SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(TOR/LAK) - Grundström, Durzi and 2019 1st round pick for Muzzin

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jan. 28, 2019 at 8:05 p.m.
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
They still aren't better than TB BUT, they might be able to edge Boston now in the 1st round

Sorry but the East is so tight, that even with Muzzin i can't give them a convincing edge over anybody.
Jan. 28, 2019 at 8:06 p.m.
Fair deal for me. This was going to be the asking price for Muzzin this year.
I dont mind losing Grundstrom and the 1st, but I think trading away durzi is going to look bad on them in a few years when they are still looking for a decent puck moving rhd.
WentWughes
Quoting: The_Architect
Sorry but the East is so tight, that even with Muzzin i can't give them a convincing edge over anybody.

It's a very big add for Toronto IMO. It's the only true spot they are lacking. But your right, I can't give them a clear edge over any teams in the East
Jan. 28, 2019 at 8:07 p.m.
Kyle from Chicago
This tells me this is going to be a sellers market come TDL.
Jan. 28, 2019 at 8:08 p.m.
Quoting: Capitalfail67
Muzzin is now the best dman in the nhl

factually accurate
Capitalfail67 liked this.
WentWughes
Quoting: Stan_Bowman
This tells me this is going to be a sellers market come TDL.

It's actually a buyers market right now according to TSN
Quoting: brian123
I dont mind losing Grundstrom and the 1st, but I think trading away durzi is going to look bad on them in a few years when they are still looking for a decent puck moving rhd.

look no further then 2017 1st round pick Timothy Liljegren
Jan. 28, 2019 at 8:09 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: brian123

Isn't durzi a LHD?
Hmm, guess not. Either way Liljegren is the name you are looking for.
Rielly and Dermott also play rd
Jan. 28, 2019 at 8:11 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: Bf3351
Rebuild aren't fun when you don't need one. Dude, Kings core was just top 5 in each of their position just LAST SEASON. You don't rebuild not even a full season after that... it's common sense. What are our issues? Our core is great, hmm.... Maybe it's because their linemates are **** and don't help them. Big mistake here.

Per Rob Blake

'This is a move that obviously prepares for the future and going forward.'

We're at the bottom of the league. We made this deal for the future of the organization going forward...I expect our guys from the first day back to come to work every day.'

'First-round pick was an important part' of the return for Muzzin.

'We're looking at a lot of different options...Moves will be made for the future of the organization."

'There are active calls going on. Not sure it's much different from any other time.'

We are actively looking at making moves for the future of the organization.

It's gonna be a full blown rebuild
Jan. 28, 2019 at 8:11 p.m.
Kyle from Chicago
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
It's actually a buyers market right now according to TSN

Yeah but TSN? Lol
Jan. 28, 2019 at 8:12 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Good trade for Toronto, just because of how much better it makes them. LA wins the trade though because they get better value.
Jan. 28, 2019 at 8:13 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: Stan_Bowman
Yeah but TSN? Lol

Better than nobody at all lol
Jan. 28, 2019 at 8:17 p.m.
Big John T
29 yo
never been a top pairing guy
left shot
1.3 seasons left under contract @ 4 mil
oof

1st round pick could have been enough
2018 52nd oa right shot D should have been enough

but all that + Grundstrom?

The only thing I can think of is that this price will look cheap compared to what comes at the deadline, and the Leafs absolutely cannot afford another 1st round disappointment
Jan. 28, 2019 at 8:17 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: EthanK24
Good trade for Toronto, just because of how much better it makes them. LA wins the trade though because they get better value.

I don't see how anyone "won" this deal, as it gave up assets neither team really needed at this point in time for assets they do need.

La is tanking, so they don't need Muzzin

Leafs are in win now mode, so they don't need durzi who has no shot of making the team in the next few years due to being buried under other prospects.
Grundstrom is the same story in that the leafs have 2 guys who are similar and have higher ceilings (grundstrom is Hyman 2.0 at best)

And a late 1st. (25-31).

So for Toronto it is a late first for Muzzin in terms of actual value lost.

For la it is 1 year of a guy going a different direction to the org for futures, one who might step in next year (grundstrom).

Seems fair to me no?
Jan. 28, 2019 at 8:18 p.m.
Majors and minors
muzzin helps the Leafs true... <.50 ppg this season? Grund wasn't going to be used, Durzi could be a surprise.... he c/B A big surprise, plus Toronto's 1st round pick. I followed Durzi part of last year.
Jan. 28, 2019 at 8:21 p.m.
Quoting: EthanK24

You're overrating their improvement. TO can easily fall in wildcard spot and face TB. Almost every team will make moves before TDL and cancel out TO's "improvement".
Jan. 28, 2019 at 8:26 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: tatatavares
29 yo
never been a top pairing guy
left shot
1.3 seasons left under contract @ 4 mil
oof

1st round pick could have been enough
2018 52nd oa right shot D should have been enough

but all that + Grundstrom?

The only thing I can think of is that this price will look cheap compared to what comes at the deadline, and the Leafs absolutely cannot afford another 1st round disappointment

Muzzin used to be paired with Doughty on the top line and should have been this whole time. He's a beast and you'll see soon enough. I hate the trade from a life long kings fan point of view.
Jan. 28, 2019 at 8:27 p.m.
Rebuild aren't fun when you don't need one. Dude, Kings core was just top 5 in each of their position just LAST SEASON. You don't rebuild not even a full season after that... it's common sense. What are our issues? Our core is great, hmm.... Maybe it's because their linemates are **** and don't help them. Big mistake here.

So who do you trade to make the team better? There's almost nothing left in the cupboard, you're at the bottom of the league, and your core is aging and declining.
Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Jan. 28, 2019 at 8:37 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: Random2152
I don't see how anyone "won" this deal, as it gave up assets neither team really needed at this point in time for assets they do need.

La is tanking, so they don't need Muzzin

Leafs are in win now mode, so they don't need durzi who has no shot of making the team in the next few years due to being buried under other prospects.
Grundstrom is the same story in that the leafs have 2 guys who are similar and have higher ceilings (grundstrom is Hyman 2.0 at best)

And a late 1st. (25-31).

So for Toronto it is a late first for Muzzin in terms of actual value lost.

For la it is 1 year of a guy going a different direction to the org for futures, one who might step in next year (grundstrom).

Seems fair to me no?

I think that the trade is pretty fair. I just think that Toronto gave up more than Muzzin is worth, but even still it’s a good trade for them. So I’d say that both teams win, LA just wins more.
Jan. 28, 2019 at 8:39 p.m.
Question for some Kings fans if ya don't mind.

A couple weeks ago I read that Muzzin has been having a great year (playing much better than his average season).

They also noted that he's been as valuable to the team as Doughty this year (possibly more valuable).

I have no idea if this is true and don't really know his skill set .... what's the good word?

Rams for the win.
Jan. 28, 2019 at 8:39 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: The_Architect
You're overrating their improvement. TO can easily fall in wildcard spot and face TB. Almost every team will make moves before TDL and cancel out TO's "improvement".

Maybe. But Toronto just adressed a glaring need, whereas other teams can get better, but won’t be addressing needs as large as Toronto’s need for defense.
Jan. 28, 2019 at 8:44 p.m.
Big John T
Muzzin used to be paired with Doughty on the top line and should have been this whole time. He's a beast and you'll see soon enough. I hate the trade from a life long kings fan point of view.

I could become an NHLer just by being on a pairing with Drew Doughty. Muzzin is past his peak, and he owes his spot in the lineup to the Kings having no prospects since Pearson + Toffoli. I don't think there is any uncertainty about what we'll get from him -- a few good years in a spot and time where it makes a material difference.

In terms of value. I would have rather paid the same and gotten Dante Fabbro's rights from Nashville, or Adam Fox's rights from Carolina (2 NCAA players), if this were the only trade the Leafs make before the deadline.

I'm not ripping the deal, nor Muzzin. It's just the price in the market, and an acknowledgment that Dubas will be looking under the couch cushions just to find enough to get past Boston in the first round.
The only way this is a smart move for the Leafs is if we also sell Gardiner, and buy a RHD that will probably cost more than Muzzin
Jan. 28, 2019 at 8:52 p.m.
TOLA5760
I wonder what's the next domino to fall in LA?

Someone needs to jump on Toffoli now, good contract and can quietly put in 30. Carolina should be all over him too
Jan. 28, 2019 at 9:31 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: bowentyler96
Honestly a solid trade on both ends. Toronto's defense was an empty wasteland and a first/two prospects with some upside isn't a bad return for a team looking to tank anyway.

How can you call the Leafs defence an empty wasteland? Kings have "name" Dmen., and where has it got them recently. Leafs and Tampa have identical GAA, but somehow Leafs are perceived as terrible defensively.

So the Leafs add Muzzin who likely nudges Ozzie from the starting six. Hardly game changing at all for the Leafs.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit