SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Toronto Maple Leafs signed Auston Matthews (5 Years / $11,640,250 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Feb. 5, 2019 at 6:29 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: HabsForEver
Rielly and Muzzin. Dermott will be forced to play 3rd line unless one of those players are going to become full time defensemen playing on the Right side which is not in anyone's best interest.

Both Rielly and Dermott have played Rd most of their careers and do it well...
Feb. 5, 2019 at 6:34 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: Lunboxer
You better update your giant wall of nonsense to reflect these new developments.

Remember when you said I was pulling numbers out my ass when I said the contact will be way higher than your projected 9 million for Matthews?

Hello.

That giant Wall, once inflation was added, predicted 11aav + the difference between Matthews and Eichel's. I missed on the term for sure but the AAV was spot on
Feb. 5, 2019 at 6:37 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
I was trying to find this. I remember seeing someone trying to convince other people that Matthews would take a discount and sign for 9 Million.

Link the post if you can find it lol

I never said anything about a discount. The post argued for almost this exact AAV. The only difference was that I had that at 7-8 years, which was exactly what McDavid and Eichel did. When that post was built (in the off season) there was no reason to think it would be 5 years
Feb. 5, 2019 at 6:56 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: Jarvis
Your're missing Brown (unless youre anticipating a trade). They can get LTIR relief from Horton too. I think Leafs need to do whatever it takes to move Zaitsev and possibly move Brown.

This includes the Horton LTIRetirement (as his hit is not there) and yes, I think that this AM contract has ended one of Z or Browns Leafs tenure. Depends on the cap whos ticket has been bought
Feb. 5, 2019 at 7:29 p.m.
Quoting: Hedman77
Rakell

Kase
Feb. 5, 2019 at 7:50 p.m.
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Matthews gets paid the 2nd highest AAV in the NHL and Toronto doesn't buy a single year of UFA. Good Job Dubas.

He actually bought 1 UFA year.
Feb. 5, 2019 at 7:55 p.m.
oyeahdj
8 players averaged over .5 PPG. Their depth was unreal. Their ability to roll all 4 lines is what won them the cup. Mix that in with Matt Murray and you will win a Stanley Cup.

currently 10 players on the Leafs average .5 PPG or more....
Feb. 5, 2019 at 8:03 p.m.
oyeahdj
Quoting: CoraStorm
Start with the Salary cap and start hitting minus: Tavares: 15.9, Matthews: 15.9, Nylander: 9.0 Horton/Kessel: 5.7, Rielly: 5.0 Anderson: 5.0, currently that equals 56.5 - Salary cap of 83.0 = 26.5 mil left. Okay, Kadri = 4.5; Hyman = 2.5; Brown = 2.1 and that all equals 9.1 - 26.5 = 17.4 mil left, Gauthier = 700K; Kapanen remains unsigned, Johnsson remains unsigned, Zaitsev = 4.5; Muzzin = 4.0, okay so that leaves = 17.4 subtract 4.5, 4.0, .7 = 8.2 mil to sign the balance of the Restricted free agents, Unrestricted, and minor league players, right? oh and before i forget, Toronto still needs a backup goaltender.

You're looking at salary, not AAV and assuming they will run with a 23 man roster. As Bobfather pointed out, they might just run with a 20 man roster with the Marlies down the street for home games and the financial resources to charter a private jet if they absolutely had to get a guy for an away game.
Feb. 5, 2019 at 8:18 p.m.
Quoting: djoyea
currently 10 players on the Leafs average .5 PPG or more....

When they do that in the playoffs, they will be going places. Hopefully Matthews doesn't go on vacation this off season like he did last season.
Feb. 5, 2019 at 8:26 p.m.
oyeahdj
When they do that in the playoffs, they will be going places. Hopefully Matthews doesn't go on vacation this off season like he did last season.

Much smaller sample, but they had 8 and Kadri (only four games) average .5 PPG. Not a great series for Matthews, though he was much better than previous year.
I get your point, and the Penguins obviously had a great run that season (and just about every other season) but the Leafs do have quite a bit of depth, and can run four lines.
HabsForEver liked this.
Feb. 5, 2019 at 8:37 p.m.
So let’s look at Kyle Dubas’s last 3 moves

1- Nylander signing...this site has it 68 thumbs up to 38 thumbs down but Nylander hasn’t played well

2- Muzzin trade...62 people says fair deal...33 people say L.A. won the trade and 33 say the Leafs won the trade

3- Matthews signing...70 thumbs down to 38 thumbs up

Dubas has definitely split many people’s opinions on his decisions.
habs_fan123 liked this.
Feb. 5, 2019 at 8:44 p.m.
I'm desperate hear what HawksFan28 thinks about whats going on in Leaf land. That guy spent the whole summer lighting up every chat board about how the leafs were gonna lose one of the big 4 plus Marleau, Kadri and Gardiner, while arguing about how much Nylander, AM34 and Marner are gonna demand. So far hes been wrong about literally everything he said hahahaha.
Feb. 5, 2019 at 8:46 p.m.
Quoting: Random2152
That giant Wall, once inflation was added, predicted 11aav + the difference between Matthews and Eichel's. I missed on the term for sure but the AAV was spot on

Lmao you never got the AAV, just straight up lying.

Even if you did, who cares? The AAV would be completely different on an 8 year deal.

You're way off all of the time. Stop posting.
Feb. 5, 2019 at 9:14 p.m.
Quoting: GeraltofRivia
So let’s look at Kyle Dubas’s last 3 moves

1- Nylander signing...this site has it 68 thumbs up to 38 thumbs down but Nylander hasn’t played well

2- Muzzin trade...62 people says fair deal...33 people say L.A. won the trade and 33 say the Leafs won the trade

3- Matthews signing...70 thumbs down to 38 thumbs up

Dubas has definitely split many people’s opinions on his decisions.

Surprised any of those have the Leafs losing something. Most Leaf fans thumb it up regardless.
GeraltofRivia liked this.
Feb. 5, 2019 at 9:30 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Edited Feb. 5, 2019 at 10:50 p.m.
Quoting: Lunboxer
Lmao you never got the AAV, just straight up lying.

Even if you did, who cares? The AAV would be completely different on an 8 year deal.

You're way off all of the time. Stop posting.

The AAV with no factors like cap inflation or other things was 8@10. Inflation brought that to 8@11, and then the difference was how much better you thought Matthews was than eichel (11.34-11.5). I was off by 300k and 3 years for the term. bob Mackenzie was also off by 300k, so it is fair to say that I nailed the AAV, but messed up the term, as there was no recent precedent at the time of creation to suggest he would go shorter than 8. Funny how you are lying while calling me a lier.
Feb. 5, 2019 at 9:54 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Surprised any of those have the Leafs losing something. Most Leaf fans thumb it up regardless.

No they dont lol.

The Nylander signing was a good signing. It was an overpay by like 250-500k max for a holdout (which is pretty good considering). People were pissed at him so the bitter ones said bad contract (disregarding reality). Remember how all the other fan bases thought it would be way over 7? (7.5 seemed to be the fan favourite, but I saw many for 8+).

The Muzzin deal was fair. Muzzin has been great already (and exactly what TOR needed let me tell you, physicality plus a point shot and good defensive awareness etc.)
LA got two B prospects and a 1st, which is about expected for that deal (it is very similar to the mcdonaugh deal, which was done before he started to go for the norris obviously)
Both team got what they wanted for pieces that weren't in the plan. Win-win (aka fair trade). Some thought it was an overpayment (it really was not, they are over valuing Durzi if they think that), and some looked at it from the leafs perspective of giving up nothing important for a #2 Dman.

The Matthews contract has a good aav, but is too short. If it were even one year longer it would likely be even on the yays and nays. Either way, Matthews got both his aav and small term, so it was not as good a deal it could have been.
But think about it, how bad can something be if your primary complaint is that there isn't enough of it?
Feb. 5, 2019 at 11:58 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I still find it hard to believe that Matthews is entitled to be paid the second highest player in the league....and by a wide margin. Don't know if the Leafs really had an option if they truly believed that Matthews would have been offered sheeted at even a higher cost. The term, I suspected, was Matthews idea, I truly think he wants to be a UFA as soon as possible to explore his options in a big US market. (the Leafs only bought one year of UFA). Still in year five the Leafs could trade Matthews if they feel the team isn't a true contender. And either way in the summer of 2024 the Leafs will have additional cap when Matthews likely leaves as UFA.
Feb. 6, 2019 at 5:26 a.m.
All heart
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Matthews gets paid the 2nd highest AAV in the NHL and Toronto doesn't buy a single year of UFA. Good Job Dubas.

You got all those likes. While being wrong lol
ConnorMcHellebucyk, GeraltofRivia, HabsForEver and 1 other person liked this.
Feb. 6, 2019 at 6:53 a.m.
Buljujarvi
My goodness. Eight pages in less than 24 hours?
Feb. 6, 2019 at 8:13 a.m.
You're looking at salary, not AAV and assuming they will run with a 23 man roster. As Bobfather pointed out, they might just run with a 20 man roster with the Marlies down the street for home games and the financial resources to charter a private jet if they absolutely had to get a guy for an away game.

Running with a 20 man roster is just stupid. Yes you can get away with it with home games, but what happens when they're out west and someone takes a puck in warm ups.
Feb. 6, 2019 at 8:56 a.m.
Jetsfan
Much smaller sample, but they had 8 and Kadri (only four games) average .5 PPG. Not a great series for Matthews, though he was much better than previous year.
I get your point, and the Penguins obviously had a great run that season (and just about every other season) but the Leafs do have quite a bit of depth, and can run four lines.

Exactly...a small sample...every year it will be...4-7 games.
Feb. 6, 2019 at 10:45 a.m.
RFA contracts % of cap

Crosby: 5 years at 17.3%
Chara: 5 years at 17.05%
Malkin: 5 years at 15.34%
Matthews: 5 years at 13.68%
Stamkos: 5 years at 11.66%
Toews: 5 years at 11.09%
Kane: 5 years at 11.09%

It's a normal contract for a player like Matthews coming out of a rookie deal. The McDavid deal is an undervalued contract.
Feb. 6, 2019 at 10:58 a.m.
Quoting: Random2152
I never said anything about a discount. The post argued for almost this exact AAV. The only difference was that I had that at 7-8 years, which was exactly what McDavid and Eichel did. When that post was built (in the off season) there was no reason to think it would be 5 years

Perhaps it wasn't you then. I remember someone arguing that both players were going to take a discount.
Random2152 liked this.
Feb. 6, 2019 at 10:59 a.m.
Quoting: ConnorMcHellebucyk
My goodness. Eight pages in less than 24 hours?

Tends to happen when a big contract is signed. People love to argue.
ConnorMcHellebucyk liked this.
Feb. 6, 2019 at 12:40 p.m.
oyeahdj
Quoting: CaseOfTastykakes
Running with a 20 man roster is just stupid. Yes you can get away with it with home games, but what happens when they're out west and someone takes a puck in warm ups.

Fair point on the away games. I would think they could still play a night with 5 D or 11 forwards if that were the case. 21 (7d) might make them more comfortable.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit