Forums/NHL Trades

(VAN/PIT) - Gudbranson for Pearson

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Feb. 27, 2019 at 7:25 p.m.
Habs/Pens fan
Quoting: palhal
They couldn't made the deal before Monday?

They weren't doing anything before Sunday.
Mar. 12, 2019 at 12:40 p.m.
Big John T
Quoting: kaljakori
Bad dman for a meh, but overpaid, mid-6 forward. What is GMJR doing?

Quoting: toque
Can't believe any team would be in on Gusbranson with that contract. Him and Jack Johnson as a pairing..

Quoting: ProfessorFuzzymuffins
I am now convinced that Jim Rutherford lost his mind after winning consecutive Stanley Cups.

Quoting: CFMan
Gudbranson is Badbranson. Vancouver Wins, Pearson is a good 3rd liner.

Quoting: MountRoyal514
Gudbranson was a perfect d-man for a different era : really big and really mean. Those attributes are far less useful now, he hasn't surpassed 15 points in a season. But Pitts has injuries and I guess that forced their hand. And the per-season cost is pretty much the same.

Quoting: jasondomitrovic
I think Pittsburgh wins because Tanner was doing nothing for us. Gudbranson could improve greatly with the influence of Gonchar because the skills that Serg has Gudbranson needs. This is the key element and Pittsburgh had to add a D man.

Quoting: rangersandislesfan
I think Vancouver wins the trade. Pittsburgh adds defence to help them out but I don't see it as a fair deal. I see Pearson having more value than Gudbranson.

Quoting: pharrow
They needed someone to keep teams honest. They got a guy who went toe to toe with wilson who tried to jump him and won.

People aren't looking at this trade right. The penguins won this trade. He'll help clean up some of the thuggery. They unloaded pearson which had to happen. I hope they bring in Angelo for the forward spot now.

Too worried about his defensive stats. He'll be fine. He has a lot more talent around him now.

Quoting: PrisonBull
I can't believe the Canucks got an NHL playerer in return for Guddy. He has the worst +/- in the league. Much like the Spooner/Gagner trade, the contract is a wash with the Canucks saving $250K in cap space. Big win for GMJB.

Quoting: punchmaster11
What in the name of Mike Lange is GMJR doing?!

Quoting: oilersfan089
Wow, another weird one. I guess Pitts really need a dman to fill some holes caused by injuries, but Gudbranson? I'm sure they could have traded Pearson to Edmonton for Russel, who is at least more useful and doesn't take as many penalties as Gudbranson (*_* )/`83pms`\( *_*) and a glorious -27 (but who really cares about +/- in our advanced stats age "\(~.~)/"). Don't even ask about his advanced stats. Vancouver gets another overpaid bottom 6 "vet", which I'm sure they're fine with. Speed on the back end (skating and puck movement), a youthful top 6 that is offensively potent, and a bottom 6 full of overpaid "vets" that will probably throw everything at a playoff run when it comes. But an aging roster in Pittsburgh isn't winning anytime soon utilizing Pearson in a bottom 6 role; they have enough players that can slot in there right now. I'm guessing they look at how the Islanders have been winning and realize they need more grit, strength, and size on their back end, simply to get out there against the Isles big 4th line (Martin, Clutterbuck, Cizikas); that is a mean line that isn't well contained in the East style of play.

Quoting: Missouri
OH! Penguins shakes head Horrible deal. He is a large defenseman but still. You had to trade forward help for him!

Quoting: awesome
Should have got Vancouver to retain a bit, Gudbranson is not worth 4mil a year from the looks of it, it is nice to have somebody to beat the other teams goons up but 4mil is a lot for an enforcer that Sullivan may or may not play(I.E Reaves)

Quoting: BoltsPoint21
If you think Pittsburgh in anyway won the trade... I have no idea what to say.

Quoting: gregb569
all wrong once again

Quoting: thelastlongbow
Gudbranson is also an RHD while only being 27. I don't think this is as bad a trade as they're saying.

The trade verdict at this point is:
58 - Vancouver wins
4 - Fair deal
4 - Pittsburgh wins

Gudbranson possession stats for 5on5-close: 59.2% CF, 58.3% FF
Gudbranson has led the entire Penguins in Corsi/Fenwick since the trade, without sheltered zone starts.
Crosby not getting punched is just a bonus

Pearson is scoring at 1.8 G/60, 85.9% CF, 56.1%.

Both have played 6 games. It's early, but there is a good chance of this trade working out for both teams.

Let this be a lesson to all the negative nancies who pooh-pooh any potential trade. You can't win anything if you don't take action, and there's no trophy for the person who wishes the hardest to get the lopsided trade of their dreams. A dozen opinions on a forum weigh up to diddly squat in reality.

It's so comfortable to go after UFAs, but most of them end up being anchors. A GM with guts can get a better deal in the trade market.
Mar. 12, 2019 at 5:15 p.m.
GM67
Sorry Boys! Pittsburgh has WON THIS TRADE. in 6 games Pearson has 1 goal and is a minus -3 AND in 6 games Gudbranson has 1 assist and is a PLUS +5. AND Pittsburgh has improved defensively since his addition. Let's Go Pens!
Missouri liked this.
Mar. 12, 2019 at 5:28 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Sorry Boys! Pittsburgh has WON THIS TRADE. in 6 games Pearson has 1 goal and is a minus -3 AND in 6 games Gudbranson has 1 assist and is a PLUS +5. AND Pittsburgh has improved defensively since his addition. Let's Go Pens!

Imagine using plus minus to justify something
mhockey91, ProfessorFuzzymuffins, LicMysak and 1 other person liked this.
Mar. 12, 2019 at 7:42 p.m.
Quoting: tatatavares
The trade verdict at this point is:
58 - Vancouver wins
4 - Fair deal
4 - Pittsburgh wins

Gudbranson possession stats for 5on5-close: 59.2% CF, 58.3% FF
Gudbranson has led the entire Penguins in Corsi/Fenwick since the trade, without sheltered zone starts.
Crosby not getting punched is just a bonus

Pearson is scoring at 1.8 G/60, 85.9% CF, 56.1%.

Both have played 6 games. It's early, but there is a good chance of this trade working out for both teams.

Let this be a lesson to all the negative nancies who pooh-pooh any potential trade. You can't win anything if you don't take action, and there's no trophy for the person who wishes the hardest to get the lopsided trade of their dreams. A dozen opinions on a forum weigh up to diddly squat in reality.

It's so comfortable to go after UFAs, but most of them end up being anchors. A GM with guts can get a better deal in the trade market.

there's no way Gudbranson is gonna actually be solid for pit long term but I'm praying im wrong haha
Mar. 13, 2019 at 1:11 a.m.
Quoting: tatatavares

Never, never, never judge a performance by a sample size of so few games. Yes, he's played well for six games. Compare that with over 400 games where he was actively hurting his team just being on the ice. Not to mention, you might want to look at his PDO during his time with the Penguins: it's 105.6, more than 7 points above his career average.
Mar. 14, 2019 at 6:12 a.m.
gregb569
Quoting: krakowitz
Imagine using plus minus to justify something

well Gubranson has been on the ice for more goals for and less against than Pearson so I'd definitely say that is a positive..
jasondomitrovic liked this.
Mar. 14, 2019 at 5:13 p.m.
GM67
bottom line...Guds has helped the Pens more than Pearson has helped the Canucks. PENS WIN!
Mar. 14, 2019 at 5:13 p.m.
GM67
Quoting: gregb569
well Gubranson has been on the ice for more goals for and less against than Pearson so I'd definitely say that is a positive..

bottom line...Guds has helped the Pens more than Pearson has helped the Canucks. PENS WIN!
gregb569 liked this.
Mar. 14, 2019 at 7:53 p.m.

so combining small sample size and +/- into an argument.... wow.

For the record I think I voted fair deal, and my initial problem with the trade wasn't the play of Gudbranson or what he would bring, it was just his contract. That is the problem that doesn't go away. Cap space next year remains a problem.
Apr. 12, 2019 at 1:29 a.m.
19 games each. 9 goals and 12 points vs 2 assists.
Jun. 29, 2019 at 3:23 a.m.
Pearson was my 2nd favorite player on KIngs... Funny both teams that traded him away lost the deals very badly... He is a quality player whose numbers were down like every single player on Kings so it wasn't just him... So mad that Kings traded a 1st rounder they had on a nice contract for total trash in a player who couldn't play in west that got hurt fast... Penguins get a nice D-man maybe but he was a bust for Canucks they had to get rid of... Easy to find a spot for 12 forwards w/ Pearson who can play PK or PP if not any role from upper lines to lower... He has nice speed, could get in corners, generate chances setting up plays over scoring goals... Blake needs to be fired for trading him the first time, Penguins need to try to improve on D so I understand them making a stupid move like this smile...
Oct. 25, 2019 at 5:30 p.m.

PGH = Guddy traded to Ana for a bag of pucks. VAN = Pearson is a solid Top 9 overall getting Top 6 time on the 2nd line. 28 GP 11 G 5 A
Oct. 25, 2019 at 6:14 p.m.
GM67
Quoting: PrisonBull
PGH = Guddy traded to Ana for a bag of pucks. VAN = Pearson is a solid Top 9 overall getting Top 6 time on the 2nd line. 28 GP 11 G 5 A

We don’t need Pearson, didn’t need Pearson, we’ve moved on from Pearson. Now we get rid of Guds because we have someone younger, better, cheaper in John Marino that not only replaces Guds but who can play top line minutes. AND we snagged Marino for basically nothing plus we at least get a 7th round pick which we can use to move up a few rounds in the deeper drafts that are ahead. Sure, we don’t score a huge deal but we did just dump 4 million in salary cap without having to retain any salary and that’s huge.
Mar. 2, 2020 at 1:59 a.m.
Looks like Tanner is having a career year: GP 64 G 19 A 24 Pts 43
Oct. 30, 2020 at 9:37 a.m.
Buljujarvi
Quoting: ProfessorFuzzymuffins
I am now convinced that Jim Rutherford lost his mind after winning consecutive Stanley Cups.

How convinced are you now?
Oct. 30, 2020 at 7:01 p.m.
Quoting: ConnorMcHellebucyk
How convinced are you now?

At this point I'm wondering if he was crazy all along and just stumbled his way into multiple championships.
ConnorMcHellebucyk liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit