Forums/NHL Trades

(EDM/VAN) - Spooner for Gagner

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Feb. 16, 2019 at 6:57 p.m.
Retired V2 V3 GM
Quoting: draft_em_sign_em_trade_em
Now how funny would it be if Eberle signs back in Edmonton as an UFA this summer? You wouldn't be laughing than.

Also months ago I suggested the Gagner for Spooner trade in an ACGM, even before Spooner was sent to the minors. Though this trade is as close to a saw off as you can get, so no big deal that my GM thoughts came true.

That would be hilarious! I would still be laughing if they resigned Eberle. I doubt that will happen though.
ConnorMcHellebucyk liked this.
Feb. 16, 2019 at 9:34 p.m.
Edited Feb. 16, 2019 at 11:54 p.m.
Quoting: AH96
How was his offensive ability with the Marlies? Was he playing as C or RW?

He was playing both - RW more often but did play some C, esp when there were injuries. Other then Chris Mueller, the Marlies don’t have another player who could legit be a Top-6 C in the AHL (from their Calder Cup winning team, Miro Aaltonen left for the KHL and Ben Smith for the DEL, and Freddie ? is playing with the Leafs - so yeah, it’s barren).

His offensive game is solid, and he’s a weapon on the PP and shootouts (where he is 3-for-3). I don’t have the Pts breakdown but probably at least 1/3 of his Pts were on the PP (7 of his 12 Goals were PP Goals). He has averaged 3 shots per game (tops on the Marlies) and his 0.86 Points/Game is 3rd on the team (behind Jeremy Bracco & Mueller). He’s got skill and I saw more commitment to 2-way play as the season progressed. ??‍♀️
Feb. 16, 2019 at 11:08 p.m.
Quoting: oilersfan089
At first I thought this was great because I thought Ganger only had a year left on his contract. But no, he still has another year like Spooner, but 1 mil cheaper. So Oilers save 1mil in cap space and basically improve slightly because Ganger is more likely to fit/play hard for a role on the team. He's going to get a solid opportunity to play big minutes (probably try him out as a center or a RW with one of the 3 big centers). Great chance for him to turn his career around. But I would have preferred Spooner being traded for a draft pick or a prospect, simply to just open up the cap space.

Just a correction. Spooner's contract is buried in the minors so it doesn't count against the cap and the Rangers are eating a quarter of it. Gagner's contract was buried but while he is up with the Oilers, they receive the full hit. The trade is a wash but the Oiler's are taking a huge cap hit in the hopes that Gagner can provide some help in the locker room.
Feb. 16, 2019 at 11:33 p.m.
Majors and minors
almost equal but Edm saves 850K off their budget. but I watched a portion of their game. why the continuous odd man rushes against their goalie, this time Klefbom leaving Larsson completely alone versus 2. earlier there were 3 on 1s.
Feb. 17, 2019 at 3:23 p.m.
Quoting: rebecca
He was playing both - RW more often but did play some C, esp when there were injuries. Other then Chris Mueller, the Marlies don’t have another player who could legit be a Top-6 C in the AHL (from their Calder Cup winning team, Miro Aaltonen left for the KHL and Ben Smith for the DEL, and Freddie ? is playing with the Leafs - so yeah, it’s barren).

His offensive game is solid, and he’s a weapon on the PP and shootouts (where he is 3-for-3). I don’t have the Pts breakdown but probably at least 1/3 of his Pts were on the PP (7 of his 12 Goals were PP Goals). He has averaged 3 shots per game (tops on the Marlies) and his 0.86 Points/Game is 3rd on the team (behind Jeremy Bracco & Mueller). He’s got skill and I saw more commitment to 2-way play as the season progressed. ??‍♀️

Good to see that he was in such high regard in Toronto. Sorry to hear about the top 6 centre hole but I’m sure Der-Arguchintsev will step up when available to the Marlies
rebecca liked this.
Feb. 18, 2019 at 11:08 a.m.
Quoting: PrisonBull
Just a correction. Spooner's contract is buried in the minors so it doesn't count against the cap and the Rangers are eating a quarter of it. Gagner's contract was buried but while he is up with the Oilers, they receive the full hit. The trade is a wash but the Oiler's are taking a huge cap hit in the hopes that Gagner can provide some help in the locker room.

Only $1,025,000 doesn't count, the rest does.
Feb. 18, 2019 at 3:13 p.m.
Quoting: oilersfan089
At first I thought this was great because I thought Ganger only had a year left on his contract. But no, he still has another year like Spooner, but 1 mil cheaper. So Oilers save 1mil in cap space and basically improve slightly because Ganger is more likely to fit/play hard for a role on the team. He's going to get a solid opportunity to play big minutes (probably try him out as a center or a RW with one of the 3 big centers). Great chance for him to turn his career around. But I would have preferred Spooner being traded for a draft pick or a prospect, simply to just open up the cap space.

spooner already had retained salary the oilers took on 50 thousand more dollars.
Feb. 18, 2019 at 4:15 p.m.
Majors and minors
After more thought, if Gagner was playing for 650K then its an okay trade, but he isn't. He's a Toronto Marlies cast off! Meaning, if Gagner was as good as people said he was, why didn't Toronto Maple Leafs pick him up? He was playing literally minutes away from the Leafs, i think its 8 drive minutes, 20 walking minutes, and if you have a bike it'll probably be quicker, 'cause you won't obey the signs.
Feb. 18, 2019 at 5:34 p.m.
Quoting: CoraStorm
After more thought, if Gagner was playing for 650K then its an okay trade, but he isn't. He's a Toronto Marlies cast off! Meaning, if Gagner was as good as people said he was, why didn't Toronto Maple Leafs pick him up? He was playing literally minutes away from the Leafs, i think its 8 drive minutes, 20 walking minutes, and if you have a bike it'll probably be quicker, 'cause you won't obey the signs.

Obviously you've not updated yourself with his situation. Gagner fell out of favour with the Nucks and they were sitting him out most games until they simply demoted him to the ahl. Out of respect for the player, they allowed him to report to the ahl affiliate of the Leafs (Marlies) so that he could be closer to his wife (who's a doctor in Toronto).
Now with regards to "falling out of favour with the Nucks"... to me this doesn't say much because I continuously see coaches such as Boucher (favours Borowieki, Pyatt, Smith) in Ottawa, Hitch or even McLellan (Manning, Petrovic, Brodziak, Lucic, etc) for Edmonton as well as Green (Roussel, Beagle, Schaller, Gudbranson) in Vancouver continuously prefer to play heavy/grind it out type players reminiscent of 90's and 00's era hockey. These guys are idiots for not adapting to the new style and pace of play in the current nhl and their resulting standings speak volumes.
Feb. 18, 2019 at 5:45 p.m.
With regards to this trade, I agree, this is a nothing trade.
Coaches preferences were the key contributors in this trade.
Gagner inexplicably fell out of favour with Green (who continues to scratch guys like Goldobin for the likes of players mentioned above.) His (Gagner's) play in the last few seasons was appropriate for a 3rd line (top 9) role in the NHL, and his play in the ahl was top 6.
Translation, Green's an idiot, and him being sent down to the ahl is not reflective of Gagner's true abilities TODAY. Gagner could come into the Oilers system and provide some value in the top 9 immediately. He could provide much of the value that Strome brought to the oilers prior to his departure (trade for Spooner), which was a consistent 3C, with potential limited top 6 minutes as a winger, and very dependable within special teams... or he may not have to foot speed and skill that the Oil needs NOW and simply revert back to the ahl (which means this whole trade is a wash as Spooner would have been buried anyways.)
Feb. 18, 2019 at 8:40 p.m.
Majors and minors
Quoting: YvanF
Obviously you've not updated yourself with his situation. Gagner fell out of favour with the Nucks and they were sitting him out most games until they simply demoted him to the ahl. Out of respect for the player, they allowed him to report to the ahl affiliate of the Leafs (Marlies) so that he could be closer to his wife (who's a doctor in Toronto).
Now with regards to "falling out of favour with the Nucks"... to me this doesn't say much because I continuously see coaches such as Boucher (favours Borowieki, Pyatt, Smith) in Ottawa, Hitch or even McLellan (Manning, Petrovic, Brodziak, Lucic, etc) for Edmonton as well as Green (Roussel, Beagle, Schaller, Gudbranson) in Vancouver continuously prefer to play heavy/grind it out type players reminiscent of 90's and 00's era hockey. These guys are idiots for not adapting to the new style and pace of play in the current nhl and their resulting standings speak volumes.

okay I see but it doesn't explain if he was as good as people think he is and the way Dubas has been throwing money around and considering Dubas spends time watching Marlies this should have been a warning, since Dubas would have signed him immed.
Feb. 19, 2019 at 10:32 a.m.
Quoting: CoraStorm
okay I see but it doesn't explain if he was as good as people think he is and the way Dubas has been throwing money around and considering Dubas spends time watching Marlies this should have been a warning, since Dubas would have signed him immed.

Unfortunately, because he was loaned out from Vancouver Canucks to The Leaf's affiliate (*Marlies), Dubas has no ability to do anything with the aforementioned asset (Gagner), as it was still the property of the Canucks. The "Loan" of Gagner to the Marlies, is exactly that, a loan. For Gagner to get back into the NHL, it would be reliant on Green... who for some reason, didn't like Gagner and preferred giving heavy minutes to Roussel, Beagle, Schaller.
Feb. 19, 2019 at 1:07 p.m.
Majors and minors
Quoting: YvanF
Unfortunately, because he was loaned out from Vancouver Canucks to The Leaf's affiliate (*Marlies), Dubas has no ability to do anything with the aforementioned asset (Gagner), as it was still the property of the Canucks. The "Loan" of Gagner to the Marlies, is exactly that, a loan. For Gagner to get back into the NHL, it would be reliant on Green... who for some reason, didn't like Gagner and preferred giving heavy minutes to Roussel, Beagle, Schaller.

actually, Dubas had just made a trade w. Vcr in Lievo so they could have incl Gagner.
Feb. 19, 2019 at 2:42 p.m.
crap for crap, no one wins. Funny how roughly this time last year people were talking about how much a steal Spooner was in the BOS/NYR trade...he's not been traded for the 3rd time and cleared waivers once.
Feb. 19, 2019 at 2:59 p.m.
At the time Boston drafted Spooner

Chiarelli - General Manager
Benning - Assistant General Manager
Sweeney - Player Development
Gretzky - Director of Scouting

Anyone know what else these guys have in common?
Feb. 19, 2019 at 3:30 p.m.
Quoting: ON3M4N
At the time Boston drafted Spooner

Chiarelli - General Manager
Benning - Assistant General Manager
Sweeney - Player Development
Gretzky - Director of Scouting

Anyone know what else these guys have in common?

Hahaha. Brutal. So very true.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit