Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Feb. 24, 2019 at 7:22 p.m.
Trade confirmed: Anaheim Ducks - Buffalo Sabres
Trade Details
Anaheim Ducks Acquire:
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
Brendan Guhle · $0$697,500$70,000 (AHL/JR)
2019 1st round pick (SJS - #29 - Brayden Tracey) [Conditional]*
*Conditions: Anaheim will receive the higher of either the San Jose or St. Louis 1st round pick (both owned by Buffalo) based on the final order of selection in the 2019 NHL Draft.

Result: Anaheim will receive Sharks 2019 1st round pick.
Sum: $0$697,500$70,000
Change: -$3,387,500
Change: -$2,690,000
Change: +$70,000
Buffalo Sabres Acquire:
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
Brandon Montour · $3,387,500$3,387,500$3,250,000
Sum: $3,387,500$3,387,500$3,250,000
Change: +$3,387,500
Change: +$2,690,000
Change: +$3,250,000
Feb. 24, 2019 at 7:23 p.m.
Great move by Buffalo
Feb. 24, 2019 at 7:24 p.m.
Lmao, home run for the Ducks. Montour is okay, but Guhle has higher ceiling and they get a 1st? Okay.
GeraltofRivia, HabsForEver, NARC311 and 4 others liked this.
Feb. 24, 2019 at 7:27 p.m.
Fair deal. Ducks easily get more value, but great trade for buffalo as they make their playoff push. If they miss playoffs though, they lost
Feb. 24, 2019 at 7:34 p.m.
Ryan Miller Is God
Trading from a position of strength really makes this a win for Buffalo. Their LHD should be set with Dahlin, Pilut, and McCabe (respectively down the depth-chart). Their RHD needs help with only Ristolainen being a competent top-4 defenseman. If Montour can come back to form and maybe bulk-up a bit, I think they really improved a position they're deficient in (replacing the oft-injured Bogosian and regressing Scandella).

Fair deal to Anaheim though, they are fully committed to the rebuild and it seemed Montour wasn't welcome anymore. Guhle has been stagnating a bit at the AHL level, hopefully he finds a second wind.
GMTD liked this.
Feb. 24, 2019 at 7:45 p.m.
Quoting: Jded
Fair deal. Ducks easily get more value, but great trade for buffalo as they make their playoff push. If they miss playoffs though, they lost

Not necessairly because Montour needed a change of scenery anyway and he didn't want to play for the Ducks anymore.
GMTD liked this.
Feb. 24, 2019 at 7:52 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Is Guhle still considered a pretty top prospect? It doesn't look like enough for Montour, but maybe i'm undervaluing Guhle.

What happens if both SJS and STL picks are in 2020? I'm not saying that's realistically going to happen but just a what if. Which pick does Anaheim get?
GMTD liked this.
Feb. 24, 2019 at 8:02 p.m.
Sabres are elite
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Is Guhle still considered a pretty top prospect? It doesn't look like enough for Montour, but maybe i'm undervaluing Guhle.

What happens if both SJS and STL picks are in 2020? I'm not saying that's realistically going to happen but just a what if. Which pick does Anaheim get?

SJS pick has to be 2019, their 2020 pick went to Ottaw. Also, Guhle is a good prospect but we just didn't have room for him (or didn't make room). He will probably turn out to be a similar player to Montour
Feb. 24, 2019 at 8:05 p.m.

Guhle has great potential, but his development has slowed behind logjam at his position in the Sabres organization.
Feb. 24, 2019 at 8:12 p.m.
habs_fan
oof for ducks just y
GMTD liked this.
Feb. 24, 2019 at 8:41 p.m.
I like this deal for both sides.

Anaheim gets a good defensive prospect + a 1st round pick for a top 4 defensemen

Buffalo gets a top 4 defensemen for a Prospect they don't need and a 1st round pick that they have 3 of.

Great deal for both sides.
hardrock2580 and GMTD liked this.
Feb. 24, 2019 at 8:51 p.m.

Guhle is still a phenominal skater, but the other aspects of his game have really stagnated in the past year or so. He's been passed by a few others this season in the defensive prospect pool (Pilut, Borgen), and I know Rochester fans have had their frustrations with him this season. Hopefully he can get back on track in San Diego.
GMTD liked this.
Feb. 24, 2019 at 9:09 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Skyraider112
SJS pick has to be 2019, their 2020 pick went to Ottaw. Also, Guhle is a good prospect but we just didn't have room for him (or didn't make room). He will probably turn out to be a similar player to Montour

If SJS misses the playoffs this year, Ottawa gets the pick instead.
rebecca and GMTD liked this.
Feb. 24, 2019 at 9:10 p.m.
Honestly don't know enough about Montour to judge the fairness of this deal but our #2 defense prospect and a first seems like a heavy payment.

I'm going to trust BOTs knows what he's doing, I'm happy to see he's active. Every little bit helps.

Someone from our current NHL D core will be on the move now. Probably Beaulieu, which is too bad, he's a decent player. I get nervous every time someone mentions Risto in a trade. Easily our best D man at the moment.
GMTD liked this.
Feb. 24, 2019 at 9:30 p.m.
Crazy Penguins Fan
Wow, okay. Anaheim just gave up a quality RHD who can put up points, but is also a minus player. Guhle is also young, but is a LHD, and Anaheim is solid on the left side. This trade more or less confims that tue Ducks are rebuilding;
GMTD liked this.
Feb. 24, 2019 at 9:32 p.m.
Hardcore Sabres fan
Quoting: Dahlin_On_Me
Honestly don't know enough about Montour to judge the fairness of this deal but our #2 defense prospect and a first seems like a heavy payment.

I'm going to trust BOTs knows what he's doing, I'm happy to see he's active. Every little bit helps.

Someone from our current NHL D core will be on the move now. Probably Beaulieu, which is too bad, he's a decent player. I get nervous every time someone mentions Risto in a trade. Easily our best D man at the moment.

Dahlin is our best defenseman and it's a decent gap between him and Ristolainen.

Dahlin is just as good offensively as Ristolainen if not better and is definitely better defensively
GMTD liked this.
Feb. 24, 2019 at 10:46 p.m.
Quoting: CapFriendly
Trade confirmed: Anaheim Ducks - Buffalo Sabres

Is Montour wose then everyone has lead me to believe?
Feb. 24, 2019 at 10:56 p.m.
Ducks get the winner on this one. No way Montour beats out Guhle and they got a 1st along with it.
Lilka liked this.
Feb. 24, 2019 at 11:39 p.m.
Brandon Montour is, by most accounts, easily among the Top 40 RHD in the NHL today (possibly in the Top 30). A very strong 2nd pair but with a legitimate case to be a 1st pairing defender. Combined with the crop of other young D-Men that have arrived/taken strides this season (Dahlin, Pilut, Ristolainen, McCabe), adding Montour whist not subtracting anyone off their current roster immediately raises the Buffalo blue-line from slightly below-average to easily among the Top 5-10 in the NHL (with a trajectory that will only make them better in the next 2-3y).

As others have iterated, Guhle was buried in the depth chars on the LHD side, and so really while an “asset” in the abstract, held little to no intrinsic value for Buffalo as an organization beyond what he could recoup. And wow, does he fetch a big fish.

The 1st round pick is a wild-card. If Buffalo has another surge and makes the playoffs then Anaheim is likely looming at around 18th give or take, possibly later if Buffalo upsets the top seed. But - if Buffalo misses the playoffs (and by most prognostications that’s at least an 80% probability), then we’re looking at a lottery pick, albeit one with very long odds. If Buffalo misses the playoffs and “wins” the lottery (moving up to the top 2/3) then Anaheim wins. But in the other 96% of scenarios I find it hard to fathom a borderline LHD and a mid-round 1st providing more value than a young RHD in the Top 30/40 of the NHL.

There’s the 80% possibility that Buffalo
GMTD liked this.
Feb. 25, 2019 at 4:53 a.m.
Can't really argue that Buffalo just got a solid 20min+ dman, that should be able to give Ristolainen a much needed breather in pressure situations. All that at a very sweet 3.3875 cap hit for 1 more season after this. Guhle may just be a great dman that has a higher offensive ceiling than Montour, but given Buffalo's recent lottery success, they are kind of too deep on the left side to allow proper development of Guhle (though they could have tried slotting a leftie on the right and save some future prospects....this seems oddly familiar of Buffalo....pretty sure they did something similar the last time they got good assets/team).
GMTD liked this.
Feb. 25, 2019 at 6:28 a.m.
Banned
It's way to early to call winner and losers on this trade.

Guhle is only 21. If he was a forward, we could pretty much all agree his time to get the the NHL was almost up. But defensemen tend to get an extra year or two. Not saying it's right or wrong, it's just the way it is. Personally I think you can either play or you can't. As long as the coaching isn't ruining you. See Edmonton on Schultz.

I don't think he starts right away. The pick is mid to late round. It's ok, not a ton of value there. mid 40s % chance of turning into something.

Montour didn't get a real look at the pro level till he was 23. I'd say he's pretty solid and only 24.

On current value buffalo wins this. That can change though so no sense trying to pick a winner and loser here.
Jun. 20, 2019 at 8:59 p.m.
Eichel Tower
I agree with all of you, Buffalo did very well and I am really happy. I only wish Dallas could have won either game 6 or 7, then Buffalo would have had the 19th over all.

Quoting: Dahlin_On_Me

I have watched Guhle while he is fast he thinks his speed will make up for poor positional play, Maybe he can be coached to play better but he was 10th or 11th on the Sabre defenseman depth chart before he was traded. During his 20 games with Buffalo, Montour was the Sabres best defenseman. If he can play next year as well as he did this year, it would make the Sabres defense well above average. I loved the trade when I read it.
Quoting: rebecca
Brandon Montour is, by most accounts, easily among the Top 40 RHD in the NHL today (possibly in the Top 30). A very strong 2nd pair but with a legitimate case to be a 1st pairing defender. Combined with the crop of other young D-Men that have arrived/taken strides this season (Dahlin, Pilut, Ristolainen, McCabe), adding Montour whist not subtracting anyone off their current roster immediately raises the Buffalo blue-line from slightly below-average to easily among the Top 5-10 in the NHL (with a trajectory that will only make them better in the next 2-3y).

As others have iterated, Guhle was buried in the depth chars on the LHD side, and so really while an “asset” in the abstract, held little to no intrinsic value for Buffalo as an organization beyond what he could recoup. And wow, does he fetch a big fish.

The 1st round pick is a wild-card. If Buffalo has another surge and makes the playoffs then Anaheim is likely looming at around 18th give or take, possibly later if Buffalo upsets the top seed. But - if Buffalo misses the playoffs (and by most prognostications that’s at least an 80% probability), then we’re looking at a lottery pick, albeit one with very long odds. If Buffalo misses the playoffs and “wins” the lottery (moving up to the top 2/3) then Anaheim wins. But in the other 96% of scenarios I find it hard to fathom a borderline LHD and a mid-round 1st providing more value than a young RHD in the Top 30/40 of the NHL.

I am happy I am writing that at the end of the season. So Buffalo gave up a very late first round pick and a defenseman who was 10th or 11th on the depth chart for what you think and I saw is a very good defenseman. Guhle will never be as good as Montour is now. Guhle has produced slightly better in the AHL as Montour has produced in the NHL. I have no idea what Buffalo will need to pay him, but so far this trade looks awesome.
Quoting: oilersfan089
Can't really argue that Buffalo just got a solid 20min+ dman, that should be able to give Ristolainen a much needed breather in pressure situations. All that at a very sweet 3.3875 cap hit for 1 more season after this. Guhle may just be a great dman that has a higher offensive ceiling than Montour, but given Buffalo's recent lottery success, they are kind of too deep on the left side to allow proper development of Guhle (though they could have tried slotting a leftie on the right and save some future prospects....this seems oddly familiar of Buffalo....pretty sure they did something similar the last time they got good assets/team).

I agree, and in general RHD are more valuable than LHD. To date Guhle has produced only slightly better in the AHL than Montour has produced in the NHL. At 70 years old I did back flips when I saw the trade. TBH, I thought Ristolainen would be traded the next day, I am just as happy that he was not. I think he will only get better and as has been mentioned, Montour can and will take some of the work load off of Ristolainen. Not to mention Dahlin's minutes will increase as well.
rebecca and gretzkyghosts liked this.
Jun. 29, 2019 at 3:11 a.m.
I like Ducks on this never really huge fan of Montour so maybe I'll be wrong smile... Just seems like they got a lot for a player many can't get enough for better ones in trades wink...
Apr. 10, 2021 at 2:34 p.m.
Buljujarvi
Looking rough rn ngl
EsoYeezus69 and Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 12, 2021 at 7:16 a.m.
Quoting: rebecca

That aged well.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit