SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Montreal Canadiens

Do you give Poehling a few games this season if he leaves ST Cloud?

Let him play in the NHL or send him to the AHL
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Feb. 5, 2019 at 1:04 a.m.
With the NCAA season coming to an end what do you do with Ryan? You could bring him up to the NHL but risk putting him in over his head to early. You could sign him and let him play in the AHL to get a few games under his belt to be ready for next season. While there is a chance the Rockets could make the playoffs its not looking good. My take is give him a few games of NHL seasoning if possible and let him go the AHL route to end the year unless he WOWs the team like Kotkaneimi? Thoughts?
Feb. 8, 2019 at 4:02 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
I’d say AHL for a few reasons:
1. Once his season with St. Cloud State is over, the deadline for signing a contract and being elidgible for playing in the playoffs. I can’t see Poehling signing before his season is over, and I definitely can’t see the Habs giving him a spot just for a month, only for him not to be able to play in the playoffs.
2. Montreal is a relatively healthy team, compared to other teams that have signed their college players later in the year. They most likely won’t have the roster space.
3. If Poehling ended up playing more than 9 games in the NHL, he would become elidgible for the Seattle expansion draft, which just makes the Canadiens job all that harder when it comes to that.
4. I don’t think he’s necessarily ready for the NHL. There’s a big difference between playing in the NCAA and pro hockey, which I think Poehling will either need time in the AHL or pre-season to get adjusted. Especially because of the role he would be playing, which would go from top-line to most likely 4th line center.
Feb. 22, 2019 at 3:01 p.m.
Neither.

He's far from late-season-NHL ready and the race is too tight for us to slot him in over anyone else on the roster.

The Rocket are a dumpster fire that would hurt his development.

Wait until next year. He can do the Rookie Camp, Training Camp and Pre-Season games and we can evaluate what we really have in him. Excelling in the NCAA doesn't tell us all that much. Need to see how he stacks up against real competition over more than a meagre 36 game season.
Hockeyfan1972 liked this.
Mar. 11, 2019 at 1:39 p.m.
Sign him to an ATO in the AHL unless he wants to go back to the NCAA. In that case, don't sign him and let him develop for another year in college.
Mar. 16, 2019 at 1:24 p.m.
Not so Fasth
Quoting: HabsForEver
Sign him to an ATO in the AHL unless he wants to go back to the NCAA. In that case, don't sign him and let him develop for another year in college.

He's in the playoffs right now
Mar. 16, 2019 at 4:12 p.m.
Quoting: MasterMatt23
He's in the playoffs right now

I don't mean at the very moment. I mean once St.Cloud's season is over.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit