Forums/Armchair-GM

Trade Deadline targets and what should be expected

Created by: SammyT_51
Team: 2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 21, 2019
Published: Feb. 21, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
4C and useful but under radar RHD who is going to be cheap. What I think would happen? It would be someone nobody here expects to be the option they choose to trade for, it always is like that.. maybe few people expect it like some people here called Muzzin trade but it would be someone like that. Someone unexpected is my guess. Who that might be? So many people are here in on Pesce sweepstakes but few people here are in on Hamilton sweepstakes myself included, I dont see fit there but Dubas was really high on him all his career from junior, Leafs management and Canes management have serious talks. Maybe its Pesce, maybe its Hamilton. If the rule is truthful, its the least expected option which means Hamilton.. also they are talking to Rangers apparently. McQuaid? Nothing in history of Dubas says that McQuaid is the kind of pick up he is going to do. Maybe thats why he does it and maybe thats why he does not do it. Jensen.. in reality, there was no talk about Jensen to Leafs, no indication from what I saw. I think thats maybe why Jensen to Leafs would happen. I dont know. Leafs are always doing something very few of us expect to do.

Also friendly remainder for upcoming days and TDL: Dont trust any information unless its done. There is going to be so much trade talk crap
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$79,500,000$80,111,111$2,550,000$5,400,000-$611,111
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 7
$10,277,778$10,277,778
RW
UFA - 6
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
C
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, C
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333
RW
UFA - 1
$787,500$787,500
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 4
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 6
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,050,000$4,050,000
LD
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
G
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 21, 2019 at 7:33 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming
I'm not sure why they'd do a 4c. Goat has been fine and we have an abundance of centres should someone get hurt (Nylander, Marleau, Lindholm etc).

If they do go for an upgrade on d I agree it'll be cheap, reportedly there were two leafs scouts and the Marlies gm watching the wings yesterday (Jensen) so if something were to happen, look there. Who would he displace tho? Mo,Muzzin,gards,and Dermott should be in the lineup, as should be hainsey on the third pair, z had a good playoffs last year that no one seems to remember and should be good again, so the only way I see it happening is if they really like Jensen and think they can extend him they move z as part of the deal.
SammyT_51 liked this.
Feb. 21, 2019 at 8:19 a.m.
Banned
Has everyone just forgotten about Ozhiganov? .. he's a cheap, good, depth dman and they already have him. But if a move is gonna be made, I think a guy like Colin Miller from Vegas makes a lot of sense. He's struggled a bit this year and was a healthy scratch against Boston last night. Vegas might look for a move to try to upgrade a bit. The Leafs were linked to Miller after Vegas got him in the expansion draft, and he played for Dubas in Sault St. Marie in junior so there's familiarity there. I could see a guy like Zaitsev going back the other way along with a draft pick or prospect. Both have similar contracts in terms of salary and years left. Zaitsev would be a great fit in Vegas as they need a dman to run their PP and that's the role that Zaitsev is most useful in. Things have quieted down between the Leafs and Miller talk since the expansion draft so maybe discussions open back up. Could be one of those good hockey trades kinda deal for both teams
SammyT_51 liked this.
Feb. 21, 2019 at 8:39 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
The best thing the Leafs could do now and in the playoffs is get their current bunch of players playing better. Most of their forwards have been inconsistent lately . Having some good games then disappearing in others. And a influx of fourth line centre isn't gong to help Matthews. Marner. Nylander. Marleau, Brown play better.
SammyT_51 liked this.
Feb. 21, 2019 at 9:17 a.m.
Quoting: palhal
The best thing the Leafs could do now and in the playoffs is get their current bunch of players playing better. Most of their forwards have been inconsistent lately . Having some good games then disappearing in others. And a influx of fourth line centre isn't gong to help Matthews. Marner. Nylander. Marleau, Brown play better.

They've been pigeon holed in the 2 seed in the Atlantic for almost the entire season...can sometimes be tough to come out of the gates firing night in and night out...

hopefully seeing home ice advantage no longer in their back pocket will give them some motivation to not simply rely on their skill alone to carry them through 3 periods
Feb. 21, 2019 at 9:36 a.m.
I agree with your assessment of needs.....4C and RHD would be my targets but only if the price is affordable...only way I do something bigger is if there's significant money moving the other way.

Even if Kadri comes back soon...I think a depth center would be a smart move. Gauthier...IMO...is best suited as a cheap contract to sit as a healthy scratch and available to plug in if injuries occur. Having a vet guy in that spot (Kruger, Glendenning...even Staal if you can offload enough cap the other way)….I just think you can never have enough depth up the middle in the playoffs.

I like @jonesryan 's assessment on Miller...McQuaid, Jensen, Carolina d-men have all been speculated at one point or another but Miller is a name no one has really talked about. I haven't seen enough of him playing to have an opinion on him...but that's the under the radar type pickup I could see working.

But the leafs have been scouting so many Hurricane's games you gotta figure something is up there. Their RHD men don't put up a lot of offensive numbers and getting a sense for how effective their d-play is usually requires watching in person to see what they're doing away from the puck.

That being said...I could easily see the leafs not pulling the trigger on anything.
Ryminister_27 liked this.
Feb. 21, 2019 at 10:37 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Juice
I agree with your assessment of needs.....4C and RHD would be my targets but only if the price is affordable...only way I do something bigger is if there's significant money moving the other way.

Even if Kadri comes back soon...I think a depth center would be a smart move. Gauthier...IMO...is best suited as a cheap contract to sit as a healthy scratch and available to plug in if injuries occur. Having a vet guy in that spot (Kruger, Glendenning...even Staal if you can offload enough cap the other way)….I just think you can never have enough depth up the middle in the playoffs.

I like @jonesryan 's assessment on Miller...McQuaid, Jensen, Carolina d-men have all been speculated at one point or another but Miller is a name no one has really talked about. I haven't seen enough of him playing to have an opinion on him...but that's the under the radar type pickup I could see working.

But the leafs have been scouting so many Hurricane's games you gotta figure something is up there. Their RHD men don't put up a lot of offensive numbers and getting a sense for how effective their d-play is usually requires watching in person to see what they're doing away from the puck.

That being said...I could easily see the leafs not pulling the trigger on anything.

Glad you agree. I actually just posted something on my Colin Miller thoughts. Check it out and let me know what you think:

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/1048592

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll