Forums/Armchair-GM

Jets summer signings

Created by: MisstheWhalers
Team: 2019-20 Winnipeg Jets
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 28, 2019
Published: Feb. 17, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
So since everyone thinks the Jets have this big cap crunch coming here's to show why they don't. I think Laine is gonna end up signing a bridge deal for something in between what Scheiffele and Wheeler earn, not sure thats the best course of action but i think thats whats gonna happen and he certainly isn't worth much more then around $7 million at this point, way too many holes in his game to pay him $9 million or more. The Trouba sign and trade happens shortly before the draft and he really needs to go sooner then later, its beyond time to move on from the distraction that he is. Signed Petrovic for cheap defense depth, he's happy he could find a contract for one year. Lol
The young players are another year experienced so there should be growth in their games, lots of turnover on defense but that's the way it is in a cap world, can't keep everyone and teams need to change things up anyway and the Jets definitely do. I really hope they do something like this and not try to keep depth guys like Tanev and Chairot, let someone else overpay them and get themselves into cap hell. Also I'd have more than enough faith in that defense core, Poolman is 25 so not a young rookie and Niku is more than capable of playing on a 2nd pairing role already and the other guys are very serviceable for the 3rd pairing duties. If you think Laine will get more then the solution is don't sign the depth defenseman I did and give some of that money to Laine, regardless there's ways to make this work, the cap crunch stuff with the Jets is really being overblown. For the record, I'm sure they're not going to go this route and are really gonna cripple themselves with some ugly contracts.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
7$6,675,000
2$7,150,000
8$7,115,000
2$925,000
2$875,000
1$825,000
1$1,150,000
2$1,650,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,875,000
Trades
WPG
  1. Hronek, Filip
  2. Saarijärvi, Vili
  3. 2019 2nd round pick (NYI)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$83,000,000$79,877,500$0$455,000$3,122,500
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 6
$6,125,000$6,125,000
C
UFA - 5
$8,250,000$8,250,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 5
$6,675,000$6,675,000
LW
UFA - 7
$5,291,667$5,291,667
C, RW
NMC
UFA - 5
$7,150,000$7,150,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167
LW, RW
RFA - 3
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
C, RW
UFA - 1
$741,667$741,667
RW
UFA - 1
$4,125,000$4,125,000
LW, RW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,916,667$2,916,667
C
UFA - 2
$1,650,000$1,650,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$875,000$875,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,150,000$3,150,000
LD
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
RD
UFA - 2
$6,166,667$6,166,667
G
UFA - 5
$775,000$775,000 (Performance Bonus$60,000$60K)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$7,600,000$7,600,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$825,000$825,000
G
UFA - 2
$4,333,333$4,333,333
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$714,166$714,166 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
RD
RFA - 2
$1,150,000$1,150,000
RD
UFA - 1
$1,875,000$1,875,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 17, 2019 at 3:38 p.m.
isn't that far fetched without knowing how you finish the year
Feb. 17, 2019 at 3:53 p.m.
Wpgman
If Myers resigns hopefuly 3ys@$5per then trade Trouba. Can't trade Trouba if Myers goes.
Would be great if Laine signs for that term and value.
Conner should be equal to Elhers at $6 mil per.
Petan needs a change- back home to Vancouver
Feb. 17, 2019 at 3:58 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Quoting: Wpgman
If Myers resigns hopefuly 3ys@$5per then trade Trouba. Can't trade Trouba if Myers goes.
Would be great if Laine signs for that term and value.
Conner should be equal to Elhers at $6 mil per.
Petan needs a change- back home to Vancouver

Trouba needs to go and so does Myers, need cap savings and it's time they both go anyway. Niku and Poolman are more than ready for bigger roles and if they can score that Hronek kid they'll be set, he's gonna be really good.
Feb. 18, 2019 at 1:55 a.m.
Math and Sports
There's a couple problems here but I'll stick to the biggest one. I'm higher on Poolman than most people. I think he will be an excellent 3rd pairing dman next year who won't make 5.5M/yr. I'm convinced Poolman could even be a 2nd pairing guy that plays a shade under 20min. But thinking that Poolman or Hronek can come in and play top pairing minutes immediately without a major drop-off is pretty outlandish. We're in the business of keeping our contending window open, this trade shuts our window. Maybe temporarily, but it's still not good considering we're trying to put ourselves in the position to win for as many seasons as possible.
Feb. 18, 2019 at 2:11 a.m.
MisstheWhalers
Quoting: TheCelt
There's a couple problems here but I'll stick to the biggest one. I'm higher on Poolman than most people. I think he will be an excellent 3rd pairing dman next year who won't make 5.5M/yr. I'm convinced Poolman could even be a 2nd pairing guy that plays a shade under 20min. But thinking that Poolman or Hronek can come in and play top pairing minutes immediately without a major drop-off is pretty outlandish. We're in the business of keeping our contending window open, this trade shuts our window. Maybe temporarily, but it's still not good considering we're trying to put ourselves in the position to win for as many seasons as possible.

Overpaying Trouba will close the window quicker then anything else will, seriously it's beyond time to move on. Sorry I don't buy that they couldn't win and even keep their window open as long or longer with the defense I've got up above cause don't tell me the defense core that Washington or Pittsburgh had during the last three cups was anymore impressive cause they certainly weren't.
Feb. 18, 2019 at 2:23 a.m.
Math and Sports
Quoting: MisstheWhalers
Overpaying Trouba will close the window quicker then anything else will, seriously it's beyond time to move on. Sorry I don't buy that they couldn't win and even keep their window open as long or longer with the defense I've got up above cause don't tell me the defense core that Washington or Pittsburgh had during the last three cups was anymore impressive cause they certainly weren't.

I think it's pretty fair to judge a defense on its top 4. Bottom pairing has a lot to do with deployment and usage. With that being said, Pitt and Washington's top 4 is equal to or as impressive as ours: Carlsen-Kempny Orlov-Niskanen and Dumoulin-Letang Maatta-Schultz. Are you kidding? We are relying on Ben Chiarot as a top 4 dman and we're saying our defense is good enough not to spend serious resources to maintain or upgrade? I can understand trading Trouba, and I don't think the trade there is even that bad. But icing a lineup with two of Poolman, Niku and Hronek in the top 4 and expecting us to be cup contenders is ridiculous.
Feb. 18, 2019 at 2:40 a.m.
MisstheWhalers
I think it's pretty fair to judge a defense on its top 4. Bottom pairing has a lot to do with deployment and usage. With that being said, Pitt and Washington's top 4 is equal to or as impressive as ours: Carlsen-Kempny Orlov-Niskanen and Dumoulin-Letang Maatta-Schultz. Are you kidding? We are relying on Ben Chiarot as a top 4 dman and we're saying our defense is good enough not to spend serious resources to maintain or upgrade? I can understand trading Trouba, and I don't think the trade there is even that bad. But icing a lineup with two of Poolman, Niku and Hronek in the top 4 and expecting us to be cup contenders is ridiculous.

I think you're underestimating those three considerably. Is paying Trouba $8 million gonna 'keep the window open? No itll close it pretty quick. Jets fans laughed at Oduya when he was here then he won 2 cups in Chicago. You're forgetting Hainsey was top pairing in the Pens 2016 cup, Ron Hainsey seriously is terrible and was terrible then. I'd be happy if they spent resources (of mostly futures not on the roster) for a defensive upgrade for a guy with term like say Lindholm for example cause that'll allow trading Trouba that much easier but spending resources for a rental like Stone will make me throw up in my mouth.
Even if they can sign Stone somehow it'll be a waste, they're bigger needs are on defense or at center.
Feb. 18, 2019 at 3:06 a.m.
Math and Sports
I think you're underestimating those three considerably. Is paying Trouba $8 million gonna 'keep the window open? No itll close it pretty quick. Jets fans laughed at Oduya when he was here then he won 2 cups in Chicago. You're forgetting Hainsey was top pairing in the Pens 2016 cup, Ron Hainsey seriously is terrible and was terrible then. I'd be happy if they spent resources (of mostly futures not on the roster) for a defensive upgrade for a guy with term like say Lindholm for example cause that'll allow trading Trouba that much easier but spending resources for a rental like Stone will make me throw up in my mouth.
Even if they can sign Stone somehow it'll be a waste, they're bigger needs are on defense or at center.

Oduya played about 15min a night. I am more than alright with guys of that caliber playing those minutes for us if they're used properly. Hainsey played 8 regular season games for the Penguins and 25 for them in the playoffs. Hainsey is an outlier. You can tell he is an outlier because he made it to top pairing because of an injury, and finished the playoffs with a 43% shot-share. Betting on winning with Hainsey and winning is straight up luck. If we're building teams here, I'd rather not plan on needing that much luck to win.

Paying Trouba 8mill, is absolutely worth it. The guy absolutely ranges from very good to dominant consistently since he joined the Jets. He absolutely earns his money. Now if he doesn't want to sign long term for that, then I can absolutely humor trading him, but then we go out and resign Myers, because Myers is also decent at what he does in a top 4 role. Chiarot ranges from passable to tire-fire depending on whether Byfuglien is carrying him or not. Now to Chiarot's credit, he is trending upwards through the last two years, but that is pretty marginal considering the jump in role he's playing from the last couple years to this year. Morrissey, Trouba, and Byfuglien are great, nothing bad to say about them, but you're still asking the Jets to carry close to 20 minutes of Chiarot a night, and betting on him is an almost Hainsey level of gamble.

Lindholm would be awesome. Unlikely, but still really great to imagine. But on a more realistic note, I would love Erik Gustafsson. That guy would be the perfect fit for our playoff run and for next year given his contract and that he can absolutely bump Chiarot (and Niku next year) down to 3rd pairing. Beaulieu from the sabres would be nice too, but Gustafsson would be muy bueno.
Feb. 18, 2019 at 3:47 a.m.
MisstheWhalers
Oduya played about 15min a night. I am more than alright with guys of that caliber playing those minutes for us if they're used properly. Hainsey played 8 regular season games for the Penguins and 25 for them in the playoffs. Hainsey is an outlier. You can tell he is an outlier because he made it to top pairing because of an injury, and finished the playoffs with a 43% shot-share. Betting on winning with Hainsey and winning is straight up luck. If we're building teams here, I'd rather not plan on needing that much luck to win.

Paying Trouba 8mill, is absolutely worth it. The guy absolutely ranges from very good to dominant consistently since he joined the Jets. He absolutely earns his money. Now if he doesn't want to sign long term for that, then I can absolutely humor trading him, but then we go out and resign Myers, because Myers is also decent at what he does in a top 4 role. Chiarot ranges from passable to tire-fire depending on whether Byfuglien is carrying him or not. Now to Chiarot's credit, he is trending upwards through the last two years, but that is pretty marginal considering the jump in role he's playing from the last couple years to this year. Morrissey, Trouba, and Byfuglien are great, nothing bad to say about them, but you're still asking the Jets to carry close to 20 minutes of Chiarot a night, and betting on him is an almost Hainsey level of gamble.

Lindholm would be awesome. Unlikely, but still really great to imagine. But on a more realistic note, I would love Erik Gustafsson. That guy would be the perfect fit for our playoff run and for next year given his contract and that he can absolutely bump Chiarot (and Niku next year) down to 3rd pairing. Beaulieu from the sabres would be nice too, but Gustafsson would be muy bueno.

Johnny O played way more then 15 minutes a night when he won cups with Chicago.
Trouba isn't worth $8 million, he just isn't and if they sign him to that then they're screwed. Also if you pay Trouba that much then what's Morrissey get, $9? Cause to me Morrissey is by far the Jets best defenseman.
Trouba isn't worth $8 and Myers isn't gonna be worth whatever increase he gets and being in his very late 20's he needs to go. The cap savings need to be found somewhere and those two are where the savings should be found.
I agree having Chairot in the top 4 isn't ideal but the coach refuses to play Niku so it's the way it is, Chevy needs to do something to either improve the roster for the long term and get someone with term or replace the coach with someone who will use the better players he's been provided.
Gustafsson would actually be the perfect addition, he's very mobile and if they can lock him up his increase will probably take him in the $4-5 million range which is the perfect amount to be paying a defenseman, wonder what it'd take to pry him out of Chicago. Beaulieu would come pretty cheap, could be had for a 3rd or 4th round pick easily. The Jets would be wise to go bargain shopping for an improvement over Chairot, it's too bad there hasn't been any Morrow with Buff this season cause he could maybe get it done for now and he looked good in the playoffs with Buff.
Feb. 18, 2019 at 1:03 p.m.
Math and Sports
Johnny O played way more then 15 minutes a night when he won cups with Chicago.
Trouba isn't worth $8 million, he just isn't and if they sign him to that then they're screwed. Also if you pay Trouba that much then what's Morrissey get, $9? Cause to me Morrissey is by far the Jets best defenseman.
Trouba isn't worth $8 and Myers isn't gonna be worth whatever increase he gets and being in his very late 20's he needs to go. The cap savings need to be found somewhere and those two are where the savings should be found.
I agree having Chairot in the top 4 isn't ideal but the coach refuses to play Niku so it's the way it is, Chevy needs to do something to either improve the roster for the long term and get someone with term or replace the coach with someone who will use the better players he's been provided.
Gustafsson would actually be the perfect addition, he's very mobile and if they can lock him up his increase will probably take him in the $4-5 million range which is the perfect amount to be paying a defenseman, wonder what it'd take to pry him out of Chicago. Beaulieu would come pretty cheap, could be had for a 3rd or 4th round pick easily. The Jets would be wise to go bargain shopping for an improvement over Chairot, it's too bad there hasn't been any Morrow with Buff this season cause he could maybe get it done for now and he looked good in the playoffs with Buff.

You're right. I looked up said stats and Johnny O played a shade under 20. That being said his defense had Keith, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson, Leddy, Stanton, and Roszival all at some point. If Oduya is playing good minutes with that defense, then he was probably earning them.

Morrissey isn't getting 9 because there is nothing about his resume that says he is as good as Trouba. Trouba made the NHL at a younger age, has had a longer career, has put up better numbers, and earlier in his career did it with a d-partner who was an absolute anchor. On a tangent I would actually agree with you, but it's pretty hard for subjectivity to win out in negotiations.

Our cap savings should and probably will come in the form of trading contracts that aren't quite that valuable. We traded Mason last year, no reason we can't do it again. If anything we should be able to do it more efficiently. Perreault is by no means a cap dump, and Kulikov can at least contribute to whoever he gets sent to.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll