SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(OTT/CBJ) - Duchene, Bergman for Abramov, Davidsson, 2019 1st and a conditional 2020 1st round pick

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Feb. 22, 2019 at 2:43 p.m.
WOW. would not surprise me if he does resign but if he doesn't and they don't trade Panarin they are truly all in this year.
Feb. 22, 2019 at 2:45 p.m.
Quoting: Icegirl
This is actually a great deal for the Sens in a vacuum. But it's horrible asset management.

Colorado Avalanche
Kyle Turris
Shane Bowers
2019 1st round pick (OTT)

Ottawa Senators
Vitali Abramov
Jonathan Davidsson
2019 1st round pick (CBJ)
Possible 2020 1st round pick (CBJ)

Yeah... that's pretty bad.

yeah in hindsight that trade was absolutely awful for Ottawa. Although not many people expected them to suddenly be that terrible with Duchene to make that first round pick a really high one.
Feb. 22, 2019 at 2:46 p.m.
Quoting: tatatavares
1 mid 1st, or 2 late 1sts does not replace even 2 more years of minutes from Duchene

OTT got something, which is better than nothing, but they didn't particularly hurry up the day when the team could be a contender again. Their biggest gain is freeing up ice time to audition a lot of players, and dropping in the standings to get a higher draft pick. However if there is any crackdown on corruption and lobbying, the franchise will be cutting spending to the bone and scouting or player development will be dropping off

Duchene was probably gonna leave OTT this summer. They were likely gonna lose him for nothing if they didn't trade him. By trading him early, they maximized Duchene's value. Everyone hated the Karlsson trade, but OTT won big w/ the emergence of Chabot. Clearly OTT has deep systemic issues starting w/ ownership. This fire sale hasn't changed those problems but it is essential to their future if they want to climb out of the basement at some point.
CD282 and GeraltofRivia liked this.
Feb. 22, 2019 at 2:47 p.m.
Quoting: tatatavares
1 mid 1st, or 2 late 1sts does not replace even 2 more years of minutes from Duchene

OTT got something, which is better than nothing, but they didn't particularly hurry up the day when the team could be a contender again. Their biggest gain is freeing up ice time to audition a lot of players, and dropping in the standings to get a higher draft pick. However if there is any crackdown on corruption and lobbying, the franchise will be cutting spending to the bone and scouting or player development will be dropping off

The real dissater was trading for Duchene in the first place. Can you imagine the fan outrage if OTT wins the draft lottery and COL ends up with the #1 overall pick? WOW.
tatatavares liked this.
Feb. 22, 2019 at 2:50 p.m.
Quoting: awesome
WOW. would not surprise me if he does resign but if he doesn't and they don't trade Panarin they are truly all in this year.

No chance the trade Panarin at this point. They're all in this season. It was either trade Panarin and Bob, or trade nobody and spend big to go for it this year. The market for Bob was clearly very thin. They couldn't trade Bob and not Panarin, or the other way around. Keep both, or trade both; Can't trade one, trade neither.
Feb. 22, 2019 at 2:59 p.m.
Quoting: Jetman
The only ways it's a good return is if Duchene re-signs with Columbus. 2 minor prospects and a 1st if he doesnt.....Does Duchene even want to play in Columbus????

I think the best scenario for Ottawa is if Duchene re-signs in Ottawa. The'll miss out on the 2020 1st, but they'll get a mid-round 2019 1st + 2 prospects in exchange for 2 months of player that they didn't need.
Feb. 22, 2019 at 3:02 p.m.
Buljujarvi
Finally!
Feb. 22, 2019 at 3:04 p.m.
Quoting: CrustyPieMan
Ottawa salvages a pretty good return. Jarmo putting all his chips at the center of the poker table. Bold move for a team that isn’t even in a playoff spot as of now and has no primer on what will happen with Bob and Bread Man.

Quoting: OvisBabes
All that for a 1st round exit? smh I guess Kekalainen doesn't have much of a choice

Quoting: friedberg7
Duchene isn't worth all of this. Columbus would be foolish to resign him after this season

Quoting: DSZ
If Columbus resigns Duchene then Columbus wins the trade but if he doesnt then that was a massive payment for a rental , Columbus better make it far in the playoffs their time is almost up

Quoting: Brian2016
Huge win for OTT. CBJ is all in w/ Panarin and Duchene. Even bigger win for OTT if Duchene re-signs w/ OTT, but that probably won't happen.

Quoting: rangersandislesfan
I'll say Ottawa wins but Columbus might, too. I get that he might be a rental, but the goal is to win the Stanley cup. Still though, risky move from CBJ.

Could be 2 Firsts if he resigns (finally read and understood the conditions) so it does change my opinion a bit

Columbus overpaid .... come on guys?

1. Bergman (a 2nd) = Abramov (a 3rd)
2. Davidsson = an overage 6th
3. None of them project to be an NHL player.

Columbus gave up a mid-late 1st and a 6th round pick for Duchene.
JonJon and tatatavares liked this.
Feb. 22, 2019 at 3:05 p.m.
GM67
To get TWO potential mid First Round Picks for a player that was NOT going to resign with your club is very good plus getting two additional young players. Ottawa should pray very hard that he resigns with Columbus because then this works out great for them. Their team is in shambles and they MUST rebuild through the draft because anyone older who has a choice to play in Ottawa will choose not to because of the atmosphere. Congratulations to both teams because they BOTH need to BEG players to sign with them or else nobody will in the future unless they are young and just want to play hockey. IF Columbus keeps Panarin and makes a big playoff run and BOTH players sign then they win HUGE but the percentage that happens is extremely low. I can only see Duchene staying because he needs to hunker down to a team before he gets traded once again.
Feb. 22, 2019 at 3:12 p.m.
It's not overly crazy. Pretty fair.
Feb. 22, 2019 at 3:25 p.m.
This is the kind of trade that can be really good or really bad for the Blue Jackets. It depends on whether or not they make the playoffs and whether or not Duchene resigns in Columbus. However, you can't say that Jarmo Kekalaienen is not taking risks. Some of them paid off big time. Like when he drafted Pierre-Luc Dubois instead of Jesse Puljujärvi. The man cares about his team, and I love it.
Feb. 22, 2019 at 3:34 p.m.
Quoting: CD282
I think the best scenario for Ottawa is if Duchene re-signs in Ottawa. The'll miss out on the 2020 1st, but they'll get a mid-round 2019 1st + 2 prospects in exchange for 2 months of player that they didn't need.

of course that is the best case scenario for Ottawa. I wouldn't say its that unlikely either, with both Bob and Panarin leaving in offseason that leaves a big hole to fill, and lots of cap space so they can offer Duchene a lot of money.
Feb. 22, 2019 at 4:23 p.m.
Majors and minors
fair trade. those conditions could be nasty for Ottawa though. It's a trade for a team in process of rebuilding. ìf Ottawa fan sees it as a loss their not doing their homework. I personally would have wanted one more draft pick minimum, but Ottawa fan would have seen Abramov play in the Q. Same goes for part time fan Ontario east.
Feb. 22, 2019 at 4:24 p.m.
Majors and minors
Quoting: awesome
yeah in hindsight that trade was absolutely awful for Ottawa. Although not many people expected them to suddenly be that terrible with Duchene to make that first round pick a really high one.

y did u quote Colorado part time fan. it was Columbus?
Feb. 22, 2019 at 4:32 p.m.
habs_fan
the real winners are the avs
Feb. 22, 2019 at 4:48 p.m.
Definitely a boost for the line-up of the Jackets. But they have 3 rentals now and it will hurt them really bad if they all move on after this season without a Stanley Cup. And I don't think the Jackets are good enough to win the Cup. So I don't like the trade for the organization. But they win the trade IMO. They get Duchene without giving up that much. The prospects aren't that great and that draft pick might be a late round pick. Avs are probably very happy with this trade. Senators without Stone, Dzingel and Duchene are really bad lol
SPOTSMAN33 liked this.
Feb. 22, 2019 at 5:59 p.m.
Somewhere Joe Sakic is laughing hysterically.
Feb. 22, 2019 at 6:32 p.m.
J.L.
Could be 2 Firsts if he resigns (finally read and understood the conditions) so it does change my opinion a bit

2 firsts for Duchene with term is still an overpayment or a good deal?
Feb. 22, 2019 at 7:14 p.m.
CBJ won this trade by a mile! Duchene is a 60+ per season guy and even higher on teams that have support around him. Also the D-man prospect they got in Bergman who originally came over from SJ to OTT in the Karlsson deal is a future solid TW top 4 guy! Very high potential. I think he’ll be in the NHL & producing within a season or 2.
Feb. 22, 2019 at 7:30 p.m.
You know nothing JS
Edited Feb. 22, 2019 at 9:00 p.m.
Quoting: Icegirl
This is actually a great deal for the Sens in a vacuum. But it's horrible asset management.

Colorado Avalanche
Kyle Turris
Shane Bowers
2019 1st round pick (OTT)

Ottawa Senators
Vitali Abramov
Jonathan Davidsson
2019 1st round pick (CBJ)
Possible 2020 1st round pick (CBJ)

Yeah... that's pretty bad.

You forgot nearly 2 years of Duchene in OTT line-up ... You can't just put that aside.

I'm a bit tired of Ottawa bashing. Today was a good trade. Abramov is an excellent prospect.

The 2019 first rounder hurts for sure because it will be top 3. But there was no way to know that in November 2017.

If OTT didn't became a cluster fk (No one could have guessed after finishing one goal short of Stanley Cup final) and was just average, it would look pretty fair.

(Your logos are pretty mint though...)
ConnorMcHellebucyk liked this.
Feb. 22, 2019 at 11:15 p.m.
Hockey God Genius
If i was a CBJ fan , I would be excited but also VERY SCARED
BC BOB has proven to be a playoff failure and if yinz get bounced in rd 1 .... U lose all 3 probably and get nothing back except a rebuild with no 1st rdr and no prospects....
gota say tho its ballzy of ur GM .
Feb. 22, 2019 at 11:34 p.m.
Not yet trannycided
Quoting: jpsnow13
You forgot nearly 2 years of Duchene in OTT line-up ... You can't just put that aside.

I'm a bit tired of Ottawa bashing. Today was a good trade. Abramov is an excellent prospect.

The 2019 first rounder hurts for sure because it will be top 3. But there was no way to know that in November 2017.

If OTT didn't became a cluster fk (No one could have guessed after finishing one goal short of Stanley Cup final) and was just average, it would look pretty fair.

(Your logos are pretty mint though...)

Thank you, sweetie. At least I got that right.
Feb. 22, 2019 at 11:53 p.m.
Quoting: drewjenks

And CBJ might not even make the playoffs! Big gamble! This was a good deal for OTT, but everyone keeps thinking about the original Duchene trade last season which was a downright horrible idea. The longer they waited to trade him this season, the less the return.
Feb. 22, 2019 at 11:55 p.m.
Quoting: drewjenks

OTT also has a better shot at a higher draft pick from CBJ than they'd have w/ a team like WPG or CGY. CBJ will likely lose in the 1st round and the pick will end up being a mid-1st.
Feb. 23, 2019 at 12:09 p.m.
Edited Feb. 23, 2019 at 12:14 p.m.
And CBJ might not even make the playoffs! Big gamble! This was a good deal for OTT, but everyone keeps thinking about the original Duchene trade last season which was a downright horrible idea. The longer they waited to trade him this season, the less the return.

OTT also has a better shot at a higher draft pick from CBJ than they'd have w/ a team like WPG or CGY. CBJ will likely lose in the 1st round and the pick will end up being a mid-1st.

But lets assume Ottawa just traded Turris directly to Nashville (they definitely had that option).

Here's what Ottawa gave up for Duchene (pick values):

1. 1st round pick | 001 overall - 2019 | Jack Hughes???
2. 1st round pick | 028 overall - 2017 | Shane Bowers
3. 2nd round pick | 042 overall - 2014 | Vlad Kamenev
4. 2nd round pick | 047 overall - 2016 | Samuel Girard
5. 2nd round pick | 058 overall - 2018 | Filip Hållander
6. 3rd round pick | 063 overall - 2019 | To Be Determined
7. 6th round pick | 150 overall - 2018 | Hammond's Trade Value

And if that pick becomes Jack Hughes .... it's worth three Duchene's on it's own.

I won't even discuss the Hoffman and Karlsson trades ....

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit