
Thank you for offering us the opportunity.
Banks liked this.
Jan. 22, 2019 at 10:24 a.m.
Follow capfriendly
Thanks all, let us know what you think, especially regarding the TOI analysis section, we're looking for feedback!
Jan. 22, 2019 at 11:03 a.m.
Go Habs Go
Montreal:
Analysis shows Line 2 as having higher average ice time together, but the players on Line 3 have a higher individual sum of ice time.
It's not that it is "wrong", but it differs from the depth projection and from IRL, and "looks" wrong based on the numbers shown to the user.
Line 2: AVG 12:07 / 15:42 + 14:19 + 15:13
Line 3: AVG 10:43 / 15:27 + 16:16 + 16:02

If you want to keep it simple for casual viewers, I'd probably remove the individual TOI and/or the numbering of the lines. If you want a more in depth view, I'd suggest additional information to account for the differences (individual percentage of ice time spent with those linemates, number of shifts, separate tab for line/individual numbers, etc). Pittsburgh shows Crosby as "Line 3". That's going to either look inaccurate or require some sort of explanation if it's presented that way.
If the goal is to show "depth", you could maintain the order from the roster projection and/or forego the numbering of the lines, in the analysis section. Since the top 2 lines generally have players on special teams or taking extra shifts with different linemates, ordering by the amount of time they spend with their actual linemates can skew the ordering of the lines.
------

I'm trying to decide if the GP/G/A/P out of games has any merit to displaying. If the point is to order players/lines by usage, only their games with their current team matter, and I feel like that's evident enough that it doesn't need to be included for the viewer. It might be a better use of that space to show ice time breakdowns for individual players, AVG TOI, # of Shifts, PPTOI, SHTOI, perhaps even a rolling average to show if their usage is trending up or down.
------

I've only gone through a couple of teams so far, so I'll check some more and try to go through them all eventually and let you know if there's anything else.
What's the update frequency on the stats? I'll take a look before/during/after as well if it's live or updates at a decent hour.
Jan. 22, 2019 at 6:25 p.m.
NBABound
I'd be down to try it out if it's still available. Obrigado.
Banks liked this.
Jan. 23, 2019 at 2:12 a.m.
Emotionally in 2018
I’m in
Banks liked this.
Jan. 23, 2019 at 3:25 p.m.
Follow capfriendly
Quoting: ricochetii
Montreal:
Analysis shows Line 2 as having higher average ice time together, but the players on Line 3 have a higher individual sum of ice time.
It's not that it is "wrong", but it differs from the depth projection and from IRL, and "looks" wrong based on the numbers shown to the user.
Line 2: AVG 12:07 / 15:42 + 14:19 + 15:13
Line 3: AVG 10:43 / 15:27 + 16:16 + 16:02

If you want to keep it simple for casual viewers, I'd probably remove the individual TOI and/or the numbering of the lines. If you want a more in depth view, I'd suggest additional information to account for the differences (individual percentage of ice time spent with those linemates, number of shifts, separate tab for line/individual numbers, etc). Pittsburgh shows Crosby as "Line 3". That's going to either look inaccurate or require some sort of explanation if it's presented that way.
If the goal is to show "depth", you could maintain the order from the roster projection and/or forego the numbering of the lines, in the analysis section. Since the top 2 lines generally have players on special teams or taking extra shifts with different linemates, ordering by the amount of time they spend with their actual linemates can skew the ordering of the lines.
------

I'm trying to decide if the GP/G/A/P out of games has any merit to displaying. If the point is to order players/lines by usage, only their games with their current team matter, and I feel like that's evident enough that it doesn't need to be included for the viewer. It might be a better use of that space to show ice time breakdowns for individual players, AVG TOI, # of Shifts, PPTOI, SHTOI, perhaps even a rolling average to show if their usage is trending up or down.
------

I've only gone through a couple of teams so far, so I'll check some more and try to go through them all eventually and let you know if there's anything else.
What's the update frequency on the stats? I'll take a look before/during/after as well if it's live or updates at a decent hour.

This is excellent feedback, exactly what we are looking for, thank you for the detailed response.

Stats will be updated daily is the current plan
Gronk, ricochetii and Mr_cap liked this.
Jan. 23, 2019 at 4:14 p.m.
Hey GMs,

hmu Banks. I'm free next week to give a review
Banks liked this.
Jan. 23, 2019 at 4:58 p.m.
Hey GMs,

I'd like a crack at this too, please.

Thanks for the info on more of what CapFriendly is up to! Keep it up!
Banks and Luc3 liked this.
Jan. 23, 2019 at 5:08 p.m.
Yeah I'd definitely like to try this out
Banks liked this.
Jan. 24, 2019 at 1:37 a.m.
NBABound
Like Rico stated, the lines either need to be in order (Matthews is shown on the 3rd line but is played on the 1st/2nd) or explained why they are sorted that way (ie. TOI, etc.). As well as identifying who the actual center is for each line for the casual viewer or for someone that doesn't follow a team regularly to know who takes more shifts at center. For example, the positions of each player are stated but they are in different order. On the 1st line as shown, Tavares plays C and is at the top with beneath him being Marner and Hyman. On the 2nd line you have Marleau at the top (who mostly plays wing) with beneath him are Kapanen and Kadri (the actual C), etc. I haven't checked out if its the same for other teams but it would cause less confusion for a nonfollower imo.

A side note - the scoreboard only shows the winning teams score (4 TOR - TBL). Not sure if those were your intentions but I was a bit confused by that at first haha.

@Banks
Jan. 24, 2019 at 5:14 p.m.
Follow capfriendly
Quoting: Mr_cap
Like Rico stated, the lines either need to be in order (Matthews is shown on the 3rd line but is played on the 1st/2nd) or explained why they are sorted that way (ie. TOI, etc.). As well as identifying who the actual center is for each line for the casual viewer or for someone that doesn't follow a team regularly to know who takes more shifts at center. For example, the positions of each player are stated but they are in different order. On the 1st line as shown, Tavares plays C and is at the top with beneath him being Marner and Hyman. On the 2nd line you have Marleau at the top (who mostly plays wing) with beneath him are Kapanen and Kadri (the actual C), etc. I haven't checked out if its the same for other teams but it would cause less confusion for a nonfollower imo.

A side note - the scoreboard only shows the winning teams score (4 TOR - TBL). Not sure if those were your intentions but I was a bit confused by that at first haha.

@Banks

The order of the players is listed by their TOI, but agreed being more explicit on positions would definitely be beneficial.

The score issue was a bug and is now fixed ?

Thanks for the feedback!
TMLSage, Pross and Mr_cap liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll