SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Did Kyle Dubas/Auston Matthews strengthen the chances of offer sheets?

Feb. 18, 2019 at 11:20 a.m.
Offer sheet Rules state that the AAV must be averaged over the lesser of the term or 5 years. So no one would offer a 6, 7 or 8 year contract because that would automatically mean a compensation of 4 1st round picks.

Now that Matthews has shown the value of a 5 year contract, more RFAs might have some interest. So a 5 year - $50 million contact means the compensation is two 1st round picks, one second and one third. Take a look at this list who is worth two firsts, a second and a third?

Mitch Marner
Patrik Laine
Mikko Rantanen
Brayden Point
Matthew Tkachuk
Brock Boeser
William Karlsson
Sebastian Aho

Granted some of these players are probably closer to the 7 to 9 range. . . in which case the compensation could be less.

I wouldn't mind if the habs gave up two firsts a second and a third for Laine.
Feb. 18, 2019 at 7:09 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Kris1983
Offer sheet Rules state that the AAV must be averaged over the lesser of the term or 5 years. So no one would offer a 6, 7 or 8 year contract because that would automatically mean a compensation of 4 1st round picks.

Now that Matthews has shown the value of a 5 year contract, more RFAs might have some interest. So a 5 year - $50 million contact means the compensation is two 1st round picks, one second and one third. Take a look at this list who is worth two firsts, a second and a third?

Mitch Marner
Patrik Laine
Mikko Rantanen
Brayden Point
Matthew Tkachuk
Brock Boeser
William Karlsson
Sebastian Aho

Granted some of these players are probably closer to the 7 to 9 range. . . in which case the compensation could be less.

I wouldn't mind if the habs gave up two firsts a second and a third for Laine.

Offer sheets are done. Winnipeg would match.
Feb. 19, 2019 at 6:24 a.m.
MTL would be better off w/ Point, Marner, or even Aho than Laine in my opinion. Especially b/c they are playmakers whereas Laine is a finisher and the price for Aho and Point will probably be lower anyway. If I'm the NJD or NYR I'd take Laine b/c they already have decent depth at Center. Imagine the Devils top line of Hall-Nico-Laine. Wow!
Feb. 19, 2019 at 3:35 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: Brian2016
MTL would be better off w/ Point, Marner, or even Aho than Laine in my opinion. Especially b/c they are playmakers whereas Laine is a finisher and the price for Aho and Point will probably be lower anyway. If I'm the NJD or NYR I'd take Laine b/c they already have decent depth at Center. Imagine the Devils top line of Hall-Nico-Laine. Wow!

I’d say the habs would almost definitely rather a finisher than a playmaker, since most of their forwards are playmakers, and they have no true finishers or snipers. MTL also won’t need the depth at C, since we already have KK, Danault, and Domi + Suzuki/Poehling probably.
Feb. 20, 2019 at 4:18 a.m.
Quoting: EthanK24
I’d say the habs would almost definitely rather a finisher than a playmaker, since most of their forwards are playmakers, and they have no true finishers or snipers. MTL also won’t need the depth at C, since we already have KK, Danault, and Domi + Suzuki/Poehling probably.

Point is both a finisher and a playmaker. Laine is just a goal scorer, albeit not much of one since November. Point is an elite Center, excellent defensively, and great on the PP. None of the current MTL Centers are elite. KK could be a #1 Center in a couple years, but he'll probably never be Point.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll