RW, LW
UFA - 3
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 7
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
UFA - 1
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
C
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
RW
UFA - 1
$787,500$787,500
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
$3,750,000$3,750,000
C, LW
UFA - 4
Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
$1,850,000$1,850,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, C
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$650,000$650,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 4
Logo of the St. Louis Blues
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
G
UFA - 1
$4,050,000$4,050,000
LD
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
UFA - 1
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 3, 2019 at 2:41 p.m.
Hard Pass from the Blues. Kapanen, Liljegren/Sandin, 1st, and maybe a smaller piece included since your first will be 2020.
SammyT_51 liked this.
Feb. 3, 2019 at 2:43 p.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
Quoting: BeastModeUnknown
Hard Pass from the Blues. Kapanen, Liljegren/Sandin, 1st, and maybe a smaller piece included since your first will be 2020.

Agreed.

Also that CBJ deal is horrendous for the Leafs.
Shylo_Moxii liked this.
Feb. 3, 2019 at 2:45 p.m.
Quoting: SammyT_51
Agreed.

Also that CBJ deal is horrendous for the Leafs.

Anderson is good, but significantly less value than Nylander, and Boone for all I am concerned just puts Toronto in even more of a cap problem.
SammyT_51 liked this.
Feb. 3, 2019 at 2:48 p.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
Anderson is good, but significantly less value than Nylander, and Boone for all I am concerned just puts Toronto in even more of a cap problem.

Yup. I would want Anderson. He is good. But BJ would not be so good.
Feb. 3, 2019 at 3:11 p.m.

An absolute no to both these terrible ideas.
Feb. 3, 2019 at 3:13 p.m.
Quoting: leaflet
An absolute no to both these terrible ideas.

hmmm, well then you can deal without him. You want a 9th in Norris Defenseman you pay for the 9th in Norris Defenseman.
Feb. 3, 2019 at 4:08 p.m.
Banned

Leafs aren't overpaying that much for Pietrangelo. Think realistically what McDonagh and Muzzin both got in return. All are top dman on a struggling team with a year and a half left on their contract. A 1st round pick and 2 B level prospects is more than fair. Sandin and Liljegren are off the table because both would be internal replacements when Pietrangelo would walk as a UFA next summer. Kapanen isn't getting moved for a rental either.
Best offer you get from Toronto is a 1st, Zaitsev, and 2 mid tier prospects. That's more than fair value for Pietrangelo.
Feb. 3, 2019 at 4:23 p.m.
Quoting: jonesryan
Leafs aren't overpaying that much for Pietrangelo. Think realistically what McDonagh and Muzzin both got in return. All are top dman on a struggling team with a year and a half left on their contract. A 1st round pick and 2 B level prospects is more than fair. Sandin and Liljegren are off the table because both would be internal replacements when Pietrangelo would walk as a UFA next summer. Kapanen isn't getting moved for a rental either.
Best offer you get from Toronto is a 1st, Zaitsev, and 2 mid tier prospects. That's more than fair value for Pietrangelo.

Pietrangelo 9th in Norris. If you call that an overpayment good luck getting anyone to take that crap offer with a cap dump in Zaitsev.
Feb. 3, 2019 at 4:26 p.m.

Also Pietrangelo would re-sign because this would be an offseason move, so extension would be included, and 2 Pietrangelo is from Toronto even more of a reason he would want to stay.
Feb. 3, 2019 at 4:39 p.m.
Banned
Pietrangelo 9th in Norris. If you call that an overpayment good luck getting anyone to take that crap offer with a cap dump in Zaitsev.

Also Pietrangelo would re-sign because this would be an offseason move, so extension would be included, and 2 Pietrangelo is from Toronto even more of a reason he would want to stay.

Toronto might not have the cap to resign him. Not gonna give up top prospects for a year rental, Leafs are smarter than that now. This year they have Matthews, Marner, Kapanen, and Johnsson to sign. Realistically on the high end, thats close to $26M. Plus next season they'll have Muzzin, Dermott, Brown, and Bracco who could easily be on the team by then. Not to mention the season after, Rielly, Kadri and Andersen become UFA. Long term, Pietrangleo doesn't fit well with the group. Liljegren will end up being a similar top 4 dman and is quite younger and cheaper. Secondary options can be found and developed to stay under the cap better and build around the core of Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares, Rielly and Andersen.

I understand if you want more for Pietrangelo, but the trade comparables are there. a 1st, and 2 B level prospects is what the market is. McDonagh even signed an extension with Tampa when they got him so that makes his situation even more comparable. You won't get more than that.
Feb. 3, 2019 at 4:40 p.m.

This. It will take at least Kapanen, Liljigren a 1st and another piece or two especially if the Leafs are looking to dump a contract like Zaitsev's. Look at the Mcdonaugh trade between Tampa and NYR last year as a template. Pietrangelo is more valuable then McDonagh. Although and the Leafs wouldn't be able to take on a JT Miller type while also looking to dump Zaitsev's contract. If they were to mirror the NYR/Tampa trade from last year:
Liljigren (I think he is a better prospect then Howden who was either #2 or 3 in Tampa's top 10 last year, although I may have my Leaf glasses on)
Kapanen (On par with Namestikov coming from a life long London Knights Fan)
Adam Brooks (I couldn't find Libor Hajek on any top prospect list and I don't really know much about him. Brooks is the 12th top prospect for Toronto according to leafsnation)
2020 1st round pick (2019 is gone)
2020 2nd round pick (become 1st in 2021 if Toronto wins SC)

For
Pietrangelo (Better than McDonagh)
If Robby Fabbri was better or Jaden Schwarz was worse

As it stands they DO need to add that Cap Dump and they can't afford another forward contract back that doesn't expire at the end of this year. It'd be a tough one to get done. Maybe they don't need to add the conditional 1st/prospect and take back someone like Pat Maroon(another London Knight Alum!) So it would be:
Liljigren, Kapanen, Zaitsev 2020 1st round Pick 2019 3rd round pick

For

Pietrangelo, Maroon

Is that fair or do the Leafs need to add more? I know Maroon has a limited NTC. I tried to follow that trade template from last year. I don't know if Zaitsev is at the place where he has negative value yet but for this trade to work he needs to be traded. Maybe each team could take $1 mil back so the he is only $3.5 mil for the next 5ish years?
Shylo_Moxii liked this.
Feb. 3, 2019 at 5:01 p.m.

I'm a Leafs fan and I disagree. I broke it down above but Pietrangelo is better then both McDonagh & Muzzin and McD cost a 1st, a conditional 2nd, a top prospect and another prospect. In 2017 Howden was Ranked the 79th prospect in NHL according to The Hockey Writers. According to The Sporting News Liljigren is the 41st top NHL prospect.

Using your same logic the trade you proposed is nowhere near close enough to get Pietrangelo, especially if the Leafs are adding the cap dump, which Zaitsev is and a big one for a long time.
Feb. 3, 2019 at 5:22 p.m.
Edited Feb. 3, 2019 at 5:54 p.m.
Quoting: superbrett
This. It will take at least Kapanen, Liljigren a 1st and another piece or two especially if the Leafs are looking to dump a contract like Zaitsev's. Look at the Mcdonaugh trade between Tampa and NYR last year as a template. Pietrangelo is more valuable then McDonagh. Although and the Leafs wouldn't be able to take on a JT Miller type while also looking to dump Zaitsev's contract. If they were to mirror the NYR/Tampa trade from last year:
Liljigren (I think he is a better prospect then Howden who was either #2 or 3 in Tampa's top 10 last year, although I may have my Leaf glasses on)
Kapanen (On par with Namestikov coming from a life long London Knights Fan)
Adam Brooks (I couldn't find Libor Hajek on any top prospect list and I don't really know much about him. Brooks is the 12th top prospect for Toronto according to leafsnation)
2020 1st round pick (2019 is gone)
2020 2nd round pick (become 1st in 2021 if Toronto wins SC)

For
Pietrangelo (Better than McDonagh)
If Robby Fabbri was better or Jaden Schwarz was worse

As it stands they DO need to add that Cap Dump and they can't afford another forward contract back that doesn't expire at the end of this year. It'd be a tough one to get done. Maybe they don't need to add the conditional 1st/prospect and take back someone like Pat Maroon(another London Knight Alum!) So it would be:
Liljigren, Kapanen, Zaitsev 2020 1st round Pick 2019 3rd round pick

For

Pietrangelo, Maroon

Is that fair or do the Leafs need to add more? I know Maroon has a limited NTC. I tried to follow that trade template from last year. I don't know if Zaitsev is at the place where he has negative value yet but for this trade to work he needs to be traded. Maybe each team could take $1 mil back so the he is only $3.5 mil for the next 5ish years?

I think that the above trade equates to Pietrangelo + cap dump for Zaitsev, THREE 1st round picks, a 2nd (potentially ANOTHER 1st), and a 4th?
Only 1 of the firsts should be required (Kapanen, Liljegren or the pick) IMO.
Feb. 3, 2019 at 6:09 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: superbrett
I'm a Leafs fan and I disagree. I broke it down above but Pietrangelo is better then both McDonagh & Muzzin and McD cost a 1st, a conditional 2nd, a top prospect and another prospect. In 2017 Howden was Ranked the 79th prospect in NHL according to The Hockey Writers. According to The Sporting News Liljigren is the 41st top NHL prospect.

Using your same logic the trade you proposed is nowhere near close enough to get Pietrangelo, especially if the Leafs are adding the cap dump, which Zaitsev is and a big one for a long time.

You can sit there and debate who's better between McDonagh and Pietrangelo all day long, and points could be made for both sides. But the fact is that they would both be traded for for the same role, that's a top pairing dman to play the right side (McDonagh did that even though he shoots left) which puts their trade value very similar. When teams make trades, they use comparables all the time. McDonagh trade would be the #1 comparable trade for Pietrangelo.
Zaitsev is not a cap dump. His contract isn't good, but it isn't terrible either. His actually cap hit is fine for what he is, which is a bottom 4 pairing dman. $4.5M for a right handed shooting dman that can play second pairing minutes when the cap keeps rising is well within value. The issue with his contract is the term and if he's going to get any better. If he's put in a better role than he is in Toronto, which would be an offensive guy that leads a PP then no one would complain about his contract. In St. Louis he's have that chance. So saying that he is a strict cap dump, is not true.
As for the McDonagh trade comparison, you're forgetting that J.T Miller was included in that deal going to Tampa Bay who is a very solid top 6 forward. That's where the conditional 1st/2nd came in and the slightly higher prospect. If you wanted that return from Toronto, you'd have to include more than just Pietrangelo. Maybe Robbi Fabri? Not sure with his injury history so maybe a Jaeden Schwartz? Which again would require more salary going from Toronto to St. Louis which could increase the value of the prospects.
If it was just Pietrangelo going to Toronto the facts and conparables are extremely similar:
1) both being acquired to be a top pairing right side dman
2) both have a year and a half left until UFA status
3) both teams moving the players are looking for a retool/rebuild

Plus it's worth taking into consideration Pietrangelo's current cap hit of $6.5M which makes Toronto's cap tighter. When McDonagh was traded, he was only making $4.7M which slightly adds to his value.

However as I said, I don't see Pietrangelo as a fit in Toronto. They'd most likely lose him when he becomes a UFA, and getting Sandin or Liljegren outta Toronto is gonna take an offer that they can't refuse because they'll be the young, fast, cheap, internal options to replace guys that leave in free agency. Leafs have preached patience and development from day 1 that Shanahan was brought it. They'd much rather look at the long term success chances with young guys like Sandin and Liljegren rather than a 1 year window with Pietrangelo. Just can't see it happening. Especially now that they've got Muzzin who is a perfect fit for Toronto
Feb. 3, 2019 at 7:00 p.m.
You can sit there and debate who's better between McDonagh and Pietrangelo all day long, and points could be made for both sides. But the fact is that they would both be traded for for the same role, that's a top pairing dman to play the right side (McDonagh did that even though he shoots left) which puts their trade value very similar. When teams make trades, they use comparables all the time. McDonagh trade would be the #1 comparable trade for Pietrangelo.
Zaitsev is not a cap dump. His contract isn't good, but it isn't terrible either. His actually cap hit is fine for what he is, which is a bottom 4 pairing dman. $4.5M for a right handed shooting dman that can play second pairing minutes when the cap keeps rising is well within value. The issue with his contract is the term and if he's going to get any better. If he's put in a better role than he is in Toronto, which would be an offensive guy that leads a PP then no one would complain about his contract. In St. Louis he's have that chance. So saying that he is a strict cap dump, is not true.
As for the McDonagh trade comparison, you're forgetting that J.T Miller was included in that deal going to Tampa Bay who is a very solid top 6 forward. That's where the conditional 1st/2nd came in and the slightly higher prospect. If you wanted that return from Toronto, you'd have to include more than just Pietrangelo. Maybe Robbi Fabri? Not sure with his injury history so maybe a Jaeden Schwartz? Which again would require more salary going from Toronto to St. Louis which could increase the value of the prospects.
If it was just Pietrangelo going to Toronto the facts and conparables are extremely similar:

Plus it's worth taking into consideration Pietrangelo's current cap hit of $6.5M which makes Toronto's cap tighter. When McDonagh was traded, he was only making $4.7M which slightly adds to his value.

However as I said, I don't see Pietrangelo as a fit in Toronto. They'd most likely lose him when he becomes a UFA, and getting Sandin or Liljegren outta Toronto is gonna take an offer that they can't refuse because they'll be the young, fast, cheap, internal options to replace guys that leave in free agency. Leafs have preached patience and development from day 1 that Shanahan was brought it. They'd much rather look at the long term success chances with young guys like Sandin and Liljegren rather than a 1 year window with Pietrangelo. Just can't see it happening. Especially now that they've got Muzzin who is a perfect fit for Toronto

You are asking us to cough up 9th in norris for nobodies. That's where this is going, plus the fact that there isn't any room for Liljegren or Sandin right now in the first place. You just got Muzzin which shows you are buying in to win a cup NOW. Pietrangelo does that for you. 9th in Norris. You have him for the season, you can get him to re-sign at a cheaper price because he wants cups, and that's his hometown. Matthews has already said he would agree to less to get other players. You are asking us to take a subpar package for a Top Defenseman in the league who would re-sign because Toronto is his hometown. That is ridiculous. You can use Liljegren or Sandin who will be top 4 yes, but not in their prime. Pietrangelo is in his prime makes it an even easier shot for a cup. You can't get away with calling it a fair deal getting a top line defenseman.
Feb. 3, 2019 at 8:01 p.m.
Banned
You are asking us to cough up 9th in norris for nobodies. That's where this is going, plus the fact that there isn't any room for Liljegren or Sandin right now in the first place. You just got Muzzin which shows you are buying in to win a cup NOW. Pietrangelo does that for you. 9th in Norris. You have him for the season, you can get him to re-sign at a cheaper price because he wants cups, and that's his hometown. Matthews has already said he would agree to less to get other players. You are asking us to take a subpar package for a Top Defenseman in the league who would re-sign because Toronto is his hometown. That is ridiculous. You can use Liljegren or Sandin who will be top 4 yes, but not in their prime. Pietrangelo is in his prime makes it an even easier shot for a cup. You can't get away with calling it a fair deal getting a top line defenseman.

Did I once say for subpar players? I never even mentioned names as to who would go to St.Louis. Just as I said, Leafs preach patience and development. Teams have been asking about Sandin and Liljegren in every trade request, Toronto isn't looking to move them. That was a big part of the Muzzin deal was that they didn't have to move either of them because they DON'T want to. Just because "he's from the GTA area" does not guarantee he takes a hometown discount. There's 0 way you can say that because you don't know him. That's a big risk to take to give up a top prospect, a young two way roster froward, and a 1st round pick for plus more as you've suggested. Stop overvaluing your players.. again. Pietrangelo is good. Yes. No one doubts that. What he finished last season in Norris Trophy voting, doesn't mean a whole lot now. That's the past. If any team acquires him, his play last year isn't the main factor. It's more what he does now and can they keep him long term or do they lose him to free agency. As I said, there's a very real chance Toronto loses him to free agency when they have so many other key contracts coming up to more valuable players. Would a first round pick be in the deal? Yes. No doubt. But to ask for a top prospect and top young roster player as well, makes no sense for Toronto to give up when they'd lose him and could have those players for many years to come to help them win multiple cups instead of just a one shot at winning one season.
You want that kinda package, I guarantee Toronto says go get it elsewhere. It's not that he may or may not be worth that, but he's not worth it to the Leafs. He's not a fit in Toronto. There's other players that would be more valuable to keep rather than risking it all on 1 player.
Feb. 3, 2019 at 8:11 p.m.
Did I once say for subpar players? I never even mentioned names as to who would go to St.Louis. Just as I said, Leafs preach patience and development. Teams have been asking about Sandin and Liljegren in every trade request, Toronto isn't looking to move them. That was a big part of the Muzzin deal was that they didn't have to move either of them because they DON'T want to. Just because "he's from the GTA area" does not guarantee he takes a hometown discount. There's 0 way you can say that because you don't know him. That's a big risk to take to give up a top prospect, a young two way roster froward, and a 1st round pick for plus more as you've suggested. Stop overvaluing your players.. again. Pietrangelo is good. Yes. No one doubts that. What he finished last season in Norris Trophy voting, doesn't mean a whole lot now. That's the past. If any team acquires him, his play last year isn't the main factor. It's more what he does now and can they keep him long term or do they lose him to free agency. As I said, there's a very real chance Toronto loses him to free agency when they have so many other key contracts coming up to more valuable players. Would a first round pick be in the deal? Yes. No doubt. But to ask for a top prospect and top young roster player as well, makes no sense for Toronto to give up when they'd lose him and could have those players for many years to come to help them win multiple cups instead of just a one shot at winning one season.
You want that kinda package, I guarantee Toronto says go get it elsewhere. It's not that he may or may not be worth that, but he's not worth it to the Leafs. He's not a fit in Toronto. There's other players that would be more valuable to keep rather than risking it all on 1 player.

B is subpar level for a guy like Pietrangelo. You are also forgetting the face, Matthews is taking a discounted amount a year so you can fit other players in. Zaitsev is not worth taking on in a deal for Pietrangelo. You have to live by give to get. This would be an offseason deal meaning EXTENSION INCLUDED therefore you would already have him locked up, and not to mention the discounts helps you fit him in must I add the fact the Cap Ceiling is going up? We aren't going to take a mediocre offer for a star player not going to happen nor will you get pesce for nylander only you have to pay plus. RHD is not easy to come by now days and they don't come cheap. Parayko is off the table because his contract is cheap and long-term and if I see you are saying this for Pietrangelo even more of a no when it comes to Parayko. You can pretty much tell that there isn't a RHD in the League that is going to come cheap because you can't find guys like Pietrangelo open for trading much anymore at it comes at a hefty price. Sandin and Liljegren sure they will be good....in 2 or 3 years, but you know they won't be a Top Line RHD defenseman in their prime anytime soon, so I can see you are disagreeing because you want the Blues to do you a favor with Pietrangelo and that's just not going to happen. We can have other teams trade for him, or we will just re-up him. Pietrangelo is worth more than a bogus offer like that. You are insane or you think because you guys are the leafs people are going to just hand you the best players for cheap. If that's the case maybe you can offer Zaitsev B prospects a 1st and maybe a small add for McDavid. Maybe not the small add I mean come on that is ridiculous for Toronto to pay that much for him being you guys are Toronto in all.
Feb. 4, 2019 at 12:20 a.m.
Quoting: brian123
I think that the above trade equates to Pietrangelo + cap dump for Zaitsev, THREE 1st round picks, a 2nd (potentially ANOTHER 1st), and a 4th?
Only 1 of the firsts should be required (Kapanen, Liljegren or the pick) IMO.

Are you saying the 3 first round picks are Kapanen (1st round pick in 2014), Liljigren (1st Round Pick 2017) and the 2020 pick plus the conditional pick? Because that is exactly what Tampa Paid for McDonagh and Miller (Howden & Namestikov were both 1st round picks and they gave up at least 1 in 2019). The only difference is Tampa didn't have a cap dump in there. For me at least, the cap dump and getting a UFA back to replace Kapanen is the same as getting JT Miller. Or are you saying that Maroon and his less then #2 mil cap hit is a cap dump from St Louis? I see Maroon as a somewhat useful player. Also the final trade I proposed was Kap, Lil, Zaitsev, 2020 1st and a 2019 3rd for Pietrangelo and Maroon. Which may feel like an over payment but when you compare it to the Tampa trade it's almost exactly the same. Again in my opinion Pietrangelo is greater then McDonagh but that is equalized because Liljigren is better then Howden. We lose the cap hit of Zaitsev which is the equivalent of taking on JT Miller and the Namestikov and Kapanen have the same value. would I love to put Brown in instead of Kap? Heck yeah, but I honestly feel this is the closest comparison that we can offer to what Tampa offered NYR last year at the deadline.
Feb. 4, 2019 at 12:34 a.m.

You mention comparisons and I can't think of a time in recent history where a 3rd year player who is under performing on his current team with 5 more years on his contract at $4.5 mil has been traded and what the return is. If the Leafs were to make a trade they would 100% need to move Zaitsev to make room for the oncoming contract.

Also I didn't forget Fabbri or Schwartz, I mentioned both of them in my other post above as a JT Miller comparable. The Cap Has also increased by what, $4 mil since last year so the % isn't AS bad as it looks (6.2% compared to 8.2%).
Feb. 4, 2019 at 12:43 a.m.

You mention that they preached patience and what not but do you think that maybe part of the reason that Sandin & Liljigren weren't included in any trades so far is so they could get someone like Pietrangelo? A legit top 2 guy, a captain on his team at a decent contract. I think the addition of Sandin means one of those guys are expendable. I'd rather have the best chance to win the Stanley cup now and go into the playoffs with the best team on paper this year and probably next then go in with a decent chance this year and MAYBE a great chance in 3 years.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll