Forums/Armchair-GM

Proposition for NYR and DAL Fans Read then Comment

Created by: rja
Team: 2018-19 Dallas Stars
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 11, 2019
Published: Feb. 12, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I probably made a couple of assumptions that not everyone agrees with; one of them being the Stars are agressive at the deadline, and another is that Zuccarello will yield a first round pick and prospect at the deadline. I do not think this will happen, but it is a creative idea.

I think DAL could be a team that would be willing to part with either a first or a prospect and a later pick if they are going to be aggressive buyers; not both. The Stars have Methot (and probably Johns too) out on LTIR (or should) for the year, and will have cap space to make a deal. Instead of moving a prospect, it's possible that Dallas would take on another contract.

That player/contract could be Brendan Smith. Though Smith does not play in every game, he's actually have a pretty good season. His advanced metrics are good, and he's making good decisions on the ice for the most part. The Rangers, however, want to see their young defensemen play, so Smith has been the odd man out. I think Smith would be an upgrade for Dallas on their bottom pairing, and considering Dallas could have the space to take Smith on, they should do it. [If you argue that DAL would not want Smith for 2 more years, consider that Methot and Polak's contracts expire, and are not great options to bring back. Also consider that Smith's contract expires the same offseason as Heiskanen's ELC, and that if they buy out Hanzal, which is likely, they will have more than enough room to acquire top talent.].

In order to make room to take on Zuccarello and Smith for this season, DAL needs to move a contract. Well, are they not trying to move Valeri Nichushkin? He's been more than a disappointment for the Stars. I think the Stars would prefer to take smith on and dump Nichushkin, rather than sacrificing a decent prospect in a trade for a rental.

DAL wins because they grab a hot forward who will add depth scoring, an upgrade on the blueline, and will dump a player that has been a headache.

NYR win because they acquire a first round pick, and are able to dump a contract that they do not need going forward.

Zuccarello wins because he has another chance at the cup. Smith truly wins because he's able to play more, and will realize more on this contract because there is no state income tax.

All in all, I think this a creative option for both teams.

*Note: Assuming Methot and Johns both qualifiy for LTIR, the Stars will still have enough cap space to make another trade (about 3.35 million in cap space).
Trades
DAL
  1. Smith, Brendan
  2. Zuccarello, Mats ($2,250,000 retained)
NYR
  1. Carrick, Connor
  2. Nichushkin, Valeri
  3. 2019 1st round pick (DAL)
  4. 2020 4th round pick (DAL)
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$79,500,000$74,798,333$0$3,157,500$4,701,667
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$2,300,000$2,300,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$5,750,000$5,750,000
C, RW
NMC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$6,250,000$6,250,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$9,500,000$9,500,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 7
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$2,200,000$2,200,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
Logo of the New York Rangers
$900,000$900,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$7,500,000$7,500,000
C, RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$2,400,000$2,400,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$811,667$811,667 (Performance Bonus$157,500$158K)
C
UFA - 2
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$875,000$875,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$4,750,000$4,750,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$1,750,000$1,750,000
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$2,200,000$2,200,000
LD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$4,250,000$4,250,000
RD
UFA - 4
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$4,916,667$4,916,667
G
NMC
UFA - 5
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
LD/RD
UFA - 3
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$1,300,000$1,300,000
RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$2,500,000$2,500,000
G
UFA - 2
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$2,137,500$2,137,500
LD/RD
UFA - 3
Logo of the New York Rangers
$4,350,000$4,350,000
LD/RD, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$650,000$650,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$4,900,000$4,900,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$2,350,000$2,350,000
RD
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 12, 2019 at 6:53 p.m.
Banned
That's not a terrible idea actually. I think it might take a bit more for Dallas to take on Brendan Smith's contract though. But you've got good framework, it'd at least start trade calls back and forth. Good work
Feb. 12, 2019 at 6:57 p.m.
kcb12345
If we can re-sign Zuccarello then sure I suppose
Feb. 12, 2019 at 6:57 p.m.
Rangers 2023
Im in
Feb. 12, 2019 at 7:47 p.m.
LVNYR_FAN
Might have to come with the firing of Lindy Ruff if you believe he and Nichushkin didn't appreciate one another.
Feb. 12, 2019 at 7:58 p.m.
Quoting: LVNYR_FAN
Might have to come with the firing of Lindy Ruff if you believe he and Nichushkin didn't appreciate one another.

Who says NYR ever have to play him?
Feb. 12, 2019 at 8:32 p.m.
What in tarnation
This trade would work if DAL has a spot for Smith. But they don't. Polak has been better than Smith, and will certainly be the cheaper option of the two. If Smith is the odd man out in your team, he'll certainly be that in a top defensive team in the league as well.

Dropping Smith from the trade, would you make a Nichushkin+1st for Zuccarello trade?
Feb. 12, 2019 at 8:47 p.m.
Quoting: BurgerBoss
This trade would work if DAL has a spot for Smith. But they don't. Polak has been better than Smith, and will certainly be the cheaper option of the two. If Smith is the odd man out in your team, he'll certainly be that in a top defensive team in the league as well.

Dropping Smith from the trade, would you make a Nichushkin+1st for Zuccarello trade?

Polak is playing second pairing with Heiskanen, no? Smith could be inserted on the third line if need be.

I would think NYR would want more than just the first and Valeri. The point of this was to allow Dallas to keep their prospects. If Dallas wants to trade for Zuccarello, and not give up a prospect, it would probably have to take on a contract, which Dallas is able to do. And if I am NYR, I would rather dump the cap than take on another prospect.
Feb. 12, 2019 at 8:58 p.m.

Also, I do not know if this matters to you, but Polak's possession metrics are substantially worse than Smith's, and Smith is constantly playing with different defensemen and has little chemistry. He even has had to play forward. I think Smith has actually been very good; it's just that the Rangers want to play their youth. In Montgomery's system, Smith could really help make a difference.
Feb. 12, 2019 at 9:28 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: rja
Polak is playing second pairing with Heiskanen, no? Smith could be inserted on the third line if need be.

I would think NYR would want more than just the first and Valeri. The point of this was to allow Dallas to keep their prospects. If Dallas wants to trade for Zuccarello, and not give up a prospect, it would probably have to take on a contract, which Dallas is able to do. And if I am NYR, I would rather dump the cap than take on another prospect.

DAL already have the 3rd pair options: Fedun, Carrick and Honka. DAL simply doesn't need any new D-men as of now. They'd probably rather move a prospect than take a cap dump.

Also, I do not know if this matters to you, but Polak's possession metrics are substantially worse than Smith's, and Smith is constantly playing with different defensemen and has little chemistry. He even has had to play forward. I think Smith has actually been very good; it's just that the Rangers want to play their youth. In Montgomery's system, Smith could really help make a difference.

Advanced statistics come after the basic stats - and they say Polak has done solid work. It shows on his game, and it shows on Dallas' goals against statistics. Not to mention that they have $3M salary difference, which is a big deal, if DAL considers getting a good UFA player at the offseason.

Is Nichushkin+Heatherington+1st enough for Zucc?
McFaksaGOAT liked this.
Feb. 12, 2019 at 9:34 p.m.
DAL already have the 3rd pair options: Fedun, Carrick and Honka. DAL simply doesn't need any new D-men as of now. They'd probably rather move a prospect than take a cap dump.

Advanced statistics come after the basic stats - and they say Polak has done solid work. It shows on his game, and it shows on Dallas' goals against statistics. Not to mention that they have $3M salary difference, which is a big deal, if DAL considers getting a good UFA player at the offseason.

Is Nichushkin+Heatherington+1st enough for Zucc?

I would guess NYR would want a forward prospect, not Heatherington, but who knows; Mascherin comes to mind.
Feb. 12, 2019 at 9:38 p.m.
What in tarnation
I would guess NYR would want a forward prospect, not Heatherington, but who knows; Mascherin comes to mind.

Nngh. Mascherin's one of DAL's better prospect. And Zuccarello is not exactly the player type the team needs. They need a scoring winger, like Kreider.

What would you like to have for Kreider?
Feb. 12, 2019 at 9:43 p.m.
Nngh. Mascherin's one of DAL's better prospect. And Zuccarello is not exactly the player type the team needs. They need a scoring winger, like Kreider.

What would you like to have for Kreider?

Personally, would not move Kreider; I'd extend him. Others on this site want to move him, but I think he's worth keeping. I'm no Stars fan, but I actually think if you put Zuccarello on a line with Seguin it would be awesome. Look at what he's doing with Mika. I understand Mascherin is one of the better prospects, but Zuccarello is proving as of late that he should be one of the most sought after rentals.

But if I were Jim Nill, I would not buy anything at all. I'd stay put. I was just trying to be creative with this proposal.
justaBoss liked this.
Feb. 12, 2019 at 9:50 p.m.
What in tarnation
Personally, would not move Kreider; I'd extend him. Others on this site want to move him, but I think he's worth keeping. I'm no Stars fan, but I actually think if you put Zuccarello on a line with Seguin it would be awesome. Look at what he's doing with Mika. I understand Mascherin is one of the better prospects, but Zuccarello is proving as of late that he should be one of the most sought after rentals.

But if I were Jim Nill, I would not buy anything at all. I'd stay put. I was just trying to be creative with this proposal.

If I were Nill, I'd try to acquire a winger. If we can get another scorer to the 2nd line, we'd be in good position for a surprise. Our goalies have been a TOP3-duo, our D have miraculously been in TOP5...only thing that's lacking is offensive depth.

Would you take this kind of deal?

New York Rangers
Valeri Nichushkin
Adam Mascherin
2019 1st round pick
2020 5th round pick

Dallas Stars
Mats Zuccarello
Adam McQuaid (40-50% salary retained)
Feb. 12, 2019 at 9:52 p.m.
If I were Nill, I'd try to acquire a winger. If we can get another scorer to the 2nd line, we'd be in good position for a surprise. Our goalies have been a TOP3-duo, our D have miraculously been in TOP5...only thing that's lacking is offensive depth.

New York Rangers
Valeri Nichushkin
Adam Mascherin
2019 1st round pick
2020 5th round pick

Dallas Stars
Mats Zuccarello

Make it a 2020 3rd and I'd accept immediately. If it were a 4th I would think it's a fair deal.
justaBoss liked this.
Feb. 12, 2019 at 9:52 p.m.

New York Rangers
Valeri Nichushkin
Adam Mascherin
2019 1st round pick
2020 5th round pick

Dallas Stars
Mats Zuccarello

So yes that's a pretty good offer.
justaBoss liked this.
Feb. 12, 2019 at 11:44 p.m.
McFaksaGOAT
So yes that's a pretty good offer.

I know this thread is kinda dead lmao but maybe the 4th can be conditional turning into a 3rd if they make the 2nd round of the playoffs or something?
Feb. 13, 2019 at 8:29 a.m.
Quoting: McFaksaGOAT
I know this thread is kinda dead lmao but maybe the 4th can be conditional turning into a 3rd if they make the 2nd round of the playoffs or something?

Hey man we moved on! No it's fine. I am sure if we were actually negotiating this we'd tinker a little with the details but the base is fair on the surface.
McFaksaGOAT liked this.
Feb. 13, 2019 at 2:46 p.m.
True Reverse Retro
Take out Smith, and the salary retention on Zuccarello and turn the 1st & 2020 4th into a 2nd & 2020 3rd.

Honestly though, if I’m Dallas I don’t even look at Zuccarello. He’s a solid playmaker, don’t get me wrong, but the Stars don’t need point production; they need GOAL production, and there are quite a few players I’d look at before Zuccarello. If the Stars are trading a 1st Round Pick (or packaging it with other pieces) to the Rangers, Chris Kreider or Mika Zibenejad needs to be coming the other way; and let’s be real...there’s 0 chance the Rangers trade Zibenejad.

Given the fact that Kreider has another year remaining on his deal, he won’t just be a rental, so he’ll land a 1st and a prospect in return.

New York Rangers
Valeri Nichushkin
Mattias Janmark
2019 1st Round Pick
Adam Mascherin

Dallas Stars
Chris Kreider
2019 4th Round Pick
Feb. 13, 2019 at 3:47 p.m.
Quoting: J_Sand3rs
Take out Smith, and the salary retention on Zuccarello and turn the 1st & 2020 4th into a 2nd & 2020 3rd.

Honestly though, if I’m Dallas I don’t even look at Zuccarello. He’s a solid playmaker, don’t get me wrong, but the Stars don’t need point production; they need GOAL production, and there are quite a few players I’d look at before Zuccarello. If the Stars are trading a 1st Round Pick (or packaging it with other pieces) to the Rangers, Chris Kreider or Mika Zibenejad needs to be coming the other way; and let’s be real...there’s 0 chance the Rangers trade Zibenejad.

Given the fact that Kreider has another year remaining on his deal, he won’t just be a rental, so he’ll land a 1st and a prospect in return.

New York Rangers
Valeri Nichushkin
Mattias Janmark
2019 1st Round Pick
Adam Mascherin

Dallas Stars
Chris Kreider
2019 4th Round Pick

I'd decline both proposals; the point for NYR was to have some cap relief (Smith (4.35) - Valeri (2.95)). Also, I think NYR would be able to grab a first for Zuccarello. I also would not want to move Kreider, but that is just me.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll