Forums/Armchair-GM

Marlies Update 4

Created by: brenfox31
Team: 2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 10, 2019
Published: Feb. 10, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I've got some good notes on these, so I'm gonna keep making them approximately once a month! Any questions, feel free to ask below and I'll look into it!

Let's start with the forwards:
- The new acquisition (Tanner McMaster) acquired for Stefan Leblanc last week is already in the lineup, and is playing on the third line. For those wondering why we added him, he's got a nice 2-9-11 statline with utica, and was a linemate with Michael Carcone prior to his trade. Mason Marchment's Long term injury also made it necessary to make a move. Possible we see them together soon.
-Marchments injury happened at around the same time as the Marincin demotion, so that worked out decently well, we moved a Dman for a replacement forward.
-The first line (and especially Chris Mueller) are lighting it up, and the Engvall-Bracco combo is looking real good.
-Jeremy Bracco has 47 p in 47 games, and wow is he making a case to make the Leafs soon. Don't be surprised for him to be the next call-up after Moore (who actually has less PPG).
-Moore is too good for this league, and you can tell at this point. He will easily make the Leafs 3rd or 4th line next year. His line has stayed together for a while now, and is listed as the 3rd line on the Marlies Instagram! No question they're actually the second line tho.
- Third line has Macmaster in Marchment's spot, and it doesn't look as strong. Personally, I think this is the weakest line. Jooris hasn't been as good as I expected, and tho this is still a strong third line, Gagne hasn't either (picked up his first marlie goal on Saturday). This could be a line that surges come playoff time tho, not unlike the Moore-Brooks-Marchment line last year.
-4th line should be the 3rd. Carcone is having a real good season (12-14-26 in 36 GP!!!), and Greening continues to be a good player, although he has slowed down this year. Timashov is the same as always lol.

Defence:
-MARINCIN IS A MIRACLE!!! Like seriously, we needed him BADLY. Lilly is still out, and he's playing really well with Borgy.
-SANDIN is back baby! Finally! Looks ok, but he'll be playing on the 3rd pair to work his way back. Subban is also back in, and Jardine will likely be sent to the ECHL when Lilly comes back. Not sure I like that Corrado is on the bench, but expect him to play over Subban soon.
-Our defence looks like it did at the start of the season, and if the recent surge by this team tells us anything, they are going to be a serious PO threat.
-Lilly will be back soon, but out another 3-5 days at least. Surprising, and not good news, but at least we got Sandin and Marty. Expect Lilly to steal the 3RD spot, and an amazing Sandin-Lilly THIRD PAIRING. (ahhhhhhhhhh "Insert Leafs Fans dying here")

Goalies: Kaskisuo struggles, and Hutchinson doesn't. Same as always, nothing new, and I hope kasky improves.

Notes:
-Tom Sestito hit the press box, and I think his time as a Marlie might be almost over. Wouldn't be surprised if he stepped in as a trainer tho. When lilly returns they will have 1 too many players, and I doubt he will go to the Growlers. he was on a PTO, so it should be over now.
-Rich Clune continues to be the "coach player", and has only played 7 games. He will 100% be a coach at some point lol.
-Sam Jardine also hits the Box, he might be in the ECHL soon.
-Frankie Corrado was listed as sick, but I think he's out of the lineup. Jardine will be sent down, he becomes the 7th D.

If you want updates on specific players (IE Bracco, Moore, Sandin, Lilly) Leafs Fans, lemme know below.
Free Agent Signings
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Greening, Colin
1$900,000
Macmaster, Tanner
1$900,000
Corrado, Frankie
1$900,000
Clune, Rich
1$900,000
Sestito, Tom
1$900,000
Jardine, Sam
1$900,000
Trades
TOR
    ECHL Growlers (likely, not confirmed)
    VAN
    1. Jardine, Sam
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$79,500,000$25,767,778$2,550,000$3,112,500$53,732,222
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
    $925,000$925,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 2
    $650,000$650,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    $842,500$842,500 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
    RW
    UFA - 2
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $759,167$759,167 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
    C
    UFA - 2
    Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
    $2,835,000$2,835,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 2
    Macmaster, Tanner
    $900,000$900,000
    $650,000$650,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    $742,500$742,500 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $694,444$694,444 (Performance Bonus$165,000$165K)
    LW
    UFA - 2
    Greening, Colin
    $900,000$900,000
    $675,000$675,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    Sestito, Tom
    $900,000$900,000
    Clune, Rich
    $900,000$900,000
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $725,000$725,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $1,300,000$1,300,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $800,000$800,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $675,000$675,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    $925,000$925,000
    LD
    UFA - 4
    $650,000$650,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    Corrado, Frankie
    $900,000$900,000
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $894,167$894,167
    RD
    RFA - 4
    $650,000$650,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $767,500$767,500 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Feb. 10, 2019 at 3:58 p.m.
    C,mon Leafs...Please
    Great analysis! Thanks for this!
    brenfox31 liked this.
    Feb. 10, 2019 at 4:00 p.m.
    Brendan Fox
    Quoting: Britishbulldog
    Great analysis! Thanks for this!

My one and only passion... the Toronto Marlies tears of joy
    Feb. 10, 2019 at 4:00 p.m.
    Ban Price trades
    What's Timashov's future with the Leafs going to look like? As an outside it appears he's slowly being phased out, will Dubas look to find some form of value for him?
    brenfox31 liked this.
    Feb. 10, 2019 at 4:13 p.m.
    Awesome! Thanks, Bretfox.
    Feb. 10, 2019 at 4:32 p.m.
    Brendan Fox
    Quoting: BeterChiarelli
    What's Timashov's future with the Leafs going to look like? As an outside it appears he's slowly being phased out, will Dubas look to find some form of value for him?

IMO: He's not going anywhere in a trade unless they get another forward prospect in return. He hasn't got the potential he used to have, but he's still solid for the Marlies and he's cheap depth for another year. Leafs need that. With the upcoming cap crunch he is important, and I think (from what I've seen) he is starting to grow some chemistry with Carcone, who is in a very similar position. Also, once Bracco and Moore are in the NHL (probably next year), he and Engvall will get more ice time and will better develop. He's got room to grow, and now it's up to him to take the spot from Macmaster, Gagne, or Carcone. He has more potential than them, he just hasn't quite hit it yet.

He was also good in the POs last year, so if the Marlies make another cup run he could be an important asset.
    Feb. 10, 2019 at 4:47 p.m.
    AustonFathews
    1. How have Sandin/Liljegren looked in their own end and do you think they can make the jump next year? Possibly another year for Sandin in the AHL for him to become more complete/bulk up.

2. Can Trevor Moore kill penalties?

3. Any surprises that could make the leafs out of camp? Bracco, Marchement, Engvall?

4. I assume Rosen is a lock for the leafs next year, does he look NHL ready?
    brenfox31 liked this.
    Feb. 10, 2019 at 5:02 p.m.
    Thanks, @brenfox31

This was a very useful post for us leaf fans that don't follow the Marlies as closely.
    brenfox31 liked this.
    Feb. 10, 2019 at 10:13 p.m.
    Brendan Fox
    Quoting: notKyleDUbas123
    1. How have Sandin/Liljegren looked in their own end and do you think they can make the jump next year? Possibly another year for Sandin in the AHL for him to become more complete/bulk up.

2. Can Trevor Moore kill penalties?

3. Any surprises that could make the leafs out of camp? Bracco, Marchement, Engvall?

4. I assume Rosen is a lock for the leafs next year, does he look NHL ready?

Alright I can’t answer all of these yet, but I’ll see what I can do:

- Liljegren and Sandin have looked good in both ends, and have had substantial seasons for their development in terms of point production. That being said, they’ve been out for a lot of the season with injuries, and I don’t think they’re NHL ready yet. I think next year will be their Rosen/Dermott year, where they spend an extra year developing and forcing Dubas to call them up. I think they’ll play after injuries, and will be immediate callups, but one more year before they get full time. That also allows them to come in after a full season without injuries.

Can Trevor Moore kill penalties? Absolutely. Will he under Babcock? I don’t know. He hasn’t been amazing in the PK, but he has looked more capable than many others. If guys like Brown are gone next year, he will spend some one on the PK, but won’t be a regular like Kappy and Hyman.

Surprises to make the team? Probably none, but Moore, Rosen and Bracco will imo. Borgman is obviously close, and Sandin/Lilly will be too, but I think they’ll be in the AHL for one more year. Marchment is going to be a 3/4 liner at tops, and Brooks is hard to tell. The next after the obvious ones on Forward will likely be Marchment, Timashov and Brooks, but an interesting option could be to actually acquire Sam Gagner from Van city and use him as an option.

Rosen looks amazing in the AHL. He will def be a Leaf next year, whether as a 6th or 7th dman.
    notKyleDUbas123 liked this.
    Feb. 11, 2019 at 12:50 p.m.
    There has been a lot of hype around Sandin lately but is that just because of Liljegren's injury or is he legitimately the better prospect? Who do you believe has the higher ceiling?
    brenfox31 liked this.
    Feb. 11, 2019 at 3:59 p.m.
    Brendan Fox
    Quoting: Leafsfan23
    There has been a lot of hype around Sandin lately but is that just because of Liljegren's injury or is he legitimately the better prospect? Who do you believe has the higher ceiling?

Personally, I don't know if I can choose. I find Sandin to be a bit more promising because he has excelled so quickly at this level, but at the same time Lilly has shown skills that most players don't have, and it could make him a potential top 2 dman if he hits all the right strides. Unlikely tho, both of these guys are more likely going to be top 4 dmen for this leafs team in the next 2-3 years. I wouldn't compare them too much, but rather appreciate the fact that we have two relatively high level defence prospects, who will be an important part of this team for years to come.
    Sandin is somewhat similar to Rielly in a lot of ways. Great skater and puck mover, with a decent shot and serious offensive talent. Is he a stud defensively? No. But he's capable, and hasn't been burned too often. One more year in the AHL will have him ready, tho he will likely have to play next to someone of decent size in the NHL.

Lilly could be very good as well, and it looks like his defensive game is coming together a bit. His skating (especially lateral movement and crossovers) is A+. However, his shot has some accuracy troubles, and he takes weak scoring chances too often. Luckily for his development, he plays with Borgman a lot, who is a shutdown AHL dman, so he can be a bit more "spontaneous". His SuperElite League stats are amazing, whereas Sandin has looked slightly better as an AHL rookie.
    Juice and Leafsfan23 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll