SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

If Stone wanted to sign

Team: 2019-20 Boston Bruins
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 24, 2019
Published: Feb. 24, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
How does he fit under the cap if Chara returns and they can't move Backes?
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
8$4,500,000
2$2,500,000
5$6,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$3,000,000
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,500,000$82,040,834$0$962,500$1,459,166
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$6,125,000$6,125,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$6,875,000$6,875,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$450,000$450K)
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$7,250,000$7,250,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$6,666,667$6,666,667
RW
UFA - 4
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,200,000$3,200,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,275,000$1,275,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RD
UFA - 3
$7,000,000$7,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 2
$2,750,000$2,750,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$300,000$300K)
LD/RD
RFA - 3
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LD
UFA - 4

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 24, 2019 at 11:05 a.m.
Chicago
I don't watch a lot of Bruins hockey, but I feel like the difference between McAvoy and Carlo is more than 2 million. Carlo is good but I think he's regressed a bit since his rookie season. May have been a little overhyped.
Feb. 24, 2019 at 11:11 a.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
He doesnt fit within salary cap. You would need to ditch Krug or Miller, Moore + Backes to even think about getting him for cheaper than his value. It would be very hard. Its like Leafs getting Panarin while having cap issues.
Feb. 24, 2019 at 11:11 a.m.
He doesn’t. Period.

Chara retires, Backes is moved with no retention and no salary in return. Probsbly have to trade Krug still.

Then the following year your tapped still and Debrusk, Coyle, Grizz, Miller, Wagner, Halak, Nordstrom, Bjork.all come due.

Short term thinkers don’t get this.
Feb. 24, 2019 at 12:31 p.m.
Bcarlo25
Good god that McAvoy deal is horrific
Feb. 24, 2019 at 7:24 p.m.
Quoting: Gofnut999
He doesn’t. Period.

Chara retires, Backes is moved with no retention and no salary in return. Probsbly have to trade Krug still.

Then the following year your tapped still and Debrusk, Coyle, Grizz, Miller, Wagner, Halak, Nordstrom, Bjork.all come due.

At least somebody understands.
Feb. 24, 2019 at 7:25 p.m.
Quoting: Bcarlo25
Good god that McAvoy deal is horrific

Did you even read the description? Never change Carlo, lol.
Feb. 24, 2019 at 7:28 p.m.
Quoting: NickC1988
I don't watch a lot of Bruins hockey, but I feel like the difference between McAvoy and Carlo is more than 2 million. Carlo is good but I think he's regressed a bit since his rookie season. May have been a little overhyped.

I'm not sure how their contracts will be laid out. One of them may even get bridged because there is lots of money coming loose in two years. If they get signed for any kind of term you won't get them under $10M per for the pair.
Feb. 24, 2019 at 7:32 p.m.
Bcarlo25
Quoting: keepcalmandbergeron
Did you even read the description? Never change Carlo, lol.

K. That McAvoy contract is awful...you’re walking him right to ufa and buying out zero ufa years. There’s a reason that literally never happens in the nhl....it’s asinine.
Feb. 24, 2019 at 7:33 p.m.
Bcarlo25
Quoting: NickC1988

He had a rough year last year. Sophomore slump for sure. He’s been a monster this year.
Feb. 24, 2019 at 8:14 p.m.
K. That McAvoy contract is awful...you’re walking him right to ufa and buying out zero ufa years. There’s a reason that literally never happens in the nhl....it’s asinine.

Whoosh, the whole purpose of this thread went right over your head.
Feb. 24, 2019 at 8:23 p.m.
Bruins Fan
He doesn’t. Period.

Lmao @ putting Wagner and Nordstrom on that list as if they are must haves. The Bruins won't have trouble replacing guys like that lol.
Feb. 24, 2019 at 8:25 p.m.

I'm going to break this down for you. The whole point of this thread is to show how difficult it would be to fit Stone on the team next year. To do that MacAvoy needed to be signed to as low a cap hit as possible. Every UFA year you buy adds to the cap hit. It has nothing to do with what I "think" he will get. Read and try to comprehend the title and description next time instead of just blasting your usual complaints.
Feb. 24, 2019 at 8:26 p.m.
Quoting: Breakaway
Lmao @ putting Wagner and Nordstrom on that list as if they are must haves. The Bruins won't have trouble replacing guys like that lol.

That's not the point. The point is that cap space will be tight no matter what.
Gofnut999 liked this.
Feb. 24, 2019 at 8:41 p.m.

Not the point. Still have to pay someone if it’s not them it’s someone else. And BTW. Wagner has been a nice addition and would be missed. 7th in goals 10th in points from the 4th line, 1st in hits, kills penalties. Not sure what more you want from him.
Feb. 24, 2019 at 8:53 p.m.
Bruins Fan
Not the point. Still have to pay someone if it’s not them it’s someone else. And BTW. Wagner has been a nice addition and would be missed. 7th in goals 10th in points from the 4th line, 1st in hits, kills penalties. Not sure what more you want from him.

No, actually you don't have to pay someone a comparable salary to Wagner which is my point. Scoring from the 4th line is a luxury. It isn't a requirement and the team would be wise to go in a different direction rather than pay Wagner and Nordstrom raises.
Feb. 24, 2019 at 8:57 p.m.
No, actually you don't have to pay someone a comparable salary to Wagner which is my point. Scoring from the 4th line is a luxury. It isn't a requirement and the team would be wise to go in a different direction rather than pay Wagner and Nordstrom raises.

But you still have to pay someone. Which is the point, it’s 7 roster players a couple of which would get significant raises with not enough cap space avaialble.
Feb. 24, 2019 at 8:58 p.m.

Your not getting it. The point is you are losing players that will need replacing. You don't have to give them raises, but you will have to allocate their salary plus cap increases to their replacements. Getting a 4th line and an extra forward for under $4M will be very difficult in two years.
Feb. 24, 2019 at 9:14 p.m.
Bruins Fan
Quoting: keepcalmandbergeron
I'm going to break this down for you. The whole point of this thread is to show how difficult it would be to fit Stone on the team next year. To do that MacAvoy needed to be signed to as low a cap hit as possible. Every UFA year you buy adds to the cap hit. It has nothing to do with what I "think" he will get. Read and try to comprehend the title and description next time instead of just blasting your usual complaints.

Obviously it's made harder to sign Stone if the Bruins decide to keep both Chara and Backes, but they wouldn't do that if they were targeting him which makes this mock complete garbage. Management litterally wouldn't go after Stone if they wanted to keep both Chara and Backes.... is that the point you're trying to prove? Well, everyone who isn't a complete fool already knew that quite well which is why no-one's mentioned it already. It was thought to be obvious enough for everyone to understand that if the team wanted to keep Chara and Backes they wouldn't go out and sign Stone. If they do sign Stone, which they can do in UFA because they can go 10% over the upper limit in the offseason, then they move on from Backes and possibly Chara. How does that need to be explained to anyone? I think you're the only one who didn't understand that. You litterally just proved that you're the biggest fool on here because you thought it worthwhile to suggest that the Bruins can't bring in Stone without moving Backes, but the rest of us already knew that which is why we put Backes in deals or put him on LTIR. I think you fancy yourself a genius, but everyone already knew something had to be done with Backes and if every other fan knows other than you, it's clear management will know it too and something will be done....
Feb. 24, 2019 at 9:19 p.m.
Bruins Fan
But you still have to pay someone. Which is the point, it’s 7 roster players a couple of which would get significant raises with not enough cap space avaialble.

Not enough cap space if you follow exactly what this guys thinks, but theres zero chance Backes is back, like litterally none. If the Bruins go 10% over the cap in the offseason signing Stone then they'll find a way to move Backes and it'll still be worthwhile even if it took a 1st round pick. If a rental deal was going to have a conditional 1st in it to resign Stone then why wouldn't it be smart to pair a 1st with Backes to move his total hit so you can afford Stone in UFA? You're just stating the obvious in this mock which everyone already understood; If the Bruins sign Stone than Backes has to go..... it's common knowledge on here and you should have known that by now.
Feb. 24, 2019 at 9:28 p.m.
Edited Feb. 24, 2019 at 9:55 p.m.
Obviously it's made harder to sign Stone if the Bruins decide to keep both Chara and Backes, but they wouldn't do that if they were targeting him which makes this mock complete garbage. Management litterally wouldn't go after Stone if they wanted to keep both Chara and Backes.... is that the point you're trying to prove? Well, everyone who isn't a complete fool already knew that quite well which is why no-one's mentioned it already. It was thought to be obvious enough for everyone to understand that if the team wanted to keep Chara and Backes they wouldn't go out and sign Stone. If they do sign Stone, which they can do in UFA because they can go 10% over the upper limit in the offseason, then they move on from Backes and possibly Chara. How does that need to be explained to anyone? I think you're the only one who didn't understand that. You litterally just proved that you're the biggest fool on here because you thought it worthwhile to suggest that the Bruins can't bring in Stone without moving Backes, but the rest of us already knew that which is why we put Backes in deals or put him on LTIR. I think you fancy yourself a genius, but everyone already knew something had to be done with Backes and if every other fan knows other than you, it's clear management will know it too and something will be done....

I have yet to see any proposal that I can see happening with trading Backes. Backes has to agree to go there. He has an 8 team trade list. Then they still have to hammer out a deal. Doesn't take a genius to figure out how difficult that will be. But the worst part of your post is that when we (Gofnutand myself) point out that you missed the point you go on this rage about Backes because of your failed reading comprehension and on top of that you attack my intelligence. What exactly are you trying to prove? All you had to do was concede that you missed "A" point and move on. It's not hard, try it sometime.
Feb. 24, 2019 at 9:29 p.m.
Not enough cap space if you follow exactly what this guys thinks, but theres zero chance Backes is back, like litterally none. If the Bruins go 10% over the cap in the offseason signing Stone then they'll find a way to move Backes and it'll still be worthwhile even if it took a 1st round pick. If a rental deal was going to have a conditional 1st in it to resign Stone then why wouldn't it be smart to pair a 1st with Backes to move his total hit so you can afford Stone in UFA? You're just stating the obvious in this mock which everyone already understood; If the Bruins sign Stone than Backes has to go..... it's common knowledge on here and you should have known that by now.

It still is not enough. Do the math. As of now they have 65m in salary already next year for 16 players. Move Backes with no retention and no salary back (good luck). 59m. 15 players. Cap is 83. That’s 24m. Stone, CMac, Carlo going to take roughly 18-21 leaving 3-6 left to sign Heinen, Cehlarik, JFK , replace Chara, Acciari, and Kampfer. Impossible. So now you have to get really creative, piss off the RFAs and low ball them, or trade Krug.
Feb. 24, 2019 at 9:34 p.m.
It still is not enough. Do the math. As of now they have 65m in salary already next year for 16 players. Move Backes with no retention and no salary back (good luck). 59m. 15 players. Cap is 83. That’s 24m. Stone, CMac, Carlo going to take roughly 18-21 leaving 3-6 left to sign Heinen, Cehlarik, JFK , replace Chara, Acciari, and Kampfer. Impossible. So now you have to get really creative, piss off the RFAs and low ball them, or trade Krug.

YES! Somebody gets it again! I think that's at least two gold stars for you today! You seem to be the only one who can carry a conversation around here without name calling and using one line comments.
Feb. 25, 2019 at 9:19 a.m.
Bruins Fan

#1 Chara doesn't need to come back, if he does Moore is out because we don't need a 2.75M 7th defenseman +2.75M
#2 Backes is out, Either trade him with a 1st for a late pick or put him on LTIR +6M
#3 Heinen doesn't need to be back at that price, literally what has he done this year to earn that much.... he's more worth 1.5M +1M Comparable is Josh Anderson
#4 Bridge deals for Carlo and McAvoy... you litterally picked the worst possible deals probably because you just wanted to act like a fool. 8 years is the worst term for Carlo. He's had ups and downs in his career you don't lock a 2nd pair defenseman in for 8 years because his value isn't likely going to rise over 6M in the future. Sign him to a 2year deal a la Trouba +1.5M. Sign McAvoy to a non-idiotic deal..... why would you sign him for 5 years giving him UFA as early as possible? Make him play for a year or 2 at around 4.5M.... +2M Because he's stated he wants a deal comparable to Ekblad.... he doesn't deserve it yet so make him earn it over 2 years....

That's already 13.75M which is more than enough to sign Stone but I can go much deeper into this if you don't understand it yet. The Bruins have a multitude of options to facilitate a Stone signing, you're just clearly not smart enough to understand it which is why you 2 are impressed by a mock that everyone already knew. Literally anyone that made even 1 Bruins Mock either 2018 or 2019 knows its going to be hard to sign a big Time UFA because of Backes and Chara. The only point you made in your mock was that you didn't understand the obvious and felt obligated to point it out to everyone but we're all like "Have you seen our Mocks?.... why do you think Backes being traded is in the majority of mocks especially if it's a 2019 mock and they're signing a UFA?.... you think they did it by accident? Or is it more likely that everyone already knows the Bruins have to move Backes to do something big lol.....
Feb. 25, 2019 at 9:40 a.m.
Edited Feb. 25, 2019 at 12:51 p.m.
#1 Chara doesn't need to come back, if he does Moore is out because we don't need a 2.75M 7th defenseman +2.75M
#2 Backes is out, Either trade him with a 1st for a late pick or put him on LTIR +6M
#3 Heinen doesn't need to be back at that price, literally what has he done this year to earn that much.... he's more worth 1.5M +1M Comparable is Josh Anderson
#4 Bridge deals for Carlo and McAvoy... you litterally picked the worst possible deals probably because you just wanted to act like a fool. 8 years is the worst term for Carlo. He's had ups and downs in his career you don't lock a 2nd pair defenseman in for 8 years because his value isn't likely going to rise over 6M in the future. Sign him to a 2year deal a la Trouba +1.5M. Sign McAvoy to a non-idiotic deal..... why would you sign him for 5 years giving him UFA as early as possible? Make him play for a year or 2 at around 4.5M.... +2M Because he's stated he wants a deal comparable to Ekblad.... he doesn't deserve it yet so make him earn it over 2 years....

That's already 13.75M which is more than enough to sign Stone but I can go much deeper into this if you don't understand it yet. The Bruins have a multitude of options to facilitate a Stone signing, you're just clearly not smart enough to understand it which is why you 2 are impressed by a mock that everyone already knew. Literally anyone that made even 1 Bruins Mock either 2018 or 2019 knows its going to be hard to sign a big Time UFA because of Backes and Chara. The only point you made in your mock was that you didn't understand the obvious and felt obligated to point it out to everyone but we're all like "Have you seen our Mocks?.... why do you think Backes being traded is in the majority of mocks especially if it's a 2019 mock and they're signing a UFA?.... you think they did it by accident? Or is it more likely that everyone already knows the Bruins have to move Backes to do something big lol.....

I did not make the post so quit acting like i did. Nor am i saying it can’t be done. Of course it can. It is just not simple. And hard choices and sacrifices may have to be made.

The numbers i gave you for next year are accurate. And it does not include Backes. Sorry you don’t understand that. ?‍♂️

Seriously this is idiotic and you not are listening because none of the points you just listed have anything to do with my post.

1. Chara don’t care if he comes back or not. Does not matter. Still a roster spot that needs to be filled.
2. Backes was magically gone in my scenario. But you don’t seem to listen. And you can;t put him on LTIR just because you want to.
3. So Heinen who put up 47 as a rookie is worth as much as a guy who has never supassed 30.
4. You can’t just give RFAs what you want to fit your narrative.

Now the numbers i did give you did not include Backes...at all. Waived the magic wand and made him disappear. However. He still has an NTC. He can only be traded to 8 teams of his choosing. What are the odds they want him? And if they do they are not likely to take him without retention, The teams that would are teams he will not want to go to and woukd likely block. You can’t place him on LTIR just because you want to. For what concussions? Then why did we clear him to play and let him all year. He would file a grievance if we tried to LTiR him. If he retires there is likely a recapture penalty for his front loaded contract. The odds of you getting Backes 100% off the books is slim which eats into the cap space even more than the scenario i gave you where he was magically erased.

Glad you live in a fantasy world. I deal with reality.

Absolute best case scenario to make it all fit.

Heinen and JFK are part of deal for Stone and don’t need to be re-signed. Their spots on roster next year are taken by Senyshyn/Kuhlman and Frederic who are still on ELCs.

Backes contract magically disappears. Chara retires.

You have 24m for Stone, CMac, Carlo, Cehlarik and 4 other roster spots to fill.

As i was saying. The first 3 will likely cost between 18-21.

Lets go 19

Chelarik, Frederic, Kuhlman, Urho V will be 3.5 aprox

So you have 1.5 for final spot

So can it be done. Absolutely. Is it a given. No

There is no guarantee that you can dump 100% of Backes. May even be stuck with him another year. Chara may not want to retire. Stone may not want to re-sign here. CMac and Carlo might take bridge deals and make it easier. Or they decide they want long term deals for as much as possible.

Everything has to fall into place just right to make it happen. What are the odds of that. You can’t just snap your fingers and make all that happen just because it’s what you want. Does not work that way.
Feb. 25, 2019 at 5:14 p.m.
Bruins Fan
I did not make the post so quit acting like i did. Nor am i saying it can’t be done. Of course it can. It is just not simple. And hard choices and sacrifices may have to be made.

The numbers i gave you for next year are accurate. And it does not include Backes. Sorry you don’t understand that. ?‍♂️

Seriously this is idiotic and you not are listening because none of the points you just listed have anything to do with my post.

1. Chara don’t care if he comes back or not. Does not matter. Still a roster spot that needs to be filled.
2. Backes was magically gone in my scenario. But you don’t seem to listen. And you can;t put him on LTIR just because you want to.
3. So Heinen who put up 47 as a rookie is worth as much as a guy who has never supassed 30.
4. You can’t just give RFAs what you want to fit your narrative.

Now the numbers i did give you did not include Backes...at all. Waived the magic wand and made him disappear. However. He still has an NTC. He can only be traded to 8 teams of his choosing. What are the odds they want him? And if they do they are not likely to take him without retention, The teams that would are teams he will not want to go to and woukd likely block. You can’t place him on LTIR just because you want to. For what concussions? Then why did we clear him to play and let him all year. He would file a grievance if we tried to LTiR him. If he retires there is likely a recapture penalty for his front loaded contract. The odds of you getting Backes 100% off the books is slim which eats into the cap space even more than the scenario i gave you where he was magically erased.

Glad you live in a fantasy world. I deal with reality.

Absolute best case scenario to make it all fit.

Heinen and JFK are part of deal for Stone and don’t need to be re-signed. Their spots on roster next year are taken by Senyshyn/Kuhlman and Frederic who are still on ELCs.

Backes contract magically disappears. Chara retires.

You have 24m for Stone, CMac, Carlo, Cehlarik and 4 other roster spots to fill.

As i was saying. The first 3 will likely cost between 18-21.

Lets go 19

Chelarik, Frederic, Kuhlman, Urho V will be 3.5 aprox

So you have 1.5 for final spot

So can it be done. Absolutely. Is it a given. No

There is no guarantee that you can dump 100% of Backes. May even be stuck with him another year. Chara may not want to retire. Stone may not want to re-sign here. CMac and Carlo might take bridge deals and make it easier. Or they decide they want long term deals for as much as possible.

Everything has to fall into place just right to make it happen. What are the odds of that. You can’t just snap your fingers and make all that happen just because it’s what you want. Does not work that way.

It really wasn't going to be that hard to make it happen. Backes is out and so could be a number of others like Moore, Coyle, Heinen ect. You don't pass up on 1st liners to keep 3rd liners lol.

It doesn't matter now because Stone is resigning with Vegas and the Bruins won't likely pursue Panarin imo. They could resign MOJO, but that'd be an easier feat so please don't feel like you and you're buddy need to make it harder than it actually is to do so. Backes will work with the team imo to get himself moved to another team if he plays. They'll suggest he's destined to the AHL and he'll take a trade to get another shot or retire or LTIR for Concussions. I'd hardly call the willingness to surrender a 1st round pick to move him waiving a magic wand lmao nor are the other scenarios. Seems pretty realistic to me and most other people of other fan bases would take that deal if they have plenty of cap room and wanted more prospects if it went the trade route. I wouldn't give up a 1st rounder now to move him because Stone won't be on the market and it doesn't make sense to do unless you're getting back a top line player with that cap space.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll