$1,050,000$1,050,000
LW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$1,475,000$1,475,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
C
UFA - 2
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$800,000$800,000
C
RFA - 5
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,600,000$1,600,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$3,387,500$3,387,500
RD
UFA - 2
$2,750,000$2,750,000
G
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$5,142,857$5,142,857
RD
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 6
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$812,500$812,500
RD
UFA - 2
$2,250,000$2,250,000
LD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 1, 2019 at 3:52 p.m.
Absolutely not
Shibbal18 liked this.
Mar. 1, 2019 at 3:55 p.m.
OnlyLeafs
I don't mind this deal in terms of the players but the last thing the leafs need is less cap space. Leafs say no, but I like the idea.
gretzkyghosts liked this.
Mar. 1, 2019 at 4:10 p.m.
Shibbal18
Thats horrid for Buffalo
wojme, Spanky227 and sabres89 liked this.
Mar. 1, 2019 at 4:48 p.m.
In Pridham we trust
Quoting: OnlyLeafs
I don't mind this deal in terms of the players but the last thing the leafs need is less cap space. Leafs say no, but I like the idea.

It's pretty well Kadri for Risto and Mittelstadt, I'm not the biggest Risto fan, but the Leafs say yes in a heartbeat and worry about capsapce later. They can flip Sheary somewhere else right away if needed.
Mar. 1, 2019 at 5:28 p.m.
Just utterly ridiculous
Mar. 1, 2019 at 5:28 p.m.
Quoting: Barilko14
It's pretty well Kadri for Risto and Mittelstadt, I'm not the biggest Risto fan, but the Leafs say yes in a heartbeat and worry about capsapce later. They can flip Sheary somewhere else right away if needed.

As you can see the Sabre fans think this is a terrible trade for them. I see it a little differently:
Kadri, Nazem for Ristolainen, Rasmus, a hockey trade Kadri would be the Sabres' #2 center for a good offensive defenseman
Zaitsev, Nikita for Mittelstadt, Casey this may favor the Leafs, if Zaitsev turns out to be better than Bogosian, and Mittelstadt turns into a 3rd line center then Buffalo wins easily.
2019 2nd round pick (TOR) for Sheary, Conor this is probably more than Botterill could get for Sheary.
Der-Arguchintsev, Semyon, 2020 3rd round pick (TOR) and 2019 5th round pick (TOR) just to make the trade overwhelmingly favor the Sabres
Der-Arguchintsev, Semyon is a really good prospect, and would be the Sabre's top prospect after Nylander (presuming Pilut, Thompson and Dahlin are no longer prospects)
TBH, I think Zaitsev is much better than fans believe. He has become the Phil Kessel of the Leafs. His advanced stats are about equal to Ristolainen. So in the most optimistic review of this trade Ristolainen for Zaitsev, Mittelstadt for Kadri and everything else for Sheary.
Mar. 1, 2019 at 5:29 p.m.
Quoting: Shibbal18
Thats horrid for Buffalo

After watching thompson and mittlestadt all year up here, i cannot see botterill moving his players. Risto, sure he might move him.
Mar. 1, 2019 at 5:31 p.m.
yes, you are correct, I should take Mittelstadt and Ristolainen out of the trade then it will be closer to fair.

Quoting: wojme
Absolutely not

Quoting: Shibbal18
Thats horrid for Buffalo

Quoting: littlejerryseinfeld
Just utterly ridiculous
Mar. 1, 2019 at 5:36 p.m.
If you think zaitsev for mitts is fair, you are insane
Juice liked this.
Mar. 1, 2019 at 6:13 p.m.
Quoting: wojme
If you think zaitsev for mitts is fair, you are insane

You did see I said "So in the most optimistic review of this trade", I actually do not believe that would be fair, because if you would actually read my comment with understanding, I said "Kadri, Nazem for Ristolainen, Rasmus, a hockey trade", which would help both teams. Buffalo needs a #2 center and Toronto needs a RHD, this is called a hockey trade.
Mar. 1, 2019 at 6:43 p.m.
In Pridham we trust
Quoting: gretzkyghosts
As you can see the Sabre fans think this is a terrible trade for them. I see it a little differently:
Kadri, Nazem for Ristolainen, Rasmus, a hockey trade Kadri would be the Sabres' #2 center for a good offensive defenseman
Zaitsev, Nikita for Mittelstadt, Casey this may favor the Leafs, if Zaitsev turns out to be better than Bogosian, and Mittelstadt turns into a 3rd line center then Buffalo wins easily.
2019 2nd round pick (TOR) for Sheary, Conor this is probably more than Botterill could get for Sheary.
Der-Arguchintsev, Semyon, 2020 3rd round pick (TOR) and 2019 5th round pick (TOR) just to make the trade overwhelmingly favor the Sabres
Der-Arguchintsev, Semyon is a really good prospect, and would be the Sabre's top prospect after Nylander (presuming Pilut, Thompson and Dahlin are no longer prospects)
TBH, I think Zaitsev is much better than fans believe. He has become the Phil Kessel of the Leafs. His advanced stats are about equal to Ristolainen. So in the most optimistic review of this trade Ristolainen for Zaitsev, Mittelstadt for Kadri and everything else for Sheary.

I don't miss many Leafs games. I know what Zaitsev is, unless Mittlestadt's development not only stalled but has reversed in a irreparable way, this trade overwhelmingly favours the Leafs and I say this as a big Kadri fan.

P.s. If SDA is your best prospect, your scouts and development team needs to be fired.
gretzkyghosts and wojme liked this.
Mar. 1, 2019 at 9:09 p.m.
I won't comment on the trade because it's an absolute landslide win for the leafs....but want to comment on Buffalo player development....what's going on there?

Alex Nylander was always pegged to be better than Willy....Mittelstadt was (and still is) a terrific pick and supposed to be a slam dunk #2 behind Eichel. Casey needs some more time before we can draw conculsions on him...but there's not a lot of high-end, home-grown talent outside of Jack.

I think a big thing that helped the leafs when Babcock came was sitting down with the AHL coaches and making sure a certain style/philosophy permeated through both levels...and we've started to see some dividends with guys getting called up and fitting in pretty seamlessly.

What's the thoughts from Buffalo fans about how your blue chip prospects are being brought up?
Mar. 1, 2019 at 9:15 p.m.
I don't miss many Leafs games. I know what Zaitsev is, unless Mittlestadt's development not only stalled but has reversed in a irreparable way, this trade overwhelmingly favours the Leafs and I say this as a big Kadri fan.

P.s. If SDA is your best prospect, your scouts and development team needs to be fired.

Thank you very much. First, thanks for your assessment of Mittelstadt and Zaitsev, second yes the Sabre prospect pool is very soft. They have only two NHL players from the DATM era, while it is too early to tell from the Botterill era (but it does look much better) no one has separated himself from the rest of the pack.
I do not see as much of Zaitsev as you do, but I do get to see the Buffalo defense (70 goals surrendered in the previous 17 games), and he may be better than any of them other than Dahlin, Montour and Ristolainen. I will obviously defer to your analysis.
Mar. 1, 2019 at 9:19 p.m.
In Pridham we trust
Quoting: Juice
I won't comment on the trade because it's an absolute landslide win for the leafs....but want to comment on Buffalo player development....what's going on there?

Alex Nylander was always pegged to be better than Willy....Mittelstadt was (and still is) a terrific pick and supposed to be a slam dunk #2 behind Eichel. Casey needs some more time before we can draw conculsions on him...but there's not a lot of high-end, home-grown talent outside of Jack.

I think a big thing that helped the leafs when Babcock came was sitting down with the AHL coaches and making sure a certain style/philosophy permeated through both levels...and we've started to see some dividends with guys getting called up and fitting in pretty seamlessly.

What's the thoughts from Buffalo fans about how your blue chip prospects are being brought up?

I can't comment on Buffalo, but imo a big part of Leafs player development now stems from flexing their financial muscle.

I've read articles stating they'll have as many as 12 coaches on the ice during Marlies practices. They'll let Keefe run his usual practice, then the skills coaches will split the team in to 2 groups and just work on individual skills.

The fact they've been able to develop guys like Moore, gauthier, Holl from guys with a 1% chance of playing in the NHL a few years ago to fringe or legit nhl players is a pretty good sign. Not too mention how the Kappy and johnssons are busting on the scene.
Juice and gretzkyghosts liked this.
Mar. 1, 2019 at 9:28 p.m.
In Pridham we trust
Edited Mar. 1, 2019 at 9:35 p.m.
Thank you very much. First, thanks for your assessment of Mittelstadt and Zaitsev, second yes the Sabre prospect pool is very soft. They have only two NHL players from the DATM era, while it is too early to tell from the Botterill era (but it does look much better) no one has separated himself from the rest of the pack.
I do not see as much of Zaitsev as you do, but I do get to see the Buffalo defense (70 goals surrendered in the previous 17 games), and he may be better than any of them other than Dahlin, Montour and Ristolainen. I will obviously defer to your analysis.

Zaitsev is a serviceable dman, he's just overpaid by $1 maybe $1.5m. He's a solid 2 way dman when Leafs are playing in one if the 7-2 games, but when it's a tight game, and a solid forecheck, he does not have much confidence with the puck. Leafs breakout system of trying to stretch the ice more than any other team only magnifies his weaknesses, he'd be better suited to a team like LA that breaks out as a 5 man unit the majority of the time and he can stick to short passes.

If you really want him, it would probably take a 3rd/4th RD pick at most. Mainly because teams know Leafs will be pretty anxious to move him to clear space this summer, coupled with the fact he's no longer a good fit.

Lot of people on here will say Leafs have to pay to get rid of him, but imo he still has a bit of value. Lots of GMs will still look at the fact he logs 20 min, is a RHD, pretty solid on the PK and they'll have some interest.
Mar. 1, 2019 at 10:03 p.m.
Thank you all for your comments. I think you may notice the comments from the Leaf fan were more thoughtful, respectful and fact filled. I greatly appreciate that. It is the only way I can learn about other teams. I should mention, i am really pumped up, my Sabres broke a losing streak and knocked out the Penguins.

I can't comment on Buffalo, but imo a big part of Leafs player development now stems from flexing their financial muscle.

I've read articles stating they'll have as many as 12 coaches on the ice during Marlies practices. They'll let Keefe run his usual practice, then the skills coaches will split the team in to 2 groups and just work on individual skills.

The fact they've been able to develop guys like Moore, gauthier, Holl from guys with a 1% chance of playing in the NHL a few years ago to fringe or legit nhl players is a pretty good sign. Not too mention how the Kappy and johnssons are busting on the scene.

I think my farm club will start to develop players as well. Botterill inherited a mess in Buffalo and Rochester. He has already put his mark on Rochester, they will make the playoffs the years he has been the GM. it will just take some time.
Quoting: Juice

Thanks for you comment, I greatly appreciate hearing from other teams. IMO players are being rushed. Pilut performed really well, the leagues leading scorer at the time of the call, while he showed flashes of being the real deal he just was not ready. Ullmark has some serious mechanical issues and was forced into action. Thompson spent a year with the Blues so it would have been difficult to send him to Rochester, he obviously will be a really good player, he is still developing coordination that comes slow to a really large player. IMO it will be at least 2 more years before he will approach his potential.

The same for Mittelstadt, he was brilliant playing against other Junior players in the world championship and in the home town 3 on 3 young Sabre competition, but when he had to compete in the Prospect Challenge against older players, he was completely invisible for 2 and a half games. On a positive note he is still among the five best players to come out of the 2017 draft (but it was considered one of softest drafts in years). I would have preferred if he had spent a year in the AHL, but what do I know.

The rest, IDK. Management obviously thought Guhle was never going to become a top 4 defenseman, Nylander's development has stalled. Olofsson was player of the month in October then he fell off of a cliff, Asplund is no where to be seen, Pu was traded away and now even Carolina has given up on him. IMO Smith and O'Regan would have to be called "late bloomer" if they will ever bloom to be NHL players.

In reference to your comment about Babcock, as I watched the Boston prospects I thought I was watching Bruins. While Buffalo had the more talented players the baby Bruins were playing a team defense and offense, while Buffalo was looking for individual efforts. So while admire the job Botterill has done in Rochester, getting the players fully developed does not seem to be a priority.

I should mention some of that home grown talent was traded away by DATM. Armia, Compher and Lemieux would look better any of the third line players we currently have. Zadorov, McNabb, Myers and Pysyk would certainly make this team on defense (that is before Montour was brought in). In addition, who knows who would have been available if Murray had kept the 2 first round picks, 4 second round picks and 2 third round picks he traded away to build a last place team. That is not to mention the trades that he failed to pull the trigger for extra picks and players. So your assessment is correct there are not any home grown players, 3 years of building a team of cast offs and we-don't-wants ended with a prospect pool ranked near the bottom and team in last place.
Zaitsev is a serviceable dman, he's just overpaid by $1 maybe $1.5m. He's a solid 2 way dman when Leafs are playing in one if the 7-2 games, but when it's a tight game, and a solid forecheck, he does not have much confidence with the puck. Leafs breakout system of trying to stretch the ice more than any other team only magnifies his weaknesses, he'd be better suited to a team like LA that breaks out as a 5 man unit the majority of the time and he can stick to short passes.

If you really want him, it would probably take a 3rd/4th RD pick at most. Mainly because teams know Leafs will be pretty anxious to move him to clear space this summer, coupled with the fact he's no longer a good fit.

Lot of people on here will say Leafs have to pay to get rid of him, but imo he still has a bit of value. Lots of GMs will still look at the fact he logs 20 min, is a RHD, pretty solid on the PK and they'll have some interest.

I agree Zaitsev is serviceable, he plays a lot, with more DE zone starts, and he is right handed, all add to his value and unlike many of other Sabre buddies, he would be a good 3rd pairing which would make it possible to trade Ristolainen.
So Ristolainen for Kadri and Zaitev?
Juice liked this.
Mar. 1, 2019 at 10:34 p.m.
In Pridham we trust
Thank you all for your comments. I think you may notice the comments from the Leaf fan were more thoughtful, respectful and fact filled. I greatly appreciate that. It is the only way I can learn about other teams. I should mention, i am really pumped up, my Sabres broke a losing streak and knocked out the Penguins.

I think my farm club will start to develop players as well. Botterill inherited a mess in Buffalo and Rochester. He has already put his mark on Rochester, they will make the playoffs the years he has been the GM. it will just take some time.

Thanks for you comment, I greatly appreciate hearing from other teams. IMO players are being rushed. Pilut performed really well, the leagues leading scorer at the time of the call, while he showed flashes of being the real deal he just was not ready. Ullmark has some serious mechanical issues and was forced into action. Thompson spent a year with the Blues so it would have been difficult to send him to Rochester, he obviously will be a really good player, he is still developing coordination that comes slow to a really large player. IMO it will be at least 2 more years before he will approach his potential.

The same for Mittelstadt, he was brilliant playing against other Junior players in the world championship and in the home town 3 on 3 young Sabre competition, but when he had to compete in the Prospect Challenge against older players, he was completely invisible for 2 and a half games. On a positive note he is still among the five best players to come out of the 2017 draft (but it was considered one of softest drafts in years). I would have preferred if he had spent a year in the AHL, but what do I know.

The rest, IDK. Management obviously thought Guhle was never going to become a top 4 defenseman, Nylander's development has stalled. Olofsson was player of the month in October then he fell off of a cliff, Asplund is no where to be seen, Pu was traded away and now even Carolina has given up on him. IMO Smith and O'Regan would have to be called "late bloomer" if they will ever bloom to be NHL players.

In reference to your comment about Babcock, as I watched the Boston prospects I thought I was watching Bruins. While Buffalo had the more talented players the baby Bruins were playing a team defense and offense, while Buffalo was looking for individual efforts. So while admire the job Botterill has done in Rochester, getting the players fully developed does not seem to be a priority.

I should mention some of that home grown talent was traded away by DATM. Armia, Compher and Lemieux would look better any of the third line players we currently have. Zadorov, McNabb, Myers and Pysyk would certainly make this team on defense (that is before Montour was brought in). In addition, who knows who would have been available if Murray had kept the 2 first round picks, 4 second round picks and 2 third round picks he traded away to build a last place team. That is not to mention the trades that he failed to pull the trigger for extra picks and players. So your assessment is correct there are not any home grown players, 3 years of building a team of cast offs and we-don't-wants ended with a prospect pool ranked near the bottom and team in last place.

I agree Zaitsev is serviceable, he plays a lot, with more DE zone starts, and he is right handed, all add to his value and unlike many of other Sabre buddies, he would be a good 3rd pairing which would make it possible to trade Ristolainen.
So Ristolainen for Kadri and Zaitev?

Thanks for the updates on Sabres system, some good insight there. Once the big team starts to see some success, I'm sure they'll be able to fully develop their prospects, and not have to rush as many players.

I'd take that trade, on the hopes that Risto pairs well with one of Rielly or Muzzin (prob better with Muzz).
Mar. 1, 2019 at 11:16 p.m.
Thanks for the updates on Sabres system, some good insight there. Once the big team starts to see some success, I'm sure they'll be able to fully develop their prospects, and not have to rush as many players.

I'd take that trade, on the hopes that Risto pairs well with one of Rielly or Muzzin (prob better with Muzz).

I discussed Ristolainen for Kadri and Zaitsev before and posted it. Of course those 3 Sabre fans hated it. I may be in error but Ristolainen for Kadri seems reasonable, and Zaitsev would be better than Nelson on the right side. I often post outrageous trades just to see the reaction, thank you for your's and the other leaf fans. TBH you can tell who understands hockey by the depth of the comments.
Barilko14 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll