$1,850,000$1,850,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$1,300,000$1,300,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C
UFA - 3
$950,000$950,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$7,857,143$7,857,143
RD
UFA - 8
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 8
$748,333$748,333 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$950,000$950,000
G
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
LD
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
RD
UFA - 2
$900,000$900,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 12, 2019 at 1:32 p.m.
Quoting: J2W
Either you got the wrong info about the proposed trade or I did, because from what I understood the ask for ROR was 3rd OA and some extra either way and when that was rejected it was Poehling and another 1st (likely the LA pick from a hypothetical Pacioretty trade), which was also rejected.

after his press conference after the draft, eric engels asked what the cost from buffalo was for ror, and he said 3 1st rd picks, and engles acording some other sources said it was poehling, 3 oa and another 1st.
J2W liked this.
Feb. 12, 2019 at 1:35 p.m.
Quoting: Price_is_the_goat
after his press conference after the draft, eric engels asked what the cost from buffalo was for ror, and he said 3 1st rd picks, and engles acording some other sources said it was poehling, 3 oa and another 1st.

Wow, first I've seen that much being asked for. Buffalo certainly dropped their asking price in a hurry.
Price_is_the_goat liked this.
Feb. 12, 2019 at 1:37 p.m.
Quoting: J2W
Wow, first I've seen that much being asked for. Buffalo certainly dropped their asking price in a hurry.

well it makes sense. they're in the same division, and when gms are thin of a certain position, other teams charge them way more. bergevin literally had 0 big name centers. poehling blew at the wjc, and KK is elite now and he acquired domi now too.
Feb. 12, 2019 at 1:45 p.m.
Quoting: HabsForEver
This is hypothetical you are right, but I am judging it based off of Bergevin's previous history. I am assuming because 29 other teams in the league would pay 1st + a lot more if they are getting a legitimate top 2 defensemen. No team in the league is going to offer a top 2 defensemen for a 1st round pick. They are going to let every team in the league know he is available and a bidding war will ensue.

I don't believe it's ambigous. In Bergevin's history, he has never lied. He said what he was going to do and stuck with it. He told us what he was going to do and I believe he will stick with it now as well.

I don't disagree about trading the first round pick. I just don't think Bergevin would overpay more than another team. If Bergevin is going to trade his first, it's going to be for a helluva player, and if it's a helluva player, teams are going to be lining up for that said player.

I only used a top 2 dman as example. It could be anything MB values to be worth a 1st round pick. That's for him to tell you. I don't know what he is and isn't willing to trade for a 1st.

As for "lying", that is ambiguous. You are assuming everything he said in interviews is the truth. He could be just saying that as a device to dismiss speculation, drive up price. etc etc.

Anyhoo this is an argument on semantics.

tl;dr type summary:

I agree he won't trade the 1st but saying he won't simply because he said it in front of a camera is naive. He won't trade it because he probably won't get the return he'd want for it.
Feb. 12, 2019 at 1:49 p.m.
Quoting: F50marco
I only used a top 2 dman as example. It could be anything MB values to be worth a 1st round pick. That's for him to tell you. I don't know what he is and isn't willing to trade for a 1st.

As for "lying", that is ambiguous. You are assuming everything he said in interviews is the truth. He could be just saying that as a device to dismiss speculation, drive up price. etc etc.

Anyhoo this is an argument on semantics.

tl;dr type summary:

I agree he won't trade the 1st but saying he won't simply because he said it in front of a camera is naive. He won't trade it because he probably won't get the return he'd want for it.

What has he said in interviews that wasn't the truth? I don't have to assume because what he said happened. There is no assumptions going on there.
Feb. 12, 2019 at 2:10 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
well we can always acquire a good asset if we take cap dump. pretty sure we could get a guy like josh mahura from anahiem if we take on perry's contract in full (8.6mill for 2 more years) or kesler's (has to agree to move). thats what we did with armia

Totally different scenario but yeah that'll for sure get you at least one good asset coming your way.
Feb. 12, 2019 at 2:15 p.m.
What has he said in interviews that wasn't the truth? I don't have to assume because what he said happened. There is no assumptions going on there.

He saying something (and not really forcing it behind closed doors for example) and it still happening is telling the truth to you?

What if he said he isn't actively trading Subban (or whatever he had said at the time) but in reality he was actually trying to trade him but nothing to his liking ever got offered that he liked and kept him instead?

Is that lying or is that something else? See the difference?

Just because what he said to the camera came true, doesn't mean behind closed doors he wasn't trying anything otherwise. Its only words and many times when it comes to the speaking to the media and public, its nothing but politics.
Feb. 12, 2019 at 2:19 p.m.
He saying something (and not really forcing it behind closed doors for example) and it still happening is telling the truth to you?

What if he said he isn't actively trading Subban (or whatever he had said at the time) but in reality he was actually trying to trade him but nothing to his liking ever got offered that he liked and kept him instead?

Just because what he said to the camera came true, doesn't mean behind closed doors he wasn't trying anything otherwise. Its only words and many times when it comes to the speaking to the media and public, its nothing but politics.

its a competitive market. ppl are watching. u cant be honest with the fans. u cant lie to them either, but u can avoid certain topics, or phrase certain sayings in a way that deems it reasonable.
HabsForEver liked this.
Feb. 12, 2019 at 2:23 p.m.

When has he said something to us (The media) and did the opposite?

I don't care what he does behind closed doors, what he has told us came true. He has never said something and then broke it.

Why are we playing the what if game? The reality is that he said he wasn't shopping Subban and reports came out after the trade was done that Montreal and Nashville started talking a few days prior to the trade and that Poile was the one who initially offered the trade.

"Is he lying or is that something else" Means nothing, what he said, happened.
Feb. 12, 2019 at 2:25 p.m.
its a competitive market. ppl are watching. u cant be honest with the fans. u cant lie to them either, but u can avoid certain topics, or phrase certain sayings in a way that deems it reasonable.

Yup. There is a reason they have PR people and a crew of assistants to make sure they are giving just enough information for the media to be content with, without divulging any information that could potentially impact any trade negotiations.

Any good GM, is willing to do anything at any time to better his team. Whether we like it or not, that involves making claims for things that they are not actually intending to do. They may still happen but it had nothing to do with the words that were being said in a media scrum.
Feb. 12, 2019 at 2:31 p.m.
When has he said something to us (The media) and did the opposite?

I don't care what he does behind closed doors, what he has told us came true. He has never said something and then broke it.

Why are we playing the what if game? The reality is that he said he wasn't shopping Subban and reports came out after the trade was done that Montreal and Nashville started talking a few days prior to the trade and that Poile was the one who initially offered the trade.

"Is he lying or is that something else" Means nothing, what he said, happened.

Firing Therrien? Trading any young assets like Sergachev, the Pacioretty and or Subban situations. Come on now, this isn't about what has happened. Its about what could have happened regardless of what actually did end up happening.

MB has lied before. Whether it was intentional or unintentional is besides the point. Its that he can make that distinction at any time and its regardless of what was said to the media. (US)
Feb. 12, 2019 at 2:36 p.m.
Firing Therrien? Trading any young assets like Sergachev, the Pacioretty and or Subban situations. Come on now, this isn't about what has happened. Its about what could have happened regardless of what actually did end up happening.

MB has lied before. Whether it was intentional or unintentional is besides the point. Its that he can make that distinction at any time and its regardless of what was said to the media. (US)

No, it's about what happened. When did he say with Certainly that Sergechev/Pacioretty/Subban were going to be staying with certainty?

I don't know why you are saying MB has lied when you can't prove he has. Everything he has said to us is the truth and has happened.
Feb. 12, 2019 at 2:50 p.m.
No, it's about what happened. When did he say with Certainly that Sergechev/Pacioretty/Subban were going to be staying with certainty?

I don't know why you are saying MB has lied when you can't prove he has. Everything he has said to us is the truth and has happened.

He said with certainty "I'm not trading any of my prospects". He has said that he is not trading Subban. Link in another AGM you are quoted on. He said he will not be firing Michel Therrien and then did it that very same season. On and on and on.....

Why are you so blindly defending him? I'm not attacking MB's honor. In fact I'm applauding his ability to not be a goof in the media and keeping his cards close to his chest. I'm simply pointing out that you saying he will not trade a 1st because he said so in a media scrum isn't worth holding on to in any trade discussion. In case there is confusion on this, i'm not saying a 1st has to be the only piece involved. It could be Primeau + 1st + Lehkonen for Huberdeau for example. IDK just spit ballin here.

Your argument is that he will not trade a 1st for anything. My argument is he would trade a 1st, just not for the returns the reporter who asked him the question, was implying. (Rentals and old players)

Him saying he'd never trade a 1st for anything is bad Gm'ing. There are plenty of assets worth more than the 23rd OV pick. For example, other 1st rounders. What if he wanted to move up in the draft? Is that not possible because he said he wont trade a 1st?

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll