Forums/Armchair-GM

Final piece to be a top contender Pietrangelo

Created by: Willian_Cardoso
Team: 2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 9, 2019
Published: Feb. 9, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Well, to me it's quite obvious that leafs still needs to improve their D to be a top contender to face a team like Tampa. And Pietrangelo would be surely that guy. Both teams win here, in my opinion, cause St. Louis would lose AP, but they'll get in return T. Liljegren and Hyman + 2 high picks. If any team wants AP, this team will have to pay high. And if there's a team which can afford to pay like that, this team is Toronto.
Trades
STL
  1. Gardiner, Jake
  2. Hyman, Zach
  3. Liljegren, Timothy
  4. 2019 3rd round pick (TOR)
  5. 2020 1st round pick (TOR)
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$79,500,000$76,761,111$2,550,000$5,400,000$2,738,889
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 7
$10,277,778$10,277,778
RW
UFA - 6
$787,500$787,500
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
C
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$863,333$863,333
RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the St. Louis Blues
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LW, RW
NTC
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 2
$650,000$650,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 4
Logo of the St. Louis Blues
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 6
$675,000$675,000
G
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
UFA - 1
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, C
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 9, 2019 at 8:24 a.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
STL would want Kapanen in there. Also I dont see STL selling given their current success.
Feb. 9, 2019 at 8:32 a.m.
Let's go Pens!
Quoting: SammyT_51
STL would want Kapanen in there. Also I dont see STL selling given their current success.

St. Louis wants to win a cup, not just play some games in playoffs. With this current team, they'll have no chance. They must be smart enough to admit that and build a team to get a chance to be considered one of the top contenders. That's my opinion. But thanks for your feedback.
rja40 liked this.
Feb. 9, 2019 at 8:38 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Not sure, how it really helps the Leafs that much even this season. Leafs lose two regulars and gain one better one. Leafs need to lose Gardiner's contract next summer and more and now there is an additional 6.5m to get rid of. It's cap league.
Feb. 9, 2019 at 9:06 a.m.
Quoting: Willian_Cardoso
St. Louis wants to win a cup, not just play some games in playoffs. With this current team, they'll have no chance. They must be smart enough to admit that and build a team to get a chance to be considered one of the top contenders. That's my opinion. But thanks for your feedback.

LOL, yet you give them pending UFA Jake Gardiner
Feb. 9, 2019 at 9:09 a.m.
I still think Petro will go to Leafs...could be in off season though. Problem for Blues is if they trade him, they have to replace him. They have no one would can replace him now. And although I agree with what you say to a certain extent, I don't think they would do it unless they had a replacement. I like Gardiner and Lil, not sure we have much use for Hyman. And yes, Blues want Kapanen, doesn't mean we would get him. Apparently they asked for Nylander and Leafs said no.

I was envisioning a trade of Petro to Leafs and then a trade involving Schenn to Hurricanes for Hamilton.
Feb. 9, 2019 at 9:20 a.m.
Lenny7

I mean, considering Toronto can't seem to beat Boston, does that mean that they too should sell off their best players for peanuts?
Feb. 9, 2019 at 9:41 a.m.
Will this move be enough to make Toronto favourites this year? I doubt it, and in the process you make next year's issues with the cap even worse while bleeding draft picks. Just doesn't seem like a very logical move.
Feb. 9, 2019 at 10:11 a.m.
Quoting: littlejerryseinfeld

I like Gardiner and think he would be a great fit in STL, we do not have much depth at all on LD. But as a rental I don't think he is worth too much. But I think it's a realistic possibility that we could sign him here. We have two decent young LD in Edmundson and Dunn, but past that we have Gunnarson and Jaybo, both of which are UFA. I would much rather have Gardiner there. We will see.
Feb. 9, 2019 at 4:07 p.m.

Agreed, and that's a good deal for both. Armstrong is so arrogant, he wouldn't do this deal, but I'd take it and run.
Willian_Cardoso liked this.
Feb. 9, 2019 at 4:09 p.m.

Rumors in St. Louis are Gardiner is going to be pursued in the off-season by the Note. They might take it, hoping to get him more comfortable with the locker room, hoping it will help them sign him.
Feb. 10, 2019 at 9:56 a.m.
Let's go Pens!

It's a dump, man. St. Louis could trade him before the Deadline.
Feb. 11, 2019 at 10:32 p.m.
Let's go Pens!
Quoting: Lenny7
I mean, considering Toronto can't seem to beat Boston, does that mean that they too should sell off their best players for peanuts?

Well, I don't think Leafs will lose by Boston in 7. Not this time...
Feb. 11, 2019 at 10:43 p.m.
Let's go Pens!
Quoting: mobluesfan
I still think Petro will go to Leafs...could be in off season though. Problem for Blues is if they trade him, they have to replace him. They have no one would can replace him now. And although I agree with what you say to a certain extent, I don't think they would do it unless they had a replacement. I like Gardiner and Lil, not sure we have much use for Hyman. And yes, Blues want Kapanen, doesn't mean we would get him. Apparently they asked for Nylander and Leafs said no.

I was envisioning a trade of Petro to Leafs and then a trade involving Schenn to Hurricanes for Hamilton.

I think Kapanen could be used in a trade for Pietrangelo, indeed. Because of the salary cap, it'd make sense trade him to St. Louis. I wouldn't be surprise at all.
mobluesfan and rja40 liked this.
Feb. 11, 2019 at 10:57 p.m.
Let's go Pens!
Quoting: mobluesfan
I like Gardiner and think he would be a great fit in STL, we do not have much depth at all on LD. But as a rental I don't think he is worth too much. But I think it's a realistic possibility that we could sign him here. We have two decent young LD in Edmundson and Dunn, but past that we have Gunnarson and Jaybo, both of which are UFA. I would much rather have Gardiner there. We will see.

I don't see Gardiner as a "must test FA" player. He's not playing that well for a while. So, it'd make sense for both if he re-signs with St. Louis after that trade. I think he could get back on track playing for them. St. Louis is a solid team defensively. It'd help Gardiner's game, cause his defensive responsabilities would be smaller that his ones in Toronto.
mobluesfan and rja40 liked this.
Feb. 12, 2019 at 12:02 a.m.
I don't see Gardiner as a "must test FA" player. He's not playing that well for a while. So, it'd make sense for both if he re-signs with St. Louis after that trade. I think he could get back on track playing for them. St. Louis is a solid team defensively. It'd help Gardiner's game, cause his defensive responsabilities would be smaller that his ones in Toronto.

Especially if paired with Parayko, Edmunson, or Bouwmeester (if re-signed) as all of them are so sound defensively.
Willian_Cardoso liked this.
Feb. 12, 2019 at 2:20 p.m.
Lenny7
Well, I don't think Leafs will lose by Boston in 7. Not this time...

I certainly hope not, but considering their record against them this season (1-3), it's not out of the realm of possibility.

My point was geared more towards "how can you say that St. Louis has no shot", when they have as much chance of moving through the west as the Leafs do of moving through teams like Tampa and Boston.
Feb. 12, 2019 at 5:29 p.m.
Let's go Pens!
I certainly hope not, but considering their record against them this season (1-3), it's not out of the realm of possibility.

My point was geared more towards "how can you say that St. Louis has no shot", when they have as much chance of moving through the west as the Leafs do of moving through teams like Tampa and Boston.

No way. The odds are much more in favor Toronto than St. Louis. Blues are a mid table team and Leafs are a contender.
Feb. 12, 2019 at 5:33 p.m.
Lenny7
No way. The odds are much more in favor Toronto than St. Louis. Blues are a mid table team and Leafs are a contender.

I'm not saying that the Leafs aren't a contender, but I'm also not going to say that St. Louis are bad enough to blow it up. To win the cup, you need solid D (which they have), and a run of outstanding goaltending (which they've had lately).

I don't buy that St. Louis is going to win the cup, but also don't see why they'd give the Leafs their best D-man when they've got a shot.
Feb. 12, 2019 at 8:56 p.m.
I don't buy that St. Louis is going to win the cup, but also don't see why they'd give the Leafs their best D-man when they've got a shot.

I think your point is the reason why Petro will not be traded this TDL, but I do look for him to be moved to Toronto in the off-season, especially after the Leafs watch Tampa play for the cup. I could be wrong, but I just don't see the Leafs having the D to stop the Bolts. They need a Petro to even the playing field.
Lenny7 liked this.
Feb. 13, 2019 at 11:17 a.m.
Lenny7
Quoting: rja40
I think your point is the reason why Petro will not be traded this TDL, but I do look for him to be moved to Toronto in the off-season, especially after the Leafs watch Tampa play for the cup. I could be wrong, but I just don't see the Leafs having the D to stop the Bolts. They need a Petro to even the playing field.

Yeah, possibly. I think they'll make a move at some point, but I'd be willing to be that it won't be for one of the fancy names (Petro, Parayko, Pesce, ect), and would be more likely a guy like a much more affordable guy like Adam McQuaid. I worry that Dubas will overvalue every single one of his prospects and hold off making the big move.
Feb. 13, 2019 at 6:25 p.m.
Yeah, possibly. I think they'll make a move at some point, but I'd be willing to be that it won't be for one of the fancy names (Petro, Parayko, Pesce, ect), and would be more likely a guy like a much more affordable guy like Adam McQuaid. I worry that Dubas will overvalue every single one of his prospects and hold off making the big move.

I could certainly see a McQuaid move, and he's a solid player that would help most teams. I totally agree with your hunch about Dubas. The kid just seems too naive about his own players and may bite himself in the backside.
Lenny7 liked this.
Feb. 14, 2019 at 8:11 a.m.
Let's go Pens!
I'm not saying that the Leafs aren't a contender, but I'm also not going to say that St. Louis are bad enough to blow it up. To win the cup, you need solid D (which they have), and a run of outstanding goaltending (which they've had lately).

Well, I respect your point of view, but I disagree. To me, St. Louis have 0% chance to win the cup this season. They play an old school game style, based on a physical and dump and chase game. There's NO WAY to see this type of game working in current NHL. But thanks for your feedback.
Feb. 14, 2019 at 8:46 a.m.
I don't mind the valuation of the trade...I just question how it would work logistically with the cap next year...not enough 2019-20 cap dollars are being sent to St. Louis to make this work.

I like the idea of maybe giving a 3rd or 4th round pick to the rangers for McQuaid. I like the idea even more if we overpay a bit on McQuaid and send Zaitsev along with him...then I can get behind this kind of deal.

Why is Gardiner having a bad season? Leaf fans just can't be happy with this guy for some reason. He's trying to play a more defensively responsible game...so taking less risk and getting less points as a result....but his traditional and advanced stats over the last 3-4 years make him a top 20 dman in the league...despite what anyone wants to b_itch and moan about. People like to jump on him for his turnovers...but go look at the league leaders in turnovers for defencemen....the top of the charts is littered with all-stars. Toronto fans don't give this guy the credit he deserves. No...he's not going to muscle a guy away from the crease...he's not that type of defender...but he's a damn good offensive defenceman.

If cap and everything else worked out....he could be sent to St. Louis in a similar deal that Evander Kane had with Buffalo/San Jose...picks conditional on him re-signing....I don't think anything makes sense this season...but could see a deal this summer once the Leafs would also be able to extend Pietrangelo...which of course means Gardiner will already be a UFA and different assets will need to be used
Feb. 14, 2019 at 9:41 a.m.
Let's go Pens!
Quoting: Juice
I don't mind the valuation of the trade...I just question how it would work logistically with the cap next year...not enough 2019-20 cap dollars are being sent to St. Louis to make this work.

I like the idea of maybe giving a 3rd or 4th round pick to the rangers for McQuaid. I like the idea even more if we overpay a bit on McQuaid and send Zaitsev along with him...then I can get behind this kind of deal.

Why is Gardiner having a bad season? Leaf fans just can't be happy with this guy for some reason. He's trying to play a more defensively responsible game...so taking less risk and getting less points as a result....but his traditional and advanced stats over the last 3-4 years make him a top 20 dman in the league...despite what anyone wants to b_itch and moan about. People like to jump on him for his turnovers...but go look at the league leaders in turnovers for defencemen....the top of the charts is littered with all-stars. Toronto fans don't give this guy the credit he deserves. No...he's not going to muscle a guy away from the crease...he's not that type of defender...but he's a damn good offensive defenceman.

If cap and everything else worked out....he could be sent to St. Louis in a similar deal that Evander Kane had with Buffalo/San Jose...picks conditional on him re-signing....I don't think anything makes sense this season...but could see a deal this summer once the Leafs would also be able to extend Pietrangelo...which of course means Gardiner will already be a UFA and different assets will need to be used

First of all: I'm not a Leafs fan. I'm a Pens fan.

Second: There's some moves that could be made to afford Toronto to bring Pietrangelo. One of them could be trade Zaitsev. Another option could be trade Kapanen. Anyway, there'd be some options on the table and Pietrangelo worths all of them, in my opinion. As for Mcquaid, he'd be a good option as well. Much easier than mine. But, of course, with much less guarantees than Pietrangelo's. And finally, as for Gardiner, I still don't think he's playing a good hockey right now. His value certainly dropped last season and even more in this one. He's not playing well enough offensively and his defensive game is still below the average. I think he needs some fresh air to get back on his track. St. Louis could be a good option.
Feb. 14, 2019 at 7:28 p.m.
Well, I respect your point of view, but I disagree. To me, St. Louis have 0% chance to win the cup this season. They play an old school game style, based on a physical and dump and chase game. There's NO WAY to see this type of game working in current NHL. But thanks for your feedback.

Willian...You are thinking of the old Hitch/Yeo-Yeo teams. Yes, we were that old trash, and unfortunately still have some trash players from that outdated system. Have you checked out the Berube-Blues? Not even close to what you assert.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll