Forums/Armchair-GM

Something for Everyone and Cap Friendly

Created by: Murph
Team: 2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 15, 2019
Published: Feb. 15, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
First off, I do not know how Nylanders Dollars are showing what they are (over 10 mill) and I do not know how to fix it! Maybe it will change after I have hit Publish.
Keeping in mind I am like all of you only an armchair GM some valuations may need tweaking. What I tried to accomplish here was to solve cap relief problems and positional needs for a number of teams, so that for the Leafs they can remain competitve this year and going forward, mostly by continuing to strengthen the back end defensively.

Brown cannot be afforded going forward, and I am sure McDavid would like to play with him again. EDM gets cap relief, a backup Goalie for the season, and Puljujarvi gets a new address with a functional team to develop with.

Philly gets Talbot and a prospect, you can argue about the payment back. Leafs get Insurance after moving Hutchinson (should have been part of first trade oops).

Leafs move Zaitsev to make room for Pesce.

Pesce staright up for Kapanen. Argue about what else to add.

Leafs cannot afford to re-sign Gardiner so play him with Pesce to maximize his value and trade him at the Draft to Minnesota for Picks.

Might be better trades with Western Conference Teams but I am not as familiar with the players.

Marleau contract, not marleau the player, is really hurting Leafs.

Have a great long weekend!
Trades
EDM
  1. Brown, Connor
  2. 2019 7th round pick (DAL)
  3. 2020 2nd round pick (TOR)
TOR
  1. McKenna, Mike
  2. 2019 2nd round pick (PHI)
TOR
  1. 2019 1st round pick (SJS)
BUF
  1. Zaitsev, Nikita
  2. 2019 2nd round pick (PHI)
  3. 2019 4th round pick (TOR)
TOR
  1. 2019 6th round pick (EDM)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$79,500,000$71,347,778$2,550,000$6,250,000$8,152,222
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 7
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
UFA - 1
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
C
UFA - 1
$10,277,778$10,277,778
RW
UFA - 6
$787,500$787,500
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
LW, C
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 2
$650,000$650,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 4
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$675,000$675,000
G
UFA - 1
Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
$4,025,000$4,025,000
RD
UFA - 6
$4,050,000$4,050,000
LD
UFA - 1
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 15, 2019 at 1:07 p.m.
I think that Buffalo would rather keep their three firsts, than downgrade to a 2nd and get Zaitsev.
SammyT_51 and GMTD liked this.
Feb. 15, 2019 at 1:08 p.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
Quoting: Club_de_Hockey_le_Canadien
I think that Buffalo would rather keep their three firsts, than downgrade to a 2nd and get Zaitsev.

That and also NO WAY Bracco moves..
Feb. 15, 2019 at 1:08 p.m.
To answer that first question....the $10m + is actually Nylander's cap hit for this year. Next year (and for all of years 2-6 of the deal), his cap goes to a shade under $7m.

It's this way because of a rule in the CBA about signing RFA's after the start of the season and there's a specific equation that determines the cap hit in year 1 vs the remaining years
GMTD liked this.
Feb. 15, 2019 at 1:09 p.m.
Bcarlo25
That’s what Nylander cap hit is. Anyway, it’s a no from Carolina, and a no on the Zaitsev trade
Feb. 15, 2019 at 1:12 p.m.
...as for the trades...they mostly made more sense in the offseason for me....Brown to Edmonton for JP could have legs if JP can be extended under $1m

No need for Talbot to be involved...I would think Philly is happy to ride or die with Hart now

We are not getting anywhere near that kind of return for Zaitsev...so expect some backlash on that deal in the message thread

I am ok with Kapanen - Pesce deal in the offseason....I love what Kapanen brings to the roster but if it's a straight up trade for Pesce I can get behind it.
GMTD liked this.
Feb. 15, 2019 at 1:28 p.m.
Murph
Thanks all for the clarification on WN and the critiques. i agree some moves might work better in off season. Unfortunately I think some drastic moves are required to get through the next few years of salary cap.
Feb. 15, 2019 at 1:38 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Leafs aren't going to dismantle their team this year. Why trade Hutchinson for nothing? Mike McKenna? C'mon. The Pesce/Kapanen though might be fair in value doesn't help the Leafs cap issues next year.
Feb. 15, 2019 at 1:46 p.m.
I think you made a valiant effort with mostly reasonable logic. I do think you would be way off on the Zaitsev trade. No way he brings back a 1st from any team, even with the extra picks. I can't imagine any scenario ever where he garners a 1st round pick.
GMTD liked this.
Feb. 15, 2019 at 1:49 p.m.
Murph
Thats fair. and thats why I agreed some moves might make more sense at end of season...here is my rationale. CAR if I were them would want Kapanen now. If it is not to help their current team, then to help acclimatize him to negotiating a deal and not have him withold service (if it applies to him). I think the trade does help Leafs cap position for next year because they will have a defenseman on a good contract, and will know what they have to spend on Johnnson and others, and they are basically replacing Gardner. I dont think Philly takes on Talbot without sending a goalie back. I would prefer Stolarz if there was a thought to resign as a UFA and help the Marlies but PHI might think the same way. Hutchinson was supposed to be part of original deal with EDM. Yes maybe the picks could be tweaked better.
Feb. 15, 2019 at 1:52 p.m.
Banned
Not sure how true it is, but the ask on Puljujärvi is a 1st + player.
Feb. 15, 2019 at 1:52 p.m.
Murph
@ RJA 40...Thanks. I was trying to finagle a 1st because Buffalo has 3. I doont know if they want to use all the picks for players who may not play for 3 years...they want players who can step into the line up because they are improving every season. So yeah, maybe more has to be added to justify, or they have to settle for less of a return.
Feb. 15, 2019 at 1:55 p.m.
Murph
I think too much for Pulujarvi based on his career so far. I know he was a 1st round pick but. That is part of why i packaged him with Talbot. They want to shed salary more than anything, and may have a price to pay to do so IMO.
Feb. 15, 2019 at 2:38 p.m.
Eichel Tower
Quoting: Club_de_Hockey_le_Canadien

Quoting: Juice
...as for the trades...they mostly made more sense in the offseason for me....Brown to Edmonton for JP could have legs if JP can be extended under $1m

No need for Talbot to be involved...I would think Philly is happy to ride or die with Hart now

We are not getting anywhere near that kind of return for Zaitsev...so expect some backlash on that deal in the message thread

I am ok with Kapanen - Pesce deal in the offseason....I love what Kapanen brings to the roster but if it's a straight up trade for Pesce I can get behind it.

Quoting: rja40
I think you made a valiant effort with mostly reasonable logic. I do think you would be way off on the Zaitsev trade. No way he brings back a 1st from any team, even with the extra picks. I can't imagine any scenario ever where he garners a 1st round pick.

Quoting: Murph
@ RJA 40...Thanks. I was trying to finagle a 1st because Buffalo has 3. I doont know if they want to use all the picks for players who may not play for 3 years...they want players who can step into the line up because they are improving every season. So yeah, maybe more has to be added to justify, or they have to settle for less of a return.

To all above,
First of all, I am a Sabre contrarian, most Sabre fans laugh at the idea of trading for Zaitsev.
Second, IMO Betterall could take Zaitsev if Dubas were to offer him.
Third, Buffalo has cap space today and the next 4 years to take on his salary.
Fourth, I agree with all of the above that the 1st will not be included, but if this was done at the TDL I think Dubas would want an NHL player in return, probably a RHD to replace his roster spot.
I would love to hear your comments.
Feb. 15, 2019 at 2:45 p.m.
Quoting: Murph

I certainly can follow your thinking here. Perhaps if a young B prospect is added, Zaitsev and that prospect garner one of those 1st round picks. Overall, I applaud your efforts. Pretty good thinking here.
GMTD liked this.
Feb. 15, 2019 at 2:58 p.m.
Quoting: GMTD
To all above,
First of all, I am a Sabre contrarian, most Sabre fans laugh at the idea of trading for Zaitsev.
Fourth, I agree with all of the above that the 1st will not be included, but if this was done at the TDL I think Dubas would want an NHL player in return, probably a RHD to replace his roster spot.

Zaitsev isn't terrible, he's just not worth a 1st round pick. He is an NHL replacement-level RHD who can give you a good 18 minutes (perhaps more depending on the situation) on what becomes in a year probably an average cost for what he is (cap goes up; player's prices going up). A team like Buffalo can, as you say, absorb the reminder of his contract. The more I watch the young Dubas operate, the more I feel his youth is hurting the Leafs. For example, wise people know you don't make promises that you can't keep. He promised Nylander he wouldn't trade him. Uhhhh, dumb move, especially since it looks like it is Nylander's contract that has the potential of preventing other players from being signed/kept. Pietrangelo was the PERFECT RHD to place on this team last year, and allegedly Doug Armstrong and Petro (NTC waive) both agreed to make the trade for Nylander when he was a hold-out. Dubas refused and shot his wad. Where would Toronto be right now if they had Petro for this entire season? They're already pretty good, but not Tampa-good. With Petro, I think the Bolts are looking up at the Leafs. Dubas also over-values quite a bit of his guys, thinking he can keep all of them and have a super team. He's mathematically too young to remember the last super-team couldn't even do that (1980's Oilers), and the next closest thing to a super team (2000's Blackhawks) couldn't do it either. When you have two guys eating up $20+ million in a salary cap era, you don't have enough money to pay all of the other studs. Look at Chicago now. I'm sure he's a very intelligent guy. His inexperience just seems to be preventing Toronto from greatness.
GMTD liked this.
Feb. 15, 2019 at 3:03 p.m.
To all above,

I'm going to respond because I know you're open minded on the pieces here...but before I continue...I'm fully aware most other Buffalo fans would slap these offers down quickly and I wouldn't fault them for it....so...here goes...and this is assuming off season trades

1. Zaitsev + 2nd for Bogosian @ $645k retained
- with the retention, salaries even out (which is counter to what Toronto would hope to achieve in a zaitsev trade...but whatever)...sabres get a 2nd in exchange for taking on the riskier contract with longer term....leafs get a defenceman who, IMO, plays very good D when healthy and a much more physical brand of hockey than Zaitsev....and if he gets hurt again can join Horton on LTIR next year

2. Zaitsev + Liljegren + 2020 first + Brown for Ristolainen. I doubt this is enough...and brown likely needs to be a Johnsson or Kapanen...but Risto would be a big #1 RHD man that's young and on a good contract. I would consider re-structuring the trade if the leafs used Kadri and the Sabres added Rodrigues

3. Zaitsev + Ennis for Pominville. This is more just a straight dump of Zaitsev...not even sure where Pommer would fit in with the leafs but he gets a chance at a cup run and the leafs skip out on Zaitsev's contract.
GMTD liked this.
Feb. 15, 2019 at 3:34 p.m.
Eichel Tower
I'm going to respond because I know you're open minded on the pieces here...but before I continue...I'm fully aware most other Buffalo fans would slap these offers down quickly and I wouldn't fault them for it....so...here goes...and this is assuming off season trades

- with the retention, salaries even out (which is counter to what Toronto would hope to achieve in a zaitsev trade...but whatever)...sabres get a 2nd in exchange for taking on the riskier contract with longer term....leafs get a defenceman who, IMO, plays very good D when healthy and a much more physical brand of hockey than Zaitsev....and if he gets hurt again can join Horton on LTIR next year

2. Zaitsev + Liljegren + 2020 first + Brown for Ristolainen. I doubt this is enough...and brown likely needs to be a Johnsson or Kapanen...but Risto would be a big #1 RHD man that's young and on a good contract. I would consider re-structuring the trade if the leafs used Kadri and the Sabres added Rodrigues

3. Zaitsev + Ennis for Pominville. This is more just a straight dump of Zaitsev...not even sure where Pommer would fit in with the leafs but he gets a chance at a cup run and the leafs skip out on Zaitsev's contract.

First of all thank you for your comments.
1. Buffalo retain 50% of Bogosian's contract would make Dubas jump out of his seat and Buffalo could still absorb that retention, and give TML a serviceable RHD,
2. I would love to hear the Buffalo fans turn this trade down. Liljegren is an excellent prospect and if Brown and Zaitsev could learn how to play Hockey again this would be a HUGE return. But if one views Zaitsev as a negative, then the trade is fair. From my perspective I see him (as you indicated in your 1st suggestion) nearly equal to Bogosian. I need to post this to hear LittleJerry take his shots.
3. Yes, this would favor the Sabres way too much, Pominville can only score when he plays with Eichel (and he can score with regularity when he does). I wonder if Ennis could do the same with Skinner and Eichel.
Thank you again.
Juice liked this.
Feb. 15, 2019 at 4:36 p.m.
Eichel Tower

What did I say about LittleJerry. He may be correct that the Sabres will not sell current assets for future prospects. I also like you evaluation if Zaitsev is considered a neutral asset in the trade, then a player as Ristolainen usually returns a first, a roster player and good prospect. I agree with you, it is a good trade. Nice job, thank you for the suggestion.
Feb. 15, 2019 at 4:41 p.m.
What did I say about LittleJerry. He may be correct that the Sabres will not sell current assets for future prospects. I also like you evaluation if Zaitsev is considered a neutral asset in the trade, then a player as Ristolainen usually returns a first, a roster player and good prospect. I agree with you, it is a good trade. Nice job, thank you for the suggestion.

no problem...I've had by battles with LoganOllivier over Zaitsev too. To each their own...everyone is entitled to their opinions. I view Zaitsev and Phanuef in similar lights...both very adequate defencemen but were given roles/contracts that exceeded what they were able to provide on a nightly basis...maybe they played poorly because they were trying to live up to roles or contracts instead of being the player that earned it in the first place...

from my point of view...Zaitsev isn't awful...but similar to Phanuef...if there's a team that is open to taking the contract off your hands...you gotta explore it...
GMTD liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll