Forums/Armchair-GM

Mitch Marner Update

Created by: Juice
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 1, 2019
Published: Mar. 1, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
So...on Marner....I learned today about what his ASK has been. Not saying this is what he gets...but I had it confirmed (and it's been reported already), that his off season ask was for an 8 year deal @ $9m AAV. Leafs rejected and countered around $7-7.5m....no deal

Then we heard around Christmas that Dubas was meeting with his agent to see where things stood. His new ask? 8yrs $11m AAV. I don't think the leafs even countered with anything.

Other GM's have already approached the subject of offer sheets and let his agent know there will be 4 year deals on the table north around $11.75m...and if the leafs don't meet his price...to sign the offer sheet and let them match it so that he can walk right into free agency.

No comments made on if Marner would actually sign the offer sheet just that teams are ready to F- the leafs if given the chance

Ultimate prediction was that leafs get him signed for 3yrs @ $9.5

Who knows what the numbers on Johnsson and Kapanen will be. I can see Johnsson going to arbitration which is a roll of the dice. But figure we have $5-$6m we need to lop off and backfill
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$2,800,000
2$3,300,000
3$9,500,000
2$800,000
2$800,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$900,000
1$2,000,000
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,000,000$82,684,699$0$0$315,301
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,800,000$2,800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$11,634,000$11,634,000
C
UFA - 5
$3,300,000$3,300,000
RW
UFA - 3
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RW
UFA - 6
$700,000$700,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
G
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$800,000$800,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 1, 2019 at 9:14 p.m.
Subbanator
If I was him I wouldn't sign for anything less than Mathews
Mar. 1, 2019 at 9:18 p.m.
Quoting: Subbanator7667

Leafs are determined to get him for less...I don't buy any deals I see on here where he signs for longer term and less money...and I'm not sure how much they want to do a 5 year deal and have him, Matthews and Nylander all come up for deals at the same time. His price at 6-8yrs will be at Matthews' $ or more, IMO.

That's why the 3yr deal under $10m is the one that probably gets donw
Mar. 1, 2019 at 9:20 p.m.
3 years @ $9.3, his jersey #. Sounds fair by your reasoning. And it's less than Kucherov, who is the best RW in the NHL. He is also waiting for Rantanen, Laine, Pointe, Stone to sign first I bet.
Juice liked this.
Mar. 1, 2019 at 9:33 p.m.
Quoting: draft_em_sign_em_trade_em
3 years @ $9.3, his jersey #. Sounds fair by your reasoning. And it's less than Kucherov, who is the best RW in the NHL. He is also waiting for Rantanen, Laine, Pointe, Stone to sign first I bet.

It was mostly Matthews his agent compares him to most so they were always going to wait for him to sign first and compare his contract to their demands.

I think they’d ultimately settle for around $1m less than Matthews on a similar term (which makes sense given the 8yrs, $11m ask)....and 3 @ $9.3 has a nice sentimentality to it
Mar. 1, 2019 at 9:40 p.m.
Quoting: Juice
It was mostly Matthews his agent compares him to most so they were always going to wait for him to sign first and compare his contract to their demands.

I think they’d ultimately settle for around $1m less than Matthews on a similar term (which makes sense given the 8yrs, $11m ask)....and 3 @ $9.3 has a nice sentimentality to it

Looking ahead a 3 year deal puts both Marner, Kadri and Reilly on a collusion course. So just as Bozak and JVR were pushed out for Tavares and now Gardiner, Hainsey and another pushed out for Matthews, Nylander, if Marner gets 3 years Kadri walks as an UFA to keep Mitch.
Mar. 1, 2019 at 9:48 p.m.
Quoting: Subbanator7667

Sad bad true in the NHL is you can't compare C to W , so Marner's agent is a fool for trying to get Marner a Tavares/Matthews #. Marner's agent needs to ask for Kucherov, Draisaitl, Laine and Rantanen #'s.
Mar. 1, 2019 at 9:59 p.m.
Quoting: draft_em_sign_em_trade_em
Sad bad true in the NHL is you can't compare C to W , so Marner's agent is a fool for trying to get Marner a Tavares/Matthews #. Marner's agent needs to ask for Kucherov, Draisaitl, Laine and Rantanen #'s.

With Marner, the argument is there that he’s just as valuable as a C. He doesn’t play a traditional RW. He’s all over the ice, great at deflecting or breaking up passes, and elite skater and playmaker, and a PP QB.

I don’t think he’ll get Matthews level money, but it’s not hard for Ferris to justify that as their ask.
Mar. 1, 2019 at 10:12 p.m.
With Marner, the argument is there that he’s just as valuable as a C. He doesn’t play a traditional RW. He’s all over the ice, great at deflecting or breaking up passes, and elite skater and playmaker, and a PP QB.

I don’t think he’ll get Matthews level money, but it’s not hard for Ferris to justify that as their ask.

Kucherov signed a bridge contract too, so Marner can ask for that percentile, not Kucherov's current one.
TML1991 liked this.
Mar. 1, 2019 at 10:20 p.m.
CHI NYI
I think it will be Nylander 2.0 tbh. Truth be told, I don't think he'll sign an offer sheet, doesn't strike me as that kind of guy. But I think there will be another hold out but I think this time, his camp will win.
Mar. 1, 2019 at 10:27 p.m.
Quoting: ForsbergForVezina
I think it will be Nylander 2.0 tbh. Truth be told, I don't think he'll sign an offer sheet, doesn't strike me as that kind of guy. But I think there will be another hold out but I think this time, his camp will win.

I was under the impression that Nylanders camp came out as the winners of his negotiation.

I hope you’re wrong on Marner. You’d think he’d see what a rough go Nylander has had and would want to avoid it....but then I don’t see his camp getting forced into a deal if they don’t get what they deem is fair.

Important to keep in mind that Marner has been battling a ‘small’ stereotype his whole life and always
overcame the odds. They will push hard to get him fair market value...and that might mean an offer sheet to force their hand
Mar. 1, 2019 at 10:35 p.m.
CHI NYI
I was under the impression that Nylanders camp came out as the winners of his negotiation.

I hope you’re wrong on Marner. You’d think he’d see what a rough go Nylander has had and would want to avoid it....but then I don’t see his camp getting forced into a deal if they don’t get what they deem is fair.

Important to keep in mind that Marner has been battling a ‘small’ stereotype his whole life and always
overcame the odds. They will push hard to get him fair market value...and that might mean an offer sheet to force their hand

Nylander would've gotten a lot more on the open market, so I guess its a matter of perspective.

An offer sheet would make things very interesting. If someone's crazy enough to do it, everything goes out the window, but I honestly just can't see it
Mar. 1, 2019 at 10:53 p.m.
C,mon Leafs...Please

For the money they are asking for I expect nothing less than multiple Cups. To be demanding the highest salaries for their positions in the league they need to be playing EVERY game as the best players in the league. It is pathetic how much these players feel they are worth when they can't win a playoff round or beat the NYI. They wilt under pressure and can't solve any defensive coverage assigned against them. Why is no one asking them these questions?

But yeah...they are worth $11.6 +, $6.96+ and what?? $11 MIL??? Ridiculous!! Trying to compete with Tampa roster who stars make $9.5, $8.5 and $7.875 MIL. Boston's star forwards make $6.875, $6.666 and $6.125. We will NOT have the depth on the lower lines and defence.

Dubas is tying up so much money in just 4 players who haven't won anything that the Leafs will never be able to compete against properly built teams are going to suck again soon. I guess we can get all happy and pretend beating a horribly run Oilers team is the same feeling as winning the Stanley Cup.

Tavares, Matthews, Nylander and Marner demands are costing us Johnsson, Kapanen, Brown, Gardiner and soon Kadri. After being a fan hoping for a good team for 45 years I can see it is still not going to work out when it was set up perfectly with the bad contracts being traded, Kadri, Rielly and others signed to decent contracts.
GenXHockey and Goulet liked this.
Mar. 1, 2019 at 11:02 p.m.
C,mon Leafs...Please

Nylander's camp definitely won that standoff. A 20 goal scorer making almost $7 MIL. What's Johnsson and Kapanen worth now?

Nylander's father's greed kept William out of the line up so long that it has been bad since he joined the Leafs as he was a step behind, he threw off the team's chemistry and had no hands. If Marner does the same I would rather have him sit the year and start with everyone else the following season.

I feel that Nylander's desire to get overpaid and sit out might have cost the Leafs at the very least home ice advantage in the playoffs with Boston. If they don't win 2 rounds this year then I feel the season is a failure based on the hype we are getting crammed down our throats about how awesome they are.
palhal and Juice liked this.
Mar. 2, 2019 at 12:09 a.m.
Quoting: Britishbulldog
For the money they are asking for I expect nothing less than multiple Cups. To be demanding the highest salaries for their positions in the league they need to be playing EVERY game as the best players in the league. It is pathetic how much these players feel they are worth when they can't win a playoff round or beat the NYI. They wilt under pressure and can't solve any defensive coverage assigned against them. Why is no one asking them these questions?

But yeah...they are worth $11.6 +, $6.96+ and what?? $11 MIL??? Ridiculous!! Trying to compete with Tampa roster who stars make $9.5, $8.5 and $7.875 MIL. Boston's star forwards make $6.875, $6.666 and $6.125. We will NOT have the depth on the lower lines and defence.

Dubas is tying up so much money in just 4 players who haven't won anything that the Leafs will never be able to compete against properly built teams are going to suck again soon. I guess we can get all happy and pretend beating a horribly run Oilers team is the same feeling as winning the Stanley Cup.

Tavares, Matthews, Nylander and Marner demands are costing us Johnsson, Kapanen, Brown, Gardiner and soon Kadri. After being a fan hoping for a good team for 45 years I can see it is still not going to work out when it was set up perfectly with the bad contracts being traded, Kadri, Rielly and others signed to decent contracts.

Dubas looks like JFJ 2.0, Leaf Nation is in denial about it right now, but it's true. Ken Dryden (Leafs team Pres. at the time) pushed Living Legend Pat Quinn out and brought in the book nerd/Scout JFJ as a rookie GM and the Leafs went downhill. Now Shanahan pushes Living Legend Lou Lam out and brings up a number/stat guy Dubas in as another rookie GM. Do you see a connection here ?

Put your trust and faith in old school NHL guys, not book/numbers nerds new age millennial brats.
Mar. 2, 2019 at 12:13 a.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
I could see a 9.25 from leafs and new face and spokeman for Rogers/bell for about the same, if he’s a successful lifetime leaf he will be worth more than any offer sheet. Hope he has good representation
Britishbulldog liked this.
Mar. 2, 2019 at 12:25 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Leafs have put themselves in this position by overpaying Nylander and Matthews. Nylander by about 700,000 and Matthews 1.2m. Marner thinks he should be on that gravy train too, But realistically when compared to NHL wingers, and if you want to say guys coming off his ELC, even 8m might be high.
The bar for for 4 first rounders via offer sheets will be about 10.5m AAV....that's a 5 year deal. That's the only leverage Marner has. IMO the Leafs should have held firm with Nylander and even not sign him to such a high contract last November 30. It's going to get ugly soon in LeafLand and all about money.
It's like when you started grade nine and your parents gave you a raise in your allowance to 5 dollars a week from your 2 dollars. You were really happy. Wow a buck a day. Then you found out your friends were making a buck a day....for 7 days a week as they were getting 7 dollars a week. Man, did you feel your parents were short changing you.
Mar. 2, 2019 at 12:57 a.m.
Murph
I think Marner goes long term, at 10,160,000. In the short term it looks horrible, but in the long term its probably a deal. Regardless of what he gets, Kadri and Brown are gone if they have any hope of signing one or both of Kapanen and Johannson. I could see Marleau move to 3C, and Marchment and Bracco advance to the Big Club. Unless Hainsey is willing to take a major haircut he is not resigned, and Babs will have to learn to live without him and embrace whoever takes his place.
Mar. 2, 2019 at 1:43 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
One question.... why did dubas give any GM’s permission to talk to Marner agent?
Mar. 2, 2019 at 2:11 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Edited Mar. 2, 2019 at 2:19 a.m.
Quoting: palhal
Leafs have put themselves in this position by overpaying Nylander and Matthews. Nylander by about 700,000 and Matthews 1.2m. Marner thinks he should be on that gravy train too, But realistically when compared to NHL wingers, and if you want to say guys coming off his ELC, even 8m might be high.
The bar for for 4 first rounders via offer sheets will be about 10.5m AAV....that's a 5 year deal. That's the only leverage Marner has. IMO the Leafs should have held firm with Nylander and even not sign him to such a high contract last November 30. It's going to get ugly soon in LeafLand and all about money.
It's like when you started grade nine and your parents gave you a raise in your allowance to 5 dollars a week from your 2 dollars. You were really happy. Wow a buck a day. Then you found out your friends were making a buck a day....for 7 days a week as they were getting 7 dollars a week. Man, did you feel your parents were short changing you.

Personally I think you let marner walk and take the four first rounders, sign A top pairing RHD and call it a day. If that is in fact what Marner’s ask is. I don’t see it as a viable option to overpay marner by nearly 3m just to keep him. If he feels the grass is greener he can go play somewhere else for the big money.

I believe the leafs are better off with players who want to win.
Goulet, palhal, Britishbulldog and 1 other person liked this.
Mar. 2, 2019 at 2:18 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Oops
Mar. 2, 2019 at 3:16 a.m.
Edited Mar. 2, 2019 at 3:27 a.m.

This.

Dubarelli set the bar to high and now Marner, Kapanen and Johnsson can ride on 5 x 11.634 M as a precedens for two 60+ points seasons ( Matthews talent is undoubtable, but McDavid's contract looks like candy wagon comparing to this )

My take on how things should be handled :

Quoting: Laudan
Matthews....11M ( 7y ).........cause 69 + 63 + "75" and riding on hype ( otherwise points-contribution would make him 8M max )
Marner.........8 M ( 7y ).......cause 61 + 69 + "90" and taking "home discount" ( otherwise points-contribution would make him 8,5M max )
Nylander.....7M ( 7y )..............cause 61 + 61........... deal done for 6 years ( otherwise point-contibution would make him 6,5M max)
Kapanen.....??..........................cause 9 + "50"..........doesnt earn you nothing over 3M, so he'll proly get 2y Hymans bridge deal
Mar. 2, 2019 at 8:06 a.m.
Quoting: Britishbulldog
Nylander's camp definitely won that standoff. A 20 goal scorer making almost $7 MIL. What's Johnsson and Kapanen worth now?

Nylander's father's greed kept William out of the line up so long that it has been bad since he joined the Leafs as he was a step behind, he threw off the team's chemistry and had no hands. If Marner does the same I would rather have him sit the year and start with everyone else the following season.

I feel that Nylander's desire to get overpaid and sit out might have cost the Leafs at the very least home ice advantage in the playoffs with Boston. If they don't win 2 rounds this year then I feel the season is a failure based on the hype we are getting crammed down our throats about how awesome they are.

When they signed Rielly a few years back I thought the number was high. He hadn't done anything but had the draft pedigree and they paid for potential. Now it looks genius. Nylander could be the same. He is overpaid today but if he improves upon his career highs, his deal could offer tremendous value.

Matthews however, can't. Why they gave him a blank cheque is beyond me. And now Marner wants the same?

It appears as though the Nylander negotiations crippled Leaf management and what they do with Marner will be very telling. Had Nylander not held out, what might the difference in points look like between he and Marner this year? It was 8 points over the previous two years and now Marner's belief is that is worth 4M more?

The wheels are coming off in Leafland.
palhal and Britishbulldog liked this.
Mar. 2, 2019 at 8:53 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Funny how the tide has turned. In the Ferguson/Burke/Nonis era, Leafs management overpaid crappy players and as a result had a crappy team
Now in the Lou/Dubas era, the Leafs overpay for good players...which will force them to trade good players at a discount and handcuff their ability to ever become a true top contender.
Mar. 2, 2019 at 10:28 a.m.
Edited Mar. 2, 2019 at 10:37 a.m.
Funny how the tide has turned. In the Ferguson/Burke/Nonis era, Leafs management overpaid crappy players and as a result had a crappy team
Now in the Lou/Dubas era, the Leafs overpay for good players...which will force them to trade good players at a discount and handcuff their ability to ever become a true top contender.

Way to blow out the "buyer" status indeed
Mar. 2, 2019 at 10:39 a.m.
C,mon Leafs...Please
Quoting: Jamiepo
One question.... why did dubas give any GM’s permission to talk to Marner agent?

I didn't hear about that....what are you referring to?

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll