Forums/Armchair-GM

Serious Question

Created by: brian123
Team: 2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 29, 2019
Published: Jan. 29, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
If I move Nathan Horton and Tyler Ennis to IR to get to the 23 man roster, it shows that the leafs are over the cap by 1.4 million. On the main page the leafs are listed as having 4 million in cap space still available. I think it has something to do with the potential performance bonuses. I thought the leafs had to keep Horton off LTIR this year to avoid carryover, but by not putting Horton on LTIR, they seem to be over the cap. Is this correct? Are the leafs currently not cap compliant as the roster shows below?
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$79,500,000$80,911,111$2,550,000$5,400,000-$1,411,111
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 7
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
UFA - 1
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
C
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
RW
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$10,277,778$10,277,778
RW
UFA - 6
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, C
UFA - 1
$787,500$787,500
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 4
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,050,000$4,050,000
LD
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
G
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 6
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 1
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 2
$650,000$650,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 29, 2019 at 7:18 p.m.
Horton is on LTIR
Jan. 29, 2019 at 7:19 p.m.
Quoting: shmoeman
Horton is on LTIR

The main page shows him as being on IR only.
Jan. 29, 2019 at 7:32 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Horton is on LTIR

No he is not and he will remain on Ir for the remainder of the season.
Jan. 29, 2019 at 7:33 p.m.
Horton is on LTIR

Quoting: brian123
The main page shows him as being on IR only.

He is only on IR.
They are cap compliant, however this tool doesn't calculate cap space on a prorated basis like the main page does. Their cap space multiplies as the season progresses.
Jan. 29, 2019 at 7:34 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
To answer your question first of all muzzin’s cap hit is about 2m. The other reason is cap hits due to leafs being over the roster limit. Finally nylander’s actual cap hit is pro rated at 6.9m due to the fact that he did not play the first third of the season.
Jan. 29, 2019 at 8:01 p.m.
Quoting: Goulet
He is only on IR.
They are cap compliant, however this tool doesn't calculate cap space on a prorated basis like the main page does. Their cap space multiplies as the season progresses.

At certain points, when playing this cap friendly game, I begin to think I shoulda paid more attention in computer programming, math and many other classes as a younger man..

Thanks for the clarity. I too, have been a bit baffled with that discrepancy today.
Juice and brian123 liked this.
Jan. 29, 2019 at 8:18 p.m.
Edited Jan. 29, 2019 at 8:33 p.m.
On the main page the projected cap space is what the expected cap room will be at the end of the year if the current roster (including injury reserves, call ups etc) does not change from now until the end of the year. It does not take into account current year performance bonuses. The projected cap space of 4 million includes Horton's 5.4 million cap hit.

The current cap space is how much cap (entire year cap of a player) they can add and meet the cap requirement at the end of the year. This cap room does not include potential LTIR reserves. So the leafs current cap space of 11 million does not included Horton's 5.4 million cap hit.

For the record Horton is on the LTIR but by the rules of the CBA is that CAP relief can not take place until there is no CAP room left. re: Horton's CAP hit must use CAP room up first if there is any left so that's why currently his cap hit is being treated as IR rules rather than LTIR rules. It comes down to the programming of this site,

So the order of using CAP room is. Active and IR players first, then LTIR players only up to no CAP room left (Any extra unused LTIR player cap becomes the reserve), and then if room left performance bonus. If there is not enough room for performance bonus then it gets carried over to next years cap.

So using the projected cap space at the end of the season of 4 mil which Horton's cap hit is already included they can pay up to 4 mil in performance bonuses without any carryover.
blowing_the_zone liked this.
Jan. 29, 2019 at 8:30 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: Jamiepo
To answer your question first of all muzzin’s cap hit is about 2m. The other reason is cap hits due to leafs being over the roster limit. Finally nylander’s actual cap hit is pro rated at 6.9m due to the fact that he did not play the first third of the season.

It's actual 1.498 something but I'm just being nit picky here...
Jan. 29, 2019 at 8:34 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: Random2152
It's actual 1.498 something but I'm just being nit picky here...

Yeah I guess so, this season is just flying by lol.
Jan. 29, 2019 at 8:37 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: Gauss
On the main page the projected cap space is what the expected cap room will be at the end of the year if the current roster (including injury reserves, call ups etc) does not change from now until the end of the year. It does not take into account current year performance bonuses. The projected cap space of 4 million includes Horton's 5.4 million cap hit.

The current cap space is how much cap (entire year cap of a player) they can add and meet the cap requirement at the end of the year. This cap room does not include potential LTIR reserves. So the leafs current cap space of 11 million does not included Horton's 5.4 million cap hit.

For the record Horton is on the LTIR but by the rules of the CBA is that CAP relief can not take place until there is no CAP room left. re: Horton's CAP hit must use CAP room up first if there is any left so that's why currently his cap hit is being treated as IR rules rather than LTIR rules. It comes down to the programming of this site,

So the order of using CAP room is. Active and IR players first, then LTIR players only up to no CAP room left (Any extra unused LTIR player cap becomes the reserve), and then if room left performance bonus. If there is not enough room for performance bonus then it gets carried over to next years cap.

So using the projected cap space at the end of the season of 4 mil which Horton's cap hit is already included they can pay up to 4 mil in performance bonuses without any carryover.

Horton is listed as IR as far as I know unless they moved him recently.
Jan. 29, 2019 at 8:41 p.m.

Thanks, Gauss. So, if I'm getting this right, then this means that the leafs, as currently constructed, assuming someone gets sent down or waived, are fine for covering bonuses?? Y/N?

Man, this is a deep rabbit hole. . I think I preferred the Marleau conspiracy..
Jan. 29, 2019 at 8:44 p.m.
Quoting: blowing_the_zone
Thanks, Gauss. So, if I'm getting this right, then this means that the leafs, as currently constructed, assuming someone gets sent down or waived, are fine for covering bonuses?? Y/N?

Man, this is a deep rabbit hole. . I think I preferred the Marleau conspiracy..

The leafs have a potential of paying 5.4 million in performance bonuses if all requirement are met so at the moment there could be up 1.4 million carryover. I doubt all 5.4 million will be payable so they should be OK
Jan. 29, 2019 at 8:45 p.m.
The leafs have a potential of paying 5.4 million in performance bonuses if all requirement are met so at the moment there could be up 1.4 million carryover. I doubt all 5.4 million will be payable so they should be OK

Clarity is a good thing.. thanks!
Jan. 29, 2019 at 8:45 p.m.
Horton is listed as IR as far as I know unless they moved him recently.

I think officially with the NHL he is on the LTIR. CapFriendly has him as IR due the programming of the calculations.
Jan. 29, 2019 at 8:47 p.m.
1. My understanding is that Horton is NOT on LTIR. Nor has he ever been at any time this season.

2. My understanding of the CBA is that, if you do place someone on LTIR for the purposes of raising the cap ceiling, you automatically have to pay all performance bonuses on next year's cap

3. #2 above is why #1 above is occurring

4. The only two players that are on pace to earn performance bonuses are Matthews and Marner. Marner tops out at $850k. Matthews has one bonus that tops out at $850k too but also has a secondary bonus that pays him $2m if he finishes top 10 in the NHL for goals or points per game. He's currently on pace to hit that so leafs needs to account for $3.7m on this year's cap to avoid any bonus carryover

5. The 2018-19 performance bonus figure shown on this site displays the max possible number. It's fluctuated with various Marlie call ups...but essentially matthews, marner, ozhiganov, lindholm and moore. But $3.7 is the key number as no one other than Matthews and Marner are anywhere close to hitting their bonus targets

5. As long as the leafs don't use LTIR...they don't HAVE to pay all performance bonuses this year. It's of course ideal to not carry any over to next year's cap when we have 4 major RFA's to re-sign...but if the leafs finish with $2.7m in cap space and didn't use LTIR....they will carryover just the extra $1m

6. In general...players on IR have their AAV count against the cap...but they don't count against the 23 man roster limit...so teams put players on IR so they can call someone up from the minors. Players placed on LTIR (and there's rules in the CBA that dictate the injury must be diagnosed to put the player out for 10 games or 24 days)...the team is allowed to exceed the cap ceiling essentially by the amount of the injurred player's AAV.

The CBA language is confusing...I've been pouring over it for a few years and discussing with a bunch of guys on here a lot to try and connect the dots....and the above is essentially the conclusion we've all come to adopt
Jan. 29, 2019 at 8:53 p.m.
Quoting: Juice
1. My understanding is that Horton is NOT on LTIR. Nor has he ever been at any time this season.

2. My understanding of the CBA is that, if you do place someone on LTIR for the purposes of raising the cap ceiling, you automatically have to pay all performance bonuses on next year's cap

4. The only two players that are on pace to earn performance bonuses are Matthews and Marner. Marner tops out at $850k. Matthews has one bonus that tops out at $850k too but also has a secondary bonus that pays him $2m if he finishes top 10 in the NHL for goals or points per game. He's currently on pace to hit that so leafs needs to account for $3.7m on this year's cap to avoid any bonus carryover

5. The 2018-19 performance bonus figure shown on this site displays the max possible number. It's fluctuated with various Marlie call ups...but essentially matthews, marner, ozhiganov, lindholm and moore. But $3.7 is the key number as no one other than Matthews and Marner are anywhere close to hitting their bonus targets

5. As long as the leafs don't use LTIR...they don't HAVE to pay all performance bonuses this year. It's of course ideal to not carry any over to next year's cap when we have 4 major RFA's to re-sign...but if the leafs finish with $2.7m in cap space and didn't use LTIR....they will carryover just the extra $1m

6. In general...players on IR have their AAV count against the cap...but they don't count against the 23 man roster limit...so teams put players on IR so they can call someone up from the minors. Players placed on LTIR (and there's rules in the CBA that dictate the injury must be diagnosed to put the player out for 10 games or 24 days)...the team is allowed to exceed the cap ceiling essentially by the amount of the injurred player's AAV.

The CBA language is confusing...I've been pouring over it for a few years and discussing with a bunch of guys on here a lot to try and connect the dots....and the above is essentially the conclusion we've all come to adopt

Ok. It's time for me to tap out.. but I'll read on and try to figure this out.. if i can't, I'm going back to the premise that Marleau conspired with Lou to make everything ok..
Juice liked this.
Jan. 29, 2019 at 8:59 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo

To be honest with the leafs cap space I’m not sure we would get any relief so I think performance bonuses could still be paid. (I am not 100% on that though) It’s a moot point because there is no real reason to put him on ltir if you’re not getting relief.

Do you have a good source to look up specific players performance bonus structure? I have always had a hard time tracking them down (not that I don’t trust your numbers).
Jan. 29, 2019 at 9:07 p.m.
To be honest with the leafs cap space I’m not sure we would get any relief so I think performance bonuses could still be paid. (I am not 100% on that though) It’s a moot point because there is no real reason to put him on ltir if you’re not getting relief.

Do you have a good source to look up specific players performance bonus structure? I have always had a hard time tracking them down (not that I don’t trust your numbers).

Yep. Gimme a sec I need to find the link for the schedule A bonuses. There’s a bunch of categories worth $212,500 each and you can earn a max of 4 of them for a total of $850k. Categories and targets differ based on FW or DEF.

Matthews’ $2m performance B bonus is based on articles from sports writers which I haven’t been able to verify, but the consensus seemed to be top 10 in ppg or Gpg were his most attainable targets.
Jan. 29, 2019 at 9:13 p.m.
Thanks for the explanations everyone, I can see why teams employ "cap specialists" to keep track of this.
Jan. 29, 2019 at 9:15 p.m.
Yep. Gimme a sec I need to find the link for the schedule A bonuses. There’s a bunch of categories worth $212,500 each and you can earn a max of 4 of them for a total of $850k. Categories and targets differ based on FW or DEF.

Matthews’ $2m performance B bonus is based on articles from sports writers which I haven’t been able to verify, but the consensus seemed to be top 10 in ppg or Gpg were his most attainable targets.

It will be harder for Oz to hit his if he is benched the rest of the year lol.
Jan. 29, 2019 at 9:17 p.m.
Quoting: Goulet
He is only on IR.

Yes, I missed that cap space is cumulative and calculated daily, which explains why they are so diligent is sending trevor moore down on off days. I wonder if the choice to trade Leivo over Holl or Marincin also had to do with his cap hit being higher.
Jan. 29, 2019 at 9:18 p.m.
It will be harder for Oz to hit his if he is benched the rest of the year lol.

Haha. He’d need to turn into Paul Coffee to have a shot at it
brian123 liked this.
Jan. 29, 2019 at 9:28 p.m.
Yes, I missed that cap space is cumulative and calculated daily, which explains why they are so diligent is sending trevor moore down on off days. I wonder if the choice to trade Leivo over Holl or Marincin also had to do with his cap hit being higher.

I know i said I'd tap out, but I'm stubborn if nothing else.

Point taken on what you just stated.. I think its why I have a hard time understanding why Moore doesn't stick full time, why Kappy doesnt get pp time and other things.. as much as Babcock is chatged with lineup choices for the best resultsI think there's a constant dialouge around how lineup choices impact current and future budget constraints.

Still holding out hope, if inly for my own credibility, that Patty and Lou had a chat to make things good.. I mean, everybody that Ive ever met from Sask has been savvy.. and you don't need an accounting designation to know that wink
Jan. 29, 2019 at 9:37 p.m.

Ok...turns out my Source is the cba itself: https://cdn.nhlpa.com/img/assets/file/NHL_NHLPA_2013_CBA.pdf

Go straight to Exhibit 5 on page 326
GenXHockey liked this.
Jan. 29, 2019 at 9:41 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Ok...turns out my Source is the cba itself: https://cdn.nhlpa.com/img/assets/file/NHL_NHLPA_2013_CBA.pdf

Go straight to Exhibit 5 on page 326

Perfect, thank you!!!
Juice liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll